BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes, what a bollock that was - Rovers not signing him. It was almost unfair when he was in his prime, it was like 12 playing  against 11.

Was so close to happening too. How different things would have been 

2002 still gets me. Should have bet Spain and would have had South Korea in the quarter final then. I'm sure Park ji-sun would have instilled serious fear in the team about Keane 🤣🤣🤣 Duff was flying it too. 

Ah football and they joys of supporting Rovers and Ireland. 

Hopefully get something to be positive about someday. Rovers will have to do a lot of that heavy lifting I fear 

I'm back to reading " Inverting The Pyramid " again. It's a book about the evolution of football tactics basically. One of the famous managers in the book reckoned three years was about the optimum at any one club before things started to go stale and the players began to get tired of your voice.   Usually he'd fallen out with enough of them by that time so they didn't like him as a manager any longer and that showed in their performances.

He reckoned the two alternatives then were 1)  Leave. 2) Get a new squad of players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm back to reading " Inverting The Pyramid " again. It's a book about the evolution of football tactics basically. One of the famous managers in the book reckoned three years was about the optimum at any one club before things started to go stale and the players began to get tired of your voice.   Usually he'd fallen out with enough of them by that time so they didn't like him as a manager any longer and that showed in their performances.

He reckoned the two alternatives then were 1)  Leave. 2) Get a new squad of players.

As the top managers have shown. How many teams did Fergie have? 

Tried that book,but found it tough going. The writing is tiny. Was interesting though 

We should try the 8 player upfront formation that they used back in the early days 🤣

Any “ manager “ who selects a centre back partnership of Lenihan and Williams ....( leaving out Ayala )

Any “manager “ who signs 2 left backs called Bell and Douglas...

Any “ manager “ who is about to have his eighth window 

Any “ manager “ who constantly selected Bennett before Nyambe

Any “ manager “ who plays Gallagher wide left

Any “ manager “ who only selected Travis because Evans was red carded

Any “ manager “ who needs this “ slow build “

would be at best mid / lower table  ....that’s why we are where we are .....and managers who don’t operate like Mowbray are where they are . 

Whilst he remains at Ewood we are what we are ....a mirror of him.....nice team, no conviction, taking our time ...bumbling along .

Edited by Dolly blue
  • Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

As the top managers have shown. How many teams did Fergie have? 

Tried that book,but found it tough going. The writing is tiny. Was interesting though 

We should try the 8 player upfront formation that they used back in the early days 🤣

I've got this fancy gadget matey. It's called " a pair of reading glasses ". Sounds like you should invest in pair. I could read great without them until I was about 60. Now I need them for reading all the time. It can happen pretty rapidly . Did you get the hard back version ? I've got another, similar, one " Called Flat Back Four " by Andy Gray. That's interesting.

16 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Probably not but who knows? Pick the phone up and beg the question, any decent CEO worth his/her salt would. If they say no, just cross them off the list and move on. During the conversation, they may say no but leave inklings in the conversation that lead you to believe that they possibly could be persuaded. You then work on it until you're enquiry has completely run out of steam and reluctantly accept that you have tried but been unsuccessful.

Are you for really? There is zero chance of coming here. Dont need to even ask them. No CEO of a championship is going to ringing Pochettino up. 

18 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Remember Jack Walker? (rhetorical question) He had that type of attitude and approach and was extremely successful as you know (pfft, Kenny Dalglish, no chance!)

That's was 30 years ago. Rovers could outbid most clubs back then. Now is very different times with Premier League money around in Money in England. 

20 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

If in your opinion, you're happy with how things are going, then fine your entitled to your view. 

I am happy with Mowbray as manager. I would give him this season with this squad. Then review at the end of the season. 

If you want a change of manager then that's your opinion and nothing wrong with that opinion. I do feel you need to be realistic with who Rovers could appoint. Would Mark Hughes manage in Championship? I dont know. Maybe look at Steve Cooper at Swansea or Lee Bowyer at Charlton or Mark Robin's at Coventry are far more realistic choices in my opinion. Foriegn options I can't suggest as I dont follow like I did 10 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've got this fancy gadget matey. It's called " a pair of reading glasses ". Sounds like you should invest in pair. I could read great without them until I was about 60. Now I need them for reading all the time. It can happen pretty rapidly . Did you get the hard back version ? I've got another, similar, one " Called Flat Back Four " by Andy Gray. That's interesting.

I have them for the computer,but stopped wearing them. It's fine normally ,but I'm telling ya,the text is tiny 🤣 it's the softcover version. I usually use Kindle or Audible. 

Actually just checked there,it's on Audible. Over 18 hours and narrated by Damien Lynch, who also narrated many action fiction books. I would be interested to hear this performance 🤣. I must go back to it.

Actually not sure if discussed where, but did you watch the Netflix show with Rovers in it? Heavily sanitized I would say,but cool to see Rovers on it. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are you for really? There is zero chance of coming here. Dont need to even ask them. No CEO of a championship is going to ringing Pochettino up. 

