BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

Local lad ( Leigh :blink:), covers the grass, nice guy yada yada yada seems to hit a note with a lot of people so each to their own although I think if they are realistic anmd weighed up wages to contribution ratio over the years they'd likely conclude it's one best left alone now, we had the effort but he's certainly had his corn and then some.

Not the lads fault at all a lot of things went against him and the club in terms of managers, tactics and turnover of players but also I think he was rather fortunate to be emerging at that time as well as he didn't exactly need to shine to be a regular so poor has been the standard of overall team play mostly until this season.

Big Sam or Hughes would've got hold of him and either made him into a player or moved him on pretty sharpish I reckon.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wish folk would stop going on about needing wingers, has it ever occurred that maybe we aren’t going to be playing wingers, as mentioned earlier I can see us going similar to

Raya

nyambe.    Mulgrew.   Downing.    Bell

Lenihan 

Smallwood.   Bennet 

payne.             Dack

Graham 

With bell and nyambe very similar pushing forward to give width and dack and Payne drifting in and out of wings as needed. All this talk of needing wingers is guff, when was the last time we had exciting dribbling wingers?! Chapman for about 1 start and some cameo sub appearances. Out and out wingers are not the modern way, football has moved on from the 60s

Looks a

bit 

lobsided 

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I'm not keen on the idea at all and I believe it would be a backward step in many respects if he returned, but if he did I would accept the decision and treat him the same as any other player we have.

He is not Leon Best, Danny Murphy or Bradley Orr. He does not deserve abuse or to be heckled.

He is a product of our academy who was with the club for many years and I don't doubt always worked his socks off for the club.

Ultimately he and Adam Henley were damaged by the 'regime' at the club by being thrown in too often when they would have benefited from time out on loan elsewhere.

My biggest concern is that if Mowbray brings him back the reaction both in the stands and on social media will be so extreme that he is on a losing run before he even starts. The second he makes a mistake, or gets substituted, there will be hundreds if not thousands heckling him and jeering, which will not only destroy him but also probably damage the good atmosphere around the team as his colleagues will watch on with horror.

For that reason I think Mowbray needs to steer clear and look elsewhere. Too much water under the bridge there and it would open a can of worms. Just leave it. Its done, time to move on.

Yep 

Just now, pick32 said:

I’d take Bradley Orr and J Lowe back before playing Caddis, Be tempted to give Bruno (Denis Irwin) a shout before playing him.

You need your bumps feeling surely Todd Kane would be the man !

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Where do you get he cares about thè club from? 

Serious?

Played here since being a child. Academy graduate. Wants to come back. When nobody could be arsed putting in a shift around him, he admittedly ran around like a headless chicken - but in fairness, if those around you aren't putting anywhere near a shift in, it affects your own game.  He might not have proven to be a great player for Rovers but he certainly gave a shit.

If he re-signs, he'll be a squad player who can cover a couple of positions whenever needed and will be better cover than Caddis.

22 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Out and out wingers are not the modern way, football has moved on from the 60s

Alf Ramsey's 'Wingless Wonders' had moved on in the 60's. Trends change. Someone will come along and produce a team with two wingers again (Is Sane not a winger? Zaha?), beat all before them and then everyone will be doing it. Anyway, Samuel hugs the touchline when he plays out there, as does Conway. They might not be referred to as wingers anymore but they play in the same position on the field.

No way should players who have left make a return, I cant think of many players who have left and rejoined and been a  success, Henry, Drogba, Rush , Hughes, Rooney didnt really pick up where they left off. The difference is you'd have any of those players at 50% ability and still walk into almost any team. Players like Lowe are lucky to get in any team full stop and when they have been found out, the only place left for them is to return to the club they started if that club is gullible enough to take them back.

Sorry I dont care who it is once you leave there is no going back, unless your of the 50% ability of your former elite self.

id not even have Tugay back at this level ...it never works out.

2 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Not a fan of the lad myself but i really think how bad he is has been blown up in the minds of some. It would not ruin a transfer window if he signed as if hes as bad as some "remember" he just would not get a game. 

P.S. given the option I'd still rather not sign him

Sorry but that’s not any kind of argument.

There seems to be almost a resignation amongst some that he will come back and “there’s not a lot we can do about it” and “he probably won’t be that bad”. But in reality he will simply take up a position on the bench that belongs to someone else!

If we are supposed to accept this move back (a ridiculous notion for a football fan) then there needs to be a case FOR him returning. What positive does he bring to the team, the squad, the club?

