BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My argument would be, prior to this season, he's never been given a fair run to establish himself.  He was in and out, shunted here and shunted there.

It was clear to me from day one the lad had real talent and could excite the fans.  When you have a talent like that, you nurture and give lots of tlc and then you end up with something special and a player who recognises what you've done for them.

When you think of some of the nonentities who've curried favour with Mowbray and the way he's looked after them, it's a real sickener. 

I know there'll be plenty who agree with that, and that it's feasible that Joe Rothwell is one of them! My view though is that is that he had chances to make the shirt his own and didn't take them in years 1 and 2. Last year he was a starter in his favoured position too. Very talented, but not productive enough until this season.

Anyway, like I say it's possible that Rothwell agrees with you and that's led to him wanting out, but personally I'm looking at his behaviour at Oxford and I'm thinking that he's looking after number one. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Styles and Dembele would be a guess

I listen to the podcast hosted by the Posh chairman/owner. He’s stated that Dembele won’t be going for any less than £5m and would rather lose him on a free. Hopefully we Rothwell them 😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yankfan said:

We likely haven’t but probably should have already been sourcing replacements. There was always a good chance this was the outcome. 

Mowbray has never been shy of stating there is insufficent time to get replacements in before. So the fact he has explicitly said we can bring players in means (I hope!) we are all lined up.

Hope the two players are good quality, match fit and ready to slot straight in.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

It’s not Bournemouth it’s Brentford, rumoured to be £6million.

Even with Premiership money on hand, it seems very odd for them to want to pay 6 million for him. He will be free in 6 months (plus will have shown whether he can stay consistent by then). It's not like they're really in the relegation fight or challenging for Europe, so it seems a bit wasteful from a cleverly ran club.

I suppose if we went up there's a chance he wouldn't be available for free, but if we don't, well his agent clearly isn't letting him sign our offer if so much more is on the table.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Mowbray has never been shy of stating there is insufficent time to get replacements in before. So the fact he has explicitly said we can bring players in means (I hope!) we are all lined up.

Hope the two players are good quality, match fit and ready to slot straight in.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Defenders and AA replacement was also stated. 

• Like 1

Rothwell's going for the money so let him go. TM saying he doesn't want fans getting on the wrong side of Rothwell but at the same time acknowledges this is football. Wish him well personally but he's damaged our team. Difficult to swallow.

Need him to go quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You don't pay the whole contract up.

So a player who has 2 years left at 50k a week and he is out of favour club sell him for £10 million and pay the player the remaining 2 years at 50k a week?That isn't how it works in football.

The player will be due a loyalty bonus but not his contract paid up.

You pay a loyalty bonus based on the contract you’ve got. There’s a negotiation absolutely, but the player is owed a loyalty payment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Even with Premiership money on hand, it seems very odd for them to want to pay 6 million for him. He will be free in 6 months (plus will have shown whether he can stay consistent by then). It's not like they're really in the relegation fight or challenging for Europe, so it seems a bit wasteful from a cleverly ran club.

I suppose if we went up there's a chance he wouldn't be available for free, but if we don't, well his agent clearly isn't letting him sign our offer if so much more is on the table.

Yes - agree it is very weird.

Might have done the MoneyBall thing on him (as that's how Brentford operate) - looking for a midfielder, looked at the stats, and decided £6M is a bargain compared to the other options available and just gone for it.

• Like 1

A sale of at least one of the three out of contract is not new news, Waggott has publically stated 3 or 4 times if the contracts remain unsigned then they would look to cut losses in January. 

Its poor timing from JR, but the idiots at Ewood have to take the responsibility for putting us in this position, and welcoming bids from September onwards too.

The scary thing, is we have not learnt our lesson, other contracts are ticking down and we are not getting a grip of these either.

Second in table, a growing injury list, and now a cloud which had blown from the incompetence of the board, in not forseeing the path we were on.

He needs to go now, as no real way back, but if we end up worse off after the window, then the idiots in the boardroom need to follow, as we are unlikely to get a better chance of promotion than we have right now.

We've gone from needing 2 or 3 players to potentially needing 4 or 5 given the injuries and now pending departures

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cherry Blue said:

Rothwell's going for the money so let him go. TM saying he doesn't want fans getting on the wrong side of Rothwell but at the same time acknowledges this is football. Wish him well personally but he's damaged our team. Difficult to swallow.

