BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

50 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not such good news. How old is he? 17?

Yet again im a bit bemused how a string of Premier League Clubs are apparently queueing up to sign him yet he's seemingly not deemed good enough to get a look in in our first team squad

They aren't signing him for their first team, they're signing him for their Academy set-up. Our first team is a lot better than anybody's Academy, as are most other League 1 clubs first team. He isn't Pele or Rooney but a promising young lad who Leicester are spending small change on. How many 17 year olds do you remember being in our 1st team squad over the years?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Maybe not at Premier League level but surely if he's that good he should be in and around our first team squad at League one level? Pele won the world Cup when he was 17 or 18. When did it suddenly become law that players can't play for the first team until they're about 25?

Could just be as simple as he has the technical ability but needs to bulk up more and grow physically now before he will be able to feature in 'adult' games

41 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mahoney?

Jack o Connell? Here 3 and a half years without getting a meaningful first team outing and had to depart aged nearly 21 to get a game! Now pushing for promotion to the Premier League with Sheff Utd.

Josh Morris? Couldn't get a game here now highly rated.

Wharton will probably end up leaving if he doesnt get his chance soon.

Dont forget Alan Judge - twice

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

All the players (maybe not O'Connell) mentioned above left to go and play 1st team football at a lower level. Let's not re-write history.

And most of them are now playing above our level.

19 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Imagine if we had sold duff as a 17 year old

Would rather not. To me he was the most exciting 'youth' player we ever created.

When we had him - I wouldnt have swapped him for Giggs he was that good.

3 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Ok which idiot decided that Ward shouldn't play us as part of the deal? Personally I would have insisted that he does. 

It's a shame but I believe that them is the rules.:(

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Sssh...Some people might think you are ignorant lol

:huh:

Anyhow....... looked him up. Now I know why I never heard of him although I don't suppose a gig as reserve keeper at Clough's and Dave Mackay's Derby was bad in those days.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Indeed, but not really relevant to the context and circumstance in which they left.

I think the point with a lot of the youngsters is not so much where they are now but the fact they rarely get the chance to show whether or not they might be good enough here.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think the point with a lot of the youngsters is not so much where they are now but the fact they rarely get the chance to show whether or not they might be good enough here.

Like i said in an earlier post, they were sold to clubs in a lower division because they weren't deemed as good as what we already had at the time.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Graham Moseley before that...

Keeper.

Later played for Brighton and denied the luckless Joe Craig at Ewood with an absolute blinder of a save from a full-powered downward header when Joe was left unmarked in the six yard box from a corner.

5 minutes ago, philipl said:

Keeper.

Later played for Brighton and denied the luckless Joe Craig at Ewood with an absolute blinder of a save from a full-powered downward header when Joe was left unmarked in the six yard box from a corner.

Funny which things stick in your head.

I remember an end of season  night match at Scunthorpe, when we had to score about 5 goals or something to have a chance of promotion. We had the chances, but you got the sense it was not going to be our day, when Tony Field actually missed a penalty.

Anyway, my abiding memory is of a linesman giving the home side a throw in and Stuart Metcalfe -in apparent disbelief-calling him a w***er. We all heard it from the terraces...

Joe Craig-I remember very little about him, apart from his having played for Celtic!

7 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

Swapped them Ward for Downing in this window. They've been well and truly done! :lol:

What a funny thing this game is.  MK loan us a player they think is surplus tontheir requirements.  They then take a player on loan who is kept out of our team by the guy not good enough for them.  Baffling.  As long as he is not here, good luck to em.

• Backroom

On the subject of Nicko - he says we will make a cash bid for a young player tomorrow but aren't too concerned either way about it.

If true could be Chapman or the Rothwell incident 

Rich sharpe - On the transfer front, TM said: "I'm not sure there will be much business. We will probably make another bid for a footballer which we have not had much success with but it's not the be and end all. I'm just trying to add good players to the ones we've got."

Wonder who the player is. As an aside, Chapman was there tonight watching. Posted on social media how buzzing he was with the win. Looks like we can get it done as long as Boro aren’t too tricky to deal with.

Archived