BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You are forgetting Souness and Hughes

Sorry but I said Club not Team, Hughes and Souness had a good structure at boardroom level allowing them to focus on the team. Mowbray has had nothing like that and had to do it all himself at points, something that nobody else has managed to do. I have huge respect for what Hughes & Souness achieved with our squad but what Mowbray has had to deal with is above and beyond in my opinion.

Edited by Spankus Munky
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

We are improving as evidenced by our position in the table, are you claiming we are not? ?

The ambition is to be a Championship team who can be in with a shout against anybody in this division and improve year on year... So far so good.

We are a work in progress and sorry but progress is what we are making, it might not be fast enough for some but then you cant please all of the people all of the time.

Mowbray has done more for our Club than anyone since Uncle Jack, not just the team.  He has had to deal with a Club in turmoil from root to tip. Is he perfect? no, Has he made mistakes in my opinion? Yes, Travis not being involved more since last season being one, but you know what? he is doing a fine job. i'd rather the progress be organic and natural than forced and rushed for it to all crumble down.

Progress from what? Coyle? Wouldn’t be hard. Yet we are in the same if not worse position than when bowyer had us- another I didn’t rate. Has our team play improved under mowbray? Has our defence? I’m not seeing it, watching us play is a struggle. We can grind out results but will only take us so far, much more dominance and flair needed. Am I a harsh critic? Absolutely. But I want the best from my team, I make no apologies for that. 

Signings? Has he done well with the budget available? Again there is a target there. Every manager in Britain puts himself in that position, fans have every right to question. 

I disagree with just about everything you say to be honest 

14 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Progress from what? Coyle? Wouldn’t be hard. Yet we are in the same if not worse position than when bowyer had us- another I didn’t rate. Has our team play improved under mowbray? Has our defence? I’m not seeing it, watching us play is a struggle. We can grind out results but will only take us so far, much more dominance and flair needed. Am I a harsh critic? Absolutely. But I want the best from my team, I make no apologies for that. 

Signings? Has he done well with the budget available? Again there is a target there. Every manager in Britain puts himself in that position, fans have every right to question. 

So anything less than promotion from the championship with a team who were in L1 last season, would be unacceptable?

Did Bowyer have us in a better position...?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

It's about balance, you cant expect this squad to run the league. 6 months ago they were playing in League 1 some players had never played in the Championship but you want them strutting the division like Man City do the Prem. We are in with a shout of the top 6 as it stands, if you had been offered that 18 months ago you would have snapped it up. That is progress by definition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spankus Munky said:

Sorry but I said Club not Team, Hughes and Souness had a good structure at boardroom level allowing them to focus on the team. Mowbray has had nothing like that and had to do it all himself at points, something that nobody else has managed to do. I have huge respect for what Hughes & Souness achieved with our squad but what Mowbray has had to deal with is above and beyond in my opinion.

You obviously forget where we were when Souness took over.

56 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

6 months ago they were playing in League 1 some players had never played in the Championship but you want them strutting the division like Man City do the Prem. 

The vast majority of our squad had played Championship football, if there is one thing that our side doesn't lack it's experience. The only regular starter this season that hadn't played at this level before is Dack and he is probably our best player. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The vast majority of our squad had played Championship football, if there is one thing that our side doesn't lack it's experience. The only regular starter this season that hadn't played at this level before is Dack and he is probably our best player. 

Exactly. They were relegated. How have we not improved???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We may aswell close the forum if we have that attitude.

Coyle and Kean spent years and years in professional football but I presume you didnt use the same defence of them?

Performance in training is irrelevant, Gladwin and Brereton are 2 Mowbray signings that have been the best player in training but judgement is solely based on how players do on the pitch, not in training.

Do you really believe that Gladwin and Brereton are best players in trainings?

11 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Obviously this a forum for debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, some seem to genuinely believe that they know better than a man who has spent around 40 years in professional football, has largely compiled the squad and sees the players in training every day. Astonishing.

Has he? I thought that was Bowyer, Lambert and Coyle. Mowbray has brought in Dack and Reed, and promoted Travis, eventually. The rest of his compilation he doesn’t believe are good enough.

This “back the manager no matter what he does” what has been popular on here ever since Venkys shut down the official board and the radio station.

P.S. Mowbray has spend 36 years in professional football, just 3 years more that Coyle.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, we got Samba, Nzonzi and Givet from low level foreign football clubs.

Agreed on the first 2, but Givet was a CL finalist from Monaco!

