SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't bring my sun glasses to work. Whats the gist? 

Fairly positive comments from most posters, unfortunately none of the posts seem to pin down his preferred position.  However the post below gives some indication of the type of player he is:

"You only need to watch Rothwell for thirty minutes in any competitive game to see what a talent he is. Fast , runs with the ball under control , drifts past defenders like they are standing still , learnt his skills at Man U - young , full of running and energy. Blackburn saw what Payne did and are now on Rothwell's case."

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I hope we stop signing players from Oxford purely so I don't have to look at that rancid colour for opinions on how they play. @#/? me.

I'm one step away from signing up and offering to look at their branding.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or just trust Mowbray judgement. Sounds like Payne, Armstrong, Conway, Bennett and Samuel will play wide in games. 

Signing Rothwell might mean Evans leaving in the summer. 

Wouldnt be surprise if we sign Chapman. Out of contract in the summer isnt he?

Chaddy you cant just use the argument of trusting mowbrays judgement to justify everything. People can justifiably say that Samuel and Armstrong are strikers (not wingers), Conways legs have gone, Bennett is ineffective wide yet an asset centrally and Payne is a central player too.

Personally dont know too much about Rothwell but an attacking midfielder is not what we need, we need at least one out and out winger, not to stockpile in other areas. 

• Moderation Lead

I'll be honest, it would be a terrible mistake to bring Lowe back. I've only seen Tomlinson play once for about 25 minutes and in that time, he played a defence-splitting pass to Conway, who subsequently missed....

But that got me thinking, Evans simply wouldn't even attempt anything no positive, never mind Lowe!

10 minutes ago, Al said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/2...pes-to-quit-birmingham-city-and-make-blackbu/

Somebody tell him he is not wanted. We don't want to be booing another Andrews and it would destroy all the goodwill that Mobray has built up.

No, no ,no. Him coming back would ruin so much good that has taken place since he left. He wasn't good enough when he was here, he wasn't good enough for a terrible Birmingham team. Smallwood is 10 times the player and fan favourite he is and every other center midfielder we have is better, I am including every team down to and including the under 18s in that. I wouldn't even take him at right back back up over Caddis

10 minutes ago, Al said:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/2...pes-to-quit-birmingham-city-and-make-blackbu/

Somebody tell him he is not wanted. We don't want to be booing another Andrews and it would destroy all the goodwill that Mobray has built up.

Spent all summer looking for a club before rocking up at relegation threatened Birmingham.

5months and 3 apps later and he’s in talks to terminate his contract to find a new club because I’m guessing no one is breaking down the door to sign him permanently or on loan.

Not looking too good for him at the moment. He’d better not come back. 

A free J Lowe, where’s Bowyer when you need him?

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, no ,no. Him coming back would ruin so much good that has taken place since he left. He wasn't good enough when he was here, he wasn't good enough for a terrible Birmingham team. Smallwood is 10 times the player and fan favourite he is and every other center midfielder we have is better, I am including every team down to and including the under 18s in that. I wouldn't even take him at right back back up over Caddis

Somebody tell Mowbray quickly. I'm not on twitter.

Maybe J-Lo think it is that easy? He left us when we went down, he has been found out (as we all know he would) at another club (which was a favour of a agent?) Maybe he thinks that since he is a local lad and all that, we would welcome him back with open arms and and let him play?? I do fear IF he returns he will take the place of a better player or an upcoming youngster.

This Lowe thing actually make me furious.

4 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Maybe J-Lo think it is that easy? He left us when we went down, he has been found at (as we all know he would) at another club (which was a favour of a agent?) Maybe he thinks that since he is a local lad and all that, we would welcome him back with open arms and and let him play?? I do fear IF he returns he will take the place of a better player or an upcoming youngster.

This Lowe thing actually make me furious.

I would reckon there is no truth in it. So much BS on the web at this time of the season. 

32 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Spent all summer looking for a club before rocking up at relegation threatened Birmingham.

5months and 3 apps later and he’s in talks to terminate his contract to find a new club because I’m guessing no one is breaking down the door to sign him permanently or on loan.

Not looking too good for him at the moment. He’d better not come back. 

A free J Lowe, where’s Bowyer when you need him?

At Blackpool. 

