BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

On 2/10/2018 at 12:24, Hasta said:

No it didn't. It really didn't.

Oh yes it did.  At the end if the game it did, today it doesn't.  After thenemotions have calmed down it is what it is, 2 points dropped at home against a team we should be taking 3 points from.  Over coaching by our version of tinkerman, too much concern for how to stifle them with the side effect of actually stifling us.  How well did that work?

We got lucky on 2 fronts, our automatic spot chasing rivals dropped points and yiung Travis may be the latest to show some real promise.  I'll temper that with one word, Tomlinson, who had a similar eye catching performance then immediatley faded.  Can we use this yiung lad with Smallwood in place of Bennett, who I thought was awful, I saw some of what Rev mentions.  I think it was him that lost the ball for their first and on several occasions I watched him watch the ball run right by him when I thought he should have gained possesion, lazy? scared? I don't know but un-acceptable.

On to Tuesday, I just have little faith.  Until I start to see Mowbary consistantly send our lads out to win I won't have.  Tony, point out the opponents strengths and weaknesses to our lads then  tell em go out there, give their all, have fun, express themselves and win.  I really think we have the squad to do it but they need to be allowed to go gung ho once in a while.  That's my two cents and that's why I manage mfg people and not football teams.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

well folks 2 totally different performances. 

1st half we were woeful and the formation and team selection weren't right. Mowbray picked the wrong team from the start. we started 4-2-3-1 with Bell and Payne as the wingers in the 3 behind the strikers. either provided the width or attacking play I would expect from those positions. Oldham played a simple 4-4-2 and their 2 strikers trouble our defence. Nyambe was exposed for the 1st goal and Mulgrew should have know better than allow him space and time instead of closing him down quickly. 

2nd half we change formation and 2 subs were made. Downing and Smallwood off Armstrong and Travis on. we went 3 at the back with Nyambe, Mulgrew and Williams as back 3 with Travis and Bell as wing back with Bennett holding midfielder with Dack and Payne provided the support to Armstrong and Graham. then after 10 mins Mowbray swap Bennett and Travis positions and this bought us more possession and greater attacking play and threat. Bennett gave the width and some good balls into the box and Travis looked very comfortable in centre midfield with good positioning and winning the ball back 

Mulgrew's free kick was excellent and keeper was unsighted. Armstrong took his goal very well and was a threat all 2nd half. 

Payne should have done better with his header by taking the ball down and controlling the ball and finish. poor. 

disappointed not to win it considering how much pressure we applied but after being 2 nil down at half time down quite happy with point. 

I have been saying we should play 3 at the back since Bell and Armstrong joined. gave us more attacking threat and IMO make us stronger at the back. 

Man of the match for me was Bennett. don't know how Payne got it. 

Really chaddy  I thought he was poor.  What about the guy you championed before the game, young Travis, he did rather well.  You were a bit beaten up for that suggestion but turns out you were right not like you not to bring that up.

23 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I have gut feeling , Shrewsbury will start shipping a few more in the coming months ! Wigan I will agree with !

I am amazed Wigan are.still going strong.  Last season I thought they were one of the worst teams I had seen at Ewood in a long long time.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some fans do need to grip at times. Seen some fans calling for Mowbray to sack in the past week on social media. Some fans wanted a change on here after 11 games. 

Some hysterical by some fans on social media. Talking a friend who went plymouth away he was a coach back and some fans were calling for Mowbray to be sack.

We played 4-2-3-1 most of the season not 4-4-2

Agreed Kamy. 

I guess some fans panic and worry more than others. 

I backed Mowbray after 11 games when some wanted a change but I remain calm and sensible

Recent results? 1 loss and 1 draw. 

Before that we had 40 points from 18 games. 

Im frustrations by us missing chances but the Players have to take some blame and Mowbray for some team selections but compare to some recent managers I rather have Mowbray every day. 

That poster has been the same ever since Mowbray was appointed. 

Looks from his posts he want us to fail cos it would suit his agenda. Hope im wrong tbh. 

False 9? 

So basically the number 10 role. 

You a prick? I was responding to the message above asking where dack could play in a 4-4-2, no reason he can’t play just behind a graham, Samuel or Armstrong. 

4 hours ago, Gav said:

This message board has always been the best out there because it welcomes all opinions, so calling Chaddys rubbish and posting what then go on to say is a massive contradiction in terms.

