BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

17 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Even the player himself doesn't see wing back as the position he wants to play going forward.

Last season if memory serves me right he played well in a few of the hidings we dished out when no defending had to be done.

Robertson wouldn't be playing for Liverpool if he couldn't defend.

He is a decent prospect and has some good attributes but not in that position for me 

23 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Lots of the fan base?The manager yes.So you think he can defend?

If you would be happy with JRC 1 side and Edun the other then no convincing you.

Nyambe is the better option

Yup. No one batted an eye lid when Mowbray picked JRC over Nyambe (as a FULLBACK)…you do even less defending as a wing back.

My prediction is that Zeefuik will ease him out pretty soon. Assuming he’s even still here by next Tuesday. Seems like we have quite a lot of cover at RB now…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yup. No one batted an eye lid when Mowbray picked JRC over Nyambe (as a FULLBACK)…you do even less defending as a wing back.

My prediction is that Zeefuik will ease him out pretty soon. Assuming he’s even still here by next Tuesday. Seems like we have quite a lot of cover at RB now…

JRC is not a wingback/ Full back.Nyambe superior

You have hardly seen Zeefuik, a decent cameo granted.

You seem to think because the manager prefers JRC then it must be right.You wanted him out yourself last season 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yup, we’re second and therefore we cannot possibly find a better option than what we have….right?

Nah, not for me. JRC and Dack are long term injuries that would have been playing the whole way through had they been available.

Weve got people slaughtering a striker who’s scored half a dozen goals in a dozen games and then others lauding a wing back who hasn’t created a single goal as “integral” 🙈

Lets get it right, Nyambe’s a good championship defender. But a wing back, NEVER! He’ll be out of the team once Zeefuik and JRC get upto speed.

Let’s see 👍🏼

I think Nyambe is much under-rated. I would be delighted if he remained at the club and fought with Zeefuik for that right wing-back spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

All opinions of course and pace is a bonus but I’d say that the key attributes for high performing attacking full backs / wing backs are around their ability to assist goals and deliver quality in the final third. 

You don't see pace as essential in all that? Odd.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Just my opinion. I think JRC has a lot more quality than Nyambe and I believe he’ll prove it to. It won’t be hard tbf….Nyambe’s assists are probably less than five in his career and zero goals….so yeah 👍🏼

I am just asking when you have seen evidence that Rankin Costello is a good attacking wing back. You question Nyambe's assist numbers, fair enough, but where is the evidence that Rankin Costello is a good attacking wing back, aside from a decent cross v Reading last season?  I get that its your opinion, but are there examples that you can think of regarding his supposed attacking prowess.

Thats putting to one side the fact that you are solely obsessing about the attacking side of being a wing back, never acknowledging the importance of being able to defend still, which Nyambe is very good at, proving as much in our good run of form, being out of the team with Rankin Costello covering in the only loss in that time.

• Like 1

If there isn't a decent budget from the owners this window then they might as well sell up because if they aren't going to move heaven and earth to back the club and manager in this position they never will.

If there is a decent budget available and Mowbray/Waggott decide not to use it or fail to get deals over the line then I would hope the owners would be furious if it cost us promotion through shortage of numbers.

I'm still expecting more talk of multiple signings only to get one in and expect more talk of people down at Brockhall with suitcases packed ready to join only for it to fall through due to unforeseen issues or demands etc.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, islander200 said:

JRC is not a wingback/ Full back.Nyambe superior

You have hardly seen Zeefuik, a decent cameo granted.

You seem to think because the manager prefers JRC then it must be right.You wanted him out yourself last season 

JRC should be an excellent wing back. 

You speak about jumping the gun with Zeefuik, but right off  the rusty JRC after one game, when the problem was we had no defensive midfielder. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am just asking when you have seen evidence that Rankin Costello is a good attacking wing back. You question Nyambe's assist numbers, fair enough, but where is the evidence that Rankin Costello is a good attacking wing back, aside from a decent cross v Reading last season?  I get that its your opinion, but are there examples that you can think of regarding his supposed attacking prowess.

Thats putting to one side the fact that you are solely obsessing about the attacking side of being a wing back, never acknowledging the importance of being able to defend still, which Nyambe is very good at, proving as much in our good run of form, being out of the team with Rankin Costello covering in the only loss in that time.

