BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

4 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

What happened to you man? You used to be cool.

Been on here too long. And to be fair you did ask a closed question that I was obviously going to disagree with because I'd already done so 2 minutes earlier. 

I like TM, he's done a great deal for our club, I just don't buy the 'man of integrity' piffle. He will do as every other manager does and change the facts to suit his current predicament. Human nature I guess. Lets not make him out to be Mother Theresa (who incidentally could be a right gobshyte when she's had too much coke)

And I'm so cool it hurts. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray said the total opposite at the end of August after buying BB. He said 'if the money is there let's spend it'. 

He'll say whatever suits his needs at a particular time. Man of integrity though:rolleyes:

Yeah but with respect there's no need to be throwing away money unnecessarily. Is Assombalonga worth 50k p/w? Is Austin worth £10m? Is Gallagher even that good? Is Brereton worth £7m.......oh.

I hope he's had his fingers burnt regarding Brereton and is now much more considerate about the money that is there to spend. 

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Really? Correct me if I’m wrong because it is based on very little actual knowledge...

But I was under the impression he’s pretty shit?

Watched a lot of him thanks pal. Won the prem a couple of years ago. Lots of international experience, only 30. Very good signing at championship level.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think you're getting your terminology somewhat mixed up there, a sense of entitlement means taking success for granted and expecting it as of right.

I haven't seen a single person express the view that we SHOULD be romping away with the division. Nevertheless, now that an opportunity had unexpectedly presented itself I can't see anything wrong at all with most supporters wanting to boost the squad to try and capitalise on that opportunity. In fact on the contrary I find it extremely odd that some fans seem pleased we haven't been able to bring anyone else in.

A sense of entitlement - if you don’t get what you want you complain. The problem is the expectancy is ridiculous too - just read through the thread. There are an embarrassing amount of short sighted comments - many in frustration to not signing a player who cost twice what our record signing was, and probably earns more than Dack and Mulgrew combined.

I find someone who constantly complains about Graham/Bennett extremely odd since we are at it.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Everything is beyond you (see what i did there?)

As pointless as ever. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Says the man who has spent the last few months doing little else on here but defending the obscene amount of money spent on a 19 yo lad who can't get a game. 

Precisely - I mean such a lack of ambition to go spend a big chunk of our turnover and invest money on our squad eh? 

Reality is though Blueboy - if you’ve decided already that money is wasted, bloated or as you call it “obscene” ( a few rising to 7m in 2019!!), then I suggest your expectations of a 19 year old lad with 1 league start are misguided.

Bit different for you though, because Brereton is the stone you grind your “I never rated Tony” axe with. Flex round that. 

32 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

You gamble either way. Build slowly risk your best players leaving and not being able to replace them.

Push the boat out and miss by a small margin and have to find money the season after to balance the books.

A lot of posters aren't worried for no reason. We've been in this position with bowyer with a better team. Then missed out and everyone was sold.

I'm more in the camp get up as quickly as possible in the hope better owners will offer silly money to ditch these clowns and we have genuine stability again. What we have now is a mirage.

See that makes little sense Tom.

You’re talking about this being our main way into new ownership, yet the only way we could spend such figures is by borrowing our current incumbents money! That’s more reason for them to keep us from certain perspectives.

To give some scope too, playing staff total wages at the minute (approx) are less than 250k a week. Villa, Stoke, and WBA are nearer to 1m a week.

Youre advocating an attempt this season via gambling transfer fees and wages but then suggesting if we stay in this league we lose our better players.

What do you think stacking up wages will do to that process if you aren’t one of the 3 promoted (from how many challenging)? Accelerate it.

If you can only see the pro’s of that, and not the potential cons - May I suggest you look at rovers business post relegation and then the eye watering figures we ended up losing (or owe the owners).

Being FORCED to sell really does change your options!

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Precisely - I mean such a lack of ambition to go spend a big chunk of our turnover and invest money on our squad eh? 

Reality is though Blueboy - if you’ve decided already that money is wasted, bloated or as you call it “obscene” ( a few rising to 7m in 2019!!), then I suggest your expectations of a 19 year old lad with 1 league start are misguided.

Bit different for you though, because Brereton is the stone you grind your “I never rated Tony” axe with. Flex round that. 

To return you to the point (tricky for you I know) but you said you were against gambling financially, yet you've been defending the signing of a 19yo for obscene money who can't get a game. Now you're saying BB was ambition but signing someone different for a lot of money would be gambling. 

