BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Mowbray says we have turned down bids twice as big as Bournemouth from other clubs for Rothwell 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19878551.blackburn-rovers-stance-joe-rothwell-future-bids-rejected/

I don't believe this.   

Think if Rovers offered £4m+ for Rothwell with less than 6 months to run on his contract and, seemingly, not interested in signing a new contract then he'd be gone.

IMO, Mowbray trying to drive the price up for a last gasp sale.    

1 hour ago, rigger said:

But the strikers are more likely to be injured or suspended than the keeper. We are digressing again. I will state again. I am happy with our dealings this window ! End of my comments on this topic. 

We weren't digressing. This is a transfer thread and we discussed squad strength and where we need to strengthen. You think our squad is fine as is, which is lovely (we will revisit that when an inevitable injury crisis dicks our best chance at promotion since we came down), but if you don't think we need any more players I'm not sure what you're doing in the transfer thread other than maybe trying to antagonise people who do think we need signings.

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

I don't believe this.   

Think if Rovers offered £4m+ for Rothwell with less than 6 months to run on his contract and, seemingly, not interested in signing a new contract then he'd be gone.

Mercer he isn't going anywhere 

He sat there and praised the owners for keeping him and said bids had been turned down that where more than double what Bournemouth had offered.

How stupid would he look and the owners if we accepted a bid of 4 Million now?

It is what it is,he isn't for sale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Pears kept 2 clean sheets when he played those two games. Goalkeepers rarely get injured and most teams will miss their first choice keeper. Striker and CM far more concerning.

Pears was barely challenged in those games. Our goalkeeper has already had an injury, hence Pears playing, and was down not long ago looking like he might have another. Yes, if he never gets injured it won't matter who the backup is, but if he does, we are SCREWED. It's a big risk to take when the position is so cheap to recruit.

1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

We’re on a tight budget. Hardly likely to sign another backup GK when we’ve already got two. Pears was bad in his last match but I think everyone is just hoping that we’ll not have to use him again. The odds are pretty good for that given that we’re approaching the end of the season.

I’d far rather we spent any remaining money on a backup striker or a backup for Travis, which would be a much more sensible use of any resources we have, rather than spending on a fourth GK. 

Those would cost 3 times as much as a keeper most likely, or more. We aren't approaching the end of the season, it's January.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't believe this.   

I think Rothwell doesn't want to go because of the bonus on the table. So doesn't really matter what people offer him unless it's worth more than the bonus.

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't believe this.   

I think the point is more that Bournemouth have been playing silly buggers to try and unsettle us and the player but haven't offered anything like the £2.5 m sum they are reported to have done.

Either way, as a few of us have insisted all along,  none of the three are going anywhere (bar a completely nonsensical bid) and that's exactly the way it should be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think Rothwell doesn't want to go because of the bonus on the table. So doesn't really matter what people offer him unless it's worth more than the bonus.

At this point it doesn't matter what Rothwell wants anyway.

We have said not for sale.We aint selling any of em unless silly money comes in.

Mercers post is based on nothing.We have sold 2 first team players in 5 seasons and now we are going to sell one of Nyambe, Rothwell or Lenihen for a pittance with 18 games left and sat second in the table.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Any deal Rothwell moves for will dwarf his contract here and the bonus on the table that may or may not materialise.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....................................!

2 hours ago, jwlrovers said:

That's only £75,000 a month, so roughly £18,750 a week. Probably a little decrease and it seems within our structure.

Don't know where you got the idea we can pay that much. Doubt anyone is on that money.

Probs more around £10k max I would say. Might have broken it for for Ayala as a one off. Think we are trying to limit ourselves to closer to £5k tops with new signings.

@RoverCanada is all over the numbers. What would be your guess for top earner in £ p/w?

Edited by joey_big_nose

The bonus is clever by the owners with the out of contract player situation. The three of them will want the financial reward so will still need to give their all throughout the season. If we go up then they may get a better offer from the club to stay. It’ll cost a lot to replace the three of them so we really do need to weigh that into the equation when making the offers. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Any deal Rothwell moves for will dwarf his contract here and the bonus on the table that may or may not materialise.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....................................!

We have sold 2 players of value in 5 seasons.

I will bet £100 with you now that now of those 3 will have signed for other clubs by the window closing.

You are just trying to scare monger.No suggestion what so ever that any of the 3 will be sold.So I'm not quite sure how you can conclude that Mowbray is trying to drive the price up.

Why would Rothwell want to join Bournemouth in this window?He has 6 months left on his deal he can speak to who he wants in the summer.

How stupid would he feel if he did join them, we got promoted and Bournemouth didn't.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

£700k is worth £15k a week over a year. Don't think anyone will be beating that. And if he stays he gets hopefully the bonus and a massive new contract.

Time will tell but will be very surprised if he, Nyambe or Lenihan go. No incentive for them to not just wait. It's only four months.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Don't know where you got the idea we can pay that much. Doubt anyone is on that money.

Probs more around £10k max I would say. Might have broken or for Ayala as a one @RoverCanada

Is all over the numbers. What would be your guess for top earner in £ p/w?

Pretty sure I've seen figures with Gallagher being on over £15k. £10k-£15k would be what I would expect Maja would be on, should he come here.

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure the bonus is weighing that heavily in his thinking. If Rovers have any sense he'll probably have to sign a new deal to be eligible for it anyhow.

By now,  he's probably thinking he's better leaving his options until nearer the end of the season. Unless it looks like we're going up automatically the bonus isn't guaranteed and if we don't go up then he'd probably be able to get a better deal financially elsewhere. If however we are looking likely to go up its unlikely he'd get a better deal anywhere else.

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Probs more around £10k max I would say. Might have broken it for for Ayala as a one off. Think we are trying to limit ourselves to closer to £5k tops with new signings.

@RoverCanada is all over the numbers. What would be your guess for top earner in £ p/w?

Gallagher was on 20+ a week contract at Southampton.

He took a cut coming here but it won't be below 15k a week

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Seems fairly widely accepted our wage cap is around £15k p.w. but it seems that we were prepared to pay Armstrong a lot more than that to sign a new deal so I doubt it's completely inflexible.

16 minutes ago, islander200 said:

At this point it doesn't matter what Rothwell wants anyway.

We have said not for sale.We aint selling any of em unless silly money comes in.

Mercers post is based on nothing.We have sold 2 first team players in 5 seasons and now we are going to sell one of Nyambe, Rothwell or Lenihen for a pittance with 18 games left and sat second in the table.

If he wanted to go he'd just stop playing and wed sell him to get some cash.

He's obviously enjoying playing the best football of his career, looking forward to a crack at the bonus, then will have a range of suitors in the summer.

Lifes good for Joe at the moment, as he himself has said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Gallagher was a youth player at Southampton who hardly played and spent his time on loan in the Championship. I doubt that he's on £15k, just my view.

Facts are he was on 20k a week at Southampton.

He wouldn't just walk away from that Joey.At the time he signed it was reported he took a small cut in wages. 

Mulgrew for example was on 14k a week.

47 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If you think the most we are paying is 10k, I'm highly confident you're very wrong. Talk in the past has been of more like double that being the ceiling. I'd be astonished if Dack is on less than 15k.