BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Well you're right but the problem was that TM pushed for it when we hardly had 2 centre-backs to choose from, never mind 3!

Yes - his recruitment policy in that area has been previously lacking. He has been lucky with Wharton emerging (though is it luck, or good planning sending him out on loan to get experience?). Either way - let's hope it continues 🙏 

12 hours ago, rigger said:

Do you honestly think anyone will take any of our stand-bye keepers ? Anyway back to my original statement. As it stands I am happy enough with our business this window

So you're admitting they're not remotely good enough to be stand-by for a promotion chasing side then, if you don't think someone in League One or Two would take them on loan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

As mentioned above, I don't know if Mowbray specified when these mysterious much larger bids came in from other clubs, so, if real, could've been back in the summer - though, admittedly, it would be surprising as he hasn't hit consistent form til now. Additionally, the figures can be massaged when quoting them, depending if you include or exclude major add ons.

I understand Rovers gamble on trying to keep Rothwell but it's a risky one for the club as promotion will be touch and go, I feel, On balance, I feel it's right now that we're in the position we're in - but, overall, I believe the club have got the contract situations very wrong, to let so many players enter their final years and risk losing their potential asset values (as much as I dislike the idea of human beings carrying a monetary value).

Either way, the club should've brought in a central midfielder, or nurtured an internal promotion from the U23s, for a long time, in case Rothwell goes now or one of the other starters gets injured. It's been long overdue and, to my mind, a threat to our promotion chances, should we rely too much on Johnson.

The contract situation has been an odd one for me.

Lenihan's was completely mis-manged, had his disciplinary concerns, but always been solid.

Rothwell, I'll be honest, I'd have sold in summer. Glad I'm not making them decisions now! Will be a huge loss.

Nyambe's sounds mostly (albeit from the club) to be player driven, rather than an insulting package from us. He's young, no commitments, and been here 13 years. May well just fancy a new challenge. Again, before the season, if it was clear he wasn't going to sign I'd have sold then.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So you're admitting they're not remotely good enough to be stand-by for a promotion chasing side then, if you don't think someone in League One or Two would take them on loan.

Goalkeeper is the least concerning position, surely you see that.

37 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, they are not remotely good enough, but they are what we have got. The original error in relying on sub-standard players is afait-a-complee. But in our financial position we have to make do with what we have. I would suggest that the same will happen with another striker. I am dissapointed with the situation, but things could be worse. Get down to Ewood tonight and look at the future.

Edited by rigger

This article says we're interested in Maja, however it also says Bordeaux are keen to wipe his €90,000-per-month salary from their wage bill! If he's on that much I can't see him rocking up at Ewood.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc-transfer-gossip-ps38m-rated-ex-cats-striker-wanted-by-birmingham-city-blackburn-rovers-and-mls-clubs-3543808

Edited by ChrisyG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisyG said:

This article says we're interested in Maja, however it also says Bordeaux are keen to wipe his €90,000-per-month salary from their wage bill! If he's on that much I can't see him rocking up at Ewood.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc-transfer-gossip-ps38m-rated-ex-cats-striker-wanted-by-birmingham-city-blackburn-rovers-and-mls-clubs-3543808

That's only £75,000 a month, so roughly £18,750 a week. Probably a little decrease and it seems within our structure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

TM rubbished it this morning, says we’ve not been back for Maja since the summer.

35 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Goalkeeper is the least concerning position, surely you see that.

Not remotely, I've been super clear about that. Surely you see that if Kaminski is injured we are absolutely boned?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rigger said:

Yes, they are not remotely good enough, but they are what we have got. The original error in relying on sub-standard players is afait-a-complee. But in our financial position we have to make do with what we have. I would suggest that the same will happen with another striker. I am dissapointed with the situation, but things could be worse. Get down to Ewood tonight and look at the future.

Our backup strikers aren't as below par as our backup keeper. It's not even close.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Our backup strikers aren't as below par as our backup keeper. It's not even close.

But the strikers are more likely to be injured or suspended than the keeper. We are digressing again. I will state again. I am happy with our dealings this window ! End of my comments on this topic. 

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not remotely, I've been super clear about that. Surely you see that if Kaminski is injured we are absolutely boned?

