BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Waggott

‘Typical Rovers fans’, ‘must be the worst set of fans anywhere’, ‘so negative here’ is the refrain on social media.

Nope, it’s the same everywhere, indeed I’d say our match goers are pretty bloody positive considering the complete garbage we’ve had to sit through for a decade.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I dont remember tim flowers, Friedel, Robinson ever complaining! If anything i vaguely remember ocasions when they enjoyed the banter with the away fans behind them. It should push the player to raise their game! Not bottle it like an amatures

But there's the issue - those players were at the top of their game, internationals - apples and oranges (or plums in our case) compared to what we have now. This is the problem for most of us I think, myself included, can't compare our current squads to years gone by as it's just not the same scenario.

Also, no matter how hostile the away fans, there was some level of grudging respect aimed back at players like Friedel and Flowers, they could take the piss but deep down any fan knew they were dealing with a proper pro keeper - unlike at Champ/League One level where they're just another player making up the numbers, lambs to the slaughter...

Edited by Groundhog

12 hours ago, Miller11 said:

“We love it when the away team bring a big following. Like Preston and Wrexham. There is really only an atmosphere when the away end is full. We want to play in front of a full house.”

- Aynsley Pears. In that infamous meeting at the start of February.

Gallagher and Hyam were in agreement.

I'm sure they do think that - the question is whether the opposition get an increase % performance higher than our players. It's impossible to answer but my eye test tells me that when we have a big game and a huge away followings we crumble. Games against Preston, Wrexham and Newcastle for me aren't comparable - PNE was a local derby in the first half of the season (which we lost), Wrexham we where favourite's and didn't crack but ultimately where playing a L2 team and all of the pressure was on the opposition for the Newcastle game.

There's a reason playing at home is considered an advantage. The Sheff Weds players described it as a 'like a home game' and our Manager said 'a big away following has an impact but we won't use it as an excuse' (whatever that means). In my opinion there's absolutely no argument that in a potentially league-defining game giving the opposition 7K fans has a net-negative effect on our clearly poor-under-pressure players.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

But there's the issue - those players were at the top of their game, internationals - apples and oranges (or plums in our case) compared to what we have now. 

Or Pears...

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, J*B said:

and our Manager said 'a big away following has an impact but we won't use it as an excuse' (whatever that means)

Did he? FFs. He likes to point out excuses and then say “we won’t use it as an excuse”. If it’s not an excuse then don’t flippin mention it in the first place. 

• Like 8

The main point being once Weds went two up down that end having so many fans having a carnival in one end became more of a help to them than it should have been.

And it was avoidable so why give teams that opportunity in the first place in what was really a one off 6 pointer not a run of the mill game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Sadly, Ewood Park has never been renowned as having a hostile atmosphere which is often worth a goal start.

Highbury was once nicknamed The Library' because it was so quiet.

In the main, Rovers fans are a docile lot at Ewood Park, too little passion and too many happy clappers.

Wasn't there a game last season that you missed out of fear?

• Like 1

On 23/04/2024 at 08:56, Mercer said:

Sadly, Ewood Park has never been renowned as having a hostile atmosphere which is often worth a goal start.

Highbury was once nicknamed The Library' because it was so quiet.

In the main, Rovers fans are a docile lot at Ewood Park, too little passion and too many happy clappers.

It's not in a Blackburnian's nature to be aggressive or hostile.

Grumpy and grumbly at best.

We're a family club for a reason; we're nice people up this way.

Fella who talks of nothing more of dinner parties with Dingles, turns his nose up at the oiks in the stands,  and was too scared to attend the derby last season, now bemoaning Ewood and its fans as ‘docile’ and un-hostile. 😅

• Like 7

His decision to sell Sheff Wed 7,000 tickets last week was staggering. What other club in our position would do that?

Time after time clear as day examples of what his remit is.....financial over any sort of footballing success. He couldn't give a toss about the club or more importantly the fans. Utter contempt.

The season ticket sales this summer will be pitiful but no doubt he will find an excuse.

I cannot stand him. 

• Like 1

The Andy Cole story, the training ground shenanigans, the best bus in football lie and the fact the min attention turned to him in the stands he threw the players in front of fans and made it into an us v them situation.

If non of that shows people the exact kind of character he is i don't know what does so with that in mind he'll be difficult to shift without some real pressure.

If we get relegated and his head doesn't roll there should be all out mutiny.

• Like 3

First day of the League 1 season…

‘Steve Waggott get out of our club’ from a few hundred in NO1, with a response of ‘shut up yer dicks, get behind ‘em FFS’, will be about as far as any mutiny goes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

First day of the League 1 season…

‘Steve Waggott get out of our club’ from a few hundred in NO1, with a response of ‘shut up yer dicks, get behind ‘em FFS’, will be about as far as any mutiny goes.

Sounds about right, we have too many fans with their heads up their arses. 

• Like 3