SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Swanson said:

I was so glad when he left the club and now he is coming back?

Don't want him back! Terrible captain and an even worse footballer.

Can't Bowyer and Blackpool take him?

He should offer his services for free there till the end of the season as a debt of gratitude to Bowyer and to put himself in the shop window.

30 minutes ago, JayDee said:

OK so apparently we are closing in on Joe Rothwell from Oxford. Also a midfielder. Dont know a lot about him  but surely puts Lowe out of picture. 

How many central mid-fielders do we need? How about 2 wingers---the right-footed one on the right, the left-footed one on the left?

I know its a radical idea but it might just work!

• Backroom
Just now, 47er said:

How many central mid-fielders do we need? How about 2 wingers---the right-footed one on the right, the left-footed one on the left?

Looks to me like we may be playing a roaming 3 behind the frontman.

Just now, 47er said:

Or just trust Mowbray judgement. Sounds like Payne, Armstrong, Conway, Bennett and Samuel will play wide in games. 

Signing Rothwell might mean Evans leaving in the summer. 

Wouldnt be surprise if we sign Chapman. Out of contract in the summer isnt he?

I suspect Evans won't be offered a new deal, particularly given he's likely at the top end of wages at the club having penned a new deal in January 2016. If he departs in the summer then that leaves Whittingham and Smallwood as the contracted CMs, with question marks over Whittingham's fitness and ability to perform regularly at his age. If Mowbray is looking longer term then presumably he'll be wanting to strengthen in that department.

He has spoken about wanting players to be assets for the club and having people permanently. With that in mind I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a mechanism in place for Payne, Armstrong, Chapman and Antonsson to be recruited permanently in the summer if we wish to do so.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or just trust Mowbray judgement. Sounds like Payne, Armstrong, Conway, Bennett and Samuel will play wide in games. 

Signing Rothwell might mean Evans leaving in the summer. 

Wouldnt be surprise if we sign Chapman. Out of contract in the summer isnt he?

Rothwell is a winger with a yard. We bid £200k for him and then he pulled/tore his hamstring against Bradford, could be similar to the Payne deal with the guarantee of a contract if we go up.

9 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Rothwell is a winger with a yard. We bid £200k for him and then he pulled/tore his hamstring against Bradford, could be similar to the Payne deal with the guarantee of a contract if we go up.

I'm sure he's a central midfielder who can play anywhere across the midfield 4 if needed?

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I'm sure he's a central midfielder who can play anywhere across the midfield 4 if needed?

A bit of pace, good passing and good engine. Started as winger but seems to play more centrally now. Good age as well and fits the profile.

I like the transfer philosophy of Mowbray, quite similar to Bowyer. Players like Samuel, Dack, Bell and Rothwell are all young with good potential to play in the Championship. 

Archived