BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I found it interesting his comments about him needing to be more commanding. The way he said it made it sound like, our CB's are rubbish in the air so you've got to come claim more things. You look at the first goal on Saturday and there's no way Raya should be coming for that it's miles from his goal. But he's got it in his head that he has to come for that and gets himself stuck in no-mans land, if he stays on his line he saves that.

It comes back to the last two transfer windows again, the manager wants to drop Raya due to poor form but can't because he didn't think we needed competition for him. He asking Raya to come for everything because we didn't sign a centre half that can head a ball.

And that's something that was evident the season we went down, last season and early on in this it's no coincidence that fans all across social media have been asking for a proper centre half or two for years now.  Three converted midfielders and a left back have been the mainstays yet not the best footballer but most competent in the air maybe was used as back up then let go.

You really wonder sometimes why these managers can't see the wood for the trees when you throw in the mix the raw keeper who's never been a commanding one from the word go before you add in his dithering.

To go from Robinson to Steele to Raya shows why we are still struggling.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Most of Raya's faults would be cured by a top goal keeping coach.  He's still young so time for them to be coached out before they become ingrained. 

Can't cure lack of real height though. 

Mowbray calling Raya out in public isn't something that's sat particularly well with me.

The other worrying thing was that Mowbray described Leuitwiler's strength as him being experienced. He actually isn't though. He's 6 years older than Raya and has played about 50 more league games than him.

He's played 3 games at Championship level (not going to bother checking but I'm guessing under Mowbray) compared to Raya's 34 so if anything he's less experienced than Raya he's just older.

He's not a viable alternative and that itself is part of the problem. I'd stick with him until the end of the season.

34 minutes ago, DE. said:

Ferguson is the best example, but in the modern game especially criticising players in public is usually tantamount to career suicide. You might get away with it in L1 and below, but at PL and Championship level - rightly or wrongly - managers are walking a tightrope when they begin pointing fingers at the players and avoid taking their share of the blame. The "us and them" mentality should not be the manager & fans vs the players. That is obviously not going to end well for the manager. 

The Q&A seemed to suggest Tony knows exactly where the problems are, but whether he thinks he's at fault for those failings? Not sure. 

Indeed and I wonder is that why Mowbray feels like it is ok or effective to only call out the younger players, as opposed to someone like Mulgrew. 

Hurst at Ipswich was an example of a manager who worked with League 1 payers who then made the step up and quickly realized that you can't do the same with players on around 10,000 a week.

I suppose League 1 is the highest level where managers are paid the same as ,if not more than the majority of players. 

23 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Mowbray calling Raya out in public isn't something that's sat particularly well with me.

The other worrying thing was that Mowbray described Leuitwiler's strength as him being experienced. He actually isn't though. He's 6 years older than Raya and has played about 50 more league games than him.

He's played 3 games at Championship level (not going to bother checking but I'm guessing under Mowbray) compared to Raya's 34 so if anything he's less experienced than Raya he's just older.

He's not a viable alternative and that itself is part of the problem. I'd stick with him until the end of the season.

Leuitwiler was bought primarily to help us get International weekends off,  actually playing only in extreme emergency and not as replacement for any loss of form by Raya. Poor planning. 

I agree that publicly shaming players is wrong. There is no positive in doing it,  it is enough to drop players and give them hell in private. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia

I've just found this article from Monday which I missed at the time. - https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17475257.rovers-boss-mowbray-wants-his-side-to-show-their-character/

Some quotes in there 

I’m not a big believer in formations, ultimately it’s what’s in your stomach, what’s in your brain, the emotion of a footballer is what is a true reflection, never mind what formation you play. - Thats I'm not at fault it's the players who don't want to defend enough.

Whether we play a back four, whether we play five in midfield, we lose three goals every game almost. - So why for example did we go Birmingham away and play with 1 defensive winger and one centre mid out wide?

With all his criticism of the defence and the keeper i'd like to hear Mowbray address our  attacking issues. We're playing two ball playing centre backs and all we do is lump it to Graham and hope we score from a set piece.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I made a response about 15 mins ago but somehow accidently hid it and can't work out how to recover. 

Just wanted to say I  there is no positive that I can see in shaming or calling out a player in public. Drop the player by all means and tell him why in private. 

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I made a response about 15 mins ago but somehow accidently hid it and can't work out how to recover. 

Just wanted to say I  there is no positive that I can see in shaming or calling out a player in public. Drop the player by all means and tell him why in private. 

Sorted!

22 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I've just found this article from Monday which I missed at the time. - https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17475257.rovers-boss-mowbray-wants-his-side-to-show-their-character/

Some quotes in there 

I’m not a big believer in formations, ultimately it’s what’s in your stomach, what’s in your brain, the emotion of a footballer is what is a true reflection, never mind what formation you play. - Thats I'm not at fault it's the players who don't want to defend enough.

Whether we play a back four, whether we play five in midfield, we lose three goals every game almost. - So why for example did we go Birmingham away and play with 1 defensive winger and one centre mid out wide?

