BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stick with Mogga

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Hardly, that is how I would expect us to line up at home against anyone in this division.

I think it's a bit assumptious and it disregards the quality that some other teams in the division do possess. 

Id be more frustrated at "mogga" if he went to the more difficult places in this league, like Wigan, Shrewsbury, Bradford, Rotherham et al, and a 442/4411 cost us points because of mistakes, lack of bite or organisation at set pieces. 

23 minutes ago, Biz said:

I think it's a bit assumptious and it disregards the quality that some other teams in the division do possess. 

Id be more frustrated at "mogga" if he went to the more difficult places in this league, like Wigan, Shrewsbury, Bradford, Rotherham et al, and a 442/4411 cost us points because of mistakes, lack of bite or organisation at set pieces. 

You can play attacking football and still organise yourselves well in defence. Certainly should be no argument for a lack of bite from our players because he lines up to attack.

I think if you look at our performance vs Rotherham it is a perfect example of this. I keep going back to this but it was as good an example as we have of 'defending from the front' in years. Our front 4 pressed their defenders and didn't let them gain any territory in the game. Then, when we had the ball, our full backs came up and our wingers made them menacing runs behind the full back. It's the basics of attacking football and we got it exactly right that night.

For some reason this level of tenacity isn't shown week in week out. That's either coming from Tony Mowbray or coming from our players. Either way it's not acceptable. Why we are choosing to be so stand off some games is bizarre. You could make a case and point for this against the top teams because they will have 11 players all with the ability to ward off the high press, find the gaps and pick the killer passes. At this level players make errors, the more errors you try and force the quicker you are going to regain possession.

Trying to "maintain our shape" is coming at the huge detriment to our attacking flair. I can't for the life of me understand why Mogga can't find the balance between the two with this squad.

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You can play attacking football and still organise yourselves well in defence. Certainly should be no argument for a lack of bite from our players because he lines up to attack.

I think if you look at our performance vs Rotherham it is a perfect example of this. I keep going back to this but it was as good an example as we have of 'defending from the front' in years. Our front 4 pressed their defenders and didn't let them gain any territory in the game. Then, when we had the ball, our full backs came up and our wingers made them menacing runs behind the full back. It's the basics of attacking football and we got it exactly right that night.

For some reason this level of tenacity isn't shown week in week out. That's either coming from Tony Mowbray or coming from our players. Either way it's not acceptable. Why we are choosing to be so stand off some games is bizarre. You could make a case and point for this against the top teams because they will have 11 players all with the ability to ward off the high press, find the gaps and pick the killer passes. At this level players make errors, the more errors you try and force the quicker you are going to regain possession.

Trying to "maintain our shape" is coming at the huge detriment to our attacking flair. I can't for the life of me understand why Mogga can't find the balance between the two with this squad.

I'm not disputing much of this, what I initially thought from the discussion; I'd be more frustrated if we lost because of TM throwing caution to the wind when an organised approach is necessary. 

I would suggest that the Oldham performance is good example; many here would suggest we lost that game because we didn't go "gung ho", but for me the reality is very different; we should've packed the midfield with more bite, not a simple 442 of Smallwood and Whittingham. The slow moving Ward forced us deeper, and the lack of bite between the midfield and defence cost us possession on countless occasions.

The substitutions (and Richie's yellow) cost us further, opening the game up from an attacking point of view, but also opening us up to counter attacks, one eventually cost us.

19 hours ago, AggyBlue said:

I think we all know that it's not in ToMo's psyche to go 'all gungho' 

well, probably Mowbray's brand of gungho, i.e. smallwood protecting the defence with four asking questions of the oppo, and the left and right backs joining in where appropriate? 

sorry, my question was, what if we line up similarly like and get beat 3-0

Amazed that you guys want shot despite being in the top 6. Being a big club means NOTHING. It took Sheffield United 6 YEARS to get out of that division. You've been ran appallingly for the best part of a decade and you have a stable manager who appears to be steadying what appears to be a sinking ship. The top two granted are miles ahead at the moment due to their blistering start, but Blackburn aren't far off 2pts average per game which is whats usually required for promotion. Im seeing calls for Grayson etc. I'd be very careful what you wish for. Changing your manager every 6 months does not work.

