BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Does anyone think any of the following would be an upgrade on Tony Mowbray?

David Wagner, Eddie Howe, Gus Poyet, Marco Silva, Mark Hughes, Maurizio Pochettino, Maurizio Sarri, Nigel Pearson, Sam Allardyce, Bruno Lage, Ernesto Valverde, Leonardo Jardim and Massimiliano Allegri.

I dont see any of above names coming here. Some of very unrealistic like Pochettino, Allegri, Sarri, Valverde, Jardim arent ever coming here in a month of Sundays 

Silva wont drop to Championship. 

Pearson had chance to here before and didnt come. 

Some others down to the wages we paid for managers. 

4 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Exactly. Reading and Barnsley showing what a competent CEO can do with a few contacts on the continent and a bit of nous.

Reading's owners are very close to agent who got their current manager in. 

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

I bet Dirty Leeds' fans all thought Marcello Bielsa? nah, we've no chance of attracting him to Elland Road, you're having a laugh!

Look at how much Leeds paid to attract Bielsa? Wasnt around 6 million pounds? Do you Rovers doing this realistic? 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If things keep following the same pattern, as i expect they will, then come January there'll be a lot more concern.

It's just general modern day guff, 10 games - Christmas - Window - till the end of the season. 

Truth is we are following the usual route under this regime so at some point we'll need a hell of a turnaround again.

Nah we'll scrape one, lose a couple due to a stupid team selection or terrible defending and draw one. And that's all he needs to do.

forever-and-ever-and-ever-and-ever.jpg.9878d83f3208751706eea8d92810e386.jpg

• Like 1

it`s all to cosy at brockhall and ewood,everyone content with their lot,no pressure on them imo,i certainly don`t see much hunger on the field.Thats why we lose to decent sides,they want it more than us,ok,you`ll see the flashy performances against the also rans but thats only because they have the same mindset as us,against teams out for promotion or teams who fight against possible relegation we are always second best because they want it more,simple as

• Like 5

Agree with that the good teams aren't just where they are because of a few better players or bigger budgets alone.

They have to combine it with back to back desire and graft and have that drive to succeed running through the whole club. It's clearly missing all too often at Rovers, that genuine belief and desire can carry you a long way. Beyond ability sometimes, they need to match that desire to win with the same one they showed not to lose at Brentford.

It only shows itself one in a while though here, you've got to really want it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s all to cosy at brockhall and ewood,everyone content with their lot,no pressure on them imo,i certainly don`t see much hunger on the field.Thats why we lose to decent sides,they want it more than us,ok,you`ll see the flashy performances against the also rans but thats only because they have the same mindset as us,against teams out for promotion or teams who fight against possible relegation we are always second best because they want it more,simple as

Someone once said if games were 45 minutes we'd be up near the top and they were right. We play when we want and switch off randomly, a sure sign of a lack of pressure in the dressing room and the manager having no pressure himself. It's interesting how suddently we'll get a very good performance after a bad run leading to a mini spell where we look capable of challenging, then we'll go back to square one.

Mowbray only seems to wake up and do anything if it looks like he's losing face. Up till then he's laid back and happy to let things slide, till he has to put a shift in and then get the team motivated again to stay out of the headlines.

Not exactly Tony Mowbray related,but does anyone else think our players are on social media sharing shite too much after defeats? 

So many of them do it. It annoys me to be honest. Young Elliott is flat out on it. Not singling him out ,but as an example, if we lose, should he share his goal numerous times on his Instagram story? I know he's an extreme example, but would Roy Keane share a goal he scored if the team lost? Like sometimes they literally share from the changing room after the game. I dunno, I just think they should be focusing on other things after losing 

• Like 3

If he can’t see Lenihan is a crap defender after 3/4 years and brings him straight back in after the player got sent off and costing us a spot kick no wonder we are in this mess...

He would be on my sub bench .. his list of howlers over the years is a mile long ...

Mowbray is living off his West Brom days .... Terrible Manager with an average back rooom coaches ...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, unleaded said:

If he can’t see Lenihan is a crap defender after 3/4 years and brings him straight back in after the player got sent off and costing us a spot kick no wonder we are in this mess...

He would be on my sub bench .. his list of howlers over the years is a mile long ...

Mowbray is living off his West Brom days .... Terrible Manager with an average back rooom coaches ...

It's not that simple. Lenihan won 9 aerial duels against Millwall and was generally really good. 

