BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

11 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I was making a point as to why itโ€™s Northย Macedonia. Saying South Macedonia is Greece isnโ€™t an answer really.ย 

Because the southern part of the old region of Macedonia is literally part of Greece.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I was making a point as to why itโ€™s Northย Macedonia. Saying South Macedonia is Greece isnโ€™t an answer really.ย 

Southern Macedonia is a province within Greece. Northern Macedonia is an independent country. Greece objected to the independent country calling itself just Macedonia (itself only created when Yugoslavia fell apart) as by the name there is a perceived inference that it lays a claim to all of historical Macedonia including the bit in Greece. So settlement reached where independent Macedonia renamed itself as Northern Macedonia. Everyone happy (probably not).
ย 

• Like 4

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Southern Macedonia is a province within Greece. Northern Macedonia is an independent country. Greece objected to the independent country calling itself just Macedonia (itself only created when Yugoslavia fell apart) as by the name there is a perceived inference that it lays a claim to all of historical Macedonia including the bit in Greece. So settlement reached where independent Macedonia renamed itself as Northern Macedonia. Everyone happy (probably not).
ย 

Very informative answer, thank you

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

ย 

I had a Greek flatmate at the time that was all getting tweaked (the renaming, not the dissolution of Yugoslavia!). He wasn't short of opinions on the matter, and you can imagine what they were. It actually transpired that he wasn't too keen on any of Greece's neighbours except for Bulgaria. Lost hours of my life accidentally setting him off on stuff like that. Like saying the V word to a Rovers fan, but worse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

with the amount of firepower at our disposal we should win the euro`s no problem,unfortunately our big handicap is our manager,he`s very risk averse

We played in front of them all night and they were happy to let us do it. Saka and Grealish both kept coming inside all the time. Saka, apart from one good ball in, kept either coming inside and losing the ball or playing it back into deep midfield. Grealish just kept running across the field.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

I think, that would be because south macedonia is a province in now what is Greece. You probably find that the people of the country are proud of their heritage and want to be known as Macedonians not Greeks. So they named the country North Macedonia. Then again that could be pure bullshit, but it's a good story.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

with the amount of firepower at our disposal we should win the euro`s no problem,unfortunately our big handicap is our manager,he`s very risk averse

Whilst Southgate is obviously a huge hindrance, its a massive stretch to suggest that we "should win the Euros no problem."

We should be one of the favourites but France are the team to beat.

• Like 1