BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Says who?

I'll leave it there chaddy, you can't just grasp even an element of what I'm trying to say. No surprises I suppose.

(Head, brick, wall)

Cos they are well above Championship level and we would never afford their wages. 

Keep on dreaming if it makes you feel better. 

Most of those names you suggested were very unrealistic and never coming here in a month of Sundays. 

I gave a couple of sensible and realistic suggestions 

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont like the idea of Damien Johnson taking over when Mowbray does go. A rookie from within to take over from a long lasting manager when it is finally decided that things have gotten a little too stagnant doesnt seem particularly logical to me.

I'm not against the idea of a club promoting from within - plenty of clubs have done it - most of which don't work out but some do. Off the top of my head Parker has done a decent job at Fulham, Holden is doing ok at Bristol City, Monk did quite well at Swansea, and Gary Bowyer here - but in the main they don't work out. See Southgate at Boro, Woodgate at Boro, Carver at Newcastle, Wassall at Derby, 

It can be a good route to go down if there is someone obviously deserving of a crack at it.

Sadly I don't have the confidence that we would be following such a plan here. If we gave it to Johnson it would simply be to avoid the aggravation and expense of bringing in a new coaching team, which we know from experience these goons are reluctant to do. Kean inherited the rump of Allardyce's staff, Berg had to work with them left over, Bowyer worked with existing staff already at the club promoted up, Lambert was able to bring his own team in, Coyle was expected to work with Lambert's team before they jumped ship elsewhere and Mowbray has had to work with Lowe and Benson since his arrival.

Who behind the scenes is qualified to judge whether Johnson is ready or not? Nobody from what i can see. The remit here is to keep a happy camp, avoid unnecessary expense and ideally get a manager willing to toe the party line. These aren't reasons to give it to Johnson but will be the reasons he inevitably gets a shot at it. 

Cut corners - get nowhere in this game.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont like the idea of Damien Johnson taking over when Mowbray does go. A rookie from within to take over from a long lasting manager when it is finally decided that things have gotten a little too stagnant doesnt seem particularly logical to me.

I hear what you say, but it didn’t do Liverpool any harm when Dalglish took over.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

And most well out reach of Blackburn Rovers. 

This is what I don't understand. A bad manager can lose you more games than a bad goalkeeper, a poor defence, shot shy strikers, anything on the pitch you care to name. So why is it we're prepared to spend £7million on an apprentice striker yet when we come to the most important role in the whole of the club - the team manager - we want to do it on the cheap ?

I just don't get that at all.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not against the idea of a club promoting from within - plenty of clubs have done it - most of which don't work out but some do. Off the top of my head Parker has done a decent job at Fulham, Holden is doing ok at Bristol City, Monk did quite well at Swansea, and Gary Bowyer here - but in the main they don't work out. See Southgate at Boro, Woodgate at Boro, Carver at Newcastle, Wassall at Derby, 

It can be a good route to go down if there is someone obviously deserving of a crack at it.

Sadly I don't have the confidence that we would be following such a plan here. If we gave it to Johnson it would simply be to avoid the aggravation and expense of bringing in a new coaching team, which we know from experience these goons are reluctant to do. Kean inherited the rump of Allardyce's staff, Berg had to work with them left over, Bowyer worked with existing staff already at the club promoted up, Lambert was able to bring his own team in, Coyle was expected to work with Lambert's team before they jumped ship elsewhere and Mowbray has had to work with Lowe and Benson since his arrival.

Who behind the scenes is qualified to judge whether Johnson is ready or not? Nobody from what i can see. The remit here is to keep a happy camp, avoid unnecessary expense and ideally get a manager willing to toe the party line. These aren't reasons to give it to Johnson but will be the reasons he inevitably gets a shot at it. 

Cut corners - get nowhere in this game.

I had some dealings with Damien Johnson a couple of years ago. He's a relatively nice, if not strange, sort of a character. He is however frightened of his own shadow and totally unsuited to the role of manager. I'm a reasonable judge of spotting potential in folk and being able to pigeon-hole them into a position that reflects and suits their specific, individual strengths and weaknesses.

I would place a definite cross through Damien Johnson's name as a candidate for the job of 1st Team Manager at BRFC. Having said that, knowing our lot, he'll probably be installed the week after next!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

This is what I don't understand. A bad manager can lose you more games than a bad goalkeeper, a poor defence, shot shy strikers, anything on the pitch you care to name. So why is it we're prepared to spend £7million on an apprentice striker yet when we come to the most important role in the whole of the club - the team manager - we want to do it on the cheap ?

I just don't get that at all.

How do we do it on cheap? 

Do we know what the average Championship manager wage is? Do we know what Mowbray is on salary wise? 

Unless we know this how can say Rovers do it on cheap? 

Do.you really think we attract and paid the wages of some of the names Darren suggested like Pochettino, Allergi, Sarri, Varlarde? These are managers who have coach some of the best sides in Europe? 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How do we do it on cheap? 

