BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] THE BATTLE FOR PROMOTION....WON.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Could you see us bringing on another centre forward if we were 0-0 and down to ten men ?  We'd be hanging on for a point and probably concede a goal with five minutes left.

Different situations though. Shrewsbury are playing catch-up and are in a position where a point is of no use really, better for them to risk losing by trying to win as only wins will help them to catch us and Wigan.

Do you think that if our positions were reversed then Hirst would still have made the same decision?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

This board is amusing at times. I am lambasted usually for being too negative and then when I finally be positive I am being silly as well. Yes its still possible but as 47er pointed out, we really only need a couple more wins and they would then have to win almost all of theirs to finish above us. Just my opinion but I think we have it in the bag now.

Yes!I don't think anyone is writing Shrewsbury off but its our's to throw away now. 

28 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

This board is amusing at times. I am lambasted usually for being too negative and then when I finally be positive I am being silly as well. Yes its still possible but as 47er pointed out, we really only need a couple more wins and they would then have to win almost all of theirs to finish above us. Just my opinion but I think we have it in the bag now.

You only have to look at the various odds given on us being promoted to see that your new found positivity is not misplaced;

1/16. 1/33. 1/33. 1/20. 1/33. 1/20. 3/100. 1/20. 1/20. 1/10

I know that it's about more than what the bookies are saying but three major bookmakers giving odds of 1/33 on is an extremely strong indicator. 

Just now, DaveyB said:

Different situations though. Shrewsbury are playing catch-up and are in a position where a point is of no use really, better for them to risk losing by trying to win as only wins will help them to catch us and Wigan.

Do you think that if our positions were reversed then Hirst would still have made the same decision?

I was meaning if we had have been in Shrewsbury's position what would we have done. I suspect we would have still hung on for a point. 

12 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Think Shrews will drop more points over the next week or so.

Promotion at Donny. 

Hope so as I have tickets  for Donny. Feel it my go to the Valley myself and if we play like we did at Gillingham then it may be a nerve shredder at home to Oxford. 

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was meaning if we had have been in Shrewsbury's position what would we have done. I suspect we would have still hung on for a point. 

I'm not so sure. I know that Mowbray's first instincts are to be cautious - and we start that way more often than not - but I think he's shown that when his back's against the wall and we need to go for it, he's not afraid to do so. Oldham at home is an example that springs to mind - I know it's slightly different, but at 2-0 down at half time, he changed it and we went gung-ho in the second half, leaving us very exposed at the back and vulnerable to conceding a third, but ultimately it was a gamble that (kind of) paid off.

I know it's hypothetical, but I like to think that if we were in Shrewsbury's position, where a draw was no better to us than a loss, he would go all out for the win. But, fortunately, we're not in that position, nor have we been all season really, so I can understand the caution he's showing - in our position every point matters and it's not worth throwing away 1 trying to chase 3 - and if he had done that, say at Gillingham on Tuesday, he would have been hammered for it on here (quite rightly imo)

1 hour ago, JayDee said:

Hope so as I have tickets  for Donny. Feel it my go to the Valley myself and if we play like we did at Gillingham then it may be a nerve shredder at home to Oxford. 

Have your Donny tickets been delivered yet? Getting a bit worried my transaction online didn't go through properly...

We should go a long way to wrapping things up tomorrow. I can't see Shrewsbury winning at Charlton. That will leave us 7(basically 8 with GD) clear, with 4 games to play. Shrewsbury will be planning for the play offs then. 

If we don't win tomorrow, we are going to make things more difficult. The players need to give it everything. I think we will win 0-2

On a related note, not a fan of Dacks missus and what that brings. Those types of relationships never end well. He has bags of talent, someone should advise him to focus on that and not living a vacuous and nonsensical celebrity lifestyle. Might as well be talking to the wall I suppose though. In fact a manager saying anything to him would probably be counter intuitive. The fact he is being snapped out in the pub recently is sign enough that his head has been turned 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On a related note, not a fan of Dacks missus and what that brings. Those types of relationships never end well. He has bags of talent, someone should advise him to focus on that and not living a vacuous and nonsensical celebrity lifestyle. Might as well be talking to the wall I suppose though. In fact a manager saying anything to him would probably be counter intuitive. The fact he is being snapped out in the pub recently is sign enough that his head has been turned 

London beckons ...?

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

London beckons ...?

Only a matter of time I'd say. West ham or someone like that will make a decent bid at some point. Id say he will stay til next season anyway 

I'm more worried that his performances will be affected in the meantime. Maybe I'm stereotyping but I wouldn't imagine she would understand much about the work ethic and dedication required to be a top championship or even Premier league player

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

He's an immense talent, I'm sure he can have his cake and eat it too.

Worked for Beckham. 

If he starts taking advice off Dunny then i'll be concerned :D

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

He's an immense talent, I'm sure he can have his cake and eat it too.

Worked for Beckham. 

If he starts taking advice off Dunny then i'll be concerned :D

It did and it didn't work for Beckham. He got turfed out of utd for his lifestyle 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It did and it didn't work for Beckham. He got turfed out of utd for his lifestyle 

And then went on to captain England, making 115 apearances and play successfully for the biggest club in the world for a number of years.

Such a senseless waste!

Beckham was turned out because his manager was one of the most egotistical narsissists to have ever lived. Just ask Jaap Staam

Utd missed Beckham more than he missed Utd in the end. He didn't have a bad career for a one footed plodder.

Sir Red Nose later 'lauded the attitude that had allowed him to play on at the highest level until the age of 38. “How can I argue with how he has turned out as a human being? He is an icon to kids and a very wealthy guy." '

now as for that fat lump of lard Dunn....

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I've never called you negative, I'm just saying it would be silly to write Shrewsbury off. Literally anything could happen, especially at this stage of the season.  It has absolutely nothing with being positive or negative. 

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

Beckham was turned out because his manager was one of the most egotistical nardissist to have ever lived.

Utd missed Beckham more than he missed Utd in the end. He didn't have a bad career for a one footed plodder.

Sir Red Nose later 'lauded the attitude that had allowed him to play on at the highest level until the age of 38. “How can I argue with how he has turned out as a human being? He is an icon to kids and a very wealthy guy." '

Beckham's post United career was driven by his and his wife's other businesses. Moving to fashion capitals like Milan, Madrid, Paris and Los Angeles wasn't their doing. They just did what they are told.

Just now, Rover_Shaun said:

But Beckham was a poor example as he exceeded his potential.

Venky cheerleader Dunn would have been a better example.

But who's to say Dack won't exceed his?

The new George Best, but better.

Archived