BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I have long stopped watching England play any team that is not competitive. Just so dull. Probs only 10-15 teams in Europe it is worth watching England play, and with qualifying groups we will only get two of those teams in our group. 

One of the reasons I quite like the Nations League is at least the structure of it keeps it competitive for all concerned by matching nations at a similar level. I think in a few years they will bin current qualifying structure and just play Nations League. 

In fact think we will end up with an expanded Nations League where each country plays around 8 games a year against teams at a similar competitive standard, and qualifying for minnows to the Euros / World Cup will be handled through winners of the lower reaches of the Nations League. A tier 1 nation like France, Germany, England etc playing a tier 6 nation like San Marino or Malta or whatever will become very rare. Think that will be much better for all concerned.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well that’s 2 hours of my life I’ll never get back. Awful game. We never got out of a jog. The sooner we get rid of Southgate the better. It’s like watching Mowbray’s Rovers on a bad day.

I more or less gave up when Maguire chipped a pass out of defence to an unmarked player in acres of space ..... It was to a North Macedonian player .....it was quite early in the game and after that I just checked back a couple of times for the score.

I did see the penalty and also the one not given when Maguire collapsed into a player when being skimmed.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I more or less gave up when Maguire chipped a pass out of defence to an unmarked player in acres of space ..... It was to a North Macedonian player .....it was quite early in the game and after that I just checked back a couple of times for the score.

I did see the penalty and also the one not given when Maguire collapsed into a player when being skimmed.

Nobody came out of that with much credit. Rice kept trying, Foden put a few nice balls through.  Saka and Grealish were anonymous. Neither of the full backs got beyond them, which is supposed to be the plan. Maguire was just Maguire, an accident waiting to happen. How that “ collision “ wasn’t a pen only the ref knows. He made the other centre back look nervous. TAA went missing for most of the game, apart from a daft booking. He might be a central midfield player in his head but he wasn’t out on the pitch. Watkins never got a pass worth chasing. 

All in all a really pedestrian game, lacking tempo. Aiming to be No 1 team in the world ? They’re having a laugh. I was watching it laid on my bed and I could barely keep my eyes open.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Southgate should have been binned, or resigned, after the last World Cup. When you're the subject of a West End play, it should be obvious your time is up.

He's done well but losing the Euro final, our own midden, was poor, and showed his limitations

The players look like they're not listening to him now

• Like 1

Watching the England U21s play NI, I do wonder if a trough might be coming in terms of England talent in some areas. Tyler Morton and Hayden Hackney are in midfield, with Harvey Elliott, and the former two are tidy players (Morton's got a decent goal) and dominating this game but, I'm not sure if they're exceptional standard. Could go some way to explaining why Phillips and Henderson are England regulars.

England's upcoming striker options don't seem too impressive at the moment, either, though, as with all these players, the likes ofJay Stansfield, who is playing today, have time on their side.

Harvey Elliott looks the pick and will surely be an England player, albeit, in this game, he seems to be searching for the ball a lot, rather than space. Noni Madueke, the Chelsea winger, is also looking impressive.

Edited by riverholmes

20 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Watching the England U21s play NI, I do wonder if a trough might be coming in terms of England talent in some areas. Tyler Morton and Hayden Hackney are in midfield, with Harvey Elliott, and the former two are tidy players (Morton's got a decent goal) and dominating this game but, I'm not sure if they're exceptional standard. Could go some way to explaining why Phillips and Henderson are England regulars.

England's upcoming striker options don't seem too impressive at the moment, either, though, as with all these players, the likes ofJay Stansfield, who is playing today, have time on their side.

Harvey Elliott looks the pick and will surely be an England player, albeit, in this game, he seems to be searching for the ball a lot, rather than space. Noni Madueke, the Chelsea winger, is also looking impressive.

Leave it out. 

A trough of England talent?

This England team is packed full of incredibly talented players under the age of 25 and you're already thinking about their replacements? 

The Kane replacement is the only serious area of concern. We're unlikely to find another player of Kane's quality for some time (then again, he's probably the best in the world in his position), but I'm sure a decent candidate will emerge. 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2023 at 09:48, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody came out of that with much credit. Rice kept trying, Foden put a few nice balls through.  Saka and Grealish were anonymous. Neither of the full backs got beyond them, which is supposed to be the plan. Maguire was just Maguire, an accident waiting to happen. How that “ collision “ wasn’t a pen only the ref knows. He made the other centre back look nervous. TAA went missing for most of the game, apart from a daft booking. He might be a central midfield player in his head but he wasn’t out on the pitch. Watkins never got a pass worth chasing. 

All in all a really pedestrian game, lacking tempo. Aiming to be No 1 team in the world ? They’re having a laugh. I was watching it laid on my bed and I could barely keep my eyes open.

Rico Lewis foden and Guehi were all excellent.  The rest were shit 

On 22/11/2023 at 17:33, Eddie said:

Leave it out. 

A trough of England talent?

This England team is packed full of incredibly talented players under the age of 25 and you're already thinking about their replacements? 

The Kane replacement is the only serious area of concern. We're unlikely to find another player of Kane's quality for some time (then again, he's probably the best in the world in his position), but I'm sure a decent candidate will emerge. 

We have no replacement for kane but as u said the future is bright 

RIP el Tel.

What a character and boss. The only non-Rovers game I have been to which was an absolute privilege to be at was England 4 Netherlands 1 in 1996- and my companions that night were all Dutch!

As for the trough in England youngsters. How old are Cole Palmer, Saka and the oldest teenager in the world, Bellingham?  

England have never had as gifted a manager since El Tel, a great man manager who had a total affinity with both players and fans, yet was so forward thinking. Both he and Clough were not liked by the FA but at least Tel got the opportunity to show his skill. 
RIP Terry, and thoughts, as always, should be with his family. 

Revived England in spectacular fashion after the disaster of  Graham Taylor but turned out to another nearly man - got England to the semi-final in our own national stadium and by far the best team in the tournament yet still somehow managed to blow it.

I don't know why the FA let Venables go because he was a breath of fresh air and Hoddle and Keegan, who followed him, ruined his legacy by turning out to be even more disastrous than Taylor. 

It's also forgotten that Venables was a top-class player too. 

RIP