BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn

I was back in Blackburn today, always good to go back on a non football day.

The reason for the post was the Wainwright Bridge, decked out in the famous Blue N White, looked really well and I'd not seen it before in those colours.

Small thing I know, but made an old Rover happy. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 21/05/2022 at 19:01, MelchesterRover said:

https://www.ents24.com/festival/summer-fest-22/6417392

Summerfest cancelled? Must have been late notice. 

I was only speaking to someone last night that said they were "looking forward to going".  Ooops!

Poor ticket sales?

I rember there was a specific reason given at the time of cancellation. Cant remember what it was though sorry

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

They'd probably have done better to just make it a one day event this year and cut out most of the chaff performers

Exactly. A one-day 80s show would have done well but 3 days with D-tier headliners and a load of filler was never going to work.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Exactly. A one-day 80s show would have done well but 3 days with D-tier headliners and a load of filler was never going to work.

Yeah, the morei think of it themore ridiculous it seems! No way wasa 3 day event going to work here, even if they'd added a few slightly more current pop acts. 

Also as someone living with earshot of every sylabol that comes from the speakers at ewood.. I wouldn't normally be a pRty pooper but it would have started to really wear me down after 1 day of having to hear it (not to mention the increased traffic & parking issues) 

• 3 weeks later...

Wifey has been sounding me out about a move back to the UK in the future. Now I don't want to move to Sheffield, where her family live. I'm familiar with some areas in the Peak District that are close, but no too close to Sheffield. But what are some nice quiet areas in East Lancs worth considering? 

17 minutes ago, Nate said:

Wifey has been sounding me out about a move back to the UK in the future. Now I don't want to move to Sheffield, where her family live. I'm familiar with some areas in the Peak District that are close, but no too close to Sheffield. But what are some nice quiet areas in East Lancs worth considering? 

Lots of lovely places. Anywhere in the Ribble valley, though property can be expensive.

55 minutes ago, Nate said:

Thanks. I'll suss some areas out. That way I'll have a dossier of places not near home 😉

Property prices over here right now are off the charts Nate, I can concur with Jim and K-Hod, Ribble Valley is nice.

If the Mrs wants to be close to the family, but not to close, lovely places 40 mins North of Sheffield - Penistone, Holmfirth, Denby Dale, Shelley, New Mill, Kirkburton and Meltham.

Happy hunting. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

With all due respect, that's piffle

Very true. I lived in Greenwich for a short time, it was a nice part of London. Stayed in Melmerby in the Yorkshire Dales. Would move there tomorrow if money was no issue. We could make a killing on our house, but how that translates into buying in the UK we will see. Anyway, it's just a thought at the moment. We have had some of our best friends move back to the UK, so naturally my wife is talking about it. 

Yes the UK's expensive, yes there are social problems which we are generations off solving, yes politically we've had better days (IMO), but I am genuinely amazed this country can contain cities like Bath, York and Edinburgh; countryside like the Cotswolds, Lake District and Snowdonia; one of the world's and some of Europe's foremost cities; and more sport, culture and recreational activity than you can shake a stick at all pretty much within a day's drive of each other; an entire continent on your doorstep and the most successful town football team on the planet (probably) and people still think it's a shithole. What seriously do people want?

• Like 5

On 08/06/2022 at 10:38, Upside Down said:

I can guarantee that there is nowhere in England that can be anything near as nice as Australia. 

Would have no interest at all in ever even visiting Australia! It has nothing to offer! It just looks like a big dull retirement community to me. Completely irrelevant country

I'd genuinely have a go at living in any country on the European continent before even considering Australia! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to put this here as it's as good a place as any.

I had the opportunity to return to the UK a few weeks ago. I'd not been since before Covid. I always find it fascinating as it's the place I grew up but doesn't quite feel that way now.

Some observations that I noticed;

Johnson's time was clearly up. 

Far too many cars - that hasn't changed. Cars park everywhere, without regard for clogging up roads. Accidents cause major major delays. I was a 15 mile traffic jam on the M6. Another half an hour lost on an A road due to a fender bender.

The Ribble Valley is beautiful. 

Food and beer selections were excellent. 

The government needs to sort out airports. Manchester was a mess. It was filthy, disorganised, and looks like an office park with a runway in the middle. Nearly all USA flights leave from Heathrow now. How is that good for leveling up if all transatlantic embarkation starts and ends in the capital?

People were much nicer. There were more smiles than normal. Shop staff always willing to help out. Strangers talking to you. Very odd, but pleasant nonetheless.

Loads of small supermarkets everywhere, Tesco Express types. The Bull's Head in Wilpshire is now a Co-op. 

At less than $1.25 to sterling I made out. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Posted in nostalgia thread too, I hope that’s ok mods.

Been in and around the lakes over the past few days, set off back to Yorkshire earlier today but ended up here:

B1FDECD2-C188-4725-9DAF-F5AFB8C042F6.thumb.jpeg.d1034322ef738a2b53463c9d81fbb8b5.jpeg

Looking superb in the afternoon Blackburn sunshine.

Jack Walker, we will never forget.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

Time to shut the board if mods had an issue with a Jack Walker tribute being posted!

It’s now been 22 years this month, and I still think of him every time I see the ground he built come into view as I walk down LBR…

Edited by Mattyblue

I was wondering if someone could help me out with this question. 

Bank in the mid seventies, my dad ran the sun hotel on Astley gate in blackburn. We lived in the flat above. One day, so the story goes, when I was four years old, I went walkabout on my own, and was later found in a pub around the corner, trying to drink some fella's milk stout. 

Just spoke to my mum and she seems to think the name of the pub was the dirty duck pub. This seems to have been on market Street Lane. Looks like it later became Mr g's nightclub. I'm gutted it's been turned into houses now. 

My question is, what road number was it, what building is it now. If like to revisit the scene of my crime next time I go back to Blackburn. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Edit: seems like it's gone forever, http://www.blackburnpast.com/2013/04/market-st-lane-viewed-from-mincing-lane.html?m=1

Edited by broadsword