That's was 30 years ago. Rovers could outbid most clubs back then. Now is very different times with Premier League money around in Money in England. 

I am happy with Mowbray as manager. I would give him this season with this squad. Then review at the end of the season. 

If you want a change of manager then that's your opinion and nothing wrong with that opinion. I do feel you need to be realistic with who Rovers could appoint. Would Mark Hughes manage in Championship? I dont know. Maybe look at Steve Cooper at Swansea or Lee Bowyer at Charlton or Mark Robin's at Coventry are far more realistic choices in my opinion. Foriegn options I can't suggest as I dont follow like I did 10 years ago. 

"Aim for The Moon, even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars!"

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have them for the computer,but stopped wearing them. It's fine normally ,but I'm telling ya,the text is tiny 🤣 it's the softcover version. I usually use Kindle or Audible. 

Actually just checked there,it's on Audible. Over 18 hours and narrated by Damien Lynch, who also narrated many action fiction books. I would be interested to hear this performance 🤣. I must go back to it.

Actually not sure if discussed where, but did you watch the Netflix show with Rovers in it? Heavily sanitized I would say,but cool to see Rovers on it. 

Ah well,  I've got the hardback version. How do they describe the diagrams on " Audible " ? No I didn't see the Netflix show.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ah well,  I've got the hardback version. How do they describe the diagrams on " Audible " ? No I didn't see the Netflix show.

There is an Appendix with all that stuff in it on PDF. 

It's very santitized. The players are based off historical evidence, but they certainly use artistic licence. I watched for like maybe 2 episodes after Rovers came into it. 

2 hours ago, unleaded said:

If he can’t see Lenihan is a crap defender after 3/4 years and brings him straight back in after the player got sent off and costing us a spot kick no wonder we are in this mess...

He would be on my sub bench .. his list of howlers over the years is a mile long ...

Mowbray is living off his West Brom days .... Terrible Manager with an average back rooom coaches ...

IMO, our coaching staff are 4th rate and significantly less than average.

I very, very much doubt any other Championship club would employ Venus, Lowe and Benson in the same capacity as what they are at Ewood.

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

IMO, our coaching staff are 4th rate and significantly less than average.

I very, very much doubt any other Championship club would employ Venus, Lowe and Benson in the same capacity as what they are at Ewood.

This all plays into things of course. 

Venus ,to be fair, probably would get a job somewhere else. 

Lowehad a decent enough career going off his Wikipedia. I'm a bit shocked actually 🤣

Benson, ok he looks a bit amateur. Is he a local lad?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Roy Keane would be lying down in a darkened room after a bad loss.  I remember Roy Keane playing like two men in that Champions League semi final when he already knew he was suspended from the final. That was the measure of the bloke. He didn't just give 100% that night he gave 150%.

A winning mentality that, IMO, Mowbray simply does not have.

A winning mentality is contagious and all embracing - no one wants to let the side down and woe betide anyone who does.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It comes from a pal who was a Darlington fan. Their deadly rivals are Hartlepools who are known as the " Monkey Hangers "  in Darlo because allegedly they hung a monkey back in the day thinking it was a French spy. My pal called them " The Chimp Chokers ", so I just borrowed it.

I once spent three days on a job in Hartlepool and without being unfair, I found the folk generally to be a bit of a strange lot - I will diplomatically leave it there.

6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Does anyone think any of the following would be an upgrade on Tony Mowbray?

David Wagner, Eddie Howe, Danny Cowley, Gus Poyet, Marco Silva, Mark Hughes, Maurizio Pochettino, Maurizio Sarri, Nigel Pearson, Sam Allardyce, Bruno Lage, Ernesto Valverde, Leonardo Jardim and Massimiliano Allegri.

They are all managers of decent quality and ALL are currently out of work. We could really set the cat amongst the pigeons and give a disgruntled Shaun Dyche a call. Any decent CEO or club owner would be sounding this lot out.

All food for thought.

I mean there’s a couple of names there who’d probably come here but some of them jesus stay off the strong stuff pal I think your head might actually be gone 😂

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not that simple. Lenihan won 9 aerial duels against Millwall and was generally really good. 

It's funny who defenders mistakes are very clearly labeled mistakes, but our forwards missing chances or making the wrong passes rarely are, unless it's extreme like Armstrong's ridiculous attempts to take shots on from everywhere. 

In these tight games, we need to take chances. We can't rely on the defence to keep everything out and then just look to blame them when we lose. We are an attacking side,so the defence don't always get the cover they need. People shouldn't forget that. 

To be fair, the main reason that the defence is repeatedly criticised is that it has been the primary source of our failings/losses since we came up. Our attack has the 2nd most goals in the league, our defensive record is the 15th best.

You mention the cover thing which is a fair point. Considering that the squad of players this season is seemingly the best one that Mowbray has had, yet we are achieving identical results with it whilst playing expansive football, maybe that suggests that the current style doesnt totally suit the players we have or that it exposes our weaknesses?

