BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New captain

All three mentioned above would fit the bill IMO. Mulgrew would top it if he is defiently staying and was not injury prone. Conway I believe puts his heart into the club but how much has he left in the tank... Still believe he'll do a job for us next season. My personal choice would be Bennett, right attitude and will be an important player for us to try and get straight back up. 

Someone in the pub told me last night he'd seen Matt Derbyshire at Ewood. He could hardly speak, let alone stand, but he's about as reliable as most of these attention grabbers on Twitter.

However Graham wouldn't be the worst choice if he's still here and playing.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Someone on twitter says he heard Danny Graham will be captain this season

I could see that. Might be Mowbray's tactic to try and focus him more. Give him the responsibility and hope he reacts positively and on a more consistent basis.

There's no doubting his talent and on his day, he's a great player. Might be a way to try and get more out of him. 

Regarding Lowe, I don't think we will see him sign for anybody before 1st August (not that I care either way). There's been a few occasions over the years where if a free agent player signs for a club before 1st August, he will then forgoe a further one off payment from his previous club, despite his contract ending on 30th June. If a free agent is moving onto a higher wage then it would  be irrelevant as they would earn more for signing before August, if he's moving onto a lower wage, which let's face it, I think it's pretty much unanimous from everybody that Lowe isn't going to be earning 15k per week anywhere else, probably for the rest of his career. Therefore it would make sense to him financially to wait until August at the earliest.

Now I don't know if this is a common thing in all player contracts, could be an FA thing, I could be talking absolute bullstein, but I seem to remember this happening and being discussed on a few occasions in the past. I think this happened with Matthew Upson and a few others.

On 05/07/2017 at 21:12, davulsukur said:

I could see that. Might be Mowbray's tactic to try and focus him more. Give him the responsibility and hope he reacts positively and on a more consistent basis.

There's no doubting his talent and on his day, he's a great player. Might be a way to try and get more out of him. 

I think that's a terrible reason to give the captaincy to someone. It should go to someone who deserves it, not somebody who needs a kick up the arse!

20 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I think that's a terrible reason to give the captaincy to someone. It should go to someone who deserves it, not somebody who needs a kick up the arse!

Totally agree.

Also I tend not to favour strikers as Team Captains. They should be focused only on their task and selfish, in a good goal scoring way.

Also not in the best position to communicate to others from what tends to be an isolated position.

In Graham's case he probably will be subbed late on in many games for tactical reasons.

I googled Jason Lowe to see any speculation around him. Decided to read his wikipedia for some key events as a Blackburn player. This part makes me feel physically sick:

Despite this, Lowe returned and helped the side win back–to–back victories against Brentford and Newcastle United on 19 November 2016 and 26 November 2016 respectively, resulting the club moving out of the bottom three.[58] However, as the 2016–17 season progressed, the club’s form dipped, resulting them in the relegation zone. As captain, Lowe began to help go back to their winning ways, including setting up a winning goal against Aston Villa on 29 April 2017, to ease their relegation.[59][60]However, on the last game of the season, Lowe was unable to help the club avoid relegation despite winning 3–1 against Brentford.

Lowe didn't begin to do anything last season. Our best football came without him. 

5 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I googled Jason Lowe to see any speculation around him. Decided to read his wikipedia for some key events as a Blackburn player. This part makes me feel physically sick:

Despite this, Lowe returned and helped the side win back–to–back victories against Brentford and Newcastle United on 19 November 2016 and 26 November 2016 respectively, resulting the club moving out of the bottom three.[58] However, as the 2016–17 season progressed, the club’s form dipped, resulting them in the relegation zone. As captain, Lowe began to help go back to their winning ways, including setting up a winning goal against Aston Villa on 29 April 2017, to ease their relegation.[59][60]However, on the last game of the season, Lowe was unable to help the club avoid relegation despite winning 3–1 against Brentford.

Lowe didn't begin to do anything last season. Our best football came without him. 

Whoever wrote that can write my next CV for me. And the next Harry Potter spin-off. 

Fantastic. ????

Archived