It's almost as if your flip-flopping just so you can be contrary. I can't believe that of you Biz?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seems we over paid? How can you judge until.he is played some games back to back. 

Mowbray isnt worried cos he trust his judgement. And tbh so some the fans. 

Surely you should be trusting TM more------he doesn't believe Brereton can be risked playing games back to back. On the basis of Brereton's performances thus far I trust his judgement on this completely.

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

To return you to the point (tricky for you I know) but you said you were against gambling financially, yet you've been defending the signing of a 19yo for obscene money who can't get a game. Now you're saying BB was ambition but signing someone different for a lot of money would be gambling. 

It's almost as if your flip-flopping just so you can be contrary. I can't believe that of you Biz?

Different gamble between a structured deal for a 19 year old and trying to take Boro’s record signing and fitting him into our wage structure. You know that, I know that. Try again.

We also both know there would be no Brereton if the club or recruitment showed (as many are saying) no ambition at all. 

I personally think writing BB off at this point is almost as stupid as Revidges anti-Graham tirades, but that’s just me.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Just an observation Chaddy. You posted after that LT article went up. I doubt I’ve ever got to a Rovers article before you.

Start posting your own opinions instead of searching for the “right answer” (i.e. the incumbent manager opinion) and we’ll have proper debates.

Well you were wrong.

I seen the LT article after Rich Sharpe posted it on twitter. 

So an apology would be nice but I wont hold out for one

4 minutes ago, Biz said:

Different gamble between a structured deal for a 19 year old and trying to take Boro’s record signing and fitting him into our wage structure. You know that, I know that. Try again.

We also both know there would be no Brereton if the club or recruitment showed (as many are saying) no ambition at all. 

I personally think writing BB off at this point is almost as stupid as Revidges anti-Graham tirades, but that’s just me.

Paying 7m for just anybody isn't ambition. It's stupidity. Also as I've seen him play and he's shyte so its nothing like Revs anti Graham rants. Try again. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Maybe an upside of not spending money now is that it will be available in summer to put towards Reed on a permanent (if he wants to come).

Unfortunately such logic is generally beyond our esteemed owners. When big money appears it tends to come out of nowhere being spent on a player that's completely out of left field. 

We needed a back up striker for Graham at the very least in this window. Even if it wasn't big money. Nuttall has had a few good games but overall limited ability, Brereton is clearly not ready and Tony doesn't even seem to see him as a striker, Dack's impact is quite obviously blunted when playing CF. Despite scoring a few goals recently Mowbray seems to see AA as a left winger/inside forward. Very disappointing to have not strengthened in this area. Samuel will be back soon but he really isn't that good either, and he's still going to need time to get back to match fitness. I doubt we'll see much of him this season at all.

Otherwise I think we're OK to finish mid-table this season. A top six push was feasible but only with a couple of ambitious additions to the squad, which we seem unwilling to do at the present time. I'd say with the current squad (and barring a serious injury to Graham or Dack) we're good for a finish between 8th - 15th. We've been on a good run as of late but I think it's unrealistic to expect this team to finish top six.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Watched a lot of him thanks pal. Won the prem a couple of years ago. Lots of international experience, only 30. Very good signing at championship level.

Fair dos, I just thought he was of the Danny Simpson level of PL winner. We’ll see how he gets on!

• Like 1

Now the window is closed we can get back to football.  Personally, and I know many on here will disagree, I think this window has more or less fitted in with what we were told at the consultation meeting in the summer.  Both Mowbray and Waggott said they had told the owners that throwing money at it was not the way to go.  That it had to be a gradual process in which the foundations were built on in a progressive way.  That seems to be the approach we have adopted.  I'm sure if he could have got Gallagher on loan he would - but Southampton didn't want to release him which is fair enough.

We only have to look at Brereton to see how every deal is a gamble.  Hopefully, the lad will come good given time - although personally I have my doubts.

The January window is never the best for serious transfer business because fees become inflated as panic sets in.  As it is both Travis and Nuttall now have the opportunity to show they are capable of holding down a place in the team/squad over the long term. 

The time to judge the strategy that the club is following is in a couple of years time, not just a few months into it.  Mowbray and Waggott seem to have a good relationship with Mr. & Mrs. Desai and from what they say it would appear that the two brothers are not really involved now.  I'm more than happy that we are now moving in the right direction with the right management/admin teams in place.  If we finish outside the play-offs, which I've always thought we would, a mid-table finish would be perfectly acceptable and give us a platform on which to build. 

