BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Of all the players I've seen this season, Dembele at Posh is the attacking version of Rothwell.  Pace to burn and can carry the ball from deep.  May not put the work in defensively (not seen enough of him but neither did JR initially). He can play across the front 3 as well. 

If we want to keep a  similar system and drop in a like for like player, he could be the closest. 

25yr old, available (He's turned down a move to big club apparently).  Wants Bournemouth but they won't meet the price (apparently). 

Knows the championship and you'd hope he would view us as a decent step up. 

Would be a good fit for this current rovers side.

I'd welcome him with open arms, not sure he's gonna play the Rothwell role though.

I did notice watching their game yesterday he was out with a 'back injury' much like Mr Rothwell 🤥

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'd welcome him with open arms, not sure he's gonna play the Rothwell role though.

I did notice watching their game yesterday he was out with a 'back injury' much like Mr Rothwell 🤥

Yes, me too. 

No I'm not sure he would play the Rothwell role either - but he potentially could - just like Rothwell didn't look like he could play the Rothwell role until this season 😂

I'm sure whoever we sign, Rothwell will be long forgotten.

When Dack got injured, it really did affect us, but we've had to learn to live with it, we've changed our style somewhat, but also had a season prior to this of mediocrity in his absence.

We are second in the table and Joe has been integral to that, with some moments of individual brilliance getting a few games over the line which we'd probably not have won. Bournemouth away was one of those in particular.

This is slightly different than in other seasons, we are slap bang in a real automatic promotion fight. I'm not hearing murmurs of for example Mitrovic leaving Fulham in this window, or other key players from Bouremouth, QPR ect. Leaving.

Can we keep the player now? No chance, its out there publically, in a lot of cases the supporter base has spoken and turned on Rothwell.

The next 36 hours or so will define this clubs season. We needed 2 or 3, before this bombshell, we need 4 or 5 now in my opinion.

If we do not go up, and we are currently second, with the form in the book and there because over 28 games have proved to be the 2nd best team in the division.. Then this 36 hours will be the reason for this. We need players who impact the best 11, and in TMs own words, we have to come out the transfer window stronger than we went in.

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well we aren’t, are we, as that sale has put us a fair distance away for the next cycle. What we sell next time, or the time after that, is obviously a different matter 

P.S. maybe having half a team with contracts running out, ergo rapidly depreciating assets isn’t an ideal way to avoid FFP!

I must just be imagining we lose £350-400k per week. We have a ceiling of what we can offer players, if they can get better elsewhere off they pop. Unfortunately until this season the players have not played to the quality that has commanded a fee, as surely our model is to sell rather than lose for nothing.

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Isn't FFP changing?  I'm sure I read that they are looking at changing rules across europe (although it may only effect the prem teams)

Something about clubs being fined for going over ffp but no other deduction or sanction. That way teams with wealthy owners can decide the level of investment.

So hypothetically Rovers could go over by £10 mil and be fined another £10 mil.  As long as that is met by the owners, no further sanctions.  The owner wealth/commitment basically dictates your FFP limit. 

Something along those lines - sounds like it would benefit elite clubs so probably something in it. 

Would also probably benefit the likes of us.  It would certainly mean the owners can't hide behind ffp - if they wanted to go for it - they could. 

*Sorry for off topic post. 

If it's the UEFA FFP then they are looking at introducing salary caps based on a clubs revenue and then another overall cap to stop clubs artificially inflating their revenue (sponsoring themselves for insane figures) 

The punishment is for overspending on salaries, and it's progressive, so the more they overspend the more they are hit with a "luxury tax". 

From what I read anyway 

• Like 1

We are on the verge of signing Hedges in not dissimilar circumstances to Rothwell potentially leaving us. Both appear to have had their heads turned by the promise of more money and a new contract. I know Rothwell has actually asked for a move but keeping him against his wishes will be folly for me. Mowbrays subdued interview yesterday told me he is planning for a future without Rothwell and I agree with that. Whether it derails our season remains to be seen but I don't think we should dwell on it and hopefully the players and management won't too.

It's football and we could be in exactly the same situation next January as more important players contracts enter their final six months.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, cesus said:

I must just be imagining we lose £350-400k per week. We have a ceiling of what we can offer players, if they can get better elsewhere off they pop. Unfortunately until this season the players have not played to the quality that has commanded a fee, as surely our model is to sell rather than lose for nothing.

It is a good model, and in the reality the only model for most Championship clubs… yet we are having to sell players for knock down prices (if we get a fee at all) as we can’t execute the most important part of the model… a contacted player.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'm sure whoever we sign, Rothwell will be long forgotten.

When Dack got injured, it really did affect us, but we've had to learn to live with it, we've changed our style somewhat, but also had a season prior to this of mediocrity in his absence.

We are second in the table and Joe has been integral to that, with some moments of individual brilliance getting a few games over the line which we'd probably not have won. Bournemouth away was one of those in particular.

This is slightly different than in other seasons, we are slap bang in a real automatic promotion fight. I'm not hearing murmurs of for example Mitrovic leaving Fulham in this window, or other key players from Bouremouth, QPR ect. Leaving.

Can we keep the player now? No chance, its out there publically, in a lot of cases the supporter base has spoken and turned on Rothwell.