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not searching the foreign market, astonishing. Teams that have made it up with solely British players the last few years are few and far between, only one I can really recall is Burnley and Newcastle was largely British- all be it they paid top dollar for that, a budget we have nowhere near. 

Norwich and Leeds are flying with a vast sprinkling of cheap foreign talent. In my opinion the best defender is the league is Pontus jansson, cheap Scandinavian market purchase. 

Why we wouldn’t utilise this market annoys me greatly. 

No wonder we aren’t getting anyone, we have ruled out abroad, or lower leagues so we are shopping in champ and prem which is well known to be inflated, when we have next to no budget having already blown a wad on brereton from this market and isn’t ready- as he stated he wants.

my scepticism on mowbrays vision is increasing by the day 

I've said it before but the answer could be that was what the financial report commissioned by Venkys in the summer recommended.

The seem the type to follow it to the letter not having a worthwhile view of their own  ie "confused".

2 hours ago, Spankus Munky said:

It's about balance, you cant expect this squad to run the league. 6 months ago they were playing in League 1 some players had never played in the Championship but you want them strutting the division like Man City do the Prem. We are in with a shout of the top 6 as it stands, if you had been offered that 18 months ago you would have snapped it up. That is progress by definition.

Massive hyperbole there. Are you on the wind-up?

Just now, Spankus Munky said:

Are you? Do you know what Hyperbole means? if so expand on the exact points you believe are Hyperbole...

OK---who on this message -board said they wanted us to be strutting the division like Man City do the Premiership?

And "yes'  I know what hyperbole means. I've seen plenty of it on here for a start. And that's another example.

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Has he? I thought that was Bowyer, Lambert and Coyle. Mowbray has brought in Dack and Reed, and promoted Travis, eventually. The rest of his compilation he doesn’t believe are good enough.

This “back the manager no matter what he does” what has been popular on here ever since Venkys shut down the official board and the radio station.

P.S. Mowbray has spend 36 years in professional football, just 3 years more that Coyle.

The current manager has had control and moulded the squad to his requirements since February of 2017 and therefore is more cogent of strengths, weakness and requirements than you.

This "slate the manager no matter what" has been popular on here unfathomable reason. I can only presume that self flagellation is popular with some.

I did say around 40 years. For most people 36 years is around  40 years but don't let that stop you from conflating Coyle with Mowbray.

29 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've said it before but the answer could be that was what the financial report commissioned by Venkys in the summer recommended.

The seem the type to follow it to the letter not having a worthwhile view of their own  ie "confused".

That’s big business.

It’s not the football business mind, but I can kind of understand the line of thinking.

Might sound crazy - but I’d rather they make decisions on financial advice rather than via the type of advisors they’ve had in the past...

Edited by S8 & Blue

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

OK---who on this message -board said they wanted us to be strutting the division like Man City do the Premiership?

And "yes'  I know what hyperbole means. I've seen plenty of it on here for a start. And that's another example.

Maybe if you read the quoted message in the reply you quoted you know the "We can grind out results but will only take us so far, much more dominance and flair needed" part

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Yes, the vast majority have played Championship football. The vast majority have also been part of a team that got relegated from this league 2 years ago! 

• Like 3

Just now, Spankus Munky said:

Maybe if you read the quoted message in the reply you quoted you know the "We can grind out results but will only take us so far, much more dominance and flair needed" part

And to jump from there to claiming some expect us to be "strutting the division like Man City do the Premiership" is not hyperbole?!!!  :lol:

• Backroom
Just now, J*B said:

There's a star, man,

Playing on the right,

He's gonna sign for Rovers,

He's at Stanley House tonight.

Don’t you start getting me excited now 

4 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

The current manager has had control and moulded the squad to his requirements since February of 2017 and therefore is more cogent of strengths, weakness and requirements than you.

This "slate the manager no matter what" has been popular on here unfathomable reason. I can only presume that self flagellation is popular with some.

I did say around 40 years. For most people 36 years is around  40 years but don't let that stop you from conflating Coyle with Mowbray.

The point is length of time in football doesn’t automatically make someone a good (or bad) manager. Due to the old boys network it’s largely irrelevant.

It’s as though you are just looking for ways to shut down any negative opinion about him. Guess what Mowbray has more experience in professional football than most Rovers fans. That doesn’t give him a free pass or mean he can’t be questioned.

Him sending out three defenders on loan with no apparent plans (or even reason) to bring one in - is one example. It’s not about slating the manager, it’s about being unhappy with some of his decision making. His team selection away to Charlton being another.