BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

We're top scorers in this league now, one ahead of Wigan although we have played 2 more games.

Tough game at Plymouth on Saturday, But Shrewsbury have to go to Bristol Rovers who are in really good form atm.

You would  expect Wigan to win at home  to Gillingham, but Gills are in even better form than Bristol so who knows.

Sorry wrong thread folks.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Rich sharpe - On the transfer front, TM said: "I'm not sure there will be much business. We will probably make another bid for a footballer which we have not had much success with but it's not the be and end all. I'm just trying to add good players to the ones we've got."

We never had much success with Lowe so it's probably him.

The player bid for is probably Chapman but I bet Boro are insisting on all sorts of clauses or a big wedge even though his deal is up soon, hopefully they take a punt on him there's a few Bentleys in this one for Barry B if the lad comes good.

Looks like Ben Marshall is going o loan to Millwall, another waste of a modicum of talent it seems. He'd be a dynamite attacking right back in this league but I think he's pretty useless as a winger in a championship team.

Just now, tomphil said:

Looks like Ben Marshall is going o loan to Millwall, another waste of a modicum of talent it seems. He'd be a dynamite attacking right back in this league but I think he's pretty useless as a winger in a championship team.

I doubt he'll last long there, Millwall are a very hardworking team, their manager insists on 100 % from every player, so do the fans.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Have a feeling its Chapman as I cant see the desperate need to bring anyone else in now that isn't already here- bit of a risk but sometimes its good to gamble.

True .. I suppose it depends on how many of the fringe players leave on loan , as ithe squad stands with everybody fit and available I think we're well covered everywhere but Mowbray said last night some of the younger lads will most likely go out on loan somewhere , if say for example Travis and Tomlinson leave that could leave us short in midfield with Smallwoods suspension looming  Evans fitness issues and Whittinghams ..well .. Whittingham . The same could be said at the back , Ward has left if Wharton leaves and Mulgrew breaks down again , we might be short there too

3 minutes ago, AJW said:

True .. I suppose it depends on how many of the fringe players leave on loan , as ithe squad stands with everybody fit and available I think we're well covered everywhere but Mowbray said last night some of the younger lads will most likely go out on loan somewhere , if say for example Travis and Tomlinson leave that could leave us short in midfield with Smallwoods suspension looming  Evans fitness issues and Whittinghams ..well .. Whittingham . The same could be said at the back , Ward has left if Wharton leaves and Mulgrew breaks down again , we might be short there too

True, there is always somewhere we can improve or get cover for.

Lenihan coming back would give us options as he can play both CM and CB.

I wonder which lads he is thinking of sending out. I would keep one of Tomlinson or Travis here. Ward has already gone out at the back so again would ideally keep Wharton here and possibly loan out Platt. Seems Williams is the preferred cover for Mulgrew ahead of more specialized CBs - probably due to age and experience I would gather.

9 hours ago, Tom said:

On the subject of Nicko - he says we will make a cash bid for a young player tomorrow but aren't too concerned either way about it.

If true could be Chapman or the Rothwell incident 

Or that lad from Falkirk who is 17. Unless we've already signed him and I've missed it.

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

:huh:

Anyhow....... looked him up. Now I know why I never heard of him although I don't suppose a gig as reserve keeper at Clough's and Dave Mackay's Derby was bad in those days.

I don't know Rev.  322 League and Cup games as a professional seems a pretty decent career - particularly as he played in the top flight for several seasons with Brighton in the 1980s and reached the FA Cup Final.  I suspect most young lads would settle for a career like that.

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

Although he's presumably going to be featuring for a mid-table Championship side whilst we sit in the 3rd division, so arguably he's no worse off than when he was at Rovers.

22 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Two years ago when Coyle took Rovers to Morecambe Magloire played at centre half alongside Wharton and looked a far better player, especially considering he was about 16.

In that one game he did. Over the course of the season he didn't

34 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Although he's presumably going to be featuring for a mid-table Championship side whilst we sit in the 3rd division, so arguably he's no worse off than when he was at Rovers.

Presumably bench fodder so i suppose it might be an improvement from his recent time at Wolves but he was usually another guaranteed starter at Ewood. Players are supposed to want to play after all so as usual the only thing really better off will be his bank balance.

Somehow i really wouldn't be surprised to see him plying his trade in the third tier next season somewhere.

• Moderation Lead

Re Marshall, I think there's a talented footballer in there somewhere, I just think for one reason and another he's unable/unwilling to exhibit this consistently.

I think he had some issues with depression in the past, but I also question whether he's got the desire any more, which is a real shame.

1 minute ago, tugayislegend said:

If boro demanded say 500,000 would it be wise to offer that? Im guessing that is the minimum they would be asking for

They have to be careful though as his contract is up at end of the season anyway. For a pre-injured Chapman, id probably say that 500k would be money well spent on a player with plenty of potential and excellent resale value. its difficult though as we dont know how this injury would have affected him yet.

9 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

If boro demanded say 500,000 would it be wise to offer that for chapman Im guessing that is the minimum they would be asking for

With the caveat that nobody really knows how much Rovers can be spending these days, I'd say that's still a very good value gamble, even with the injury.

If we're saying that we're basing our strategy on buying young with potential, an England u20 world cup winner with the obvious talent that he has is about as reliable a candidate as you can get, and 500k is a likely steal.

10 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

With the caveat that nobody really knows how much Rovers can be spending these days, I'd say that's still a very good value gamble, even with the injury.

If we're saying that we're basing our strategy on buying young with potential, an England u20 world cup winner with the obvious talent that he has is about as reliable a candidate as you can get, and 500k is a likely steal.

Ya, even if he barely pushes on we would recoup that. I think he will push on considerably though...

Archived