BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

9 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Yes but the business end of the season is January onward so any signing now needs to be ready to hit the ground running, especially if he is bought in to be a "better than we have" replacement.

How many Foreign players new to the English leagues signed in January have pushed a team from mid table to Play-Offs/Europe?

When did Wolves sign their Portuguese lot? 

5 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He didn't say that he wasn't searching the foreign market full stop, just that the January window is not the one he would want to use to bring in foreign players.  I assume he means that a summer signing gives the player time to adjust to a move to a new country and a pre-season to adjust to English football.  From previous interviews, he has talked about scouting across Europe for the right players.  The fact that we have brought a Lithuanian player into the Academy set-up, one who has attracted a lot of attention from top flight clubs, suggests that we are looking abroad for players. 

How many foreign market players did we sign in the summer? I’d say it’s a fair claim to suggest it’s not a market he is interested in. Why limit ourselves, if they are good enough they are ready. 

Mowbray is just a ditherer when it comes to playing new players, we wouldn’t even have Travis playing had it not been for smallwoods suspension. Even reed had to wait. Brereton..... list goes on 

36 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Sheffield Utd, Boro and Derby are doing alright.

Sheff Utd il give you but haven’t achieved anything yet, boro have been number 1 for foreign market for years, karanka had loads. Pauli’s is maybe a different animal but it’s the weakest boro team iv known in years. Derby are only up there due to some favourable loans with the lampard appeal, unfortunately Tony doesn’t quite have the same appeal. We are fighting with one arm tied behind our back if you ask me 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Yes but the business end of the season is January onward so any signing now needs to be ready to hit the ground running, especially if he is bought in to be a "better than we have" replacement.

How many Foreign players new to the English leagues signed in January have pushed a team from mid table to Play-Offs/Europe?

But Mowbray has talked about building a team for the long term so it does seem to be a rather short term attitude to be saying he won't sign someone from abroad because he may take a couple months to adapt. We aren't good enough to go up and we aren't going to go down, really we should already be starting to plan for next season. If the right player from abroad is available bring him in now he can adapt a new league, integrate with his new team mates, settle into a new country and learn the language if needed. Why would you not bring him in now so he can do all of the following and by August he will be ready for a new season. Whereas if you don't bring him in until July he will have about a month to have adapted before the start of the season. For me it's an illogical argument from Mowbray.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He didn't say that he wasn't searching the foreign market full stop, just that the January window is not the one he would want to use to bring in foreign players.  I assume he means that a summer signing gives the player time to adjust to a move to a new country and a pre-season to adjust to English football.  From previous interviews, he has talked about scouting across Europe for the right players.  The fact that we have brought a Lithuanian player into the Academy set-up, one who has attracted a lot of attention from top flight clubs, suggests that we are looking abroad for players. 

See I think it's the perfect time to bring in a foreign player, especially for us. Sign the player now give them 6 months to settle in the country before the start of next season when they can make an impact. It may take time for a player to adapt to the football in particular. Its hard to criticise Mowbray as we don;t know the quality of players from Europe that are being offered to us. It did sound to me like he had ruled out that option for this window which might be a little short sighted.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

“Sign players ready for the first team!”

”Brereton is a shit player because he’s one for the future!”

”Sign players for the future!”

The goalposts move so much on here Chris Brown could score.

But not Brezza though...?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But Mowbray has talked about building a team for the long term so it does seem to be a rather short term attitude to be saying he won't sign someone from abroad because he may take a couple months to adapt. We aren't good enough to go up and we aren't going to go down, really we should already be starting to plan for next season. If the right player from abroad is available bring him in now he can adapt a new league, integrate with his new team mates, settle into a new country and learn the language if needed. Why would you not bring him in now so he can do all of the following and by August he will be ready for a new season. Whereas if you don't bring him in until July he will have about a month to have adapted before the start of the season. For me it's an illogical argument from Mowbray.

Sometimes the mix of British winter weather, family not coming over straight away, not playing (or worse playing poorly) mixed with all the other issues of a new country can turn a player homesick very quickly. No manager wants to be dealing with that when he is pushing for a positive end of the season. Add that to the fact January signings are inflated in fees no matter what country they are from unless the selling club wants/needs to get rid, its no wonder British managers are reluctant to enter the Foreign market in January unless an unbelievable opportunity becomes available.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

“Sign players ready for the first team!”

”Brereton is a shit player because he’s one for the future!”

”Sign players for the future!”

The goalposts move so much on here Chris Brown could score.

I think we would have all been happy if Brereton was better, he was surely brought in to be the main man it just turns out he’s not been very good regardless of age.

