BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] ROVERS v MK Dons

18 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Williams at centre half with Doyle left back. Nyambe at centre half with Caddis on the right.

Either of them two have to do a better job than Ward. It is at least worth a go.

Think I would agree with Williams, the guy cannot play at full back. Both full backs are very poor, therefore I would go with

Raya

Bennett      Williams     Mulgrew   Doyle

Conway        Evans    Smallwood  Chapman

Samuel   Graham

If Mowbray is persistent on staying with one up front then I would put Whittingham in, just in front of Smallwood and Evans and just give him a free role, so he doesn't have to chase back and can be left to use his very good passing accuracy and thread through balls to Samuel, think that is going to be the way we get the best out of him.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Ward, for me he's far more suited if we're playing a side with a big but not necessarily mobile lad up front.  MK Dons have that and as such would be too much of a risk playing Williams and/or anyone else in the middle, especially when he played fine there against Bradford.  I don't disagree I'd have others ahead of him if fit but the reality is he's the best/least worse option we've got to play alongside Mulgrew.

After the shambles of Wednesday night only 3 points will do. 

Team wise? There's a lot of players who really shouldn't be anywhere near the side - Ward, Williams, Caddis, Whittingham, Feeney, the bloke from Leeds, immediately spring to mind. Unfortunately in defense we've very few other options. 

I know little about MK Dons team. If there is a modicum of pace in the front line Caddis definitely needs to be dropped, and would be tempted to move Williams to cb instead of Ward. If they're more of a rough and ready team Caddis probably gets the nod at rb, and Ward at cb. 

Midfield - has to have Evans and Smallwood in the centre. Not a fan of Evans but looks ok at this level, and whether it's Burnley or the fake club, only having one cm who can tackle is a little dicey, especially with our very weak defense. Bennett, Conway and Chapman would be my other 3 midfielders, with Samuels up front on his own.

In fact if we ignore the defense that's a pretty strong line up for league 1. The front 4 will all cause a lot of problems for any opposition at this level and are more than capable of getting a result. 

We'll win because we've some decent players, and because TM cannot afford not to after resting players midweek. I imagine 2-1 as I cannot see our defense keeping a clean sheet, and we'll hear in the LT how we've turned a corner and are looking good for promotion. Anything less then a win and TM should imo be looking at the next couple of games to save his job. 

Excellent preview.

Over to Mowbray to decide the fate of this one.

Stick with the Bradford formula we have an excellent chance of winning it. Stick with the Doncaster formula and we have an excellent chance of losing it.

Anyone any good at mind reading?

When I looked at those potential line ups I've moved from being just depressed to really depressed ! The team that lost 7-2 at Shrewsbury in our previous all time low point in the history of the club had better players in it. Without a doubt Caddis and Williams must be the worst pairing of full backs ever to pull on the blue and white halves. Mick Heaton and Andy Burgin were light years better as a pair of full backs. 

I'm expecting another confused, half hearted, disinterested " pre season friendly " style performance. We'll be shown up by a team of triers who'll soon realise that we're just a team of " paper tigers " who lack what it takes to compete against grafters.

One up front against MK Dons at home ? You're having a laugh.

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Stop fecking about with formations Mowbray and keep it simple.

Given our injury list, I would go 442 with:

Raya / Nyambe, Mulgrew, Ward, Doyle / Conway, Smallwood, Bennett, Chapman / Graham, Samuel

With that formation and those players, there should be more than enough to see off MKD.  3-1 to Rovers.

couldn't disagree with that team but I prefer Evans in the centre midfield and Graham has done nothing so far this season

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I can't believe people are still willing to give Ward a go at centre back. It's like everyone is blind to how detrimental he is to our team.

nobody else at the minute. ma

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Unfortunately no alternative. Lenihan still 'injured' along with Wharton. Despite the manager saying he wanted more bodies things have gone very quiet indeed on the transfer front given it is only a week until the window shuts.

A cynic would suggest nothing can/will happen with incomings until there's an outgoing or two...

Sorry but you are wrong, bids for players are in but been rejected. Look like we are going onto target B.

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Williams at centre half with Doyle left back. Nyambe at centre half with Caddis on the right.

Either of them two have to do a better job than Ward. It is at least worth a go.

2 left footed centre backs would be mistake.

Nyambe and Mulgrew not convince it would work. Ward might be the best option sadly.

