BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Passing ability

We have had some good passers of the ball over the years - Tugay, Cairney even Holtby now to name just a few, but who is in your opinion the worst one?

I am struggling to pick one between Lenihan and Gallagher but Id probably go with Lenihan just because of all them miss kicked passes that he has made when chasing a goal in the stoppage time of our games this season.

Either way, how can both be so bad at passing the ball is beyond me.

Can someone provide some statistics or something?

6 hours ago, skous18 said:

I am struggling to pick one between Lenihan and Gallagher but Id probably go with Lenihan just because of all them miss kicked passes that he has made when chasing a goal in the stoppage time of our games this season.

I actually thought Lenihan's passing is okay, probably almost 90% successful rate since he passes only to Branthwaite, Nyambe or Kaminski. His passing heatmap to these 3 is probably lava red.

It's his long punts upfield that irritates me. He thinks he's a Gerrard or Becks. If he keeps things simple at the back, he's quite a solid defender. I was critical of him throughout the season, but he was much improved in January.

As for Gallagher, his first touch is often horrible. If he manages to pass it to someone (in blue), i think its considered very good. Don't have much expectations of him to be honest. He provides some height, good workrate, can run (in straight lines on the flanks), probably thats about it. Cant think of much attributes. Oh, he seems like a nice person too.

The thing with Gallaghers passing being so dreadful is he's literally trying to play short balls through for Armstrong 9 times out of 10 and he still can't even master that. Not like he's trying to spray 40 yard passes. He just looks like a nervous schoolboy with a kick and run technique,  its really poor to watch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Gallagher's a hard running forward, he'd have been perfect in th'owden days when you always had one striker run the channels for 90 minutes. He's better than he's given credit for and played in central areas he'll score goals. What Mowbray is asking him to do is lunacy. He might as well play Dack at left back.  

His passing, heading, ball control and hold-up play won’t improve wherever he’s played, all are dreadful.

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A myth. He can head a ball. He's been completely ruined by Mowbray. 

Could, four years ago. I wish I could still do everything just as well as I could four years ago! 7 goals in his 66 appearances not for Rovers suggests he was hardly a goal machine before Mowbray ruined him. 
He’s had half a good season in his career - Jon Stead had half a good season in the Prem and ended up playing his trade in the lower leagues, where this fella belongs.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Could, four years ago. I wish I could still do everything just as well as I could four years ago! 7 goals in his 66 appearances not for Rovers suggests he was hardly a goal machine before Mowbray ruined him. 
He’s had half a good season in his career - Jon Stead had half a good season in the Prem and ended up playing his trade in the lower leagues, where this fella belongs.

You said he couldn't head a ball, he can. He's a Championship striker. Not a winger/full back/quarter back/running back etc. Good player under Coyle in the Championship, which tells you everything you need to know about Mowbray, who can't get a tune out of him.

15 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Gallagher's a hard running forward, he'd have been perfect in th'owden days when you always had one striker run the channels for 90 minutes. He's better than he's given credit for and played in central areas he'll score goals. What Mowbray is asking him to do is lunacy. He might as well play Dack at left back.  

Like a poor man's James Beattie..

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You said he couldn't head a ball, he can. He's a Championship striker. Not a winger/full back/quarter back/running back etc. Good player under Coyle in the Championship, which tells you everything you need to know about Mowbray, who can't get a tune out of him.

He’s 25 with a shite goal record in all but six months of his professional career. 

31 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He couldn't play as a lone striker.  Maybe he and Arma can create the old Phillips/Quinn partnership....could Mogadon go 442 or is that too untrendy?

8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

What's the view like on the other side of the hill?