As for nobody calling for Mowbray out, maybe you missed the 150+ votes in the stick or twist thread? (Now halved by the way) so that's simply not true 99.

Where I do agree is that Mowbray isn't beyond critisizm though, that first half yesterday and his inability to spot and drop tired players at Plymouth wasn't his best moments of the season.

But one thing that shouldn't be forgotten and often is, we're all Blackburn Rovers supporters and I would hope we all want to do well.

"I remain calm and sensible" Sort of sets himself up wouldn't you agree? 

8 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

There are concerns and I share them in terms of how we struggle against some teams.  There has been some meaasured debate in here.  The hysteria I was referring to was stuff like "15 games to save our club Tony".

That reflects a fear that Venkys have funded the club this season on the basis that that TM promised them promotion. What happens if he doesn't manage it?

You yourself have said in another post that we are only a fortnight away from another disastrous decision from Venkys.

That's almost as" hysterical "as saying "only 15 games to save the club"isn't it?

For the record I don't think you're being hysterical at all with that statement but you are having your cake and eating it.

Our recent record will not see us overtake Shrewsbury, indeed we could be looking over our shoulders at the rising pack if we keep failing to beat teams like Oldham.

This isn't hysteria, its common-sense. And these superior people who keep urging the rest to keep calm are getting on my nerves.

16 hours ago, Paul said:

It’s the difference between forming an opinion based on what one reads or listens to as opposed to what one sees and experiences for oneself. Which is why the fans in the ground had a far better afternoon than those who weren’t at Ewood.

Personally I went from despair at 0-2 to a gut wrenching, nervous, exhilarating 25 minutes in the second half. I was on my feet for the whole of that. Best afternoon at Ewood in a long, long time. 

Thankyou for explaining

13 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

Very disingenuous. There's no hysteria. Just people questioning  and debating decisions and the performances. This new trend for labelling anyone who doesn't praise everything the manager and team do as hysterical is really starting to grate. I thought message boards were for opinions, and all were welcome? If anyone not conforming to the party line is going to get labelled as hysterical every time they voice an opposing opinion, then that debate and opinion will disappear and this place will be a much poorer place.

We talk on oxford feed,why do you not go to matches ? to help understend?

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

Really chaddy  I thought he was poor.  What about the guy you championed before the game, young Travis, he did rather well.  You were a bit beaten up for that suggestion but turns out you were right not like you not to bring that up.

Yes I did. Commented he had a good game. certaining pushing himself towards a starting spot. 

Big fan of Bennett. give us work rate, tackles, positional good and 3 assist which is the same as Dack and 1 behind Antonsson who is our top assist this season according to the stats I could find

4 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

So better to let the game peter out than try and win it with an attacking sub? 

And how is being 2 0 down to 11 man Plymouth away from home a 'similar situation'? 

why bring on Samuel who has done owt recently and you suggest playing him as wing back which he certainly isn't and or play in up front and move Travis to right wing back and have no defensively midfielder

4 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You a prick? I was responding to the message above asking where dack could play in a 4-4-2, no reason he can’t play just behind a graham, Samuel or Armstrong. 

so a 4-2-3-1 formation not 4-4-2 then

12 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

hysteria and unbeaten runs in context, here is the last 10 league games form :-

Wigan - 6W 3D 1L = 21

Shrews - 6W 2D 2L = 20

Rovers - 4W 5D 1L = 17

Rotherham - 7W 3D = 24

so the facts say

too many draws (same as last season under TM)

we will not be top 2 or even 3 unless something improves in the last 15 games

failure

4 wins in 10 from a team chasing automatic promotion when they are not yet  even in the automatic promotion spots. Would it be hysterical to suggest that isn't good enough?

10 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

It wouldn't be a 4-4-2 then. For an expert on football you don't really know a lot. What was that phrase you used again, 'you're not a football man'. 

If one post by a forum member (referring to the 15 games to save our club comment) is reason enough to tell fans on here to "get a grip" for all becoming hysterical then we may as well just give up trying to form any reasoned debate.

MGPensioner has been saying "x games to save our club" since before Christmas. He certainly isn't talking on behalf of posters on here.

It's all well and good getting in punch lines like get a grip but the truth is there wasn't any hysteria or similar to warrant it.

