BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Data in Football

23 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

At the same time, although yes we have conceded in all our games this season it has only been by one goal. Endless possession leads us to over committing players forwards and we looked so vulnerable. Goals from set pieces have seen us take points in games because we're not having to score 3 goals to win.

We never over commited player's playing possession last year, we under commited.

10 hours ago, Ulrich said:

We never over commited player's playing possession last year, we under commited.

Tell that to our full backs. Our players were a long way up the pitch. Standing like statues. Worst of both worlds. Positional play was gung-ho whilst the style was gung-slow

Been trying to get this done for a while but struggled to get the file uploaded. Plenty of people questioning how people can be looking at players we're interested in in much depth. This is a basic overview of how you would look at a player on an app like Wyscout.

I'm not *actually* scouting here, ie. I'm just clicking random buttons to try and show off how things work and just how big the thing is. The sheer volume of content on there to consume is mind blowing.

As I tried to explain in the transfer thread, it's not just highlights of a players goals. It's everything. Every touch in every game, clipped up for you. There's too many features on there to go through everything in one video without it being mega long, but I hope this provides some kind of insight and at least goes some way to proving that video analysis isn't just "YouTube compilations" as it keeps being referred to as.

Used Manchester City's Tommy Doyle for this example, mainly to show off the tool that allows you to select the game types your analysing. For raw data you can see that it's easy enough to discount U18's and U23's football if you so wish, or to only look at clips from Premier League games between a certain two dates. Comparison of players in both video and data is shown in this video also, with a comparison to John Buckley. Again this was done purely to show off the feature, rather than to provide actual analysis or scouting.

The video quality isn't spectacular either, as I had to use a compression software to get it down to file size for uploading onto the site. Posting publicly on YouTube or Twitter might be a bit too much exposure, but should be okay on here.

Finally, if anyone would be interested in seeing any other insights into platforms like this, I'd be more than happy to show off some other features and sections.

28 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Been trying to get this done for a while but struggled to get the file uploaded. Plenty of people questioning how people can be looking at players we're interested in in much depth. This is a basic overview of how you would look at a player on an app like Wyscout.

I'm not *actually* scouting here, ie. I'm just clicking random buttons to try and show off how things work and just how big the thing is. The sheer volume of content on there to consume is mind blowing.

As I tried to explain in the transfer thread, it's not just highlights of a players goals. It's everything. Every touch in every game, clipped up for you. There's too many features on there to go through everything in one video without it being mega long, but I hope this provides some kind of insight and at least goes some way to proving that video analysis isn't just "YouTube compilations" as it keeps being referred to as.

Used Manchester City's Tommy Doyle for this example, mainly to show off the tool that allows you to select the game types your analysing. For raw data you can see that it's easy enough to discount U18's and U23's football if you so wish, or to only look at clips from Premier League games between a certain two dates. Comparison of players in both video and data is shown in this video also, with a comparison to John Buckley. Again this was done purely to show off the feature, rather than to provide actual analysis or scouting.

The video quality isn't spectacular either, as I had to use a compression software to get it down to file size for uploading onto the site. Posting publicly on YouTube or Twitter might be a bit too much exposure, but should be okay on here.

Finally, if anyone would be interested in seeing any other insights into platforms like this, I'd be more than happy to show off some other features and sections.

Would everyone using this not enter pretty much the same information, thus everyone gets to look at the same players?

I think a simple working partnership with the Lancashire Schools FA would ensure that the best players in the county end up at Brockhall for a trial.  Roll that across the North West and you have a proper scouting system based on local talent. Easy things like that should be a priority.

I get your point Joe but there are amazing players right under our noses in Blackburn and surrounding areas.  Jesus, the town doesn't even have a town team anymore, one of the most historic in the country, B&D Schoolboys was an institution,  maybe Rovers should revitalise that in the town and encourage schools with facilities and funds.

All these flags would just confuse mogadon.

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Would everyone using this not enter pretty much the same information, thus everyone gets to look at the same players?