Theres a difference in scouting around for talent for the future and splashing £7m on someone who can’t get ahead of the lad we signed on a free after a stint in Scotland last summer 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Sometimes the mix of British winter weather, family not coming over straight away, not playing (or worse playing poorly) mixed with all the other issues of a new country can turn a player homesick very quickly.

But you could sign him in July and all the same problems could still apply. Also you could sign someone from the south of England and have similar issues or indeed Scottish players (Barry Ferguson). Very strange comments from Mowbray in my opinion.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Sometimes the mix of British winter weather, family not coming over straight away, not playing (or worse playing poorly) mixed with all the other issues of a new country can turn a player homesick very quickly. No manager wants to be dealing with that when he is pushing for a positive end of the season. Add that to the fact January signings are inflated in fees no matter what country they are from unless the selling club wants/needs to get rid, its no wonder British managers are reluctant to enter the Foreign market in January unless an unbelievable opportunity becomes available.

Sorry but we can’t deal with what ifs, I’d say a player comes over here should be aware what it’s all about, and who is to say he would be coming from a country that’s very different from our own, for example a Scandinavian player. Arguments against are getting more and more outlandish. Don’t think there is much to defend, it’s not ambitious to state on record we won’t be buying any foreign players in January. Why even say that? It’s screams of excuses for no new players this month. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think you might want to blow him off a tiny bit. He is quite rugged so no judgement here. 

But I get your point. Mowbray will hopefully be looking to get someone who is better than every other CH at the club.

Sod off....I can do better than Downing (suddenly wondering if his surname is a euphemism).

Anyway the problem is Mowbray basically came out and said he is doing no such thing. We do need a better centre half though.

The more British players we as local football clubs produce and blood the better even if the bullet has to be bitten in terms of the quality being a bit lower to start with and more soldiers than artists. It's the only way to boost the national team in the future as the number of foreign players blocking paths and watering it all down had got ridiculous but the more clubs that do it at championship level then the more are in the same boat so the playing field is more even.

Nice to add a touch of foreign flair where and wen you can if it's affordable but punting on your Formicas and Rochinas and that other youtube sourced guy needs leaving alone as well as those brought in under Bowyer and Singh before him.  Loan for 6 months first fair enough or if possible source young foreign under 23 talent and get them in the development squad to see if they can hack it first.

No harm in keeping an eye on the Scandinavian markets and Ireland also i'm amazed more second tier English clubs don't scour lower down the German and Dutch leagues etc.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think we would have all been happy if Brereton was better, he was surely brought in to be the main man it just turns out he’s not been very good regardless of age.

Theres a difference in scouting around for talent for the future and splashing £7m on someone who can’t get ahead of the lad we signed on a free after a stint in Scotland last summer 

It’s the sudden finding of patience that is confusing for me, well - if they are foreign

56 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But you could sign him in July and all the same problems could still apply. Also you could sign someone from the south of England and have similar issues or indeed Scottish players (Barry Ferguson). Very strange comments from Mowbray in my opinion.

Indeed, but managers look to minimise risks as much as they can. Players in the UK know the weather so that's a potential risk minimised, Family are a car journey away so again minimised. Managers don't take risks unless they need to, Mowbray at this point doesn't need to.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sorry but we can’t deal with what ifs, I’d say a player comes over here should be aware what it’s all about, and who is to say he would be coming from a country that’s very different from our own, for example a Scandinavian player. Arguments against are getting more and more outlandish. Don’t think there is much to defend, it’s not ambitious to state on record we won’t be buying any foreign players in January. Why even say that? It’s screams of excuses for no new players this month. 

Sorry but you start this post with an oxymoron as you are complaining about ifs but are complaining about if we sign a player this month or not. Nobody is arguing against signings just that some are more content to let Mowbray do it the way he seemingly wants, after all he has not given us any reason to worry so far. The team is progressing, which is more than it has done in the previous 6 years. Be happy relax and enjoy it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Indeed, but managers look to minimise risks as much as they can. Players in the UK know the weather so that's a potential risk minimised, Family are a car journey away so again minimised. Managers don't take risks unless they need to, Mowbray at this point doesn't need to.

Come on you aren't seriously saying that wouldn't sign a player from abroad because of the British weather?  Thank goodness Hughes didn't take that approach when signing the likes of Samba, Mokoena or Nelsen, or indeed Allardyce when he signed Givet. Perhaps we shouldn't sign players from south of Birmingham as it might get a bit cold for them further up the country.

As for being a car journey away there is such a thing as a plane if a player lives in the south east of England it would probably take him as long to get down there by car (with the M6 and M25 these days) than it would be to get a flight to say France or Germany.

