BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No-one on here as a clue what would happen to the club if we didnt go up. Its all guess work by some people. 

The same people said players like Mulgrew, Lenihan, Graham and Conway would leave last summer but none done. 

And that Mulgrew and Dack would leave and yet again none done. We didnt have 1 bid for Dack in January as Mowbray said. 

You have this horrible tendency to constantly point out how many times others have been wrong whilst ignoring all of your own wrongs.

What equally grates is how many times you claim to have been right: "I said this back.." has become your new catchphrase.

The truth is most fans are basing their opinion on what has happened previously under Venkys (they spent upon relegation to the Championship, failed to get promoted and then pulled in the purse strings) whereas you are basing your opinion on blind loyalty to whatever the club, its manager or executives say despite the fact we have been lied too repeatedly for 7+ years.

The only thing that you are right about is that no one has a clue what will happen, not even you, because the Venkys have never, and will never, act in a reasonable way. With that said, though, it's far more likely that should we not get promoted we'd sell our better players. 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No-one on here as a clue what would happen to the club if we didnt go up. Its all guess work by some people. 

The same people said players like Mulgrew, Lenihan, Graham and Conway would leave last summer but none done. 

And that Mulgrew and Dack would leave and yet again none done. We didnt have 1 bid for Dack in January as Mowbray said. 

This is very true. There is a lot of worrying (quite understandably) but the seeming inevitable doomsday scenario hasnt occured each year.

It's not clear how long it will continue. It essentially down to Venkys desire to fund us or cut their losses. It's a total blackbox.

We could get promoted and Venkys then pull the plug for unrelated reasons. Obviously promotion helps, but it doesn't change the fundamentals which is we survive on the will of the Rao family.

So promotion is nice but it's impossible to say what ultimate bearing it will have on our future. 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

This is very true. There is a lot of worrying (quite understandably) but the seeming inevitable doomsday scenario hasnt occured each year.

It's not clear how long it will continue. It essentially down to Venkys desire to fund us or cut their losses. It's a total blackbox.

We could get promoted and Venkys then pull the plug for unrelated reasons. Obviously promotion helps, but it doesn't change the fundamentals which is we survive on the will of the Rao family.

So promotion is nice but it's impossible to say what ultimate bearing it will have on our future. 

I remain of the belief that the investment is a last ditch attempt to keep us 'sellable' via promotion on their terms rather than getting rid of us through admin.

Nothing more than a hunch, mind. I may not be hysterical, but I share MGPensioner's view of 'saving' the club this season.

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I remain of the belief that the investment is a last ditch attempt to keep us 'sellable' via promotion on their terms rather than getting rid of us through admin.

Nothing more than a hunch, mind. I may not be hysterical, but I share MGPensioner's view of 'saving' the club this season.

A very reasonable and sounds argument Mike, very refreshing to read in a sea of hysteria and falsehoods that blight this place these days.

For what it's worth I've given up second guessing the owners, I firmly believed relegation to the 3rd division would see them leave, but quite the opposite has occurred with investment in the playing side, who'd have thought it.

Doomsday will come eventually I'm sure, it has to under the current weight of debt, but losing sleep over it stopped a while ago and enjoying the footy is a much better place to be.

5 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

A mindest of 'this is how we play, I dont care how you play, this is us, deal with it'

You made some other points about tinkering that I do partially agree with but the idea that any manager/team shouldn’t prepare for the opposition is barmy, to me at least.

Not specifically you FGs, there seems to be a common agreement amongst some fans on the “simplicity” of the challenge presented to us, and that our manager/team is making hard work of the season- I don’t dispute claims we could’ve been better but I will argue to the hilt with anyone who thinks that winning games is as simple as picking our best team in an attacking formation.

There is much more to football and each game.

36 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The investment is very welcome but its been minimal and long overdue probably a couple of million to sign players outside of the millions annually under writing the loses which is just profits from elsewhere lost in Rovers books imo.

They'd easily get that back from one decent sale I'm sure that's why they've agreed to it and i wouldn't expect much difference if anything at all should we go up. Doing it prudently now is no bad thing but it would need some good backing to get restablished at Champ level.

Promotion and up for sale would be best move all around if not we have to hope they are happy to lose another ten million into the Vll books next season to keep things going as they are in this league.

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Gav said:

A very reasonable and sounds argument Mike, very refreshing to read in a sea of hysteria and falsehoods that blight this place these days.

For what it's worth I've given up second guessing the owners, I firmly believed relegation to the 3rd division would see them leave, but quite the opposite has occurred with investment in the playing side, who'd have thought it.

