BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Glen9. Cheers –several good posts.

Some tosh on here- Rothwell didn’t refuse to play.

Whichever way I look at it, it’s shithousery on Rothwell behalf, letting everyone including his teammates and himself down when the club is in second place in the league and promotion a real prospect.

There you go –Rothwell (who according to many is average at best) is now the reason why we will not get promotion.

Plus a load of Neanderthal macho crap on here. Leave one on him. Jeeze.

If darragh downed tools I'd bea amazed . . Rothwell is a shithouse . Darragh in the past hasn't always been the best  but a shithouse he is anything but….

……Darragh down-tooled when we got relegated and Sheff United wanted him…..

And now loads coming out and saying he wasn’t good enough anyway, let’s get rid. LOL.

So Mowbray is lieing when he said Joe asked not to play?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

Swift at Reading is the best CM in the league but whether we'd be able to afford him is another matter. I was surprised to see Reading fans saying he could go for as little as £2m. He's their top scorer and tops the assist chart for the championship.

We could probably afford the fee but it will be his wages that will be the problem

1 minute ago, booth said:

Swift at Reading is the best CM in the league but whether we'd be able to afford him is another matter. I was surprised to see Reading fans saying he could go for as little as £2m. He's their top scorer and tops the assist chart for the championship.

Good shout. Different types of players though. A Swift and O’Brien combo would be unreal for this league!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

We could probably afford the fee but it will be his wages that will be the problem

True, but if Rothwell went for a decent fee it'd be great if we could get some quality in to get us over the line. The Rothwell money may end up being the difference if we can attract some special last minute signings.

• Like 2

Anyone who’s ever read anything about football from me knows I’ve always argued that rovers should do everything they could to keep their best players. There’s only one direction you’re heading if you do that and history has shown how it works out.

In this case though, I’d take the money and let him go. He’s a decent player, at times a game winner, but certainly not one of the best ever to leave rovers.  Joe is replaceable. Maybe not between now and the end of the season probably but I would still let him go. We can cope without. To refuse good money now would be silly IMO.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Good shout. Different types of players though. A Swift and O’Brien combo would be unreal for this league!

Could he be the false 9 Tony is looking for?

For anyone shaking their head, I know full well that Reading probably wouldn't part with their best player in the last 48 hours of the transfer window.

Oh dear, apologies if it was somewhat unclear. Perhaps I should spell it out.

I suggested that it wouldn't take long before fans were out suggesting that Rothwell was going to cause us to lose out on promotion. so the third paragraph of my post was a quote proving just that.

My 6th and 7th para prove the ridiculous contradictory nonsense statements on here.

My final para was meant to suggest the amusing irony of fans in one breath moaning about Rothwell leaving and in the next saying he wasn't any good in the first place so good riddance. Ie as revidge pointed out fickle and nonsensical.

I do hope that is clear enough for you.

Edited by aletheia
infelicities
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aletheia said:

I suggested that it wouldn't take long before fans were out suggesting that Rothwell was going to cause us to lose out on promotion. so the third paragraph of my post was a quote proving just that.

My 6th and 7th para prove the ridiculous contradictory nonsense statements on here.

My final para was meant to suggest the amusing irony of fans in one breath moaning about rothwell leaving and in the next saying he wasn't any good in the first place so good riddance. Ie as revidge pointed out fickle and nonsensical.

I don't see anyone suggesting he would cause us to lose out on promotion, but it doesn't fecking help does it. And not just because of his ability on the pitch but also in terms of the team spirit when everyone needs to be pulling together.

Also where has anyone said he's not good enough? He's inconsistent and drifts in and out of games but on his day he can be world class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankfan said:

At this point his head and heart aren’t with us. If we keep him he’s not going to be fully committed. So we keep a player against his desire and lose him for nothing or we sell, get two players in who see our position in the table as an opportunity to go up, and are driven to do so. I’d take the latter. 

True. Once he signs a pre-contract he won't care. He's been playing for his future and the future of his family this first half of the season and has arguably never been better. I remember how good Mané was for Soton whenever a transfer window was nearing, but when the 'for sale' changes to sold where's the drive? Sure, Rothwell can still win a hefty bonus here, but I say sell now and scramble to replace him. If it's Brentford get Forss for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aletheia said:

My final para was meant to suggest the amusing irony of fans in one breath moaning about Rothwell leaving and in the next saying he wasn't any good in the first place so good riddance. Ie as revidge pointed out fickle and nonsensical.