Pears kept 2 clean sheets when he played those two games. Goalkeepers rarely get injured and most teams will miss their first choice keeper. Striker and CM far more concerning.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The form of Forest and Middlesbrough has to be a concern as they have been relentless over the last couple of months. But we have a cushion and our form is also very good so if they manage to overturn that gap in the coming 18 games that will take some going. For example Forest would effectively need a 4-5 game swing of wins for them and defeats for us to overtake us. Of course it can be done but there isn't much scope in 18 games remaining to do that if we sustain our good form. It soon gets to a point where they can't have many slip ups.

QPR have been in good form and their run of late winners this season is impressive and indicative of a side with a strong mentality and never say die attitude, but it is also indicative of a side that relies on fine margins and isn't putting teams to bed in games and you can't rely on late goals forever.

I am worried that WBA will make a managerial change soon. I hope they stick with Ismael at least until we play them as watching them last night they were absolutely abysmal.

I think those teams you mention might just be thinking very much the same as Rovers who are as relentless as those and Fulham!

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Pears kept 2 clean sheets when he played those two games. Goalkeepers rarely get injured and most teams will miss their first choice keeper. Striker and CM far more concerning.

If it's only loans I think it will be easier to loan a decent left back than midfielder.

With the left back we can offer a chance of a  starting place as Pickering is 3/4 weeks off.

Edun is better in midfield, use him there if Travis is out.

If I was Mowbray, I'd be looking to loan a low cost keeper who is good in the air. Not sure if one exists but shouldn't be too expensive if we sacrifice shot stopping a little. Seen a lot of games where kaminski is relatively untested besides claiming high balls.

Can see both sides of the priority argument but a decent backup keeper and another CM and I'd consider it an excellent window (if we don't lose anyone). Not sure we could justify another LB but even that would come before a striker for me with brereton, khadra, gally and Dolan as options. Butterworth and hopefully dack to consider as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jwlrovers said:

That's only £75,000 a month, so roughly £18,750 a week. Probably a little decrease and it seems within our structure.

There are established players already here they don't seem to want to go that far for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

We’re on a tight budget. Hardly likely to sign another backup GK when we’ve already got two. Pears was bad in his last match but I think everyone is just hoping that we’ll not have to use him again. The odds are pretty good for that given that we’re approaching the end of the season.

I’d far rather we spent any remaining money on a backup striker or a backup for Travis, which would be a much more sensible use of any resources we have, rather than spending on a fourth GK. 

• Like 1

I don't understand the scramble for Maja. Yeah, he's a decent player but he's not played footballer proper for months. We need someone that can hit the ground running - not someone that won't play till March/April. Just my opinion, obviously.

I do think there will be someone that we've not thought of that may come in. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If it's only loans I think it will be easier to loan a decent left back than midfielder.

With the left back we can offer a chance of a  starting place as Pickering is 3/4 weeks off.

Edun is better in midfield, use him there if Travis is out.

Good point but not for me, if you arent physical enough to play LB, you certainly aren't physical enough to play the Travis role.

33 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I don't understand the scramble for Maja. Yeah, he's a decent player but he's not played footballer proper for months. We need someone that can hit the ground running - not someone that won't play till March/April. Just my opinion, obviously.

I do think there will be someone that we've not thought of that may come in. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Tony Mowbray just dismissed Maja for the same reason as you, haven't played football. Regarding Hedges he was more coy, but said probably not this window.

Also indicated that we're looking at more than one signing, and that both loan and permanent was an option.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I still think Boro or Forest will come through the pack and challenge. QPR are due some bad luck.

If we get twelve wins it doesn't matter what WBA, Boro, QPR or Forest do.

Hopefully not Bournemouth either.

That's how we've got to approach it. 

Then the others can knock themselves out!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, briansol said:

Tony Mowbray just dismissed Maja for the same reason as you, haven't played football. Regarding Hedges he was more coy, but said probably not this window.

Also indicated that we're looking at more than one signing, and that both loan and permanent was an option.

Well, we certainly seem to have played a blinder in trying to convince everyone that money is tight, my only reservation would be over the competence and ability of those on the ground at Ewood to get the necessary deals done in time.