BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 18/02/2024 at 22:58, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Get Buckley back in the team if he is fit.

i know he’s not a replacement for Adam but he can do a much better job than any others we have available. I like Garratt but he isn’t in the same class as Buckley.

We should not have let Travis go either. 

Can we get Travis back too?

• Like 1

Neither Ayari or based on more evidence Garrett is anywhere near the required standard, so I am wary of getting ahead of myself even if he is well above that really low benchmark.

Buckley has always had ability, but has struggled for various reasons for nearly 2 years, he couldnt get a game at a team about to go down. He also didnt adapt as well as expected when moved into his new deeper midfield role. That being said, even though hes obviously not close to being Adam Wharton, he does have something in there so lets hope he can take an somewhat unexpected chance and push on. His cameo was a promising one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Neither Ayari or based on more evidence Garrett is anywhere near the required standard, so I am wary of getting ahead of myself even if he is well above that really low benchmark.

Buckley has always had ability, but has struggled for various reasons for nearly 2 years, he couldnt get a game at a team about to go down. He also didnt adapt as well as expected when moved into his new deeper midfield role. That being said, even though hes obviously not close to being Adam Wharton, he does have something in there so lets hope he can take an somewhat unexpected chance and push on. His cameo was a promising one.

I still think many are being very unfair on Garrett. He's barely played any football. He desperately needed a loan out in January to a L1 club - instead he's being thrust into the middle of a relegation battle at 20. 

• Like 4

I thought Buckley's cameo off the bench at Cardiff completely changed the flow of the game.

A coach worthy of the title would have seen enough yesterday evening to work on and at least Bucko is no longer under the enormous shadow of Adam Wharton.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I still think many are being very unfair on Garrett. He's barely played any football. He desperately needed a loan out in January to a L1 club - instead he's being thrust into the middle of a relegation battle at 20. 

Unfortunately hes not nearly Championship standard. He did need a loan but even then im not convinced by what he offers aside from running around and whether he will get there at any time.

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

I thought Buckley's cameo off the bench at Cardiff completely changed the flow of the game.

A coach worthy of the title would have seen enough yesterday evening to work on and at least Bucko is no longer under the enormous shadow of Adam Wharton.

He will need more than a promising cameo in a drab draw v Cardiff to move out of that.

I'm really hopeful that Buckley can kick on now. There is a spot up for grabs and I've thought at times in the past that he has the potential to become a focal point of the team, it's just he's always been in the shadow of others it seems.

The Sheffield Wednesday loan was never right for him, and I believe he was played mostly out of position under their previous manager before he got injured.

On paper, Tronstad and Buckley together could be a very good pairing.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

I'm really hopeful that Buckley can kick on now. There is a spot up for grabs and I've thought at times in the past that he has the potential to become a focal point of the team, it's just he's always been in the shadow of others it seems.

The Sheffield Wednesday loan was never right for him, and I believe he was played mostly out of position under their previous manager before he got injured.

Yep, they did play him wide more often than in midfield.  Then when he didn't perform there (wide) ,which any one of us could have told them wouldn't work, dropped him almost completely

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-buckley/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/503781/plus/0?saison=2023&verein=1035&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Yeh agreed. They just need a run of games and trust from the coach now. Hopefully he kicks on. JE can't stop praising him enough so let's see if that bears fruit

51 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think he`ll definately start on saturday,it would`nt be a hard decision to pick buckley over ayari,unless eustace rests tronstadt,who`s had a massive workload this season

We could rest Tronstad and give Travis a game. Oh I forgot, we loaned him to Ipswich.

• Like 2

On 19/12/2023 at 16:38, MarkBRFC said:

He did.

He had just started to play pretty well too, had a good 5/6 games in a row where it looked like he was getting to grips with what JDT wanted out of him.

Interesting listening to his interview on here

He mentions a few times about " the last 12 months" and how he didn't agree with things or like things but "stayed professional" quite clever that jdt didn't rate him/trust him

https://www.rovers.co.uk/videos/

Hes only played 90 mins collectively over the last two games but Buckleys been very impressive not only in how intelligent he is on the ball but also putting a foot in and reading the game off it.

Think we will build the team around him now - hes always fitted around others at false 9, right back, number 10 etc. But he will now be the one everyone looks to in the middle of the pitch.

I think that focus will really suit him and he'll kick on in the way we have been hoping for a long time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hes only played 90 mins collectively over the last two games but Buckleys been very impressive not only in how intelligent he is on the ball but also putting a foot in and reading the game off it.

Think we will build the team around him now - hes always fitted around others at false 9, right back, number 10 etc. But he will now be the one everyone looks to in the middle of the pitch.

I think that focus will really suit him and he'll kick on in the way we have been hoping for a long time.

Let’s hope so. The ability has always been there, the problem has been getting him to apply it.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let’s hope so. The ability has always been there, the problem has been getting him to apply it.

hopefully JE is the coach to be able to get the best out of him. so far so good. keep it up Bucko

Edited by NeilInBristol
typo

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Any updates on why he hasn't been starting? The team did. Well against soton but just wondering if I've missed something 

Cos JRC and Tronstad are playing well and suits each other game. Buckley will play in some games before end of the season

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos JRC and Tronstad are playing well and suits each other game. Buckley will play in some games before end of the season

Yeh those two are a great pivot.

So pleased we have JRC back and bucko gives us depth

5 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Yeh those two are a great pivot.

So pleased we have JRC back and bucko gives us depth

Buckley's technically and ability to find a pass will be needed in some games.  

• Like 3

He has looked inconsistent but is one of the few players we have who want to play it forward.

I wish he didn’t dwell on the ball so much especially in risky situations. As Matty said probably too much of a risk whilst in a relegation fight.

Ayari is probably ahead of him in centre mid as well if Tronstad/JRC drops out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Any updates on why he hasn't been starting? The team did. Well against soton but just wondering if I've missed something 

Did you miss that he is carp? 😉🤣

I think JE (and others before him) don’t really trust Buckley in a 2 in midfield unless we have 5 at the back.

that said, if JRC and Tronstedt are fit then they are first choice on merit imo.