BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

20 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I actually have more confidence in Garrett than Buckley right now, especially in a relegation fight. At least he doesn't go missing.

Funny old game - I think Garrett is miles off being ready. Buckley is a far superior player. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Funny old game - I think Garrett is miles off being ready. Buckley is a far superior player. 

For the 1 in 4 games he shows up, sure. He's been anonymous or a liability in the majority of his appearances so far. He goes through little patches of consistency though, but more patches of consistent crapness. Hoping he can establish true consistency at some point, because he does have quality, but I'm not optimistic on the back of a likely dispiriting spell at Wednesday and another injury.

Adam Wharton was everything we were promised Buckley would be despite being much younger, a real blow to lose him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Some folk think he needs a loan out to league 1.. would appreciate your thoughts?

I think a league one loan would be superb for him if he played most games. More than that, I worry about his brother on social media criticising every time Jake isn’t on the pitch. I hope Jake doesn’t have the same ultra high opinion of himself and can ignore that external noise, because he isn’t all that at all and has a lot to work on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

For the 1 in 4 games he shows up, sure. He's been anonymous or a liability in the majority of his appearances so far. He goes through little patches of consistency though, but more patches of consistent crapness. Hoping he can establish true consistency at some point, because he does have quality, but I'm not optimistic on the back of a likely dispiriting spell at Wednesday and another injury.

Adam Wharton was everything we were promised Buckley would be despite being much younger, a real blow to lose him.

Buckley needs a rocket up his arse. He flashes being a brilliant player at this level, but drifts out of games and dallies on the ball at times. 

Sadly he's 24 and recently been sent out on loan which tells you that even Rovers have given up on him ever maturing. 

He's also a poor athlete, so asking him to be a runner in a midfield 3 is putting him on a hiding to nothing. Sitting in a 4-2-3-1 was, I thought, the ideal role for him, but we've moved away from that with Eustace. 

• Like 2

I think Buckley's best spell by far came playing really high up in that Mowbray counter attacking side, where he was useful in winning the ball back and playing through Brereton and Khadra often into space. That was 3 seasons ago now though. I felt like he struggled when expected to play deeper under Tomasson and often didnt start, fell out of favour to the point where we sent him to the 2nd worst team in the league for whom he still could barely get a game. 

His reputation definitely is increasing whilst absent because the alternatives in that position notably Garrett arent up to it or are injury prone. When he gets fit enough he is definitely worth a go in midfield because he has more talent than Garrett but I am not particularly optimistic of him excelling because hes had a long spell of not doing much and im not convinced that he is a deeper central midfielder, athough there is an obvious vacancy there next to Tronstad. Maybe considering that Eustace favours a more pragmatic style, that Buckley behind Szmodics and Gallagher could help to get back to those levels he hit a couple of years ago? But then you still have that void next to Tronstad.

3 hours ago, J*B said:

I think Garrett's problem is that he desperately needed to play football, but we were so short of numbers that he was retained under JDT (who clearly didn't think he was ready) to occupy a place on the bench rather than sent on loan to L1. 

He hasn't developed like he should and is now going to be asked to play major minutes in a struggling side in a relegation battle. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Buckley's best spell by far came playing really high up in that Mowbray counter attacking side, where he was useful in winning the ball back and playing through Brereton and Khadra often into space. That was 3 seasons ago now though. I felt like he struggled when expected to play deeper under Tomasson and often didnt start, fell out of favour to the point where we sent him to the 2nd worst team in the league for whom he still could barely get a game. 

His reputation definitely is increasing whilst absent because the alternatives in that position notably Garrett arent up to it or are injury prone. When he gets fit enough he is definitely worth a go in midfield because he has more talent than Garrett but I am not particularly optimistic of him excelling because hes had a long spell of not doing much and im not convinced that he is a deeper central midfielder, athough there is an obvious vacancy there next to Tronstad. Maybe considering that Eustace favours a more pragmatic style, that Buckley behind Szmodics and Gallagher could help to get back to those levels he hit a couple of years ago? But then you still have that void next to Tronstad.

