BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Where have you been for the past 10yrs Paul? This lot have handled everything badly, I'm still waiting for Hoilett to sign........

I look at it this way, would the club under Williams and Walker have allowed 3 or 4 first team regulars in 1992 or 2001 squads to run down the contracts in the promotion season? Not a bleedin chance!

Its not like we're getting the wages under control at the club, they've been off the scale for past 10yrs under this shower and will remain so because they couldn't care less, its pocket change to them.

We don’t know mate. We don’t fuckin know! Tbf I’d suggest that our history tells us we probably give people too much on huge contracts!

My point is, there are two (or three parties Inc agents) in these negotiations. Any one of those parties (or more) could be holding up the signing of the contracts! So why must it ALWAYS be automatically the clubs fault?

It may well be the club at fault, but it’s not nailed on is it? SW told me that DL believes he can get a PL club. Said that Nyambe’s agent was the problem there but that he thought DL and JR would prob sign.

All anyone is asking for is a bit of balance 🤷🏽‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Turn it in mate. Yeah, the same manager who now has us second place with the 15th highest budget in the league. It’s laughable that you could even consider yourself more qualified to pick a player than him.

Football is all about opinions but you waxing lyrical about Nyambe is painful. I stand by the my opinion that a fully fit JRC is a better WING BACK than Nyambe who’s a decent fullback but attacking abilities are average at best. Zeefuik provided a glimpse of what a decent wing back can do in 20 mins at the weekend. In those two fleeting moments he provided more penetration than Nyambe has done in 5yrs!

Back on point. Maybe the contracts on offer aren’t great? Maybe they are….the point I’m making is around people like you who chat so much bilge in order to run the club down. You don’t know anything about those contract negotiations …I don’t either (other than what SW told me) and even I don’t go round making out that was gospel….the end.

You did once say that Venkys never refuse to sign a cheque as if it was gospel, a statement you couldnt possibly be qualified to make.

No way is Rankin Costello better than Nyambe. Nyambe has limitations but for some reason the defensive side of being a wing back seems to have been forgotten, even acknowledging that is more attacking than being a full back. But where and how did Rankin Costello get a reputation as a good attacking wing back/full back? It seems to be assumed bur ive never really known why.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The promotion bonus should only be available to those who are still here next season!

Argh, I give up!

A bonus is outcomes based. The promotion bonus is GENIUS because whether or not this three believe they are too good for us, it keeps them motivated to drive Blackburn Rovers towards its goal of getting to the Premier League.

Without that bonus what would three ‘soon to be out of contract’ players be killing themselves for between now and May? 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You don’t know anything about those contract negotiations …I don’t either 

So therefore I don't see how you can defend the Club without knowing anything about it.

My point is not so much about the amount on offer to the players as I don't know how much they've been offered. The point is Armstrong was out of contract, the current three are coming out of contract and we could have exactly the same problem with Kaminsky Brereton and Travis in 12 months time.

That would suggest that it's not just one or two bad apples being greedy but that there's been a systemic failure of how we've dealt with players Contracts in the past. 

Maybe explains the unseemly haste to extend Gallagher's contract?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Without that bonus what would three ‘soon to be out of contract’ players be killing themselves for between now and May? 

If they're intent on leaving, the best move possible.

Won't do any of them much good if they stink the place out between now and April and we drop down to mid table will it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Simple answer yes - because the players or possibly their agents have decided the deals aren't good enough.

The fault on this lies with the Club. It's down to the manager to prioritise and identify which are our really important players that need rewarding accordingly and those which aren't quite as crucial. Mowbray has failed to do that over the last few seasons and has thrown silly money at players who aren't up to it and squad fillers.

Then, when you've successfully identified your key players you need to get the deals done in good time. By the time you've left it too late as we did with these 3, all the power lies with the player.

Right if the offers are good enough to meet the player (and their agents) demands they’d sign them. The deals aren’t good enough presently. That could change if the player and the agent later find no better offers exist. However, at the moment the offers on the table are not good enough for pen to paper. Today no one can argue the offers are not good enough to sign the players. Offer being both money, club, level of play, manager, etc. 