I think a simple working partnership with the Lancashire Schools FA would ensure that the best players in the county end up at Brockhall for a trial.  Roll that across the North West and you have a proper scouting system based on local talent. Easy things like that should be a priority.

I get your point Joe but there are amazing players right under our noses in Blackburn and surrounding areas.  Jesus, the town doesn't even have a town team anymore, one of the most historic in the country, B&D Schoolboys was an institution,  maybe Rovers should revitalise that in the town and encourage schools with facilities and funds.

All these flags would just confuse mogadon.

You're talking youth recruitment though, this is senior recruitment.

And to answer the first bit, of course we're all looking at the same players. Different clubs are looking for different things. Some clubs use this stuff more effectively than others though.

Edited by JoeH

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You're talking youth recruitment though, this is senior recruitment.

And to answer the first bit, of course we're all looking at the same players. Different clubs are looking for different things. Some clubs use this stuff more effectively than others though.

It's a start Joe, trouble is if you can't get your local scouting on point you've no chance in far flung parts of Europe. That's my opinion. Start here properly and then look abroad.

Hopefully JP and PG can change that fir the better.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I've got access to Wyscout but nobody to teach me how to use it and learning through trial and error means you never get the best from the website.  I'm right in thinking that there is no volume on this video?  

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's a start Joe, trouble is if you can't get your local scouting on point you've no chance in far flung parts of Europe. That's my opinion. Start here properly and then look abroad.

Hopefully JP and PG can change that fir the better.

No teams truly scout the amatuer game Sparks, we both know that.  I knew someone who did it once, the NW clubs told him he was wasting his time, but he proved them VERY wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWU-Andy said:

I've got access to Wyscout but nobody to teach me how to use it and learning through trial and error means you never get the best from the website.  I'm right in thinking that there is no volume on this video?  

I haven't got sound on this but I'd be more than happy to go through any specifics in shorter clips at some point if there's anything I can go through

14 hours ago, JoeH said:

Cheers, Joe. That is a very interesting app. First time I've seen it and it looks impressive. There is so much to explore there and I like how it isn't just limited to English football. I can see how you would get a much more comprehensive view of a player in comparison to a standard YouTube compilation. I mean, anybody savvy enough could even make Hope Akpan look like a midfield enforcer on YouTube, for example.

As someone who likes to 'find' players for Rovers (just for fun really, not working in football) I can see myself easily spending hours using this tool. There's a young winger at Bologna that I like called Vignato. His stats don't look all that on paper, but he looks good on the eye. If you get a chance, check him out. Wouldn't mind seeing him here but...you can just picture the look on Balaji's face as somebody utters the words "Emanuel Vignato from Bologna, boss" to him.

In the hands of decent, imaginative scouts and at a club where the owners show some ambition, it could be very handy.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, arbitro said:

BBC News - Footballers demand compensation over 'data misuse'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58873132

This could ba really interesting development in the way data is used, collected and, according to this abused. 

Bet they weren't moaning when the data was used to scout them and get them a break in the game...🙄 all money should be donated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

BBC News - Footballers demand compensation over 'data misuse'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58873132

This could ba really interesting development in the way data is used, collected and, according to this abused. 

What a piss take from some greedy professionals. They don't really care that their data is being used this way, they've just been told by an opportunistic lawyer they can make some more money.

Pretty sure this use of data falls under legitimate purposes too. Otherwise I look forward to the whole nation sueing our bosses for using performance data. 'What do you mean my productivity is low and my punctuality is poor? How dare you use my data...'

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

What a piss take from some greedy professionals. They don't really care that their data is being used this way, they've just been told by an opportunistic lawyer they can make some more money.

Pretty sure this use of data falls under legitimate purposes too. Otherwise I look forward to the whole nation sueing our bosses for using performance data. 'What do you mean my productivity is low and my punctuality is poor? How dare you use my data...'

I can see lawyers getting richer with this one.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...