• Like 3

I really don't know what to make of Mowbray's latest comments on the transfer window. Time after time after time we hear from club employees about how the owners were prepared to do this, that and the other but for a variety of reasons didn't.

If it is true then it is a very strange situation in which we have wealthy owners keen to invest into the squad and yet a manager who is so keen to 'protect' them that he refuses to spend the money. That cannot be common in professional football, where most managers would eagerly accept whatever money was available to give them the best possible chance of improving the squad. Mowbray may think the owners will be impressed that he isn't going to waste their money for the sake of it but the flip side of that argument is that if we don't get promoted in the near future the owners may lose patience and in their desire to access the Premier League riches question why their manager hasn't taken up their offer of funding and delivered a higher league finish.

The alternative of course is that it isn't true and that it is very easy and cheap to claim the owners were prepared to spend, but actually going out and spending it is another matter entirely. It seems to be a running theme of their ownership that they are keen to invest and won't refuse to fund the club and yet at the end of the day it is quite rare that significant cash is actually spent. Positive PR exercise for the owners?

I'm afraid I'm still concerned that we've gone into this window with targets in mind that were seemingly never realistic given the money demanded. Probably haven't done our homework as it should be clear in advance whether deals are do-able and if we're miles away from what clubs and players are asking for then those targets should never have been targets.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Paying 7m for just anybody isn't ambition. It's stupidity. Also as I've seen him play and he's shyte so its nothing like Revs anti Graham rants. Try again. 

You’ve seen him come off the bench for a handful of appearances and that’s it? 19 year old not worth it, sack him? 

Thank Christ you aren’t involved in our academy. 

I know that figure is the perfect excuse to expect another Rhodes - but the reality is completely different. Football has moved on even in that time. 

I actually thought you talked a lot of sense about football but your take on Brereton and our transfer business is so transparent that I am embarrassed for you. 

(@Paul Mellelieu will be ripping his own hair out)

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I really don't know what to make of Mowbray's latest comments on the transfer window. Time after time after time we hear from club employees about how the owners were prepared to do this, that and the other but for a variety of reasons didn't.

If it is true then it is a very strange situation in which we have wealthy owners keen to invest into the squad and yet a manager who is so keen to 'protect' them that he refuses to spend the money. That cannot be common in professional football, where most managers would eagerly accept whatever money was available to give them the best possible chance of improving the squad. Mowbray may think the owners will be impressed that he isn't going to waste their money for the sake of it but the flip side of that argument is that if we don't get promoted in the near future the owners may lose patience and in their desire to access the Premier League riches question why their manager hasn't taken up their offer of funding and delivered a higher league finish.

The alternative of course is that it isn't true and that it is very easy and cheap to claim the owners were prepared to spend, but actually going out and spending it is another matter entirely. It seems to be a running theme of their ownership that they are keen to invest and won't refuse to fund the club and yet at the end of the day it is quite rare that significant cash is actually spent. Positive PR exercise for the owners?

I'm afraid I'm still concerned that we've gone into this window with targets in mind that were seemingly never realistic given the money demanded. Probably haven't done our homework as it should be clear in advance whether deals are do-able and if we're miles away from what clubs and players are asking for then those targets should never have been targets.

All that would be great JHR if he hadn’t actually said we couldn’t afford the players we wanted!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biz said:

I agree.

Others won’t though, your narrative doesn’t suit a vision of an unambitous club and manager who cannot recruit. How others can say that in the face of us reportedly spending 10m+ in our return to the championship and developing a competitive squad that’s not doing to badly in the league.. beyond me.

Sorry @K-Hod - I’m not quoting them all, but this thread is an embarrassing example of the over entitlement of modern football support! 

Why all the angst in every post about the inadequacies of your fellow fans Biz? You usually tell us off when we posit anything you can construe as "conspiracy theory".

Yet you cannot accept what the majority have seen with their own eyes--namely that Brereton has shown nothing to suggest he's going to be the striker we all hoped for when we committed £7M. Yes, he's 19---so what? Plenty of 19 year olds are playing regularly for their clubs. Yes, he hasn't had back to back starts---that's because TM knows better than to pick him.