Do we know what the average Championship manager wage is? Do we know what Mowbray is on salary wise? 

Unless we know this how can say Rovers do it on cheap? 

Do.you really think we attract and paid the wages of some of the names Darren suggested like Pochettino, Allergi, Sarri, Varlarde? These are managers who have coach some of the best sides in Europe? 

How many managers would say no to the sort of money we spent on Brereton ?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you know what the average Championship manager wage is? Do you know what Mowbray is on salary wise?

So if you(and I) dont know then how you.post we do on the cheap

The point you seem to be missing is - if we paid more, like Leeds have done for example , we could get a better class of manager. I would have thought that was obvious.

If your manager isn't the highest paid employee at the club I think you're making a mistake. Do you think Mowbray is our highest paid employee ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The point you seem to be missing is - if we paid more, like Leeds have done for example , we could get a better class of manager. I would have thought that was obvious.

If your manager isn't the highest paid employee at the club I think you're making a mistake. Do you think Mowbray is our highest paid employee ?

I don't know. 

Look at Reading. For the last 3-4 years they've been something of a basket case club. They had Jaap Stam who did a good job in getting them to the play-off final where they lost on penalties and then never really recovered from it (a reminder for all those who consider 6th to be the holy grail that it means very little if you lose in the final at Wembley). When they were beaten in the play-off final we had been relegated to League One. Since then we've supposedly done things the right way whilst by Mowbray's manual they've done it the wrong way with a high turnover in staff and players and dodging FFP rules, yet here they are looking down on us.

After Stam went they've worked their way through Paul Clement, Jose Gomes, Mark Bowen and now Veljko Paunovic in the space of only a few years and have spent most of that time in the bottom half looking over their shoulders at relegation. 

Mark Bowen did a steady job last season results wise, collecting enough to steer them comfortably away from trouble to a mid-table finish. But that wasn't enough. It would have been very easy for their owners and directors to applaud Bowen and give him the time he had earned to see how he got on in the job. But they had other ideas and set about taking a different route and harshly/ruthlessly got rid of Bowen and immediately appointed Paunovic. This was a risky strategy, carried out whilst results under Bowen were reasonable and in the midst of the pandemic with the new season rapidly approaching. But they did their homework, found someone out there in the big wide world who they liked and thought would fit. 

A few short months later they have been in the top 6 all season and are fighting for a top 2 spot. Now maybe it won't last and maybe they will fall away and maybe we will end up finishing above them. But at the time of writing they've been above us all season and have spent more time in the top 6 this season than we have under Mowbray in nearly 3 seasons. 

No 4 year projects, no emotional decisions, no slow build. Just make a ruthless decision for the good of the club, get shut of one bloke and before you do scour the globe for the right man for what you are looking for. 

So what if his agent is mates with their owner. It hasn't done Wolves much harm. Infact most decisions these days have agent links in them. Just because we were handed on a silver platter to dodgy people by our owners doesn't mean that all transactions involving agents are bad or to be avoided. That sort of mentality will see us end up like Oyston's Blackpool only dealing with personal friends of the manager.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

Post Norwich and when justifying the loss, Mowbray said:

*We’re on a journey.

*We were in League One only two-and-a-half years ago.

*We played against a team who were in the Premier League last season.

In isolation all those statements are true .........

How easily we  some can be deceived by the power of words in the mouth of the guileful

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 6

Tony spouting utter bollocks in the LT, again;

"But I’m a performance related coach and the performance was alright, yet I’m still frustrated with the team." 

People can't fall for this utter shit. Playing 'well' and returning the same amount of points as the previous two years isn't in any way acceptable given the fact he hasn't had to sell a single player and been given money to invest in the squad. Frankly your 'performance' has been bang average, Tony. 

"They’re not Premier League footballers, they’re trying to get better, but we do make mistakes and we do make bad decisions at times." 

Not only is this removing any blame from himself he's also telling the whole squad they're not at the standard of the league we're trying to get promoted to. How fucking thick is this guy? Boils my piss it really does. 

" But we still created chances against the team top of the league, had 20 shots at their goal, and the journey we’re on is hopefully going to be exciting from now until the end of the season." 

Classic Tony, self preservation mode 101. I can see through your bullshit Tony. My only solace is that the more he spouts this shit the more I hope he feels that he has to say it, as he's getting some kind of pressure to perform from above. 

• Like 7

It's just his typical midtable mid season spiel.

The 'performance related coach' bit stands out as does his obvious nature of being player related as well.  It's a results business and results are what you need to climb leagues and stay there.

Now tell me again what the priorities really are at Ewood ?

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's just his typical midtable mid season spiel.

The 'performance related coach' bit stands out as does his obvious nature of being player related as well.  It's a results business and results are what you need to climb leagues and stay there.

Now tell me again what the priorities really are at Ewood ?

Mediocrity, with a mere sniff of a bit of success every now and then. Keeps everything rolling along quite nicely and ToMo, Swag, Venus, Lowe & Benson in a cushy, well paid job!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1