Agree mate…some delusional comments. He’s been one of our key players this season. Without we wouldn’t be where we are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, den said:

Anyone who’s ever read anything about football from me knows I’ve always argued that rovers should do everything they could to keep their best players. There’s only one direction you’re heading if you do that and history has shown how it works out.

In this case though, I’d take the money and let him go. He’s a decent player, at times a game winner, but certainly not one of the best ever to leave rovers.  Joe is replaceable. Maybe not between now and the end of the season probably but I would still let him go. We can cope without. To refuse good money now would be silly IMO.

With the greatest of respect the money means nothing with 3 days in the transfer window to go, taking the money is just bonkers. 
Rothwell has been outstanding in recent weeks and we shouldn’t even contemplate selling and just taking the money unless we have a better incoming player.

Thankfully Mowbray knows the score.

• Like 1

Mowbray comments on Rothwell he made public on purpose. He knew what the reaction from the fans would be like, making Rothwell time at Rovers untenable. 

Clearly Rothwell wants to move on, Mowbray doesn’t trust him now to give 100% so wants him gone now.

Venkys don’t want to sell Rothwell but I think Mowbray has now made that situation impossible. He clearly thinks he can make the team better by selling Rothwell and reinvesting the cash. 

Smart move by Tony. Make Rothwell situation at the club untenable thus making Venkys sell and reinvesting that money. He will have targets in mind 100%. Parkes and Waggott will also know finances needed for said deals.

Actually quite excited to see what happens!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

Mowbray comments on Rothwell he made public on purpose. He knew what the reaction from the fans would be like, making Rothwell time at Rovers untenable. 

Clearly Rothwell wants to move on, Mowbray doesn’t trust him now to give 100% so wants him gone now.

Venkys don’t want to sell Rothwell but I think Mowbray has now made that situation impossible. He clearly thinks he can make the team better by selling Rothwell and reinvesting the cash. 

Smart move by Tony. Make Rothwell situation at the club untenable thus making Venkys sell and reinvesting that money. He will have targets in mind 100%. Parkes and Waggott will also know finances needed for said deals.

Actually quite excited to see what happens!

Exactly this. There's no way Rothwell is here on 1st Feb and Mowbray already knows who he wants.

• Like 3

It's well known that there isn't any loyalty in football, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing when these things happen.

Rothwell finally turns up this season, positively affecting games for us. Helps us into 2nd place but doesn't want to see the job through? It's a poor do, looking at it as a fan.

If the talk is true about his salary being quadrupled at Brentford or wherever, then I can see why he wants to go. I would be fuming if it was Bournemouth he was angling to sign for, though. A Premier League side you can accept.

He's probably looking at the Dack situation and how injury stopped him from leaving and thinking he has to take the opportunity now. £6m is a belting offer, if true, and more than I expected.

Just hope Mowbray has a couple of good replacements lined up. Fully agree with the Jon Swift shouts, he would be a quality addition. I always look forward to deadline day (even though we don't usually do much) and it looks like it's going to be an eventful one this time. Interesting couple of days to come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, booth said:

Exactly this. There's no way Rothwell is here on 1st Feb and Mowbray already knows who he wants.

Bang on. Could of kept things behind closed doors but needed to force Venkys hand.

targets will have been sounded out, we will be  working on the deals now, knowing the Rothwell money is incoming.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

We are notoriously slow at getting deals done/over the line. Not sure we'd be getting much in even if we let JR leave.

Too late in the window but Mowbrays interview seems like it's set up for Rothwell to be on the move.

If it’s set up for Rothwell to leave them we will have deals already set up to replace. 

34 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Glen9. Cheers –several good posts.

Some tosh on here- Rothwell didn’t refuse to play.

Whichever way I look at it, it’s shithousery on Rothwell behalf, letting everyone including his teammates and himself down when the club is in second place in the league and promotion a real prospect.

There you go –Rothwell (who according to many is average at best) is now the reason why we will not get promotion.

Plus a load of Neanderthal macho crap on here. Leave one on him. Jeeze.

If darragh downed tools I'd bea amazed . . Rothwell is a shithouse . Darragh in the past hasn't always been the best  but a shithouse he is anything but….

……Darragh down-tooled when we got relegated and Sheff United wanted him…..

And now loads coming out and saying he wasn’t good enough anyway, let’s get rid. LOL.

Mowbray said after the game it was joes choice

Can't remember darrah faking injury for 2 games.

Is this you average Joe??

Edited by Rochdale_rover
  • Like 1