17 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Not a fan of the lad myself but i really think how bad he is has been blown up in the minds of some. It would not ruin a transfer window if he signed as if hes as bad as some "remember" he just would not get a game. 

P.S. given the option I'd still rather not sign him

Maybe somewhere else, not here. He went from training at West Brom to signing for Birmingham, to been turfed out of there. We are on the up, the club ins't a charity case for footballers down on their luck(anymore). We are signing good ,young and exciting players. Lowe decided he was better than us during the summer(or not willing to pay him enough) , we have moved on. 

I'm perplexed at the few that continue to maintain Jason Lowe isn't as bad as some people say. This opinion surely needs some sort of explanation other than "he ran around a lot". The simple fact of the matter is that one of his biggest attributes according to some, his closing down, has been shown to be absolute pony by Smallwood

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm perplexed at the few that continue to maintain Jason Lowe isn't as bad as some people say. This opinion surely needs some sort of explanation other than "he ran around a lot". The simple fact of the matter is that one of his biggest attributes according to some, his closing down, has been shown to be absolute pony by Smallwood

The difference between the two closing down is that Smallwood actually wins the ball. Lowe was the invisible man of defensive midfielders. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The difference between the two closing down is that Smallwood actually wins the ball. Lowe was the invisible man of defensive midfielders. 

Not only that but Smallwood actually closes down. He doesn't shy away from the game. It wasn't even a case of Lowe closing down and then not putting in a good tackle. He did neither. The reason Lowe moved to right back was that he wasn't present enough in the middle of the park. It became his "best position" by default. Then at right back his technical ability got shown up and his positional ability, something you may be able to get away with lacking at CM through sheer tenacity and headlessness, was shown to be lacking.

There's a reason no club sought to pick him up on a free and there's a reason there's rumours of his contract terminating now. We were forced to utilise him as he was our boy coming through our multi-million pound academy and, unfortunately, we paid the price for over-valuing him. Decent footballers find a club at whatever level but he can't. Every team needs one though. :rolleyes:

I don't agree with booing our own players or negative Twitter campaigns about people who actually care for this club.  If he signed, I'd give him the opportunity to impress or fail. It's very harsh to say it would 'ruin' the positivity around the club. Ridiculous even. 

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don't agree with booing our own players or negative Twitter campaigns about people who actually care for this club.  If he signed, I'd give him the opportunity to impress or fail. It's very harsh to say it would 'ruin' the positivity around the club. Ridiculous even. 

Where do you get he cares about thè club from? He signed a lucrative, long deal which paid him far more than the level of his ability deserved. I read he was offered reduced terms but turned them down believing he could get a similar deal elsewhere. Quite simply he isn't good enough and he will weaken the squad rather than strengthen it.

Wish folk would stop going on about needing wingers, has it ever occurred that maybe we aren’t going to be playing wingers, as mentioned earlier I can see us going similar to

Raya

nyambe.    Mulgrew.   Downing.    Bell

Lenihan 

Smallwood.   Bennet 

payne.             Dack

Graham 

With bell and nyambe very similar pushing forward to give width and dack and Payne drifting in and out of wings as needed. All this talk of needing wingers is guff, when was the last time we had exciting dribbling wingers?! Chapman for about 1 start and some cameo sub appearances. Out and out wingers are not the modern way, football has moved on from the 60s

Just now, Pedro said:

I'm not keen on the idea at all and I believe it would be a backward step in many respects if he returned, but if he did I would accept the decision and treat him the same as any other player we have.

He is not Leon Best, Danny Murphy or Bradley Orr. He does not deserve abuse or to be heckled.

He is a product of our academy who was with the club for many years and I don't doubt always worked his socks off for the club.

Ultimately he and Adam Henley were damaged by the 'regime' at the club by being thrown in too often when they would have benefited from time out on loan elsewhere.

My biggest concern is that if Mowbray brings him back the reaction both in the stands and on social media will be so extreme that he is on a losing run before he even starts. The second he makes a mistake, or gets substituted, there will be hundreds if not thousands heckling him and jeering, which will not only destroy him but also probably damage the good atmosphere around the team as his colleagues will watch on with horror.

For that reason I think Mowbray needs to steer clear and look elsewhere. Too much water under the bridge there and it would open a can of worms. Just leave it. Its done, time to move on.

Archived