BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oldham away

JBiz

Well what can I say that hasn't already been said ? I was in the main stand with my son and grandson courtesy of an Oldham supporting friend of my son's giving us complimentary tickets. I was a bit concerned that my son may have been jumping about if we scored, but obviously no worries on that score.  Am I glad I didn't have to pay good money to watch that ! 

We were just dreadful in the face of a busy, energetic, hardworking and industrious Oldham team. The first half was bad but the second half was simply terrible. I must have seen us play worse than this in the old days but I honestly can't remember when.

I was pretty concerned when I saw the line up - Samuel and Antonnson up front with Smallwood and Whittingham in central midfield. That leaves a massive gap in advanced midfield. Neither of the midfielders are noted for their attacking play, Samuel can hold the ball up but Antonnson can't.

We started off ok but it was noticeable that Jack Byrne had had an attitude/body transplant and was causing us all sorts of problems playing in between the lines. Oldham were attacking down our right flank regularly and only a lack of finishing ability kept them at bay. All of a sudden we put in a great move in down the left hand side and Bennett found himself in acres of space inside the box, he  went around the keeper and came in towards an empty goal. There was support in the middle  but he elected to have a close range blast - straight into the side netting ! 

The sort of howler that always comes back to bite you.

When we came out at half time I consoled myself that we can't play that poorly again. Well I was right - we were worse !

We just never got going and Oldham just kept coming at us in waves.  Antonnson got the most predictable subbing this season. Smallwood was subbed to prevent a red card . Conway also got the shepards crook treatment., being replaced by Chapman. It was noticeable after this that Byrne began to dominate the game. Dack eventually came on  but by then we'd lost the plot completely and we subsided in a rash of stupid challenges and yellow cards.

Just when it looked like we might steal a point a decisive Oldham move ended with the one piece of quality finishing in the whole match.

We were second best to nearly every headed challenge, every fifty-fifty ball, our passing was laboured, our running off the ball and showing for a pass was equally bad. In spite of having some big guys in the team we were dominated physically throughout the game. The whole team looked off the pace and totally demotivated. The players and coaching staff should hang their heads in shame.

That was the sort of performance that gets managers sacked. In Jack's day our guy may well have been gone tonight. The comparison between Wellens barking instructions on the touch line and Mowbray with his head down and hands in pockets was very telling.

Raya- 6 did ok but his kicking is very poor.

Caddis -5 run ragged most of the game, did nothing going forward.

Ward -5 the game went on around him.

Mulgrew -6 cultured at the back, set pieces were awful.

Williams-5 same as Caddis, did nothing going forward

Bennett -5 tried more than most but that miss was terrible, a match loser.

Smallwood -6 tried hard but had his hands full with Byrne and got frustrated before being subbed.

Whittingham -6 passed it around nicely but never really ventured forward.

Conway -4 his legs have gone.

Samuel-5 started brightly but lost interest as the game went.

Antonnson -4 did nothing of note.

Subs 

Chapman -5 tried to do something but the lad has got an attitude problem.

Dack -4 did nothing.

Graham  4 did nothing.

MOM Jack Byrne, head and shoulders above the rest. Exactly the style of busy playmaker we are lacking.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Oh dear.  That was simply abysmal.

Serious, serious questions need asking of Mowbray before this becomes yet another wasted season.

Not sure when I'll go and watch Rovers again.

Think I'll go back on holiday and enjoy some more sun.

Are you familiar with a certain Harry Enfield character that has a catch phrase loads a money. Everytime I see your name I imagine him posting

1 hour ago, West Yorks Rover said:

Plymouth on Tuesday is it ?

We'll be lucky if 7,000 turn up.

Message for TM and the rest who were on the Oldham pitch today: I'm putting in the effort along with another 7,000 loyal fans who will be at Ewood on Tuesday.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well what can I say that hasn't already been said ? I was in the main stand with my son and grandson courtesy of an Oldham supporting friend of my son's giving us complimentary tickets. I was a bit concerned that my son may have been jumping about if we scored, but obviously no worries on that score.  Am I glad I didn't have to pay good money to watch that ! 

We were just dreadful in the face of a busy, hardworking and industrious Oldham team. The first half was bad but the second half was simply terrible. I must have seen us play worse than this in the old days but I can't remember when.

I was pretty concerned when I saw the line up - Samuel and Antonnson up front with Smallwood and Whittingham in central midfield. That leaves a massive gap in advanced midfield. Neither of the midfielders are noted for their attacking play, Samuel can hold the ball up but Antonnson can't.

We started off ok but it was noticeable that Jack Byrne had had an attitude/body transplant and was causing us all sorts of problems playing in between the lines. Oldham were attacking down our right flank regularly and only a lack of finishing ability kept them at bay. All of a sudden we put in a great move in down the left hand side and Bennett found himself in acres of space inside the box, he  went around the keeper and came in towards an empty goal. There was support in the middle  but he elected to have a close range blast - straight into the side netting ! 

when we came out at half time I consoled myself that we can't play that poorly again. Well I was right - we were worse !