Doomsday will come eventually I'm sure, it has to under the current weight of debt, but losing sleep over it stopped a while ago and enjoying the footy is a much better place to be.

You see I just don't think this is true at all and making sweeping statements like this, really isn't helpful. If there really was a sea of hysteria and falsehoods blighting this place as you put it, then it surely shouldn't be too difficult to quote such an offending post to back up your viewpoint?

I'd argue that it was more hysterical to say that fans on here were being hysterical tbh. Apart from the odd melodramatic quip, I'd say people's criticisms are largely fair game. Certainly as there has been plenty to criticise after the last two games.

Hysterical to me would be something like 'our season is over' or 'sack Mowbray now!!'. I've not seen a single post suggesting either of those two, if I had seen such posts en masse, I'd gladly agree, to be fair.

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

You made some other points about tinkering that I do partially agree with but the idea that any manager/team shouldn’t prepare for the opposition is barmy, to me at least.

Not specifically you FGs, there seems to be a common agreement amongst some fans on the “simplicity” of the challenge presented to us, and that our manager/team is making hard work of the season- I don’t dispute claims we could’ve been better but I will argue to the hilt with anyone who thinks that winning games is as simple as picking our best team in an attacking formation.

There is much more to football and each game.

For me thats still in the mindset that we are a small team in the big leagues. In this league right now we are the big fish.

Does pep worries to much about opposition right backs? No he is arrongant that his team will play his way and they will win. Even after a season of poor results really, he still retained that arrogance and stuck to his way.

Now obviously we arent man city, but the same thinking applies. We have the best players, the biggest budget/wage bill. Just pick your best team and send them out to win.

I swear a lot of managers would rather draw 2 games than win one and lose one so they can say they are unbeaten in 2 and so on.

We have seen every team now in this league and there is nothing to be feared. Give teams the respect they deserve, but we shouldnt be fearing anyone or their right backs.

23 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

For me thats still in the mindset that we are a small team in the big leagues. In this league right now we are the big fish.

Does pep worries to much about opposition right backs? No he is arrongant that his team will play his way and they will win. Even after a season of poor results really, he still retained that arrogance and stuck to his way.

Now obviously we arent man city, but the same thinking applies. We have the best players, the biggest budget/wage bill. Just pick your best team and send them out to win.

I swear a lot of managers would rather draw 2 games than win one and lose one so they can say they are unbeaten in 2 and so on.

We have seen every team now in this league and there is nothing to be feared. Give teams the respect they deserve, but we shouldnt be fearing anyone or their right backs.

Do you really know what Pep does? From what I’ve read, the top, top managers leave no stone unturned. I can understand the sentiment that they’d be less reactive to the teams they play but from watching City this season on rare occasion, they do alter setup game to game. 

Ofcourse they are a tenuous comparison because of level, but you can see some comparison in the riches they have at that level to the comparative riches we have.

That said - look at city last season. Arguably a similar level of quality minus a few acquisitions. Where does the considerable difference in performance come from?

To me, it’s the way they are set up. I agree it’s frustrating to hear the comments on Oldhams full back but that’s just TM’s (over) honesty at times, I’m sure many managers will do similar things with different opposition- look at the way teams have reacted to Dack recently.

Playing full backs on the wing though lets teams focus on Dack.

The team selection and mindset also passes onto the players. Answer yourself this.'What was your initial reaction when you saw the team sat'?

Mine was WTF and in my head I was a bit on the back foot before the game kicked off. Players are only the same as us, what did they think looking at that team sheet.

I wonder if we hadnt lost our 1st game in ages what the team sat would have looked like. Obviously we will never know, but I suspect it would have been more attack minded and positive

37 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

City are basically a football industry. They have teams of scouts, coaches and others. No comparison. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

City are basically a football industry. They have teams of scouts, coaches and others. No comparison. 

Your missing my point. Its not to compare us to city, its to highlight the mentality of a top manager.

1 minute ago, FGS5635 said:

Your missing my point. Its not to compare us to city, its to highlight the mentality of a top manager.

You missed my point. Obviously Pep is a top manager, but City have set up structures around him that make succeeding more likely. Mowbray is trying to set up structures here himself as he inherited such a cluster @#/?. 

50 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You see I just don't think this is true at all and making sweeping statements like this, really isn't helpful. If there really was a sea of hysteria and falsehoods blighting this place as you put it, then it surely shouldn't be too difficult to quote such an offending post to back up your viewpoint?

Hysterical to me would be something like 'our season is over' or 'sack Mowbray now!!'. I've not seen a single post suggesting either of those two, if I had seen such posts en masse, I'd gladly agree, to be f j

On 10/02/2018 at 15:31, Gogger said:

Well done Smallwood and Nyambe. What a bunch of overpaip sunday league players. TM out.