Need him to go quickly.

If a safe premier league club comes in for any player in the Championship it's very hard to hold that against the player imo. 99% of footballers - and the fans in the crowd if they were footballers - would take the opportunity. Just how life is.

I'd only really be pissed off if it does turn out to be Bournemouth or another Championship club.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Its all a mess really, but unless that big cheque arrives, I cannot see Venkys changing their stance. They will not be dictated to by anyone, and would sooner lose the money and have the player rot in the reserves than have it aimed at them, that they sold one of our key players at a time our when we have the best chance ever to go up.

This bit is the worry for me. The entire structure behind the scenes seems really convoluted, and remits unclear.

As much as I’ve criticised the pair of them in the past, Mowbray and Waggott have got me believing a return to the top flight is possible. Venky’s need to show them some trust and let them get on with trying to succeed in that. If Mowbray wants him gone, he should be gone, and he should be allowed to reinvest the funds.

2 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Let's be honest . When given a chance in the previous 3 seasons he was average (Joe) at best 

He doesn't score. He doesn't create enough. 

If 6 million is true . I'd  snap anyone's hand off. 4 million same answer . 

The amount of times he loses the ball and leaves us wide open.  He would get annihilated in the prem 

I agree that he should be scoring more, but I don't think we should pretend that he's not been vital to us going forward this season. He might not register as many assists as others, but that is largely because he's contributing earlier in moves. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes - agree it is very weird.

Might have done the MoneyBall thing on him (as that's how Brentford operate) - looking for a midfielder, looked at the stats, and decided £6M is a bargain compared to the other options available and just gone for it.

Or it just took his representatives this long to iron out the contract terms. Now it’s settled so time to force the bid through. 

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

You pay a loyalty bonus based on the contract you’ve got. There’s a negotiation absolutely, but the player is owed a loyalty payment. 

Make him hand in a transfer request to make it void? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

A sale of at least one of the three out of contract is not new news, Waggott has publically stated 3 or 4 times if the contracts remain unsigned then they would look to cut losses in January. 

Its poor timing from JR, but the idiots at Ewood have to take the responsibility for putting us in this position, and welcoming bids from September onwards too.

The scary thing, is we have not learnt our lesson, other contracts are ticking down and we are not getting a grip of these either.

Second in table, a growing injury list, and now a cloud which had blown from the incompetence of the board, in not forseeing the path we were on.

He needs to go now, as no real way back, but if we end up worse off after the window, then the idiots in the boardroom need to follow, as we are unlikely to get a better chance of promotion than we have right now.

We've gone from needing 2 or 3 players to potentially needing 4 or 5 given the injuries and now pending departures

Yes the one that worries me is Lenihan - he's had a superb season, in a very similar position to Rothwell, and I can see a Prem club making a last minute bid. If someones willing to take a gamble on Rothwell the same for Lenihan looks very very possible.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

What’s more cowardly is he’s not requesting a transfer. He’s asked to speak to other clubs. The difference being if he requests a transfer he loses the right to his contact and bonuses being paid up. So whatever figure he’s sold for - remember we still need to pay him his contract. Unless he submits a formal transfer request. 

BTW - same agent that’s instigating all of this represents Travis. 

Rothwell,  his agent . Whoever is a scumbag. Years of struggle and decline . Gave  him a chance in this league. Stick by him when he was shit and at best inconsistent. 

Mismanaged maybe. But grasp the chance when you get it . He never did that until this season 

Now to do this with what 52 hrs left of the window when we have half a team out and battling to go up  2 weeks after saying how much he loves it . I'm sorry but f@ck off . 

And if its the prem I hope he come up against us next year and one of our men not boys /cowards leave one on him

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Thats what I said.

But the money won't be close to paying off his contract.

OK - in that case, you’re right and my correction is right. I would suspect after 3.5 years service Joe will get a decent loyalty payment for the remaining 6 months. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Yes the one that worries me is Lenihan - he's had a superb season, in a very similar position to Rothwell, and I can see a Prem club making a last minute bid. If someones willing to take a gamble on Rothwell the same for Lenihan looks very very possible.

I'd be sad to see any more outgoings unless someone wanted Gallagher and we could get another forward in.

Keep that defence together at all costs.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If darragh downed tools I'd bea amazed . . Rothwell is a shithouse . Darragh in the past hasn't always been the best  but a shithouse he is anything but

• Like 6