We just never got going and Oldham just kept coming at us in waves.  Antonnson got the most predictable subbing this season. Smallwood was subbed to prevent a red card . Conway also got the shepards crook treatment., being replaced by Chapman. It was noticeable after this that Byrne began to dominate the game. Dack eventually came on  but by then we'd lost the plot completely and we subsided in a rash of stupid challenges and yellow cards.

Just when it looked like we might steal a point a decisive Oldham move ended with the one piece of quality finishing in the whole match.

We were second best to nearly every headed challenge, every fifty-fifty ball, our passing was laboured, our running off the ball and showing for a pass was equally bad. In spite of having some big guys in the team we were dominated physically throughout the game. The whole team looked off the pace and totally demotivated. The players and coaching staff should hang their heads in shame.

That was the sort of performance that gets managers sacked. In Jack's day our guy may well have been gone tonight. The comparison between Wellens barking instructions on the touch line and Mowbray with his head down and hands in pockets was very telling.

Caddis -5 run ragged must of the game, did nothing going forward.

Smallwood -6 tried hard but had his hands full with Byrne and got frustrated before being subbed.

Subs 

Chapman -5 tried to do something but the lad as got an attitude problem

Dack -4 did nothing.

Graham  4 did nothing.

I've just got home gutted tbh as I know under Mowbray promotion isn't going to happen..  we got what we deserved nothing zilch

Can't argue with that a very good assessment from Tyrone the only thing I'll had is Chapman isn't as fast or has good as some people think and the lad has a attitude.. Highly likely why he never starts 

Well where do you start with that. We could analyse and break things down until the cows come home but the bottom line is that Oldham simply wanted it more. All over the pitch they were quicker, more aggressive and prepared to go the extra yard. Smallwood aside we have a team full of jellyfish who have rolled over and capitulated far too many times already this season. Clarke and Byrne were excellent for Oldham but it was Davies (a journeyman at best) who absolutely bullied our centre halves and made them look like schoolboy players. I know Mowbray said he won't put the kidsds in but this shower of lily livered cowards are going to get him the sack unless he drops a few of them. It is unfair to single out anybody for criticism as they were all poor but special mention must go to Ward. He is as weak a defender as I have seen for some time. How he allowed himself to be 'rolled' by Davies for the goal was spectacularly inept but the lunacy of it was that he had tried it a few times earlier with the same result (apart from the goal).

Pitiful, just pitiful.

There's more than enough ability in this squad to get us up. But, it seems they can't be arsed and someone is letting them get away with it, it happens so often. Someone needs to get in the dressing room, kick their arses, get them fit and motivated and we'll do well in this league. Otherwise we're sleep walking to mid table mediocrity. In Leage @#/? one...

Just now, arbitro said:

Well where do you start with that. We could analyse and break things down until the cows come home but the bottom line is that Oldham simply wanted it more. All over the pitch they were quicker, more aggressive and prepared to go the extra yard. Smallwood aside we have a team full of jellyfish who have rolled over and capitulated far too many times already this season. Clarke and Byrne were excellent for Oldham but it was Davies (a journeyman at best) who absolutely bullied our centre halves and made them look like schoolboy players. I know Mowbray said he won't put the kidsds in but this shower of lily livered cowards are going to get him the sack unless he drops a few of them. It is unfair to single out anybody for criticism as they were all poor but special mention must go to Ward. He is as weak a defender as I have seen for some time. How he allowed himself to be 'rolled' by Davies for the goal was spectacularly inept but the lunacy of it was that he had tried it a few times earlier with the same result (apart from the goal).

Pitiful, just pitiful.

great comment arbitro.

Well we can kiss promotion goodbye for this season. Not just on todays game but its now the middle of October and Rovers haven't made the progress I expected in the playing-as-a-team department.

We have too many poor players, slow players, and they don't seem to know what to do. 

Oldham fully deserved their victory today. Ward should be replaced by an under 23 player whilst Downing is injured. He is a complete liability. I'm very, very disappointed.:(

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Couldn't make it today , why is everyone saying Chapman displayed a bad attitude ?

He was taking the full back on by giving him a five yard start and expecting to run him. He's not Gareth Bale, he's quick but he's not a flier. He won't beat full backs in this league giving them a 5 yard start. He went on a run were he got a bit of a buffeting by their defenders, when he lost control of the ball he dived in and ended up getting booked. Stupid.

He also received the ball in a dangerous position in the last third bringing the ball away and he tried to bamboozle the Oldham player and lost possession. The lad can play but his head isn't doing him any favours.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Couldn't make it today , why is everyone saying Chapman displayed a bad attitude ?

He was beaten by a Oldham defender for pace then when he was beaten tried to con the ref diving backwards the ref had nothing of it.. He then chased like a headless chicken fouling the Oldham man.. He also kicked out at Oldham player five minutes later when again he did not get his own way 

We'll win on Tuesday night, get a small run of games together, be looking up and pass this off as a blip.