Just now, Teesside Steel said:

Amazed that you guys want shot despite being in the top 6. Being a big club means NOTHING. It took Sheffield United 6 YEARS to get out of that division. You've been ran appallingly for the best part of a decade and you have a stable manager who appears to be steadying what appears to be a sinking ship. The top two granted are miles ahead at the moment due to their blistering start, but Blackburn aren't far off 2pts average per game which is whats usually required for promotion. Im seeing calls for Grayson etc. I'd be very careful what you wish for. Changing your manager every 6 months does not work.

Mowbray himself said he expects to be sacked if we don't go up. As you say the points deficit between us and the top two is getting close to insurmountable and I haven't seen enough to give me confidence that he can get enough points to get into the playoffs. The football is slow and boring.

As a man I like him. His integrity and honesty have been a breath of fresh air but invariably nice guys don't succeed in this game.

I accept what you're saying but things have hardly been stable on the managerial front at 'Boro in recent years have they and you've got Steve Gibson at the helm!

Mowbray's tenure here has been drab and dire in every respect and the appointments of Venus and Lowe as his cohorts says it all for me. Other than he talks well about football in general and appears a genuinely nice chap, I can't think of any other positive about his tenure whatsoever. 

13 minutes ago, Teesside Steel said:

Bit ridiculous though that you come on here saying your club was right to sack Magoo for not getting promotion yet Rovers should stick with him. People on here see the bigger picture because we read stuff he says and some attend games. Right now promotion is looking far from certain and since we were told by the idiots that relegation was a "temporary setback" they can't blame us for complaining. 

I don't really care about his playing career at Middlesbrough either. Its irrelevant. Berg played here but it didn't stop his managerial stint being a failure.  

Just now, darrenrover said:

I accept what you're saying but things have hardly been stable on the managerial front at 'Boro in recent years have they and you've got Steve Gibson at the helm!

Mowbray's tenure here has been drab and dire in every respect and the appointments of Venus and Lowe as his cohorts says it all for me. Other than he talks well about football in general and appears a genuinely nice chap, I can't think of any other positive about his tenure whatsoever. 

Not sure there is a more stable club than Boro in terms of managers getting time to turn things round from arguably the best Chairman in England... 7 Managers in 23 years.

You've gone through 7 since Allardyce was in charge. I know you want instant success. Who out there would even come to Blackburn to work for the Venkys that could do a better job than Mowbray?

29 minutes ago, Teesside Steel said:

You don't know anything about us, I wouldn't even think about going on a Middlesbrough messageboard to tell them how to think. My advice to you would be to F off.

9 minutes ago, Teesside Steel said:

Not sure there is a more stable club than Boro in terms of managers getting time to turn things round from arguably the best Chairman in England... 7 Managers in 23 years.

You've gone through 7 since Allardyce was in charge. I know you want instant success. Who out there would even come to Blackburn to work for the Venkys that could do a better job than Mowbray?

I'd take that young lad from Lincoln. The Cowley brothers.

They are ambitious, they are young and they will no doubt see us as a way to prove themselves to other clubs. It would be a perfect project for them.

I also think they would be infinitely better than Mowbray.

27 minutes ago, Teesside Steel said:

I live in the area. Attend probably more Rovers games than you do. You immature little child.

Pardon me for asking but what makes you stump up £20/27 a time to watch league 1 Blackburn Rovers ?

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Pardon me for asking but what makes you stump up £20/27 a time to watch league 1 Blackburn Rovers ?

First game I ever saw live, Ayresome Park December 1992, Boro beat Blackburn 3-2 John Hendrie Hat Trick. Fate would have it that I moved to Lancashire last year and when im not watching Boro I try watch Rovers.

OK if someone from Equatorial Guinea joins up we won't assume they haven't been watching Rovers regularly. We will make sure to ask if they returned after being in the UK for the past several months.

Sarcasm aside saying F off was uncalled for but how were we supposed to know?

37 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

OK if someone from Equatorial Guinea joins up we won't assume they haven't been watching Rovers regularly. We will make sure to ask if they returned after being in the UK for the past several months.

Sarcasm aside saying F off was uncalled for but how were we supposed to know?

Opening post. I've been to Bradford, Southend and Rochdale this season.

Opening post. I've been to Bradford, Southend and Rochdale this season.

Worked in the north east in the early 1980s and saw John Neill's Boro side regularly - Craig Johnston, David Hodgson etc. Ayresome was like the old Ewood then, a very traditional ground. Have always looked for Boro's results since.

What do you think of this present Rovers side ? 

Archived