BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Peterborough

Just now, Mattyblue said:

And it REALLY showed last night, he looked completely out of his depth, felt for him a bit and I was glad when he was put out of his misery.

Ya, he looked lost, but how would Shearer have gotten on right midfield? It's a bit crazy when you consider how many players we have playing out of position 

Bennett right back, although he is so good in many positions ,its tough to pick where you would say he is best, prob centre mid ,but that is actually where he has played least 

Mulgrew and Lenihan , well ok centre halves now, both were centre mids

Williams was a centre half, but would probably call himself a left back now

Antonnsson and Armstrong are strikers playing on the wing. I suppose Rashford does the same for Utd, but having 2 strikers on the wing really isn't ideal 

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is always interesting that some players seem to get stick - while others get off.

Evans last night was poor - but IMO Smallwood was worse and at points looked like he was running in treacle. 

If you take away Dack's goals - he had a poor night - often making the wrong choice and giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Similarly - Williams had a poor night - but contributed to two goals.

Granted both Dack and Smallwood have contributed far more over the season than Williams or Evans - but last night they were all part of a poor team performance in the 1st Half.

For anyone in the Jack Walker - the tackle on Antonsson looked to me dangerous under today's rules - what is your opinion ?

Yep, so many players were equally as bad, but one gets singled out. Evans over Smallwood as you say, also Antonnsson over Armstrong

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yep, so many players were equally as bad, but one gets singled out. Evans over Smallwood as you say, also Antonnsson over Armstrong

Thing with Armstrong is we can all see his strengths and his weaknesses and as such you can understand why he is great one week and not sure so great in others as his strengths are very good and his weaknesses are really weak.

The trouble antonsson has is I cant see any strengths. He frustrates the life out of me every time he plays. He always has the look of a guy thats playing in the wrong age group or something.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Thing with Armstrong is we can all see his strengths and his weaknesses and as such you can understand why he is great one week and not sure so great in others as his strengths are very good and his weaknesses are really weak.

The trouble antonsson has is I cant see any strengths. He frustrates the life out of me every time he plays. He always has the look of a guy thats playing in the wrong age group or something.

To be honest I haven't noticed much difference between the two in recent games 

Just now, FGS5635 said:

To be balanced - Antonsson did have a period during the season where he looked half decent, scored goals and was looking a permanent fixture in the team. Similarly Armstrong had a more recent period where he has looked half decent and had a run of goals. However - last night both were poor - and I would argue that Armstrong gave away the ball more than Antonsson. Looking at the team as a whole - Antonsson adds height which we do lack at times - but personally prefer Armstrong's pace.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he looked lost, but how would Shearer have gotten on right midfield? It's a bit crazy when you consider how many players we have playing out of position 

Bennett right back, although he is so good in many positions ,its tough to pick where you would say he is best, prob centre mid ,but that is actually where he has played least 

Antonnsson and Armstrong are strikers playing on the wing. I suppose Rashford does the same for Utd, but having 2 strikers on the wing really isn't ideal 

Shearer wouldn't have to contemplate playing left wing because he'd have cemented his place up front. Comparing the two is silly. Besides, I'd assume Shearer would do a lot better than Antonsson wherever they both played on the pitch. The two are chalk and cheese.

8 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It is always interesting that some players seem to get stick - while others get off.

Evans last night was poor - but IMO Smallwood was worse and at points looked like he was running in treacle. 

If you take away Dack's goals - he had a poor night - often making the wrong choice and giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Similarly - Williams had a poor night - but contributed to two goals.

Granted both Dack and Smallwood have contributed far more over the season than Williams or Evans - but last night they were all part of a poor team performance in the 1st Half.

For anyone in the Jack Walker - the tackle on Antonsson looked to me dangerous under today's rules - what is your opinion ?

This is very true. Smallwood has been off the boil for some time now. Where has the tough tackling no nonsense player from the first ~20 games gone? He almost seems scared to put himself about now. He had an excuse with an impending suspension but that's over now - do your bloody job!

I thought Dack looked one of our better players. In all honesty it was a poor performance all round, even by the ever reliable Mulgrew. We lacked edge in the first half and any real quality would have saw Peterborough put to the sword in the opening 15

I think if you stick any player wide left there in a team thats on the front foot most games and superior to most in this division, he will score some goals no matter how good he is.

Antonsson had a lucky purple patch where the ball fell right for him at times.He has since been found out and imo just isnt good enough currently

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Shearer would have been the best right midfielder we had.  He was the best right winger we had.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Shearer wouldn't have to contemplate playing left wing because he'd have cemented his place up front. Comparing the two is silly. Besides, I'd assume Shearer would do a lot better than Antonsson wherever they both played on the pitch. The two are chalk and cheese.