Problem is we have too many blips to get anywhere near automatic places and these blips could well cost us in the playoffs.

I'm not at all convinced by TM but I worry we'd be landed with an even bigger dolloper. Let's face it if TM isbthe calibre we attract in the championship who will we get now.

I always think games like this with teams low in the table having a revival, grab an early goal and all their insecurities and edginess comes flooding back. Sounds like we didn't impose ourselves and allowed them to continue their upsurge in form.

Just now, Blue blood said:

I'm not at all convinced by TM but I worry we'd be landed with an even bigger dolloper. Let's face it if TM isbthe calibre we attract in the championship who will we get now.

Agreed. Like Cheston said when they went for Mowbray the new manager had to tick the right boxes -  one being they have to be out of work. It really doesn't inspire much confidence. Coyle, Mowbray and Lambert - out of work for a reason. Maybe they'll give Kenny a call;)

There will be good managers out there but our idiot owners will never pick them because they think they can do it on the cheap.

5 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We'll win on Tuesday night, get a small run of games together, be looking up and pass this off as a blip.

Problem is we have too many blips to get anywhere near automatic places and these blips could well cost us in the playoffs.

We wouldn't get a bigger dolloper we'd get whoever next is on the agency books courtesy of Pasha and his cohorts 

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were just dreadful in the face of a busy, energetic, hardworking and industrious Oldham team. The first half was bad but the second half was simply terrible. I must have seen us play worse than this in the old days but I honestly can't remember when.

When we came out at half time I consoled myself that we can't play that poorly again. Well I was right - we were worse !

Caddis -5 run ragged most of the game, did nothing going forward.

Subs 

Chapman -5 tried to do something but the lad has got an attitude problem.

Dack -4 did nothing.

Graham  4 did nothing.

MOM Jack Byrne, head and shoulders above the rest. Exactly the style of busy playmaker we are lacking.

FWIW I thought Dack was the only player who looked likely to make a difference. Could see and play a forward pass. Great feet. Accurate, well paced crosses on the floor. Got behind the defence.

Not without his faults. Tripping one of their players because. - it looked like - he couldn't be bothered catching him. But it's that chutzpah we're missing. 

I've said it before: the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I don't just mean the individuals being discussed. Groundhog Day for the club and fans. 

I don't think it matters if we have Mowbray or Mourinho the problems are far deeper than that.

There is no structure to the club. We have a squad of players and a manager -  that's it. The manager is expected to run all aspects of the club not just the team on the pitch.

He needs a support infra-structure behind him. Rovers are being run like a Sunday morning team. The players probably turn up, play and go home again without any thought for the fact that they are representing a famous footballing institution.  Repercussions for a bad defeat ? None.

In terms of structure, organisation and ambition we are behind the likes of Fleetwood and AFC Fylde these days.  

Until the Club is sorted out with a board and people with Rovers interest at heart I don't think it matters who the manager is. You can't run a professional football club in this way and expect to succeed. 

Just now, markread said:

FWIW I thought Dack was the only player who looked likely to make a difference. Could see and play a forward pass. Great feet. Accurate, well paced crosses on the floor. Got behind the defence.

Not without his faults. Tripping one of their players because. - it looked like - he couldn't be bothered catching him. But it's that chutzpah we're missing. 

I've said it before: the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I don't just mean the individuals being discussed. Groundhog Day for the club and fans. 

Yeah I agree. I would have started with Dack instead of Antonnson.

Sounds a bit Barry White today and the most worrying aspect would appear to be a lack of heart and will to win. You'd have to think that a failure to beat rock bottom Plymouth on Tuesday would mean Mowbray will pay with his job but that's hardly a cause for celebration as we'd undoubtedly appoint worse.

To call for the managers head when we're 3 points off the play offs is nothing short of embarrassing, of illusions of grandeur.

Its disappointing to lose and I didn't go so can't really comment on the performance, sounded cr@p, but nothing more than a bad day at the office from a bunch of 3rd division players who play in this league because they struggle for consistency, and a manager who works for a club with no structure thats rotten to its core.

Regroup and go again against Plymouth.

Want Mowbray out but we are doomed regardless. No hope and no joy to be had supporting Rovers. Players got some stick but not enough. 

Mowbray is a bloody chancer. Talks absolute drivel but backs it up with nothing.

14 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I don't think it matters if we have Mowbray or Mourinho the problems are far deeper than that.

There is no structure to the club. We have a squad of players and a manager -  that's it. The manager is expected to run all aspects of the club not just the team on the pitch.

He needs a support infra-structure behind him. Rovers are being run like a Sunday morning team. The players probably turn up, play and go home again without any thought for the fact that they are representing a famous footballing institution.  Repercussions for a bad defeat ? None.

In terms of structure, organisation and ambition we are behind the likes of Fleetwood and AFC Fylde these days.  

Until the Club is sorted out with a board and people with Rovers interest at heart I don't think it matters who the manager is. You can't run a professional football club in this way and expect to succeed. 

Companies run on this basis tend to go out of business. 

Archived