Mowbray is showing now why some fans criticised him so much at the start of the season. He's got it wrong a lot of times this year and I only hope that doesn't cost us in the end.

7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If one post by a forum member (referring to the 15 games to save our club comment) is reason enough to tell fans on here to "get a grip" for all becoming hysterical then we may as well just give up trying to form any reasoned debate.

MGPensioner has been saying "x games to save our club" since before Christmas. He certainly isn't talking on behalf of posters on here.

It's all well and good getting in punch lines like get a grip but the truth is there wasn't any hysteria or similar to warrant it.

Mowbray is showing now why some fans criticised him so much at the start of the season. He's got it wrong a lot of times this year and I only hope that doesn't cost us in the end.

You want to listen to the latest podcast mate. They're all twitter chums.

9 hours ago, Mark45 said:

We talk on oxford feed,why do you not go to matches ? to help understend?

I'm not sure what you mean. But, the original point was that people on here are being hysterical, then moved to wider social media. I've read all of this and other threads and in my opinion, noone is being hysterical, so I think I understand the original statement pretty well. If the point was people in the stands reacted hysterically, then fair enough, I couldn't have an opinion as I wasn't there.

To answer your question, and without wanting to tread over well worn and tiresome ground, we all know the opinions on both sides - it's been done to death,  I will start to go to matches again once Venkys leave, regardless of league or position. But, recent circumstances in my personal life have added a caveat to that. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our first child. So, in 5 or 6 years time, when he / she (we don't know the sex yet) is old enough to go, I will be taking him / her, regardless of whether Venkys are here or not. Ideally, they won't be, but some things are more important.

19 minutes ago, BiggusMickus said:

I'm not sure what you mean. But, the original point was that people on here are being hysterical, then moved to wider social media. I've read all of this and other threads and in my opinion, noone is being hysterical, so I think I understand the original statement pretty well. If the point was people in the stands reacted hysterically, then fair enough, I couldn't have an opinion as I wasn't there.

To answer your question, and without wanting to tread over well worn and tiresome ground, we all know the opinions on both sides - it's been done to death,  I will start to go to matches again once Venkys leave, regardless of league or position. But, recent circumstances in my personal life have added a caveat to that. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our first child. So, in 5 or 6 years time, when he / she (we don't know the sex yet) is old enough to go, I will be taking him / her, regardless of whether Venkys are here or not. Ideally, they won't be, but some things are more important.

Congrats mate.

54 minutes ago, BiggusMickus said:

But, recent circumstances in my personal life have added a caveat to that. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our first child. So, in 5 or 6 years time, when he / she (we don't know the sex yet) is old enough to go, I will be taking him / her, regardless of whether Venkys are here or not. Ideally, they won't be, but some things are more important.

Congratulations to you both and I hope everything goes well.

On the point about the Oldham fans I think it proves again it's time to shove any big following upstairs. Yes they'd probably have to move the handful of home fans but there is no doubt it helped influence their team on Saturday being packed in at ground level, stick em up in the air.

Bung those moved a voucher for a free pie or pint for the Wigan and Bradford games, won't be popular with them but sorry it's all about the points and they can still goad the away fans from the side :lol:

I love this extremely honest quote from Payne about the game. He covers everything and then just adds we were awful, just to make sure it is clear how bad we were. What is it with us starting games so poorly as of late? 

“The first half wasn’t good enough. We couldn’t get going, we take responsibility for that. We didn’t keep the ball, didn’t defend well, didn’t attack well and were awful

2 hours ago, BiggusMickus said:

I'm not sure what you mean. But, the original point was that people on here are being hysterical, then moved to wider social media. I've read all of this and other threads and in my opinion, noone is being hysterical,

Totally agree. I knew he'd lost it when I heard him singing 'something tells me I'm into something good'. Talk about an overreaction.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I did. Commented he had a good game. certaining pushing himself towards a starting spot. 

Big fan of Bennett. give us work rate, tackles, positional good and 3 assist which is the same as Dack and 1 behind Antonsson who is our top assist this season according to the stats I could find

why bring on Samuel who has done owt recently and you suggest playing him as wing back which he certainly isn't and or play in up front and move Travis to right wing back and have no defensively midfielder

so a 4-2-3-1 formation not 4-4-2 then

If 0 goals and 3 assists is good enough in more than half a season for a promotion chasing attacking midfilder then weve got different standards.

Archived