This is very true. Smallwood has been off the boil for some time now. Where has the tough tackling no nonsense player from the first ~20 games gone? He almost seems scared to put himself about now. He had an excuse with an impending suspension but that's over now - do your bloody job!

I thought Dack looked one of our better players. In all honesty it was a poor performance all round, even by the ever reliable Mulgrew. We lacked edge in the first half and any real quality would have saw Peterborough put to the sword in the opening 15

Ok,  Shearer was a bad example. Lets say Shefki Kuqi :) 

My general point was that we need a natural winger 

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

To be balanced - Antonsson did have a period during the season where he looked half decent, scored goals and was looking a permanent fixture in the team. Similarly Armstrong had a more recent period where he has looked half decent and had a run of goals. However - last night both were poor - and I would argue that Armstrong gave away the ball more than Antonsson. Looking at the team as a whole - Antonsson adds height which we do lack at times - but personally prefer Armstrong's pace.

He's never looked half decent in my book. He was only getting in the side because he got into the box and scored a few goals. His all round play  is non existent. If you put Shearer out on the right wing you'd see the best crosser of a ball at the club, left wing would be another story.

• Backroom

Antonsson really wound me up last night at one point he waited for a ball that got cut out so he stood with his head down in the box.

Meanwhile Graham is looking to take a quick throw to him whilst he’s unmarked but Antonsson never got his head up 

I've just read this thread. Pages 12-26 were a joy to read. Football fans summed up.

4 points needed from 3 games. Should be doable for a team that has only lost 1 in 30. It's not done yet but unlike the fans the team will  be confident.

It would be a lot closer if Wigan hadn't pegged it back to 2-2 at Ewood.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

In many respects last night mirrored the game at London Road in December. A poor first half from us, second best, going a goal down and pretty much winning the game with a 25 minute spell when our match winners came alive. The tempo seemed to increase during that period and, as we have seen many times this season we can blow teams away who simply struggle to handle the pace. The sedentary pace of the first half makes us easy to play against and allows opponents to close us down and we get caught in possession or hurry our passes. I would love to see that tempo for 70 minutes and then we could really batter some teams.

We seem to have played half a game all season don't we? Wigan game a great example but the other way round ie great first half, rubbish second. Hardly ever put an opponent under the cosh as Wigan have, but have enough individual skill and great team spirit to do enough----usually!

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Antonsson really wound me up last night at one point he waited for a ball that got cut out so he stood with his head down in the box.

Meanwhile Graham is looking to take a quick throw to him whilst he’s unmarked but Antonsson never got his head up 

Totally agree there was one move where Williams is running with the ball just past the dugouts wanting Antonsson to sprint so that he can play the ball in behind the defender opening up Peterbrough's defence yet he just stayed where he was forcing Wilaims to look for another option.

When Antonsson was subbed the crowd seemed to cheer then when Samuel came on as a replacement the crowd seemed to go flat for several minutes.

Not sure why Whittingham wasn't brought on sooner. Would have seemed more logical to make the change at 1-1 though possible it was about to happen before the 2nd goal. Reminded me of Lowe being kept on at Wolves last season yet he was taken off against Villa. Should sell Evans in the summer and will probably get some money for him since he's an "international".

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Indeed, it was and I know that you know!

I am really enjoying these moments, but I cannot forget that promotion would only mean reaching the very level that caused so much rightful anger rage back in 2012.

I guess it must have taken hundreds of years to build build the ancient artefacts in Palmyra, but Isis destroyed them in a matter of days.

The parallels do not need to be laboured!

You've got me wondering now Leonard----who would be the worst owners, Venkys or IS? 

On a serious matter, if we spend next season struggling in the lower reaches of the Championship, we will be asking what the point of this season was.

Fund TM or sell!

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I notice Chaddy has deleted his post saying Williams had a good game. First half I stand by my comment last night that it’s one of the worst LB performances I have seen in a Rovers shirt. Second half he improved in an attacking sense but so did the whole team. Bell needs a run regardless.

Not deleted anything. 

I stand by my comment saying he had a good game

3 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

You have to be joking? Williams did not play that badly, down the left first half was our main threat and he got an assist. 

Agreed. 

Thats where the space was all game

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok,  Shearer was a bad example. Lets say Shefki Kuqi :) 

My general point was that we need a natural winger 

Speaking of kuqi he's been linked with the Ipswich job. I shall enjoy watching Ipswich and arsenals demise next season. 

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, JAL said:

Totally agree there was one move where Williams is running with the ball just past the dugouts wanting Antonsson to sprint so that he can play the ball in behind the defender opening up Peterbrough's defence yet he just stayed where he was forcing Wilaims to look for another option.

When Antonsson was subbed the crowd seemed to cheer then when Samuel came on as a replacement the crowd seemed to go flat for several minutes.

Samuel did his job really well last night, really helped the team 

Archived