Last season he showed plenty, and the season before. Both at fullback. He even did a decent job for us at left back. His versatility will be handy for us. 

7 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

You speak about jumping the gun with Zeefuik, but right off  the rusty JRC after one game, when the problem was we had no defensive midfielder. 

I am not talking about that Hull game, he was dreadful but as you say, its hard to come to conclusions after such a long time out. My opinions are based on his whole senior career.

5 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Last season he showed plenty, and the season before. Both at fullback. He even did a decent job for us at left back. His versatility will be handy for us. 

When did he show plenty? Do you have examples? I dont remember loads of crosses being put in or attacking prowess shown. I am unsure from where this perception has come from that he is this dangerous, attack minded player.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Hahah - I’m not defending the club, I’m asking you to stop relentlessly blaming them for doing something that you can’t even prove they’ve done! 🙈

What are you talking about?

They didn't sign Armstrong up to a new deal.

They haven't signed Lenihan Nyambe or Rothwell up to new deals.

They have yet to sign Brereton, Travis or Kaminski to new deals.

All that is fact. You may think there is nothing odd in that . Most rational people might see a pattern emerging.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

When did he show plenty? Do you have examples? I dont remember loads of crosses being put in or attacking prowess shown. I am unsure from where this perception has come from that he is this dangerous, attack minded player.

JRC has shown nothing whatsoever at senior level to date to suggest he's up to the grade, if you were arguing Lenihan or Rothwell were better than Nyambe at least there's a debate to be had but to claim JRC is better than Nyambe is simply ludicrous.

You might as well say Butterworth or Chapman are better.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yankfan said:

If the deals aren’t signed because they players believe they can get more, isn’t that the definition of the deals not being good enough? 

Not really its called having a wage structure that you are not prepared to exceed. If they believe their agent will get a better deal elsewhere then fair to them but thats the risk they take!!

The topic is going way off tangent again....

It's ridiculous for anyone who watches purely first team games to say JRC is better than Nyambe though, purely on the basis he hasn't even played enough! He only made his debut in 2020, played a few good games and got in the efl team of the week, then injured again and again. 

He's obviously highly rated by people within the club who have seen a lot more of him so we can only really trust their judgement, especially since Joe bucked the trend and signed a contract last year....

We can't even say for sure that he's pencilled in to contest the RB/WB spot with Nyambe anyway, that's possibly more why he brought Zeefuik in. The Hull game we had little choice but to play him there, but its also highly likely Nyambe picks up up knock or a hammy strain before the the end of the season. We know TM loves a utility man who can play a few different positions, he also alluded to the players coming in this transfer window to fit that criteria as well.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Eh? You remember don’t you that prior to his injuries, JRC was preferred over Nyambe? It was pretty much accepted.

Crazy this!! 🤣🤣….you watch, JRC will get fit, then start showing his quality on the ball again and people will start acting like it’s fresh news 🙈

Sorry but that's one of the reasons we were lower on the table. JRC has great energy and can do an ok job against certain teams/players, but is nowhere near Nyambes level. I believe Mowbray mismanaged Nyambe when selecting Bennett and JRC before him, at a stage of Nyambes contract where it would have been natural to renew it. JRC lacks composure, the final ball, pace and physicality. Deputy role in MF at best...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Sorry but that's one of the reasons we were lower on the table. JRC has great energy and can do an ok job against certain teams/players, but is nowhere near Nyambes level. I believe Mowbray mismanaged Nyambe when selecting Bennett and JRC before him, at a stage of Nyambes contract where it would have been natural to renew it. JRC lacks composure, the final ball, pace and physicality. Deputy role in MF at best...

Sound 👍🏼

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What are you talking about?

They didn't sign Armstrong up to a new deal.

They haven't signed Lenihan Nyambe or Rothwell up to new deals.

They have yet to sign Brereton, Travis or Kaminski to new deals.

All that is fact. You may think there is nothing odd in that . Most rational people might see a pattern emerging.

Travis, Buckley, Dack and Gallagher spring to mind. Stop making the the rhetoric fit your argument.