Also you say 'Managers don't take risks unless they need to, Mowbray at this point doesn't need to' if that's the case then how do you explain Brereton?

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Come on you aren't seriously saying that wouldn't sign a player from abroad because of the British weather?  Thank goodness Hughes didn't take that approach when signing the likes of Samba, Mokoena or Nelsen, or indeed Allardyce when he signed Givet. Perhaps we shouldn't sign players from south of Birmingham as it might get a bit cold for them further up the country.

As for being a car journey away there is such a thing as a plane if a player lives in the south east of England it would probably take him as long to get down there by car (with the M6 and M25 these days) than it would be to get a flight to say France or Germany.

Also you say 'Managers don't take risks unless they need to, Mowbray at this point doesn't need to' if that's the case then how do you explain Brereton?

If the players were of greater quality than what was at his disposal and was available for a good price and the player was set on the club of course they would sign any player in those circumstances, but like he states, it's unlikley. But pushing through a transfer when those elements are not met then why rush it?

The weather is not a single thing like you try to paint it, but a combination of all the things involved in making a move abroad seem bigger than they are thus causing an issue far sooner than if 1 or more could be avoided as soon as they arrive.

As for Brereton, he has hardly been given a chance to show what he is capable of and Graham has not exactly deserved dropping to give him a chance. Heaven forbid a player that has started less than a handful of games weeks apart is not firing on all cylinders. He is a teenager and to write him off at this stage is unbelievably naive

Edited by Spankus Munky

2 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

As for Brereton, he has hardly been given a chance to show what he is capable of and Graham has not exactly deserved dropping to give him a chance. Heaven forbid a player that has started less than a handful of games weeks apart is not firing on all cylinders. He is a teenager and to write him off at this stage is unbelievably naive

Nuttall has hardly had a huge amount of opportunities either but he's shown in the last two league games that he is capable of making a positive impact on the team something Brereton has failed to do despite having more game time. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Nuttall has hardly had a huge amount of opportunities either but he's shown in the last two league games that he is capable of making a positive impact on the team something Brereton has failed to do despite having more game time. 

Nuttall has been a regular fixture in the U23's getting regular starts that Ben hasn't had.  He is fitter and sharper as a result. Put Joe on our bench for 5 months with a handful of cameos and see how much influence he has.

2 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Nuttall has been a regular fixture in the U23's getting regular starts that Ben hasn't had.  He is fitter and sharper as a result. Put Joe on our bench for 5 months with a handful of cameos and see how much influence he has.

You seem to be in the defend mowbray and his decisions no matter what. Do you not want us to improve and have ambition. Can you honestly say that we have played well in more than a handful of games this year, what style is mowbray stamping on the team. Why have we conceded far too many late goals. Why has he never really strengthened our defence in 2-3 transfer windows, being a defender himself you would think he would know what to look for 

Sorry but there is a target on his back and he needs to come up with answers, just plodding along doesn’t sit right with me and a few others on here. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You seem to be in the defend mowbray and his decisions no matter what. Do you not want us to improve and have ambition. Can you honestly say that we have played well in more than a handful of games this year, what style is mowbray stamping on the team. Why have we conceded far too many late goals. Why has he never really strengthened our defence in 2-3 transfer windows, being a defender himself you would think he would know what to look for 

Sorry but there is a target on his back and he needs to come up with answers, just plodding along doesn’t sit right with me and a few others on here. 

We are improving as evidenced by our position in the table, are you claiming we are not? ?

The ambition is to be a Championship team who can be in with a shout against anybody in this division and improve year on year... So far so good.

We are a work in progress and sorry but progress is what we are making, it might not be fast enough for some but then you cant please all of the people all of the time.

Mowbray has done more for our Club than anyone since Uncle Jack, not just the team.  He has had to deal with a Club in turmoil from root to tip. Is he perfect? no, Has he made mistakes in my opinion? Yes, Travis not being involved more since last season being one, but you know what? he is doing a fine job. i'd rather the progress be organic and natural than forced and rushed for it to all crumble down.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’ve certainly noticed. It’s odd.

And whilst he is not above reproach it seems some are looking for every possible reason to criticise the man who has made massive strides for the club in his time here. I’ve seen people deny he’s even made a difference or has only just met expectations. I disagree.

I’ve seen complaints about the “Mowbray fan club” who think he can do no wrong.

I’ve always tried to be balanced and have no trouble criticising when it is due - but when debating with people who seem to have it in for him and have put a “target on his back” it’s natural to come across as defensive!

We could be 3 points off the playoffs this time tomorrow lads.

• Like 4