He provided zero goal threat from that advanced position - we also have 6 #10s on the books already. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He provided zero goal threat from that advanced position - we also have 6 #10s on the books already. 

That was definitely the weakness in his game, but he was really good in that team at nicking the ball high up and he was good at through balls to players into space on the counter attack.

That was definitely his best spell of form and I felt he struggled last season being expected to sit deeper, in theory it made sense but (unlike Wharton) he struggled taking the ball deep as he often got caught out. His form meant that he couldnt sustain his place in the team, even when we werent as possession focused as we went on to become.

I do agree that we are in need of central midfielders over number 10s, so I guess he will be seen in that role. Im just unconvinced by him there. 

His last year and a half in general have not seen him kick on so I am unsure that he is the answer full stop, and Id rather see him in central midfield over Garrett, but I do wonder if he would be better suited playing behind Gallagher and Szmodics and ahead of (and at times helping) 2 other midfielders in a similar syste to that team he thrived in before his form fell away like the teams did.

• Like 2

I think Buckley has talent but like many failed footballers he also appears to have a poor attitude. Hopefully the Sheffield Wednesday move was the kick up the backside he needed and he knuckles down and concentrates on developing as a person and player.

Time will tell.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think Buckley has talent but like many failed footballers he also appears to have a poor attitude. Hopefully the Sheffield Wednesday move was the kick up the backside he needed and he knuckles down and concentrates on developing as a person and player.

Time will tell.

I was under the impression that he was starting to get into some good form before getting injured. I think earlier when he went there he was playing out of position but then they put him more central and he was doing well.

Last season was similar, he was coming into some good form and then picked up a nasty injury.

He's not had the best of luck the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Time will tell.

I think he made the mistake that some players destined for big things at a young age make. He thought he was there already. I agree with you when you say he was being held back by his attitude. I’ve never seen a player get so many cheap yellow cards. I don’t think he’s ever got one for kicking somebody up in the air. The red he got for bouncing the ball on an opponents head sums him up really. Why do it ?

Let’s hope he’s smartened up after his trip to Sheffield.

• Like 3

My issue with Buckley is his workrate. He remind me a lot of Wharton, strolls around the pitch- always thought he just needs a rocket up his arse. But technically he's good, quite creative, can tackle and intercept and more often than not is in the right place at the right time so is quite involved in games. Garrett is very aggressive and does have something about him for sure but often goes missing/isn't heavily involved for long periods. I think this is down to a lack of positional awareness. 

I'd have said 

Trondstadt, Buckley, Travis would have been reasonable enough, Trondstadt, Buckley, Garrett to me, looks like a car crash. Especially coupled with lack of a genuine target man pace out wide. 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 18:48, bluebruce said:

Let's hope tomorrow is the 1in 4

JE said earlier -

"We have John Buckley as well coming back in. He was due to play for the Under-21s tonight at Derby but we've pulled him out of that game.

"He'll be involved tomorrow at some point tomorrow night and I am excited about that" 

10 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

My issue with Buckley is his workrate. He remind me a lot of Wharton, strolls around the pitch- always thought he just needs a rocket up his arse. But technically he's good, quite creative, can tackle and intercept and more often than not is in the right place at the right time so is quite involved in games. Garrett is very aggressive and does have something about him for sure but often goes missing/isn't heavily involved for long periods. I think this is down to a lack of positional awareness. 

I'd have said 

Trondstadt, Buckley, Travis would have been reasonable enough, Trondstadt, Buckley, Garrett to me, looks like a car crash. Especially coupled with lack of a genuine target man pace out wide. 

Funny you mentioned that about Adam. Just watching the palace Everton game and he is doing just that. It's quite obvious in a game played with a bit more quality than championship.

Hope bucko gets his form in quick too seeing as he will be playing tomorrow now

• Like 1