BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

22 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The request for voluntary redundancies at Ewood.  It's old news to be honest and totally expected but still a horrible situation for those affected.  

No one is "affected" because it's voluntary. Compulsory redundancy however.... 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

No one is "affected" because it's voluntary. Compulsory redundancy however.... 

Which is the likely next step. I can't understand how the imminent threat of redundancy and instability wouldn't be deemed to affect someone. I've been there ( when the shoe trade was dying ) and there were lots of worried and upset people. Granted, there were a few young lads happy at the prospect of getting 6 weeks wage for leaving and because it was a stop-gap for me, I didn't have any personal fears but at that time, all of my immediate family worked there and knew very little else.  A big workplace is a community and it's a real shame imo.

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thats tough. The sad reality of what ownership under Venkys has lead the club too. A family club that treated people well and punched above its weight. 

Having said that, the redundancies are voluntary and in a relatively small number. Still, sad for those affected 

Billionaires my ar$e

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Will we see a signing today?...bury the bad news so to speak.

I think they are attempting to bury the news about redundancies with the 'news' about Ben Benson signing a new deal to stay on as Goalkeeping Coach. They've now had 3 stories on the website in the last 24 hours about it.

55 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

4 & 5 slightly worrying, potential Mulgrew & Lenihan replacements.

8 hopefully the sign of another attacker. 

I think most people agree we need another center half, so I wouldn't assume leaving those numbers free means someone will leave. Besides if they did, the new person could just take their number :) I wouldn't look too much into the squad numbers. 

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Which is the likely next step. I can't understand how the imminent threat of redundancy and instability wouldn't be deemed to affect someone. I've been there ( when the shoe trade was dying ) and there were lots of worried and upset people. Granted, there were a few young lads happy at the prospect of getting 6 weeks wage for leaving and because it was a stop-gap for me, I didn't have any personal fears but at that time, all of my immediate family worked there and knew very little else.  A big workplace is a community and it's a real shame imo.

There will be plenty of people at the club who will be fed up with the way things are going and will jump at the chance of taking redundancy and making a fresh start elsewhere. So it's sad the club is contracting because of our relegations and it's worrying for employees who might yet face the prospect of compulsory reduancies but there's nothing for anyone to get upset aboutt at present. 

Voluntary redundancy is fine if it works for those concerned.  For some, close to retirement and able to get ready access to a pension it can be the icing on the cake.

The only surprise its that it has taken years for the penny to drop at Ewood.  I have always thought the non-footballing side was too heavy, not the best organised and generally unfit for purpose. 

Excuse the pun but in the scale and scheme of things, this is a 'chicken s h I t' issue and employing two of the big boys from the accounting world is akin to taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  Given the scale of their fees and the redundancy costs, the payback in terms of employment cost savings must, in my opinion, be many years which is a nonsense.  Commercial organisations generally look for a payback in the 12 to 18 month range at worse.

It's like fiddling whilst Rome burns given the £millions squandered on agents' fees and contract terminations.

In an organisation of Rovers' size, it's incredulous to think such an exercise couldn't have been undertaken by Silvester and Cheston.  Perhaps it's just indicative that our executive management are so incapable. 

Just now, Mercer said:

Voluntary redundancy is fine if it works for those concerned.  For some, close to retirement and able to get ready access to a pension it can be the icing on the cake.....

You're a very good poster as long as you stay away from the football. 

Why do we not have a commercial director? Accrington Stanley have a commercial director, but Blackburn Rovers don't.

Sob stories about not having any money only stretch so far when the club isn't making every effort it can to boost income.

Rather than spending their time slashing staff numbers it might be a good idea to look at ways at improving revenue streams by recruiting an experienced and capable commercial director. Just a thought.

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why do we not have a commercial director? Accrington Stanley have a commercial director, but Blackburn Rovers don't.

Sob stories about not having any money only stretch so far when the club isn't making every effort it can to boost income.

Rather than spending their time slashing staff numbers it might be a good idea to look at ways at improving revenue streams by recruiting an experienced and capable commercial director. Just a thought.