It's funny who defenders mistakes are very clearly labeled mistakes, but our forwards missing chances or making the wrong passes rarely are, unless it's extreme like Armstrong's ridiculous attempts to take shots on from everywhere. 

In these tight games, we need to take chances. We can't rely on the defence to keep everything out and then just look to blame them when we lose. We are an attacking side,so the defence don't always get the cover they need. People shouldn't forget that. 

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not exactly Tony Mowbray related,but does anyone else think our players are on social media sharing shite too much after defeats? 

So many of them do it. It annoys me to be honest. Young Elliott is flat out on it. Not singling him out ,but as an example, if we lose, should he share his goal numerous times on his Instagram story? I know he's an extreme example, but would Roy Keane share a goal he scored if the team lost? Like sometimes they literally share from the changing room after the game. I dunno, I just think they should be focusing on other things after losing 

He's 17 years old, of course he's going to be buzzing his little head off scoring a peach of a goal against the league leaders, I don't see any issue whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

He's 17 years old, of course he's going to be buzzing his little head off scoring a peach of a goal against the league leaders, I don't see any issue whatsoever. 

They are all at it though. 

Also,to be fair, anyone who follows him on Instagram will probably see the goal in some capacity anyway. He has shared it almost 10 times on his story since yesterday. I just wonder are players happier them scoring , or us winning 

He is young though, so I'm not singling him out, more that it's the most recent example. 

Anyway, I think they should be banned from the dressing room, at a minimum. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's funny who defenders mistakes are very clearly labeled mistakes, but our forwards missing chances or making the wrong passes rarely are, unless it's extreme like Armstrong's ridiculous attempts to take shots on from everywhere. 

Yes because the like of Brereton and Gallagher have never received any criticism for their scoring records, have they.

37 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Glad you've highlighted that as that make do attitude is what hes ingrained into half the fanbase. Therefore it's accepted, it's a given, yet if they'd got in another type of manager at some point it's likely that Lenihen, Williams and Bell would either be history or where they should be as 3 rd choice back ups to a better set of defenders.

We need more than players who are 'ok' we need better than 'ok' if we are to get anywhere.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont see any of above names coming here. Some of very unrealistic like Pochettino, Allegri, Sarri, Valverde, Jardim arent ever coming here in a month of Sundays 

Silva wont drop to Championship. 

Pearson had chance to here before and didnt come. 

Some others down to the wages we paid for managers. 

Reading's owners are very close to agent who got their current manager in. 

Look at how much Leeds paid to attract Bielsa? Wasnt around 6 million pounds? Do you Rovers doing this realistic? 

You must be extremely well connected chaddy to know so much about everyone and everything.

If one just assumes everything without even checking, without ever sticking one's toe in the water and being brave, then one will achieve very little.

Give the theory a whirl one day, when you automatically assume a negative, you never know it could just turn to be a positive, an absolute master stroke!

• Like 3

Tyrone's post is a good one. Mowbray is a symptom, not the cause.

I think he is a competent unspectacular manager, yet he doesn't seem to have the spark to get Rovers to push on. 

Nobody on here knows what his marching orders are though. He may have told Venkys that it will take 5+ years to get everything ready to get promoted and they are happy to sign off on it.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lad's 17 BigDog, he was thrilled to bits last Christmas with his train set and Buzz Lightyear too, give him a break.

I agree with your general comment though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

You must be extremely well connected chaddy to know so much about everyone and everything.

If one just assumes everything without even checking, without ever sticking one's toe in the water and being brave, then one will achieve very little.

Give the theory a whirl one day, when you automatically assume a negative, you never know it could just turn to be a positive, an absolute master stroke!

What Leeds paid Bielsa was in media. 

Reading owners connections to an agent are in public domain. 

Rovers interested in Pearson post Bowyer was reported in the media at the time. 

Do you really think Rovers could attract Pochettino or Allergi here? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Roy Keane would be lying down in a darkened room after a bad loss.  I remember Roy Keane playing like two men in that Champions League semi final when he already knew he was suspended from the final. That was the measure of the bloke. He didn't just give 100% that night he gave 150%.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

When you get to the point were you can't pay the bills even " unattractive " jobs have their pluses. If you wait around for too long in football management you can get left behind and out of the loop. Mark Hughes is in danger of falling into that bracket. We don't know who would fancy the job until it becomes vacant. There's a lot to like about managing Rovers at the moment. Expectations are very low for a start.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Roy Keane would be lying down in a darkened room after a bad loss.  I remember Roy Keane playing like two men in that Champions League semi final when he already knew he was suspended from the final. That was the measure of the bloke. He didn't just give 100% that night he gave 150%.

