BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

but there is other posters who wanted him out when we were 17th in the league but now have change their mind but you don't single them out tho. 

after 16 games this season we were 18th in the league. Now after 33 games we are 8th in the league. In the last 17 games we have got 32 points and top of the form table with that selected games. Very similar to the time when people wanted Mowbray after 10 games in league 1 before we earned promotion that season. 

As I’ve said, bit of a lack respect from you that 17th, when he’s trying to ‘change the way we play’ as you constantly go on about is a sackable offence! Not much patience and belief in Tony, have you!

I’ve singled you out as you agreed with the article that talked about how daft fans are that wanted him out when he has transformed the club. How we should be able to see the progression. 

It’s fine you’ve changed your mind, but you can’t then pretend you’ve been ‘behind him every season’, and have known he was going to keep improving things, you obviously haven’t if you wanted him sacked earlier this campaign.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

All fair points Dreams. But I just can’t be doing with the hypocrisy of certain posters who now laud the man as transformative for the club and act as if they’ve been bought in to the ‘project’, ‘the journey’, ‘the progression’ for 3 years, when they wanted him gone literally weeks ago.

The journey/project etc? Still a bit of a paradox.

Sure, several young players are making the transition to the first team...On the other hand, we will require a significant overhaul this very summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

The journey/project etc? Still a bit of a paradox.

Sure, several young players are making the transition to the first team...On the other hand, we will require a significant overhaul this very summer.

Will we?

If this current squad is sitting where we are now then the positions I see need filling are: GK, CB and wingers. I wouldn't say that's necessarily a overhaul. I suppose it depends on your definition of overhaul but I'd argue that adding to the squad isn't necessarily overhauling it.

I'd consider an overhaul being what TM did when we dropped to league 1. We saw 19 players arrive between 17 / 18 and similar went the other way.

Last season we had 7 incomings: Downing, Gallagher, Walton, Tosin, Cunningham, Holtby and Johnson with only Raya departing. Would you consider that an overhaul?

I'd say we need about the same, 5 or 6 signings next summer, however we should see more departures with Mulgrew and Smallwood needing shifting. I think 'significant overhaul' is a significant overstatement.

• Like 2

Probably not unusual for a few clubs and an overhaul is better than a rebuilding job.  However i think as we've seen this season it can hold you back whilst they try and find the right formula and try out players, often in different positions. Tony likes an experiment that's for sure.

Where i feel we / he fall down on this compared to some other clubs is working to a real plan and recruiting for that plan and style of play.

Hopefully this summer will be about building on what we have in a determined fashion to start the season with a core style that's been successful the back end of this season. And suits the players we have and ones brought in to fit that style not all start again mix and match.

We say it every summer but this one really will be a benchmark for the near future because there will have to be an outgoing.  Lets hope it isn't 2 or 3 otherwise midtable mediocrity will be being hailed again this time next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Probably not unusual for a few clubs and an overhaul is better than a rebuilding job.  However i think as we've seen this season it can hold you back whilst they try and find the right formula and try out players, often in different positions. Tony likes an experiment that's for sure.

Where i feel we / he fall down on this compared to some other clubs is working to a real plan and recruiting for that plan and style of play.

Hopefully this summer will be about building on what we have in a determined fashion to start the season with a core style that's been successful the back end of this season. And suits the players we have and ones brought in to fit that style not all start again mix and match.

We say it every summer but this one really will be a benchmark for the near future because there will have to be an outgoing.  Lets hope it isn't 2 or 3 otherwise midtable mediocrity will be being hailed again this time next season.

I think it is our push for the playoffs that is being hailed. I think Mowbray has made it clear that signings have to fit in with the ethos that he has installed at the club - be it attitude or playing style. Hence why he was right to refuse to make signings in the transfer window if the players available weren't right.

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Hence why he was right to refuse to make signings in the transfer window if the players available weren't right.

Are you saying he wouldn't have made signings if money had been forthcoming from the owners? Our failure to strengthen was down to lack of funding, not  player availablity

30 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd say we need about the same, 5 or 6 signings next summer, however we should see more departures with Mulgrew and Smallwood needing shifting. I think 'significant overhaul' is a significant overstatement.

I would say we need 2 keeper, back up right back, 2 centre back, 1 left back as I expect Bell will be given a extension, 1 winger and striker. Plus I would re-sign Downing on a year contract

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think it is our push for the playoffs that is being hailed. I think Mowbray has made it clear that signings have to fit in with the ethos that he has installed at the club - be it attitude or playing style. Hence why he was right to refuse to make signings in the transfer window if the players available weren't right.

Mowbray is correct that they have to fit into the club ethos and signings have to be right. I suspect majority of signings this summer will be foreign ones. 

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Are you saying he wouldn't have made signings if money had been forthcoming from the owners? Our failure to strengthen was down to lack of funding, not  player availablity

Didn't Mowbray and Waggott say at the supporters group meeting that extra funding was available from the owners if they asked for it, but they chose not to?

We need probably 7 players this summer which is an eloquent comment on last summer's Transfer Window.

