BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn

My lingering memory of the Dirty Duck was having your pint served in a plastic glass due to the violence which was always breaking out in this place.  Its name was often blamed for its bad reputation.  Eventually it reverted to its proper name of the Castle.

Sadly, it was demolished and nothing was ever built on its old site.  It's part of the Market Street Lane/Fleming Square car park.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2022 at 07:33, Roving Mick said:

My lingering memory of the Dirty Duck was having your pint served in a plastic glass due to the violence which was always breaking out in this place.  Its name was often blamed for its bad reputation.  Eventually it reverted to its proper name of the Castle.

Sadly, it was demolished and nothing was ever built on its old site.  It's part of the Market Street Lane/Fleming Square car park.

It was great after a match, downstairs 😁

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/21250541.darwen-pub-selling-6p-pints-honour-queen/

I wouldn't say I've never had a pint at this time of day but goodness me, 10am on a weekday!! The local public health teams will having kittens.

An East Lancashire pub is selling bargain-price pints today (September 9) in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II who died on Thursday.

Entwistle Hotel, on Entwistle Street in Darwen, will be selling 6p pints from 10am to 11am today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/21250541.darwen-pub-selling-6p-pints-honour-queen/

I wouldn't say I've never had a pint at this time of day but goodness me, 10am on a weekday!! The local public health teams will having kittens.

An East Lancashire pub is selling bargain-price pints today (September 9) in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II who died on Thursday.

Entwistle Hotel, on Entwistle Street in Darwen, will be selling 6p pints from 10am to 11am today.

Was in there when we beat Wolves 3-2 away in May 2011, final game of the season when we avoided the drop.

It was the only pub showing the game for what seemed liked miles. We’d been on a wild goose chase to a pub in Egerton before ‘about turning’ it back to Darwen.

The booze definitely wasn’t 6p a pint on that day but the place was packed to the rafters.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Copied from a Facebook post. But so accurate 👌😄😄..... 

Blackburn Slang….for those who need to understand Blackburners…🤣🤣

Cunta = Couldn’t have ( Example: ‘You cunta done it )

Isagate = He said

Shizagate = She said

Yurragate = You said

I wurragate = I said

Ginnel = alleyway

Pez = poor person

Oreight = Hello

Y’ one-owt? = Do you want anything?

S’reight = it’ll be fine

Benny ‘n’ Hot = Benedictine and hot water

Cog it / yog it = throw it

Oinin = Annoying (example: He was oinin me)

Skriking = crying

Goint (pronounced ‘Go- int’) = I’m going to

Plazzy = plastic

Plezzy - Local Cemetry

Choddy = Chewing Gum

Teacake = Barm, bap, cob

Skennin = looking at

Feightin = fighting

Kinnonabout = what the f#*k are you talking about?

Flobbin = spitting

Peg it = Run

Dunnit = doesn’t it

Tint owt = it isn’t anything

Whose is thisus = who does this belong to

Gerriit Reight = Get it right

Havin an Eppy = really angry (related to when someone is shaking that much with anger it might look like they are having an epileptic fit)

Belming - not telling the truth

‘Appen - perhaps

Campin - chatting in someone’s house

He’s goddacobon - he’s annoyed/sulking

Put woodinth’ole - shut the door

Speg - chewing gum

👍🤣

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Hake Boat, Wimpey, and the cafe in Littlewoods were all regular places to get my tea before night school in the 60’s. The storey with the salt/sugar brought back a memory where I did exactly the same. Littlewoods had those big glass shakers on each table that looked like the ones on chippy counters, so of course I shook a load of sugar on my chips. 
Another chippy I liked was Larkhill. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had a wander round Blackburn town centre for the first time in decades just before Christmas. I must say that despite feeling rather disoriented by all the changes I do like what they have done with the shopping centre and markets. The Cathedral quarter also looks good. I know us oldies often crave for the old days, and I’m no different, but credit where it is due. 

• Like 2

My primary problem with the redevelopment of Blackburn, and this was exacerbated by the 2000s modifications that got rid of the old market and Lord Square, is that stuffing literally 90% of your town centre in a massive box that closes every night at 6pm leaves the rest of it on its arse a bit afterwards. Unless there's something on at KGH, the only place ls with an ounce of life in it after the working day is Maccies and the Postal Order Spoons. It just makes the whole place feel 'shut'.

Thank God for the Rock Box and Drummers Arms I suppose!

• Like 2