BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom
2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Southgate says he can’t understand people booing Henderson.

Disagreeing with the booing is one thing, not understanding why people would boo him - well that’s just ridiculous.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing. The obvious argument to his saying there's no logic to booing Henderson is to say there's no logic to prioritising a football game over expressing an opinion over human rights atrocities and those who support it. That's not to get into a deeper argument as to our country's own complicity in that and many other human rights abuses, but nonetheless, it suggests a warped view when a football match is given precedent over what the booing represented. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DE. said:

Sometimes it's better to say nothing. The obvious argument to his saying there's no logic to booing Henderson is to say there's no logic to prioritising a football game over expressing an opinion over human rights atrocities and those who support it. That's not to get into a deeper argument as to our country's own complicity in that and many other human rights abuses, but nonetheless, it suggests a warped view when a football match is given precedent over what the booing represented. 

Interesting , I didn’t watch the game. Was the booing because of his move to the Middle East to play or was it because of his performance, past and present, on the field ? 

41 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Interesting , I didn’t watch the game. Was the booing because of his move to the Middle East to play or was it because of his performance, past and present, on the field ? 

Either or both could be the reason.

• Like 1

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It may have been a combination of both, but I don't recall Henderson getting booed before his switch to SA and his recent endorsement of their WC 2034 bid. I would assume those are bigger factors than his on-field performance. I don't really remember an England crowd often booing a player for a poor performance when substituted in recent times (the last decade or so, anyway), although truthfully I don't follow the national side closely enough to know for sure. 

Goes without saying I'm exempting Maguire from the above, although maybe it's just that sentiment spreading to other players. Who knows.

Edited by DE.

The game was turgid so the story moves to Henderson getting booed. 

He moved to Saudi Arabia. He can claim footballing reasons all he likes but he's getting paid silly money for playing with and against substandard players watched by very few interested people. 

Maguire gets stick as he's not playing. Henderson cannot be as sharp either. He has done well for England but has tarnished hid legacy by moving. 

Anyway, the B team won and played like strangers. Minutes under their belt won't hurt. 

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, minutes under their belt might hurt. The likes of Bowen, Watkins, Grealish, Tomori, Dunk, Alexander Arnold etc all have not only busy domestic schedules but European football too.

Thankfully I didnt watch as it seems like I didnt miss anything.

Minutes in the sense that they got a taste of international football. Any player can get injured at any time. 

I gave up watching at HT.

I suspected that Phillips would appear and perhaps Maguire and had wasted 45 minutes of my life already watching Henderson and Dunk in a friggin friendly, it what world are those players the future of the National team.

I really only watched in the first instance to see Australia but when it became obvious they would struggle in the Championship it became a meaningless exercise.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I gave up watching at HT.

I suspected that Phillips would appear and perhaps Maguire and had wasted 45 minutes of my life already watching Henderson and Dunk in a friggin friendly, it what world are those players the future of the National team.

I really only watched in the first instance to see Australia but when it became obvious they would struggle in the Championship it became a meaningless exercise.

I gave it a miss altogether, just a pointless exercise. The sort of games that allows players to get an England cap when in the past they would have never got near one. Or break the scoring records of players who weren’t lucky enough to be filling their boots against Transylvania and Treasure Island.

• Like 6

Southgate is going with a 4-2-3-1.

Pickford

Walker  Stones  Maguire  Tripper

Rice  Phillips

Rashford  Bellingham  Foden

Kane

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's Maguire's spot to lose. Now will he move in January to play games, or does he think he'll keep it no matter what?

26 minutes ago, Andy said:

Bellingham is very, very good.

I like the bit of devil in him also, gives him a bit of personality.

He and Foden are the two best midfielders we've had in a long time.

You mean like when he is pushed in the chest and he goes down holding his face? The kind of thing there does be uproar on this site when Ronaldo does it.

He is an immense talent, I laughed when Birmingham City retired his jersey when he left, but I guess they are having the last laugh.

• Like 1

Easy win v an Italian side miles away from the very top sides internationally.

Very dull game, but with a front 4 like that including the best striker and attacking midfield duo in the world, we will score from not that many chances. With some of the elite talent we have, we could and should be much more fluid than we are, against the big teams the central midfield 2 (especially Phillips obviously or Henderson if he gets the nod) and Maguire are the weak points. Dont like a right footer at left back either.

• Like 1

10 minutes good football, 80 minutes zzzzzzzzzzz.

As long as we have Rice and Phillips together in midfield we’ll look laboured. What does Phillips actually do apart from getting bookings ? Bellingham carries the central midfield, anything happens to him and we’re Donald ducked. Trippier will never make a left back as long as he lives, he plays way too narrow.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Phillips, Henderson, Maguire plus players out of position is ok in qualifying against inferior teams, I include the current Italian edition in that, but will be, as always, found out against the better teams.  Flat tract bullies and even Bellingham will be challenged to carry the aforementioned rubbish.

Kane was top class as usual and gets better with age. The second goal, in which he outmuscled and outmanouevred the Italian centre half, was a masterclass in centre forward play. England so lucky to have him.

Grealish is the big disappointment for me. So much ability, he should be a regular pick now

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Easy win v an Italian side miles away from the very top sides internationally.

Very dull game, but with a front 4 like that including the best striker and attacking midfield duo in the world, we will score from not that many chances. With some of the elite talent we have, we could and should be much more fluid than we are, against the big teams the central midfield 2 (especially Phillips obviously or Henderson if he gets the nod) and Maguire are the weak points. Dont like a right footer at left back either.

Phillips showed his lack of match time. He looked off the pace and was lucky not to be sent off. Southgate will play 2 holding midfielders. Who would you play instead of Phillips? I don't know who else can do it. Ward-Prowse? Gallagher? Alexander-Arnold?

There's no point in me commenting on Maguire. I've said my piece on him repeatedly.

Tripper is only playing there because Shaw and Chilwell are injured. He's another who Southgate trusts so will play more than others but wouldn't be there if either of the first two are fit.