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They are all at it though. 

Also,to be fair, anyone who follows him on Instagram will probably see the goal in some capacity anyway. He has shared it almost 10 times on his story since yesterday. I just wonder are players happier them scoring , or us winning 

He is young though, so I'm not singling him out, more that it's the most recent example. 

Anyway, I think they should be banned from the dressing room, at a minimum. 

What should be banned? All social media?

Harvey Elliott should be waving his willy about on concert square right now, if u think him loving scoring a goal, at 17, for a club of our magnitude aint right, then I really do despair!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, the main reason that the defence is repeatedly criticised is that it has been the primary source of our failings/losses since we came up. Our attack has the 2nd most goals in the league, our defensive record is the 15th best.

You mention the cover thing which is a fair point. Considering that the squad of players this season is seemingly the best one that Mowbray has had, yet we are achieving identical results with it whilst playing expansive football, maybe that suggests that the current style doesnt totally suit the players we have or that it exposes our weaknesses?

We have the second most in the league,but should we have more? We are creating a huge amount of chances that aren't being finished. 

Well that's the big question,isn't it? Things are functioning well upfront to a point,but we are missing a lot of chances. I think we certainly have a better keeper than last year and Wharton/Lenihan looked decent. Wharton is loss now. Who is the best from those 3 remaining for the 2 CB spots? 

6 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

What should be banned? All social media?

Harvey Elliott should be waving his willy about on concert square right now, if u think him loving scoring a goal, at 17, for a club of our magnitude aint right, then I really do despair!

Phones should be banned from the dressing room

Well I hope he does that ,but I doubt he will. Just make sure it doesn't end up on social media anyway 

33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This all plays into things of course. 

Venus ,to be fair, probably would get a job somewhere else. 

Lowehad a decent enough career going off his Wikipedia. I'm a bit shocked actually 🤣

Benson, ok he looks a bit amateur. Is he a local lad?

I've based my opinions on what I've seen at Brockhall and wherever else academy teams and Rovers have played.  I find it extremely interesting watching our coaching staff both pre match and also during the game and I've not been impressed with this lot! 

I think Venus would struggle to get a job independently of Mowbray - he's always followed Mowbray around and I think succeeded him in a small number of games in a caretaker capacity.  IMO, he's not had the ambition or drive to 'go it alone' or do 'something else' without Mowbray.

Think Lowe's been around Rovers for about 10 years or so and I've always thought him to be an uninspiring individual whether it be in the academy or with the first team.

As for Benson, I don't think he's ever played the game professionally and I think he first got involved at Carlisle in 'Football in the Community' and Kinder brought him to Rovers about five years ago.  IMO, he's out of his depth and thought there was a credibility issue with Raya based on what I saw in pre match and half time routines.  Terry Gennoe and Bobby Mimms were respected goalkeeper coaches in the game having both played consistently well at a high level in the game - enough said. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Butty said:

I mean there’s a couple of names there who’d probably come here but some of them jesus stay off the strong stuff pal I think your head might actually be gone 😂

I said it to emphasise a point 🙄. They're all out of work currently and who knows?

Sales, procurement, financial and operational senior management tends to teach you a trick or two. 😀

Just taken the top off a rather nice IPA in a silver can from Lidl, first of the day! If you like IPA's, I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I've based my opinions on what I've seen at Brockhall and wherever else academy teams and Rovers have played.  I find it extremely interesting watching our coaching staff both pre match and also during the game and I've not been impressed with this lot! 

I think Venus would struggle to get a job independently of Mowbray - he's always followed Mowbray around and I think succeeded him in a small number of games in a caretaker capacity.  IMO, he's not had the ambition or drive to 'go it alone' or do 'something else' without Mowbray.

Think Lowe's been around Rovers for about 10 years or so and I've always thought him to be an uninspiring individual whether it be in the academy or with the first team.

As for Benson, I don't think he's ever played the game professionally and I think he first got involved at Carlisle in 'Football in the Community' and Kinder brought him to Rovers about five years ago.  IMO, he's out of his depth and thought there was a credibility issue with Raya based on what I saw in pre match and half time routines.  Terry Gennoe and Bobby Mimms were respected goalkeeper coaches in the game having both played consistently well at a high level in the game.  Enough said. 

Spot on Mercer, those are my experiences and thoughts generally too.

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As for Benson, I don't think he's ever played the game professionally and I think he first got involved at Carlisle in 'Football in the Community' and Kinder brought him to Rovers about five years ago.  IMO, he's out of his depth and thought there was a credibility issue with Raya based on what I saw in pre match and half time routines.  Terry Gennoe and Bobby Mimms were respected goalkeeper coaches in the game having both played consistently well at a high level in the game.  Enough said. 

Interesting. 

Ya,you might be right about Venus. Although there are plenty of loyal number 2s

Have you met Lowe in person? 

Ya, Mimms was good. Did you see Raya rebelling?