No way is Costello a wing back. The one attribute you expect a good wing back to possess is pace, and lots of it. The very nature of the position requires you frequent bursts forward and back.  Pace is something Costello most certainly does not possess. I don't mean that negatively, the lad's got lots of other very useful attributes- he's relatively skilful and can pick a pass.  Henceforthwith I see him as centre midfielder. The fact you can shoehorn him into a wingback role is a credit to his versatility, but he does not possess the attributes to play their to a consistently decent standard- I'd have Nyambe there all day every day above Costello. Rather see him utilized in the middle of the park.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

No way is Costello a wing back. The one attribute you expect a good wing back to possess is pace, and lots of it. The very nature of the position requires you frequent bursts forward and back.  Pace is something Costello most certainly does not possess. I don't mean that negatively, the lad's got lots of other very useful attributes- he's relatively skilful and can pick a pass.  Henceforthwith I see him as centre midfielder. The fact you can shoehorn him into a wingback role is a credit to his versatility, but he does not possess the attributes to play their to a consistently decent standard- I'd have Nyambe there all day every day above Costello. Rather see him utilized in the middle of the park.

All opinions of course and pace is a bonus but I’d say that the key attributes for high performing attacking full backs / wing backs are around their ability to assist goals and deliver quality in the final third. For my money JRC is far and away in front of Nyambe on that front. Nyambe has absolutely no idea what to do once he crosses the halfway line and his end product is woeful.

Good, solid championship fullback (in the traditional sense) but nowhere near enough quality to play wing back.

Im hoping Zeefuik embodies Nyambes pace and more importantly JRC’s quality 🙌🏽

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So therefore I don't see how you can defend the Club without knowing anything about it.

My point is not so much about the amount on offer to the players as I don't know how much they've been offered. The point is Armstrong was out of contract, the current three are coming out of contract and we could have exactly the same problem with Kaminsky Brereton and Travis in 12 months time.

That would suggest that it's not just one or two bad apples being greedy but that there's been a systemic failure of how we've dealt with players Contracts in the past. 

Maybe explains the unseemly haste to extend Gallagher's contract?

Hahah - I’m not defending the club, I’m asking you to stop relentlessly blaming them for doing something that you can’t even prove they’ve done! 🙈

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

But we are in that position now, and they're still not committing.

If we miss out this year with this squad, do you think we’ll challenge again next year?

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If they're intent on leaving, the best move possible.

Won't do any of them much good if they stink the place out between now and April and we drop down to mid table will it?

Be crap in mid table with or without the bonus…

BUT our target is promotion and so if they’re not going to sign a contract then the bonus is absolutely the best next thing the club could’ve done to motivate them!

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Argh, I give up!

A bonus is outcomes based. The promotion bonus is GENIUS because whether or not this three believe they are too good for us, it keeps them motivated to drive Blackburn Rovers towards its goal of getting to the Premier League.

I agree that it would be illogical (and potentially divisive) to only give a bonus to players who will be here next season. Its a reward for this season, not a bribe.

But "genius?" Surely its just normal to have bonuses, every player in the Championship would benefit financially from a promotion im sure.

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

All opinions of course and pace is a bonus but I’d say that the key attributes for high performing attacking full backs / wing backs are around their ability to assist goals and deliver quality in the final third. For my money JRC is far and away in front of Nyambe on that front. Nyambe has absolutely no idea what to do once he crosses the halfway line and his end product is woeful.

Good, solid championship fullback (in the traditional sense) but nowhere near enough quality to play wing back.

When has Rankin Costello proved this? How many goals has he assisted? When did all of these deliveries take place?

33 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Nyambe's final ball may be poor but as an attacking outlet he isn't as bad as made out,he gets the team forward and supports the attack and often looks for a simple ball to a more creative player which isn't the worst, we wouldn't see JRC bursting past  defender and driving the ball in toward goal he also has the pace to recover and 1 v 1 defensively he is the best of our wing/full backs 

If JRC who I do rate just not as a wing or full back had been in the side since Fulham I'd wager we wouldn't have had as many clean sheets as we have now

11 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Yes - his recruitment policy in that area has been previously lacking. He has been lucky with Wharton emerging (though is it luck, or good planning sending him out on loan to get experience?). Either way - let's hope it continues 🙏 

Everything has come right at once this season! He's sorted out the defence after seasons of neglect, the loans are contributing hugely, both strikers are scoring. Its a miracle I never expected to see while he was in charge.

By any logical reasoning he should have gone during that horror run we experienced last season but he didn't and I'm now glad he didn't.

The only blight on the horizon is the contract situation, but I doubt Mowbray is responsible for that

A good wing back has to be able to defend and attack probably in equal measure and iv'e prattled on constantly Nyambe isn't good at both. His workrate, speed and strength enable him to keep doing an ok job there though whilst JRC has non of those attributes.

He's a better baller - allegedly- but as far as right wing back or right back go it's a no contest, he should be nowhere near it now we have 2 who can do it.  I think some are assuming any right sided attacking mid can convert to wing back just because they have a fancy name !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree that it would be illogical (and potentially divisive) to only give a bonus to players who will be here next season. Its a reward for this season, not a bribe.