My team would be

Raya

Nyambe Ward Mulgrew Doyle

Smallwood Evans

Bennett      Chapman    Conway

Samuel

subs:- Luetwiler, Williams, Whittingham, Graham, Gladwin, Antonsson, Caddis

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry but you are wrong, bids for players are in but been rejected. Look like we are going onto target B.

Forgive me, but its a bit early to be saying I'm wrong. I suggested that incomings will only happen if outgoing(s) also occur. Just because Mowbray has said he wants to add some and has made a bid for a player doesn't automatically make me wrong.

I still expect Lenihan to depart and it would be lunacy if the manager wasn't lining people up to come in on that basis.

Maybe I will be wrong, lets see before getting carried away because the manager has said something to the Telegraph. Lets wait until bodies are in the building.

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Forgive me, but its a bit early to be saying I'm wrong. I suggested that incomings will only happen if outgoing(s) also occur. Just because Mowbray has said he wants to add some and has made a bid for a player doesn't automatically make me wrong.

I still expect Lenihan to depart and it would be lunacy if the manager wasn't lining people up to come in on that basis.

Maybe I will be wrong, lets see before getting carried away because the manager has said something to the Telegraph. Lets wait until bodies are in the building.

Comments in LT and Radio Lancs.

Is someone going to bid over 5 mil for Lenihan then? Sheff Utd havent even reach half way. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Comments in LT and Radio Lancs.

Is someone going to bid over 5 mil for Lenihan then? Sheff Utd havent even reach half way. 

Sheffield United won't need to get anywhere near £5 million. I'd be amazed if they'd reached £2.5 million and would suggest if they have that Lenihan wouldn't be here.

Reports were of bids below £1 million to begin with. Get up towards £2 million and Mike Cheston will drive him over Snake Pass.

Just now, JHRover said:

Sheffield United won't need to get anywhere near £5 million. I'd be amazed if they'd reached £2.5 million and would suggest if they have that Lenihan wouldn't be here.

Reports were of bids below £1 million to begin with. Get up towards £2 million and Mike Cheston will drive him over Snake Pass.

Is Cheston in charge cos it appears that Mowbray runs the football side and Cheston has no involvement to me.

Lenihan is worth alot more than 2 million pounds and Mowbray knows this. 

Nothing suggest that Lenihan wont be here in September

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No, apart from the 2 bids from SU, Lenihan hinting that he would leave and the normal transfer window injury jinx......as usual with you....Nothing happening here, move on while the club sinks

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Is Cheston in charge cos it appears that Mowbray runs the football side and Cheston has no involvement to me.

There's something very wrong indeed if Mowbray is running the whole club and the only active director is below Mowbray in the decision making chain. As clueless as Cheston is the whole point in a 'director' is that he makes decisions. What on earth happens if results continue to be poor? Who makes a decision around here?

I'd suggest the activity around Lenihan is quite similar to years gone by with previous players. Suspicious injury conveniently keeping him clear of action throughout August.

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I'm suggesting he won't and also the fee will be undisclosed.

A tidy sum for him and add that to the Mahoney money and bingo. The owners spend zilch, we downgrade to level three and have a season as frustrating as ever. But don't worry the kind family in India, will issue their annual statement to say how committed they still are. Those who believe them and purchase their annual season ticket reduce a bit further and away we go again.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

When did he hint he would leave? 

He told Mowbray months ago he wanted to stay in the Championship. To my knowledge he has said nothing since to suggest he wants to stay here. Part of me completely understands his stance as I can't really blame anyone for wanting to leave this sinking ship, but my other view is that we are the club that picked him up as a kid, stuck with him through numerous injury problems when he was a nobody and gave him his chance in the Championship and because of that he owes us this season to try and get us back up.

Just now, JHRover said:

He told Mowbray months ago he wanted to stay in the Championship. To my knowledge he has said nothing since to suggest he wants to stay here. Part of me completely understands his stance as I can't really blame anyone for wanting to leave this sinking ship, but my other view is that we are the club that picked him up as a kid, stuck with him through numerous injury problems when he was a nobody and gave him his chance in the Championship and because of that he owes us this season to try and get us back up.

Players don't have integrity anymore. I remember LeSaux getting that career threatening injury. We stood by him, paid for the best medical treatment going, nursed him back to form and the minute he was fully fit - he wanted to bugger off back to Chelsea. Good player but completely lacking in integrity and I'll tell him that to his face if I ever come across the creep.

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I dont think it was confirmed as Lenihan who said that. 

On your other point, completely agree. I think he owes the club a lot. 

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And everybody else in football knows we're desperate for money and we'll sell him for whatever semi serious offer we get when the chips are down next week.

Archived