The next 36 hours or so will define this clubs season. We needed 2 or 3, before this bombshell, we need 4 or 5 now in my opinion.

If we do not go up, and we are currently second, with the form in the book and there because over 28 games have proved to be the 2nd best team in the division.. Then this 36 hours will be the reason for this. We need players who impact the best 11, and im TMs own words, we have to come out the transfer window stronger than we went in.

Having reflected on this overnight I am even more of the view that Mowbray is completely out of order on this one.

We cocked up initially by not attending to the players Contracts at the appropriate time, but, given our position in the League and what's at stake, the owners quite correctly imo decided not to compound the error and stipulated that no-one was leaving this month under any circumstances.

Mowbray completely undermined that stance with his interview. He's hung Rothwell out to dry and alienated the fan base against him. We don't even know Rothwell has refused to play, but Mowbray has created the impression that might be the case when it may not even have happened.  It's not Rothwell's fault either if other Club's leave it late to make a bid for him. Mowbray could have stuck with the "he's injured" line and by Tuesday the whole thing would have been forgotten and the entire story would have been next week's chip paper.

If I was the other two I'd be fuming as well. They probably haven't followed through with any attempt to leave this month because they took the Club at their word that no-one would be allowed to leave this month. Now, as soon as there's a bit of interest in Rothwell, Mowbray performs a complete U turn, hangs the player out to dry and seems to be doing his best to go against the owners wishes and force the player out of the door. They'll be wondering why they didn't attempt to force the issue as well. 

The Club should be sticking to the stance they've taken throughout the window of no sales. Not performing a last minute U turn when it's too late to bring suitable replacements in.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It is a good model, and in the reality the only model for most Championship clubs… yet we are having to sell players for knock down prices (if we get a fee at all) as we can’t execute the most important part of the model… a contacted player.

I'm struggling here with what you think happens? We sign player X on a 4 year deal and turn down offers in years 1,2,3 so they can leave for free? Then in year 4 we offer them reduced terms to guaranteethey leave for free? The players haven't performed well enough consistently to earn a paid move, be that the player or managers fault. 

2 minutes ago, cesus said:

I'm struggling here with what you think happens? We sign player X on a 4 year deal and turn down offers in years 1,2,3 so they can leave for free? Then in year 4 we offer them reduced terms to guaranteethey leave for free? The players haven't performed well enough consistently to earn a paid move, be that the player or managers fault. 

They’ve been turning down offers in years, 1, 2 and 3, have they?

I’m expecting the club to have much better contract management, not to have half a team running contracts down, or the whole ‘model’ is pointless.

Edited by Mattyblue

On 14/12/2021 at 07:21, Mattyblue said:

Well I’ve just consulted the never wrong Rovers exit predictor… the new calendar.

In 2022, Mr January is… it was nice knowing you ,Joe.

BBD is… Mr June, so a summer departure it is!

Indeed, boxing day. 

Edited by Mattyblue

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

They’ve been turning down offers in years, 1, 2 and 3, have they?

I don't know, neither do you. What I'm saying is that we both agree the model of improving and selling is the only way forward. So I'm as flummoxed as you as to why we don't sell the players before their contracts run down. Which leads me to think we don't get offers!

Just now, cesus said:

I don't know, neither do you. What I'm saying is that we both agree the model of improving and selling is the only way forward. So I'm as flummoxed as you as to why we don't sell the players before their contracts run down. Which leads me to think we don't get offers!

No we seemingly  think we can leave it until the last minute and players will automatically take what we offer.

Just now, cesus said:

You don’t need to sell them early if you get them signed up… it’s you that are flummoxed by the sounds of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers make contact with Peterborough after Bournemouth and Birmingham City bids rejected.

Forgot your glasses Rev?

Definitely not. That's a completely different excerpt to the one you originally posted that  I commented on which said "plotting a move for"!

Your amended version still doesn't say we've made a bid anyhow. Mildly encouraging though if there's any truth in it.

31 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

If it's the UEFA FFP then they are looking at introducing salary caps based on a clubs revenue and then another overall cap to stop clubs artificially inflating their revenue (sponsoring themselves for insane figures) 

The punishment is for overspending on salaries, and it's progressive, so the more they overspend the more they are hit with a "luxury tax". 

From what I read anyway 

Luxury tax- that's what I read.  That would suit clubs with wealthy owners.  Venkys would fall over themselves to be seen to pay it. 😂

• Like 1

It’s not overly hard to work out guys. There’s no value in us allowing players to run down contracts. There’s no evidence of us doing this either….we’ve offered new contracts to every player we’ve wanted to keep.

Some sign them, others don’t but the decision really is the players to make. If they’re looking around the market and their form and thinking ‘this is the best deal I can get’ then they sign…if THEY believe they can get more then they hold out.

The Sam Gallagher contract renewal is a great example. The club see the potential for him to kick on and want to protect their investment and position so they offer the extension….Sam, having shown some promise (6 goals in 13 starts) but not set the world alight signs the contract because he knows he won’t get any better. If he subsequently fires for the next 18 months and has PL interest then it strengthens his position and suddenly he sees the money and  his name up in lights…so he refuses to sign another extension!

The only way we win is to get in front of the contracts we have with a view to renew or be sold at 24 months before end of contract.

• Like 5