With all his criticism of the defence and the keeper i'd like to hear Mowbray address our  attacking issues. We're playing two ball playing centre backs and all we do is lump it to Graham and hope we score from a set piece.

Arse covering for all his messing and meddling is all that is he still needs to fathom out he's mostly dealing with bog standard average players and youngsters not Galacticos.

Square pegs in round holes and over complicated systems don't work with these lads they aren't good enough and to be honest do you really need a lot of that stuff in this league against half the teams ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Leuitwiler was bought primarily to help us get International weekends off,  actually playing only in extreme emergency and not as replacement for any loss of form by Raya. Poor planning. 

I agree that publicly shaming players is wrong. There is no positive in doing it,  it is enough to drop players and give them hell in private. 

Leutwiler played 118 league games for Shrewsbury between 2014 and 2017 the first season being at league 2 level. Raya has far more experience at championship level. To me Raya's form has deteriorated significantly since he was kicked in the head by Rodriguez. Publicly shaming him is not going to help matters at all. Depending on Raya's confidence levels it could severely impact on him. I hope we are not seeing the start of a Jake Kean situation.

19 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Leutwiler played 118 league games for Shrewsbury between 2014 and 2017 the first season being at league 2 level. Raya has far more experience at championship level. To me Raya's form has deteriorated significantly since he was kicked in the head by Rodriguez. Publicly shaming him is not going to help matters at all. Depending on Raya's confidence levels it could severely impact on him. I hope we are not seeing the start of a Jake Kean situation.

I do think Raya came back far too quickly. It would have been best if he could have had the facial reconstruction surgery early and not wait to the Summer.... he was rushed by Mowbray simply because we have no proper backup. 

Not only has Raya had the actual impact and injury to deal with but also the wait for surgery,  that is a hell of a lot to handle. IMO. 

My thoughts on Rodriguez are best kept to myself. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I do think Raya came back far too quickly. It would have been best if he could have had the facial reconstruction surgery early and not wait to the Summer.... he was rushed by Mowbray simply because we have no proper backup. 

Not only has Raya had the actual impact and injury to deal with but also the wait for surgery,  that is a hell of a lot to handle. IMO. 

My thoughts on Rodriguez are best kept to myself. 

Totally agree with that. I was amazed he came back so soon. I had a feeling it was going to impact on him. 

I think Mowbray should have played Leutwiler to be honest. If he doesn't think he is a good enough back up, then he should have signed someone who was.  

• Like 3

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17488509.tony-mowbray-on-trying-to-cure-rovers-aerial-issues/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

If only Ryan could head the ball (with helpful picture by the LT just for emphasis), we'd have won those games he didn't play in. 

Tomorrow: Tea Lady changed brand and lads have never recovered says Tony. 

46 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17488509.tony-mowbray-on-trying-to-cure-rovers-aerial-issues/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

If only Ryan could head the ball (with helpful picture by the LT just for emphasis), we'd have won those games he didn't play in. 

“Mowbray added: “I’ve always bought assets. If a team needs speed, you buy speed, if it needs strength, buy strength, if you need someone whose game is around heading the ball, then do that.

“You look to take all the reasons of why you’ve lost games and take them out of the equation. So when you go to Rotherham hopefully you’ve got two 6’4” centre halves who have built their game around heading the ball.”

The bloke has had 4 transfer windows (and been well backed in each one), what on earth is he going on about?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

He can't help himself. We currently have four options for centre half, three are converted from midfield and the other is predominantly a full back. His 'I've always bought assets' doesn't wash. In his time here he has brought in one natural centre half (on a free from MK Dons) whilst bringing in players for positions were we are quite well stocked. And Downing is out on loan presumably considered not good enough.

His guff knows no bounds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

All professional footballers should be competent at heading the ball, if not then what have they been doing all their pampered lives. Beggars belief. 

Graham not even getting off the ground for the long throw,  the other two no better. 

Mulgrew missing in action,  Raya being Raya. 

Says to me they had not taken on board any of that weeks defensive coaching.  That is the responsibility of the coaches and manager. 

It's all a bit late for a ball on a piece of string,  which is actually how I learnt too mid to late 50s, so  no Mowbray copyright there.

Everything's a Story. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Just now, DanielMB said:

Lets try and entertain this TM out idea. Who are the alternatives?

Wagner.... Jokanovic. They won't be cheap but they fit the rovers criteria of being on the dole and having a promotion out of the Championship on their CV. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Wagner.... Jokanovic. They won't be cheap but they fit the rovers criteria of being on the dole and having a promotion out of the Championship on their CV. 

Wagner is a good shout actually. Wouldn't mind that one bit. Still don't think TM is on his way out.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, DanielMB said:

Wagner is a good shout actually. Wouldn't mind that one bit. Still don't think TM is on his way out.

He probably isn’t, but he should be unless he sorts this (not just today, the team in general) out urgently.

Edited by K-Hod

We have the same discussions every time a manager comes under fire. People are wary of change and contrive excuses to maintain the status quo.

When a manager loses the plot like Mowbray has it's always better to twist rather than stick. There's no guarantee a new manager would do any better, even a proven one, but there's less chance of Mowbray turning things around.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 3