NOBODY else in football wants him. What are we, a charity? And at what cost? Loss of feel-good factor? Fans arguing over his limitations? Lack of pace, movement, counter-attacking on the pitch? Loss of impetus and momentum as a team? The progress of a developing player blocked? Is he really a better option than Tomlinson? Even Travis? His style of play is to slow down play and to play sideways balls. Is this what a team desperate for promotion need.

NO OTHER CLUB else will take him. Let’s all take a moment to consider why that is.

Jason Lowe? Jason No.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Sorry but that’s not any kind of argument.

There seems to be almost a resignation amongst some that he will come back and “there’s not a lot we can do about it” and “he probably won’t be that bad”. But in reality he will simply take up a position on the bench that belongs to someone else!

If we are supposed to accept this move back (a ridiculous notion for a football fan) then there needs to be a case FOR him returning. What positive does he bring to the team, the squad, the club?

NOBODY else in football wants him. What are we, a charity? And at what cost? Loss of feel-good factor? Fans arguing over his limitations? Lack of pace, movement, counter-attacking on the pitch? Loss of impetus and momentum as a team? The progress of a developing player blocked? Is he really a better option than Tomlinson? Even Travis? His style of play is to slow down play and to play sideways balls. Is this what a team desperate for promotion need.

NO OTHER CLUB else will take him. Let’s all take a moment to consider why that is.

Jason Lowe? Jason No.

Yet if he was to re sign for us it would be because our manager thinks he is worth signing I'm happy for Mowbray to make the signings he sees fit or should everyone he brings in be debated through message boards before we decide yay or nay.

I reiterate i don't want him back i think we could do better but im willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt if he wants him.

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If it was your own money you wouldn’t.

exactly, the term 'risk' is taken on a player you've scouted , seen him play and think he will do a job for said team. Thats a risk. Even when your certain he will make a positive addition its still a risk. 

He might not settle, he might unbalance the team he might not get on with certain players, even a dead cert is a risk.

Signing Jason Lowe isn't a risk , its a step back and as Stuart pointed out  his place on the team sheet means someones not getting a look in.

It's probably likely that the availability of a past player, past academy (local?) lad could look very attractive to a manager with a limited budget, and yes I know we have to trust in Mowbray's ability to make the decision - but having seen him play I think the chicken that was once released onto the pitch had a better game whilst it was on.

Whilst I'm curious to see whether Lowe can hack it at this level I'm not that curious that I'd risk our season on it!

We desperately need more steel in our cm positions (only Smallwood gives that) but Lowe has as much steel about his game as a wet paper towel. Not what we need.

If getting a good cm is difficult, which the averageness/no impact of Whittingham, Evans and Harper suggests, then slot in Bennett or Lenihan and get cover in their positions instead.

After recent performances I'd slot Bennett in there and get a proper out and out wide player but whatever way we need another tough cm and Lowe isn't the answer.

15 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Yet if he was to re sign for us it would be because our manager thinks he is worth signing I'm happy for Mowbray to make the signings he sees fit or should everyone he brings in be debated through message boards before we decide yay or nay.

I reiterate i don't want him back i think we could do better but im willing to give the manager the benefit of the doubt if he wants him.

No, Not every player. Just the ones we have had to watch for years and years who have been shit and helped relegate us. Particularly when their departure has found us completely changing our style of play to a more successful one that he cannot cope with.

Maybe we should bring Orr back, or Etuhu? Or entice Murphy out of retirement? Jake Kean? Myles Anderson?

I appreciate you are trying to play devil’s advocate or take the moral high ground (or something) but in this instance you need to not.

I hope that the manager reads this because somehow it HAS to be got across to him that the fans do not want him anywhere near the club. Don't force him on us like another manager did with Andrews. It will only end in tears.

Just now, Stuart said:

No, Not every player. Just the ones we have had to watch for years and years who have been shit and helped relegate us. Particularly when their departure has found us completely changing our style of play to a more successful one that he cannot cope with.

Maybe we should bring Orr back, or Etuhu? Or entice Murphy out of retirement? Jake Kean? Myles Anderson?

I appreciate you are trying to play devil’s advocate or take the moral high ground (or something) but in this instance you need to not.

Not sure Mowbray wants any of the players mentioned. 

Not trying to take the moral high ground ( or something) I'm just stating that i trust the manager and he should be allowed to bring in who he wants.

3 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Not sure Mowbray wants any of the players mentioned. 

Not trying to take the moral high ground ( or something) I'm just stating that i trust the manager and he should be allowed to bring in who he wants.

I’m just stating - as a football fan and one that wants Rovers promotion campaign (and future) not to be derailed - that he shouldn’t bring in Jason Lowe.

So apart from “IMWT” why do you feel that he would be a good addition? Or even, why do you think Mowbray would?

Archived