BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

57 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

My general feeling is we promote young players too late to first team rather than too late. I wouldn't be against him getting some game time. But realistically he's not going to go in as a starter under any manager.

We'll need new experienced players to replace Rothwell and Johnson imo.

I would say, one midfielder who puts himself about. If there are injuries, they could be covered from the U23s. My midfield would be : Travis, Buckley , incoming Physical defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I would say, one midfielder who puts himself about. If there are injuries, they could be covered from the U23s. My midfield would be : Travis, Buckley , incoming Physical defensive midfielder.

A Jermaine Jones type player alongside those two would be incredible.

I was gutted we didn't sign him permanently at the time.

• Like 5

Dack will surely start next season, but we likely need more than one midfielder coming in, especially as with Buckley yet to prove his ability (or even any managers desire to even try him there) to play deeper every week and Edun looking pretty hopeless, there is not much there without Rothwell, Johnson and the lesser spotted Davenport all off. 

We can't just blindly cover spots by saying to use the under 23s either, the likes of Wharton and Garrett are total novices so we cannot place any dependence on them, I think in general we need more experience. If those 2 or anyone else makes an unexpected breakthrough then great, but if its a case of assuming that they can cover, its a crazy risk.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack will surely start next season, but we likely need more than one midfielder coming in, especially as with Buckley yet to prove his ability (or even any managers desire to even try him there) to play deeper every week and Edun looking pretty hopeless, there is not much there without Rothwell, Johnson and the lesser spotted Davenport all off. 

We can't just blindly cover spots by saying to use the under 23s either, the likes of Wharton and Garrett are total novices so we cannot place any dependence on them, I think in general we need more experience. If those 2 or anyone else makes an unexpected breakthrough then great, but if its a case of assuming that they can cover, its a crazy risk.

Johnson and Davenport have done nothing this season, I don't think they will be missed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rigger said:

The few chances he did get, Davenport did not really impress.

I always thought he looked a tidy player in possession, could get about the pitch and wasn't afraid to put a tackle in.

He must not have liked Mrs Mowbray's lemon drizzle cake. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Buckley on the coming season:

I think that gives a small insight into how much players want to play in their normal positions rather than being asked to do something they're not accustomed to. Under Mowbray, we were persistently bodging players to fit into the system. Even Bradley Johnson made a joking comment about him being asked to play as a false nine. It's clear that Buckley is best-suited as a playmaker and a passer, rather than somebody who we can rely on in advanced positions to get us goals.

I think it will come as a relief to some just to be played in their natural positions by JDT. It will be a welcome change for us as fans too. We'll never know, but I'm guessing there will be a few who were baffled by where they were asked to play last season.

Giles being asked to play on the right of the attack and to "be like Mahrez". I doubt Wilder will be telling him the same thing, somehow.

Buckley being played as a false nine, when he has indicated his preferred position above. Johnson laughing at being played at false nine on Twitter.

Gally has to be another too, being a central striker. I remember him being out on the right eventually confusing the Sky pundits too. I think it was Kevin Davies who called it out and said he should be down the middle.

JDT likes to play a possession game so Buckley could play an important role from a deeper position.

• 1 year later...

Feel a bit for Buckley, I’d initially thought Wednesday would do alright (after watching their second leg semi-final and playoff final appearances) and try to vaunt up the league. He’s somehow managed to walk into a bigger shambles than Ewood.

Glad he’s getting minutes and I’m certain he’ll learn an awful lot between now and January, but I’d be of a mind to recall him if their downward spiral were to continue. There are only so many positives you can take from getting beat most weeks.

• Like 2