BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

29 minutes ago, metalrover said:

Dont think we will miss BBD if Sigurdson can stay fit and injury free. Not a bad start for siggy despite the losing streak. Now i worry will venky release the funds for a permanent deal if siggy continues to perform. Will be gutted if we dont sign him permanent.

We might miss that transfer fee we may have got for Brereton-Diaz! That is, assuming the funds would have been put to use.

I've checked some reports on Buckley and it seems he's done ok as a sub but nothing more than that. Fans seem to view him as a back-up to Barry Bannan and not a starter or as the wide attacker role he's filled in at. To be fair to him, it must be challenging to go into a club at the bottom of the league and in what seems like disarray and try and make an immediate impact.

His future looks very uncertain, despite his talents. I would ask, however, whether Rovers have a single reliable central midfielder? We are waiting on Tronstad and Garrett has shown glimpses but not had a run but there's no-one consistent in there. JRC is the latest experiment and we'll have to see.

• 3 weeks later...

What a bad move for Buckley..    I can see him slipping through the leagues after this..  He's just not athletic enough. Coasts through games.  Shame.  Can anyone see him coming back in Jan and getting in ahead of Trondstadt, JRC, Travis, Wharton.. Think the lads really got his work cut out now..

35 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

The agreement would be between the clubs. So we would join the long list of creditors. Bucko is contracted to rovers.

Surely he currently has a contract with Sheffield Wednesday  - how else could they ‘insist’ on him turning up for training etc?

Edited by wilsdenrover

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Surely he currently has a contract with Sheffield Wednesday  - how else could they ‘insist’ on him turning up for training etc?

Don't know the ins and outs of loan deals but look on this from view that Buckos contract is with rovers. If he comes back in January that contract is still running. In the meantime Wednesday took over paying a certain percentage of his wages amount not known. Wednesday pay that percentage to rovers not bucko. Bucko still gets what his contract with rovers is in full. So if Wednesday can't pay it's rovers that suffer not Buckley.Happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Don't know the ins and outs of loan deals but look on this from view that Buckos contract is with rovers. If he comes back in January that contract is still running. In the meantime Wednesday took over paying a certain percentage of his wages amount not known. Wednesday pay that percentage to rovers not bucko. Bucko still gets what his contract with rovers is in full. So if Wednesday can't pay it's rovers that suffer not Buckley.Happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

I’m not sure that’s an absolute given and may well differ from loan to loan.

I guess we’ll find out if/when the shit hits the fan at Wednesday!

• Like 1

I have dealt with a mortgage from one of the current Rovers players and when he was on loan Rovers paid his basic wage, plus a loan bonus as well. Assuming we were receiving a loan payment from the club he was on loan to, perhaps we pay Buckley’s wage and a portion of what we get from Wednesday to him too. That money to Rovers from Wednesday may not be coming any more, unless the fans stump up. Perhaps it means we can recall him.

A very similar thing happened at Bolton when Anderson was the owner. They had a Forrest Green striker on loan, who they failed to pay and he went back, part way through. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lraC said:

I have dealt with a mortgage from one of the current Rovers players and when he was on loan Rovers paid his basic wage, plus a loan bonus as well. Assuming we were receiving a loan payment from the club he was on loan to, perhaps we pay Buckley’s wage and a portion of what we get from Wednesday to him too. That money to Rovers from Wednesday may not be coming any more, unless the fans stump up. Perhaps it means we can recall him.

A very similar thing happened at Bolton when Anderson was the owner. They had a Forrest Green striker on loan, who they failed to pay and he went back, part way through. 

I believe this would be at the EFLs discretion - can you see them doing us any favours?

16 hours ago, lraC said:

A 'loan bonus' so in effect they pay them extra to bugger off elsewhere to get games meaning we save next to nothing on the pay roll anyway, or it even costs more.

Football eh, what an industry and we are supposed to then feel sorry for some of the little mites !

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A 'loan bonus' so in effect they pay them extra to bugger off elsewhere to get games meaning we save next to nothing on the pay roll anyway, or it even costs more.

Football eh, what an industry and we are supposed to then feel sorry for some of the little mites !

I have to admit, I was surprised when I saw that, but yes, only in the word of football.

• Like 2

On 31/10/2023 at 16:18, Rogerb said:

If they pay us, and then we pay Buckley, would that not result in tax being charged twice?

On 31/10/2023 at 17:04, wilsdenrover said:

I believe this would be at the EFLs discretion - can you see them doing us any favours?

I guess if Sheff Wed fail to pay any loan fees then the contract is breached and Buckley returns by default. Though, not sure if there's any issue with him playing for Rovers straight away under EFL rules.

One thing that has puzzled me about the Buckley move was that, from quotes I saw from Buckley and, I think, Barry Bannan, it was the latter who recommended Buckley to the Sheff Wed hierarchy. I read an interview with Buckley in which he talks about knowing Bannan prior to the move. It's not inconceivable that they have some connection as friends or family but it made me curious. According to Transfermarkt.co.uk, they're both on the books of the agents, SMI Sports, so, perhaps, part of the connection arises there.

Overall, it seems a strange move from Sheff Wed, seeing as Buckley, for all his talent and frustrating potential, he's not someone you'd put forward for a relegation scrap and with Bannan there as the midfield creator, he was always going to be a deputy at best - though, they have tried him in wider positions.

The loan bonus concept does surprise me... I wonder if it is a substitute for performance-related bonuses the player would likely have got?

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1