BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Waggott

13 hours ago, philipl said:

I acknowledged that he was plunged into a situation sometime in 2023 in which he had no idea when and how much the next lifeline cash would come from Pune..

Believe me that could have been handled much worse than he did.

AND

If no more Indian cash were forthcoming, keeping us in the Championship and the young player development were the basic essential requirements to make Rovers a rescuable proposition.

That was the stark reality we were facing and JDT getting us into play off contention until the protracted injury crisis took its toll was a phenomenal achievement using playing resources GB had rustled up out of empty crisp bags.

How are you suggesting it could have been handled much worse? All I can think is he could have encouraged a panic about it from the supporters. Perhaps initiated a firesale, but we know he doesn't get to decide that kind of thing anyway. Also I'm not sure that not handling certain situations horrendously qualifies as handling them 'relatively well'.

On the second point, keeping us in the Championship and developing young players are two things that don't come under his remit. The manager and, to a lesser extent, GB, are responsible for those. The academy staff to a degree. Not Steve Waggott.

He can't really take credit for JDT or GB either really. We hear the DoF thing came from someone in India and that SW really doesn't rate GB, and GB seems primarily responsible for hiring JDT. Swag was bumbling around over a managerial appointment for ages until GB showed up.

8 hours ago, cesus said:

I always come back to thinking about SWAG in two different roles.

CEO of a Championship club - very poor.

CEO of Venkys Blackburn Rovers - a remit of chomping down on the crap that Venkys don't want or won't deal with and keeping the fans from their door, a perfectly reasonable job.

Unfortunately for fans we need him to be really good at job 1, his priority is job 2.

That's why he's here and that is where his experience and expertise lies if we look at his previous clubs. Both going backwards at a rate of knots and downscaling as they went along, not his fault of course but he was hired for a certain task and wasn't building them up or promotion.

So what does he know about building a club up ?   Nowt, it's all about watertreading and penny pinching in his 'How To' guide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

That's why he's here and that is where his experience and expertise lies if we look at his previous clubs. Both going backwards at a rate of knots and downscaling as they went along, not his fault of course but he was hired for a certain task and wasn't building them up or promotion.

So what does he know about building a club up ?   Nowt, it's all about watertreading and penny pinching in his 'How To' guide.

His career track record shows him to be a football club undertaker. Charlton Coventry and Southend all heading to oblivion under his management before he rocked up here courtesy of his mate TM. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, alcd said:

His career track record shows him to be a football club undertaker. Charlton Coventry and Southend all heading to oblivion under his management before he rocked up here courtesy of his mate TM. 

Don't forget Gillingham under Scally as well.

• Like 1

Very interesting the LT have focused on the first person I would fire too.

IF there were to be a change of ownership, Rovers would need a CEO with far more JUDGEMENT, MOTIVATION, COMPETENCE and RELEVANT EXPERIENCE than SWAG has.

In the more likely even of Venky's staggering on, Rovers need a CEO with more ENERGY and ORIGINAL THINKING than Waggott is ever likely to bring now after Donkeys' years in the seat.   

13 minutes ago, philipl said:

IF there were to be a change of ownership, Rovers would need a CEO with far more JUDGEMENT, MOTIVATION, COMPETENCE and RELEVANT EXPERIENCE than SWAG has.

In the more likely even of Venky's staggering on, Rovers need a CEO with more ENERGY and ORIGINAL THINKING than Waggott is ever likely to bring now after Donkeys' years in the seat.   

Changed your tune quite rapidly since saying "things could have been handled much worse" on 8th of Jan?

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Changed your tune quite rapidly since saying "things could have been handled much worse" on 8th of Jan?

Not at all.

Yes things could have been handled much worse but SWAG is still the first person I would fire. Looking backwards, he completely ducked the O'Brien fiasco and is speaking out of turn about senior colleagues but more importantly, looking forward, he is the wrong man for the job.

He doesn't have what we need going forward under most scenarios.

I would only keep short term if Venky's get an ambiguous answer from the Indian Courts later this month.

48 minutes ago, philipl said:

Where have they focused on Swag?

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, philipl said:

I fell for an AI generated hoax.

You reckon? Did you not spot that Waggott’s head wasn’t even on his shoulders?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, philipl said:

for me, we need a commercial driven and experience CEO who has delivered already in a previous role.