BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

7 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I guess if Sheff Wed fail to pay any loan fees then the contract is breached and Buckley returns by default. Though, not sure if there's any issue with him playing for Rovers straight away under EFL rules.

One thing that has puzzled me about the Buckley move was that, from quotes I saw from Buckley and, I think, Barry Bannan, it was the latter who recommended Buckley to the Sheff Wed hierarchy. I read an interview with Buckley in which he talks about knowing Bannan prior to the move. It's not inconceivable that they have some connection as friends or family but it made me curious. According to Transfermarkt.co.uk, they're both on the books of the agents, SMI Sports, so, perhaps, part of the connection arises there.

Overall, it seems a strange move from Sheff Wed, seeing as Buckley, for all his talent and frustrating potential, he's not someone you'd put forward for a relegation scrap and with Bannan there as the midfield creator, he was always going to be a deputy at best - though, they have tried him in wider positions.

The loan bonus concept does surprise me... I wonder if it is a substitute for performance-related bonuses the player would likely have got?

Regarding your first sentence, a player can terminate his contract if he’s not paid on time twice - I wonder if this applies to a loan contract?

Even If this is the case, by the time the proper procedures were followed it would probably be January anyway.

I don’t know about your final question but your ‘theory’ certainly makes sense.

Perhaps another option is it’s the equivalent of the ‘loyalty’ payment made when a permanent transfer takes place without the player requesting to leave.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If they pay us, and then we pay Buckley, would that not result in tax being charged twice?

Think the payment to us by Wednesday would be treated as capital income. The tax would be on Buckley's wage. As we run at a huge loss there is no tax on the capital income received. So only one lot of tax.

• 2 weeks later...

On the decision to loan Buckley, Gregg Broughton said in September: "John is a player we have invested in heavily, we gave him a new long-term contract and he is a player we fully believe in as a football club.

“He's a player that was knocking on the door not only saying, 'I want to be in the squad but I deserve to be starting games'. 

"Something had to give and we felt John should go out on loan. We are delighted that is a Championship loan and it was also vital that we had a January recall."

Tomasson's view on John Buckley and potential January recall | Lancashire Telegraph

Bucko isn't starting games under the new manager at SWFC. Looks like he could well be back in January. He'll probably get a chance if he does come back with JRC out until at least Feb. 

He's a talented lad, and clearly rates himself. Hopefully not getting a game at Rovers and SWFC is a massive wake up call for him. 

Think John Buckley is a 24 year old footballer who is a legend only in his own mind.

Not good enough for Rovers and not even good enough for a very poor Sheffield Wednesday rooted to the bottom of the league.

Yet another appalling piece of management from Rovers to give him a new 5 year contract just over 1 year ago.  IMO, yet another gross error of judgement by Broughton.

We really do keep shooting ourselves in the feet - little wonder we average £20million / year losses and are now seemingly borasic.  The gravy train just keeps rolling and rolling on for a wide range of Rovers' personnel (playing and other) who, IMO, are quite simply miles away from the standard we need.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think John Buckley is a 24 year old footballer who is a legend only in his own mind.

Not good enough for Rovers and not even good enough for a very poor Sheffield Wednesday rooted to the bottom of the league.

Yet another appalling piece of management from Rovers to give him a new 5 year contract just over 1 year ago.  IMO, yet another gross error of judgement by Broughton.

We really do keep shooting ourselves in the feet - little wonder we average £20million / year losses and are now seemingly borasic.  The gravy train just keeps rolling and rolling on for a wide range of Rovers' personnel (playing and other) who, IMO, are quite simply miles away from the standard we need.

The person furthest away from the standards the Rovers require is, Waggot.

• Like 4

Buckley certainly should’ve received a new deal.

He’s struggled for form since, that’s football - but I doubt there would have been much praise on here for GB et al if he’d have been another to walk out for nowt in the summer, indeed, ‘no wonder we are brassic’ would’ve been levelled at them then too…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Ridiculous.

One of the main reasons we lose so much is we keep letting our top players leave for nothing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wonder if Sheff Weds have the choice to end the loan from their side?

If they do, it could be that they send him back, increasing slightly our wage bill and further hindering any microscopic hopes of strengthening.

Certainly a problem if that happens...Didn't we give him a 5year contract, last year ???

On 16/12/2023 at 21:54, roversfan99 said:

I wonder if Sheff Weds have the choice to end the loan from their side?

If they do, it could be that they send him back, increasing slightly our wage bill and further hindering any microscopic hopes of strengthening.

Here’s hoping we have a similar stance as Leeds did with Poveda. 

He’s been injured whilst on loan with you, so you need to cover the agreed wages until the end of the season.

4 hours ago, rigger said:

There seems to be a vail of secrecy about the seriousness of Buckleys injury. From the Sheffield reports it sounds like ligament damage, but nobody has made a definative statement. Has anyone else heard anything ? 

Didn’t he get a similar injury away at Stoke last season that kept him out for months ?