He probably would be locked in there cos everybody would be scared to meet him 🤣

Ya, that was amazing. Many would have dropped the head and sulked,but he actually upped his game. 

He had a similar performance when Ireland bet the Netherlands to reach the 2002 world cup. He clattered Overmars immediately from kick off. The 2002 world cup all went very smoothly after that 🤣🤣 Again though, it was his standards that led to that fall out. One of the most debated sagas in Irish history. I have seen lads almost come to blows over that debate. I am sure some actually have. I just wish he f**king stayed. 

I would actually love to see him roll up here for a few months til the end of the season. Probably wouldn't work long term, but I think he could get a big reaction from these players. Imagine the midfielders knowing they are playing for him. Be no cutting corners anyway, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When you get to the point were you can't pay the bills even " unattractive " jobs have their pluses. If you wait around for too long in football management you can get left behind and out of the loop. Mark Hughes is in danger of falling into that bracket. We don't know who would fancy the job until it becomes vacant. There's a lot to like about managing Rovers at the moment. Expectations are very low for a start.

there is`nt that much wrong that a decent manager could`nt put right,thats the attraction for sure

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He probably would be locked in there cos everybody would be scared to meet him 🤣

Ya, that was amazing. Many would have dropped the head and sulked,but he actually upped his game. 

He had a similar performance when Ireland bet the Netherlands to reach the 2002 world cup. He clattered Overmars immediately from kick off. The 2002 world cup all went very smoothly after that 🤣🤣 Again though, it was his standards that led to that fall out. One of the most debated sagas in Irish history. I have seen lads almost come to blows over that debate. I am sure some actually have. I just wish he f**king stayed. 

I would actually love to see him roll up here for a few months til the end of the season. Probably wouldn't work long term, but I think he could get a big reaction from these players. Imagine the midfielders knowing they are playing for him. Be no cutting corners anyway, that's for sure. 

Yes, what a bollock that was - Rovers not signing him. It was almost unfair when he was in his prime, it was like 12 playing  against 11.

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you really think Rovers could attract Pochettino or Allergi here? 

Probably not but who knows? Pick the phone up and beg the question, any decent CEO worth his/her salt would. If they say no, just cross them off the list and move on. During the conversation, they may say no but leave inklings in the conversation that lead you to believe that they possibly could be persuaded. You then work on it until you're enquiry has completely run out of steam and reluctantly accept that you have tried but been unsuccessful.

Remember Jack Walker? (rhetorical question) He had that type of attitude and approach and was extremely successful as you know (pfft, Kenny Dalglish, no chance!)

We either accept the current approach, general malaise, mediocrity and general, all round averageness, nonsense spouted through the media or we strive to improve and get better. It may be ok for you but it's not for me and countless other Rovers' fans either. If in your opinion, you're happy with how things are going, then fine your entitled to your view. 

I think Mowbray has done a decent job, he has, attracted some decent players but he's treading water now, as is the club. As I've said previously it's time to thank him for his efforts, wish him well and appoint someone else who IS CAPABLE of getting a more productive tune consistently, out of the squad of players that we have.

I know I'm far from alone in thinking this way.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I bet Dirty Leeds' fans all thought Marcello Bielsa? nah, we've no chance of attracting him to Elland Road, you're having a laugh!

Somebody had the foresight to ignore the nay sayers, demonstrate true leadership and the rest is history. You have to try, we were PL Champions of England 25 years ago, steeped in history and success, we're an attractive proposition still IMO. I highlighted a few posts above, a list of brilliant potential managerial candidates that would cost zilch in terms of compensation. You only have to pick the phone up and ask the question and if the answer is no, then we've lost nothing.

We have the 'chicken chokers' (as Tyrone says, it makes me laugh every time I see it) holding the purse strings and our under-achieving gaffer's mate as CEO. That's the real problem and until we have a board with a much bigger level of independent empowerment, I fear not much is going to change for the better.

It comes from a pal who was a Darlington fan. Their deadly rivals are Hartlepools who are known as the " Monkey Hangers "  in Darlo because allegedly they hung a monkey back in the day thinking it was a French spy. My pal called them " The Chimp Chokers ", so I just borrowed it.

• Like 1