Some of our key players are not our's, some players are getting on and there is poor balance in the squad.

However, we are winning so what do I know?!!

Just now, 47er said:

We need probably 7 players this summer which is an eloquent comment on last summer's Transfer Window.

Some of our key players are not our's, some players are getting on and there is poor balance in the squad.

However, we are winning so what do I know?!!

Use of the loan system is a necessary part of the skill of player recruitment in the Championship and inevitably means that most clubs in this division will face needing to bring in a fair number of players each year. On Saturday West Brom used 3 loan players and Leeds used 4 with another on the bench.

Transfers are a means to an end - improved results on the pitch - not an end in themselves. 

23 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He himself has held up Sheff U, PKE and Brentford in recent times as models to follow, all different models.  I'd grudgingly hold up Dingles of a few years back and Watford are another.

They need to decide which model it is they want to follow, those clubs seem to get around the things that get held up here as excuses. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

He himself has held up Sheff U, PKE and Brentford in recent times as models to follow, all different models.  I'd grudgingly hold up Dingles of a few years back and Watford are another.

They need to decide which model it is they want to follow, those clubs seem to get around the things that get held up here as excuses. 

Crikey - he's had more models than Rod Stewart.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, DE. said:

Didn't Mowbray and Waggott say at the supporters group meeting that extra funding was available from the owners if they asked for it, but they chose not to?

Surely that would depend on what we value the player at and the asking price. for example if we offer 500k for player who is out of contract in the summer but his club wanted 5 times that amount? surely the owners wouldn't agree to it. would you? 

49 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I suspect not

why?

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely that would depend on what we value the player at and the asking price. for example if we offer 500k for player who is out of contract in the summer but his club wanted 5 times that amount? surely the owners wouldn't agree to it. would you? 

That's just fictitious speculation though. We can only go off what was said at the meeting, and what TM/Waggott have always said - that the owners are willing to give them money if it's needed. To take the view that the owners are withholding funding is once again insinuating our manager is an outright liar - which is odd as it's usually those who claim to support him no matter what making these remarks. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

That's just fictitious speculation though. We can only go off what was said at the meeting, and what TM/Waggott have always said - that the owners are willing to give them money if it's needed. To take the view that the owners are withholding funding is once again insinuating our manager is an outright liar - which is odd as it's usually those who claim to support him no matter what making these remarks. 

I'm sure the owners would give Mowbray extra money if Mowbray asked for it but he wont sign players who are too expensive or break our wage structure. 

Like I said I used has an example. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

How many foreign players has Mowbray bought since he's been here? I mean proper foreign, not Holtby.

Rovers have invested money into the European scouting network and bring in head of European scouting Bruno Riberio. Plus listening to what Mowbray has said over the past few weeks that where I expect signings to come from 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I'm sure the owners would give Mowbray extra money if Mowbray asked for it but he wont sign players who are too expensive or break our wage structure. 

Rovers have invested money into the European scouting network and bring in head of European scouting Bruno Riberio. Plus listening to what Mowbray has said over the past few weeks that where I expect signings to come from 

What sort of manager turns down the option of funds to strengthen his squad? Can you imagine Mark Hughes telling the Abu Dhabi group that he didn't want their cash because it might break the wage structure or upset one or two around the place.

A manager works with resources available to him. If it is correct that Venkys have offered money but he has elected not to spend it then that is a very unusual thing to happen.

Imagine if we get to the end of the season and finish 1 point off the top six. Normal owners would be asking why the manager refused or failed to strengthen in January with promotion obviously achievable.

Mowbray must have a very relaxed view about things if he thinks he or we have all the time to turn down transfer cash when in need of more depth.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

What sort of manager turns down the option of funds to strengthen his squad? Can you imagine Mark Hughes telling the Abu Dhabi group that he didn't want their cash because it might break the wage structure or upset one or two around the place.

A manager works with resources available to him. If it is correct that Venkys have offered money but he has elected not to spend it then that is a very unusual thing to happen.

Imagine if we get to the end of the season and finish 1 point off the top six. Normal owners would be asking why the manager refused or failed to strengthen in January with promotion obviously achievable.

Mowbray must have a very relaxed view about things if he thinks he or we have all the time to turn down transfer cash when in need of more depth.

Or maybe the right deal just wasn't there ?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Or maybe the right deal just wasn't there ?

What does that even mean? 

You have your budget, identify attainable players and work on those. You have a plan b, c and d if a doesn't work. Everyone else manages it.

2 years running now we've been told there's plenty of money yet it doesn't materialise, except in odd cases like Brereton.

If a deal was unaffordable e.g. Assombalonga then why bother trying?

Personally I suspect it is just arse covering when the fans question what is happening. Don't think India would be too impressed if Mowbray and Waggott pointed responsibility at their front door. Much easier and more sensible to keep in their good books.

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We're talking about two different things here though. I'm directly refuting the suggestion that funds are being withheld from TM as it doesn't tally up with anything he's said in the past. What you're talking about is his decision to spend the potential extra money available which is a different topic.