On 10/02/2018 at 15:43, Roboftherovers82 said:

If  we lose today questions need to start about  TM is he the man  to get us over the line or not personally i am not  sure 

@#/? it time to get  rid  of tm he  is @#/?ing  shite

On 10/02/2018 at 15:49, alcd said:

Rotherham winning again - will be only 6 pts behind as it stands. Need to sack Mowbray to save the season.

30 second search on this thread.

I dont see what structure he needs when it comes to picking his starting 11 and picking his best team.

He has assembled a talented squad of players despite all the custer ^%^£$ around him and he deserves credit for that. Now he has to use them correctly.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

No worse than you would hear in any pub during a recent Rovers game and I'm sure not far off what a few would have said at Ewood on Saturday.

The clue is in the word 'few'.

Worse will be said tonight if results go against us.

That's just football banter - not the mass hysteria that some are trying to sell.

1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

He has assembled a talented squad of players despite all the custer ^%^£$ around him and he deserves credit for that. Now he has to use them correctly.

In the post-match interviews, Jack Payne stated that the first half disaster was down to the players, and that this was their responsibility. Mowbray referred back to just 2 losses in 20-odd games, and when the question of clean sheets came up, he insinuated that to do so would involve playing a lot more defensively, and not the attacking football that he believes we already play.

To my mind, there's a difference between possession football, and using that possession to capitalise with goals. That's the bit that is missing for me. I realise we are high scorers in the league, but we've got the players to be far more clever in the games against lesser teams, and it doesn't seem to happen often enough.

The message I get from within the camp is that, whenever we have a bad period of play, it's nothing to do with formations or players being played out of position, but just simply a bad period of play that we hope rectifies itself later. I wouldn't hold your breath about him suddenly realising that he has to use the players correctly - to his mind, he already is.

31 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

3 or 4 posts in a thread 36 pages long is hardly a "sea of hysteria" :lol::lol:

The majority of your posts are consumed with how this board is full of falsehoods. Oh the irony.

It's way beyond your capacity to understand the concept of asking a question, as K-Hod did, and a fellow poster offering a reply as I did.

Now run along and let the adults talk, isn't your tea ready?

12 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

In the post-match interviews, Jack Payne stated that the first half disaster was down to the players, and that this was their responsibility. Mowbray referred back to just 2 losses in 20-odd games, and when the question of clean sheets came up, he insinuated that to do so would involve playing a lot more defensively, and not the attacking football that he believes we already play.

To my mind, there's a difference between possession football, and using that possession to capitalise with goals. That's the bit that is missing for me. I realise we are high scorers in the league, but we've got the players to be far more clever in the games against lesser teams, and it doesn't seem to happen often enough.

The message I get from within the camp is that, whenever we have a bad period of play, it's nothing to do with formations or players being played out of position, but just simply a bad period of play that we hope rectifies itself later. I wouldn't hold your breath about him suddenly realising that he has to use the players correctly - to his mind, he already is.

Exactly. Which is why it’s a waste of time everyone harping on about his failings. He’s in his late 50s, he isn’t going to change now. And if he didn’t have failings he wouldn’t have been unemployed for the bulk of the previous 4 years nor accepting a job at a 3rd division club run by lunatics with a jury for a crowd.

No-one is going to sack the manager of the 3rd place club who are joint highest scorers with the 3rd best defence (amazingly) with 15 games to go. We are stuck with him whether anyone likes him or not.

As we are stuck with Raya in goal. Everyone else is up for grabs though between now and May. There is no best 11 or best formation; the squad is unbalanced and they are all  as inconsistent as ****. What will get us up is enough of them growing a pair and winning most of their one-on-one battles in the next 15 games. 

• Backroom

Our quality lies in attacking midfield.

To me, that says we should let the defence sit back and defend, with Smallwood screening.

That lets our fantastic attacking options go for it behind the striker/s. I'd eventually want:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan   Mulgrew    Bell

Smallwood

Payne       Dack      Chapman

Graham    Armstrong

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Well what a fun forum this would be to follow during matches If you cant react to going two behind vs Oldham at home without it beeing «Hysterical». Heat of the moment etc. 

19 minutes ago, Gogger said:

Well what a fun forum this would be to follow during matches If you cant react to going two behind vs Oldham at home without it beeing «Hysterical». Heat of the moment etc. 

The quote is in no way an attack on you Gogger, a question was asked, a 30 second search made and the answer given. 

So apologies for that.

Archived