It's not rocket science.  Any commercial organisation should seek to maximise revenues and minimise costs.  Sadly, for Rovers, I think they've failed in both areas and the revenue boat has been drifting on the rocks for some time.  I think the damage to our brand equity, and therefore commercial attractiveness, has been enormous and it will take an awful long time to repair, if ever it can be,

I always think Rovers have punched below their weight on the commercial side even when we were 'flying' as a club; £millions coming into the club on the commercial side, unprecedented for Rovers, I think disguised the fact that we could and should have been doing much better with a bit more nous.  I make that observation from personal working experience on commercials in the football, cricket, rugby (both codes) and horse racing industries. 

Similarly with costs, some of the biggest organisations in the world are absolutely ruthless when it comes to driving out and managing costs and it's part of the reason why they can make £billion takeovers work financially.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Why hopefully Ripley?Do you not rate Raya?Surely if Ripley is moving on loan to a league 1 club surely it's to start as number 1?I'd rather we signed an experienced goalkeeper

:blink: I would like whoever we sign to be good enough to create competition. Young or old, why does that matter? 

Just now, islander200 said:

Why hopefully Ripley?Do you not rate Raya?Surely if Ripley is moving on loan to a league 1 club surely it's to start as number 1?I'd rather we signed an experienced goalkeeper

What do you mean by experienced? Age? Number of appearances?

Ripley has been first keeper for 3 different clubs with loan spells for Øresund, Motherwell and Oldham clocking up over 100 appearances. Proven at this exact level (Div 1) with 18 clean sheets which was best in the division. 

I understand the argument of having a "worse" backup keeper to give Raya his deserved chance, but I rather have two great keepers pushing for the place like Filan/Friedel. That said I don't think it's Ripley because I think Boro would rather sell than loan and Mowbray is looking to spend the Steele money in other areas.

4 minutes ago, briansol said:

What do you mean by experienced? Age? Number of appearances?

Ripley has been first keeper for 3 different clubs with loan spells for Øresund, Motherwell and Oldham clocking up over 100 appearances. Proven at this exact level (Div 1) with 18 clean sheets which was best in the division. 

I understand the argument of having a "worse" backup keeper to give Raya his deserved chance, but I rather have two great keepers pushing for the place like Filan/Friedel. That said I don't think it's Ripley because I think Boro would rather sell than loan and Mowbray is looking to spend the Steele money in other areas.

In a way I think buying Ripley would be a signal of intent  

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

:blink: I would like whoever we sign to be good enough to create competition. Young or old, why does that matter? 

My point being is that I think it's a strange move if it is Ripley.Surely Ripley will only be joining a club on loan that he will be guaranteed to at least start the season as number 1

In my eye's Raya is potentially a future star,I'd rather an older more experienced goalkeeper like a Shay Given,someone who can step in for Raya when needs be And someone Raya can learn from.

I'm not a fan of the loan market unless we have an agreement in place to purchase the player at the end of the loan deal If we choose to do so.

Just think the signing of Ripley if it is him would be strange

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

My point being is that I think it's a strange move if it is Ripley.Surely Ripley will only be joining a club on loan that he will be guaranteed to at least start the season as number 1

In my eye's Raya is potentially a future star,I'd rather an older more experienced goalkeeper like a Shay Given,someone who can step in for Raya when needs be And someone Raya can learn from.

I'm not a fan of the loan market unless we have an agreement in place to purchase the player at the end of the loan deal If we choose to do so.

Just think the signing of Ripley if it is him would be strange

I totally understand and think it's most likely scenario. In the unlikely event Ripley is coming, I expect Raya to start and Ripley being promised it will be a fair fight for the shirt. 

Given is a decent shout. Should have enough experience allright, played for us for 20 years ago in the same team as Ripley's dad (Stuart "King of crosses" Ripley) 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In a way I think buying Ripley would be a signal of intent  

Probably would. A bit like playing Football Manager when a deal is too good to pass up even though should problably use the money elsewhere B)

Archived