The strangest transfer I can ever remember at Rovers and yes, the size of the fee is relevant to that view. We've signed flops before but usually haven't paid much. 2 exceptions and both signed for £7M(!)---Davies and Grabbi! Both way better than this one. Davies should have worked out better and did when he left so I didn't see that buy as extraordinarily bad, it just didn't work out for us. Grabbi---typical Souness spending other people's money without even seeing the player first. Has TM got that same excuse----I have no idea. A huge gamble, just like this one.

Your last sentence----you come across as so superior. What a load of crap. Plenty of fans on here were watching Rovers decades before you were born, "modern football support" my arse!

• Like 3

A disappointing window for me.

Have we really strengthened our squad by the permanent signing of Brereton and by signing a young lad from Gib and Chapman (where their has to be doubt about his fitness now and ongoing given his hamstring history).

A window lasts a whole month and not a panic stricken last few days.  Mowbray tells us he had money to spend.  We all know the first eleven needs strengthening in several areas not just the striking roles.  In my view, our recruitment efforts are poor if we couldn't find at least one player somewhere within our transfer and wages' budget who would come into our first eleven and strengthen our team.

Feels like we've missed a real opportunity to push on with the play offs in striking distance.  To me, Mowbray writes his scripts to suit his own needs with the LT article an example.  Said it before and will say it again, in my opinion, he's a steady Eddie who will not take us back to where we all want to be. 

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Why all the angst in every post about the inadequacies of your fellow fans Biz? You usually tell us off when we posit anything you can construe as "conspiracy theory".

Yet you cannot accept what the majority have seen with their own eyes--namely that Brereton has shown nothing to suggest he's going to be the striker we all hoped for when we committed £7M. Yes, he's 19---so what? Plenty of 19 year olds are playing regularly for their clubs. Yes, he hasn't had back to back starts---that's because TM knows better than to pick him.

The strangest transfer I can ever remember at Rovers and yes, the size of the fee is relevant to that view. We've signed flops before but usually haven't paid much. 2 exceptions and both signed for £7M(!)---Davies and Grabbi! Both way better than this one. Davies should have worked out better and did when he left so I didn't see that buy as extraordinarily bad, it just didn't work out for us. Grabbi---typical Souness spending other people's money without even seeing the player first. Has TM got that same excuse----I have no idea. A huge gamble, just like this one.

Your last sentence----you come across as so superior. What a load of crap. Plenty of fans on here were watching Rovers decades before you were born, "modern football support" my arse!

You’re judging a 19 player by a handful of starts/sub appearances. 

When you’ve stopped doing that I will be waiting to have a more sensible discussion.

Inferiority complex much? Social media society is as fickle as it gets, why would football fans be any different;

Case in point. 47er expects and thinks a 7m signing is entitled to be a world beater. If he doesn’t do it right away, he’s a shyte/obscene waste of money.

1 minute ago, Biz said:

You’ve seen him come off the bench for a handful of appearances and that’s it? 19 year old not worth it, sack him? 

Thank Christ you aren’t involved in our academy. 

I know that figure is the perfect excuse to expect another Rhodes - but the reality is completely different. Football has moved on even in that time. 

I actually thought you talked a lot of sense about football but your take on Brereton and our transfer business is so transparent that I am embarrassed for you. 

(@Paul Mellelieu will be ripping his own hair out)

If he were from our academy, he'd be free! And we wouldn't have had the same expectations! The £7M is relevant, however hard you try to spin it.

Are you really saying we couldn't have spent £7M better? Ridiculous.

Just now, 47er said:

If he were from our academy, he'd be free! And we wouldn't have had the same expectations! The £7M is relevant, however hard you try to spin it.

No, but I’m not the one suggesting it’s wasted when the 19 year lad hasn’t even started two games in a row yet.

The only thing ridiculous is that!

Just now, Biz said:

You’re judging a 19 player by a handful of starts/sub appearances. 

When you’ve stopped doing that I will be waiting to have a more sensible discussion.

Inferiority complex much? Social media society is as fickle as it gets, why would football fans be any different;

Case in point. 47er expects and thinks a 7m signing is entitled to be a world beater. If he doesn’t do it right away, he’s a shyte/obscene waste of money.

I never said world-beater! That's just your usual hype when you try to defend the tripe you post.

Half-decent would do for me at this stage!

How will I  be able to judge him on a long sequence of starts/sub appearances when, on what he's shown so far, he won't be making them.

How old is Travis by the way? Bit more value there?

Just now, 47er said:

Does anyone actualy know how the £7M deal payments are structured and what triggers each payment .