See, we can all select names to fit our argument. Just admit to yourself that there’s many many reasons why players don’t sign contracts but it usually comes down to the two parties not sharing the same belief around value. It’s no one’s fault, just differing opinions like you and I.

It is the ‘fault’ of a club if a raft (not just one) of players are sold or go on a free with contracts running down. Said club obviously can’t offer sufficient wages or ambition to convince them to stay.

Disclaimer - from a Rovers perspective it’s all ifs and buts at this stage as they haven’t gone yet and the contracts are on the table.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Travis, Buckley, Dack and Gallagher spring to mind. Stop making the the rhetoric fit your argument.

See, we can all select names to fit our argument. Just admit to yourself that there’s many many reasons why players don’t sign contracts but it usually comes down to the two parties not sharing the same belief around value. It’s no one’s fault, just differing opinions like you and I.

Travis signed his deal before Venkys embarked on another cost cutting era. Even then he will have been on a low cost deal in keeping with his status as an u23s player breaking through to the first team.

Dack's deal was by many accounts lined up and agreed prior to his first major injury and was sealed after he returned to fitness. 

Buckley again see Travis - a kid coming through from the U23s signing a senior deal - easy for the club to manage 

Gallagher- many people have suggested he is on the same money as before just for longer which probably explains how they got that done.

Nobody established in the first team has been offered and signed new improved terms since 2019 (unless Gallagher has had a raise which if so raises serious questions)

All those players and not one has decided to accept the club's valuation of them. That tells me the club is doing something wrong. Personally I'm not convinced there are improved terms worthy of consideration on the table.

Quite simply Venkys won't agree to pay them more. The wage bill is being cut. And with a moron like Waggott delivering on that it is a recipe for disaster.

As I say I hope they feel good about the thousands a week they are saving (whilst still losing tens of millions a year) and allowing good players to leave to rivals for nothing depriving the club of millions in value 

Short sightedness in action but then again there has never been much of a plan.

12 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

We don’t know mate. We don’t fuckin know! Tbf I’d suggest that our history tells us we probably give people too much on huge contracts!

My point is, there are two (or three parties Inc agents) in these negotiations. Any one of those parties (or more) could be holding up the signing of the contracts! So why must it ALWAYS be automatically the clubs fault?

All anyone is asking for is a bit of balance 🤷🏽‍♂️

I know what your point is, I disagree with it.

I refer you to my previous comment, would this have been allowed under Walker and Williams? The answer to that question is a firm no, they ran a proper football club.

If we had spent the past 10yrs getting wages under control and not pissing money down the drain I'd be inclined to hold out on contracts, but these owners have never attempted to get wages under control, they couldn't care less, so give these players what they want and sign them up, job done, promotion campaign boost right there.

But no, we're hiding behind some bullshit wage cap that doesn't exist, or if it does, was brought in this summer to explain why we missed out on most of our original targets. 

Never refused to sign a check? Ask Henning Berg if thats true, or the local businesses that never got paid when we went down under king rat.

Edited by Gav

9 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

people with suitcases have been in and around the building for the last 3 days and some are still around the club now!☺️

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Blimey it's slow on the transfer front then...

Roll on Monday evening.

This is the “why can’t we force people to sign contracts” thread😃 

• Like 2

In business you can only control costs, you cannot control income. Income is mostly a random function, you can plan and forecast all you like but you cannot control it.

If there is no cap on wage costs and there's no money coming through the turnstiles then there's only one outcome - no more club.

Someone once said that for every question there is always one obvious, easily stated, readily understood WRONG answer. Blaming the club for having a wage policy is wrong, blaming the club for players not accepting modest terms is wrong. Blaming stay away fans for not putting cash into the coffers gets more traction with me though no doubt I'll be howled down for that thought.

IMO the owners, who have done plenty wrong at our club, have at least got this one right. We need a wage policy. They are throwing their own money away by not cashing in on the want-away players and all in a bid at giving us the best possible shot at promotion. Plus they're funding new arrivals within the restrictions of FFP. What more could be realistically asked for?

If Ewood was full every week then I'd be the first to criticise the club for allowing contracts to run down but it's not. We have to wee with the willy we've got. If the players go they go. See who else is out there and WANTS to play for our great club and let's get on with it. COYB.

• Like 2