But "genius?" Surely its just normal to have bonuses, every player in the Championship would benefit financially from a promotion im sure.

When has Rankin Costello proved this? How many goals has he assisted? When did all of these deliveries take place?

Just my opinion. I think JRC has a lot more quality than Nyambe and I believe he’ll prove it to. It won’t be hard tbf….Nyambe’s assists are probably less than five in his career and zero goals….so yeah 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Turn it in mate. Yeah, the same manager who now has us second place with the 15th highest budget in the league. It’s laughable that you could even consider yourself more qualified to pick a player than him.

What so in the history of the game a manager has never been wrong about a player?

Mowbray threw Raya under a bus and he has since gone on to get promoted been linked with 15 million moves to Arsenal and if he was fit and made available for transfer would have no shortage of takers.

Kaminski yes has been a good signing but that doesn't take away from the fact we lost a goalkeeper with outstanding potential in Raya for 5 million and since he has gone on to get promoted and is valued probably 4 times what we got for him.

Was he right when he persisted with Bell for as long as he did?

This Zeefuik may turn out to be better than Nyambe but we wouldn't be as solid with JRC playing wing back we already have one player in Edun we don't want to leave isolated on the other side.

We are getting the results with Nyambe in the side not JRC and no evidence to support JRC inclusion ahead of Nyambe at full back or wing back

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

The only blight on the horizon is the contract situation, but I doubt Mowbray is responsible for that

Amen

Certainly an issue bigger than just one man’s decisions, the clubs budget or ambition.

I can’t remember seeing so many key players out of contract across England, uk and European football.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A good wing back has to be able to defend and attack probably in equal measure and iv'e prattled on constantly Nyambe isn't good at both. His workrate, speed and strength enable him to keep doing an ok job there though whilst JRC has non of those attributes.

He's a better baller - allegedly- but as far as right wing back or right back go it's a no contest, he should be nowhere near it now we have 2 who can do it.  I think some are assuming any right sided attacking mid can convert to wing back just because they have a fancy name !

Eh? You remember don’t you that prior to his injuries, JRC was preferred over Nyambe? It was pretty much accepted.

Crazy this!! 🤣🤣….you watch, JRC will get fit, then start showing his quality on the ball again and people will start acting like it’s fresh news 🙈

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

What so in the history of the game a manager has never been wrong about a player?

Mowbray threw Raya under a bus and he has since gone on to get promoted been linked with 15 million moves to Arsenal and if he was fit and made available for transfer would have no shortage of takers.

Kaminski yes has been a good signing but that doesn't take away from the fact we lost a goalkeeper with outstanding potential in Raya for 5 million and since he has gone on to get promoted and is valued probably 4 times what we got for him.

Was he right when he persisted with Bell for as long as he did?

This Zeefuik may turn out to be better than Nyambe but we wouldn't be as solid with JRC playing wing back we already have one player in Edun we don't want to leave isolated on the other side.

We are getting the results with Nyambe in the side not JRC and no evidence to support JRC inclusion ahead of Nyambe at full back or wing back

Apart from the fact that prior to his injuries, JRC was considered by the manger and lots of the fan base to be the better option.

So yeah…

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Eh? You remember don’t you that prior to his injuries, JRC was preferred over Nyambe? It was pretty much accepted.

Crazy this!! 🤣🤣….you watch, JRC will get fit, then start showing his quality on the ball again and people will start acting like it’s fresh news 🙈

That means what exactly considering Bennett was preferred there at times as well and TM by his own admission rotated positions according to opposition. The old version Mowbray that is not the new T2 version.

Facts are my friend we are second in the league and Nyambe has been an integral part of that not JRC.

End of debate, i'm sure it'll be back next season when JRC and A N Other are vying the spot.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Apart from the fact that prior to his injuries, JRC was considered by the manger and lots of the fan base to be the better option.

So yeah…

Lots of the fan base?The manager yes.So you think he can defend?

If you would be happy with JRC 1 side and Edun the other then no convincing you.

Nyambe is the better option

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

So yeah…

Even the player himself doesn't see wing back as the position he wants to play going forward.

Last season if memory serves me right he played well in a few of the hidings we dished out when no defending had to be done.

Robertson wouldn't be playing for Liverpool if he couldn't defend.

He is a decent prospect and has some good attributes but not in that position for me 

35 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That means what exactly considering Bennett was preferred there at times as well and TM by his own admission rotated positions according to opposition. The old version Mowbray that is not the new T2 version.

Facts are my friend we are second in the league and Nyambe has been an integral part of that not JRC.

End of debate, i'm sure it'll be back next season when JRC and A N Other are vying the spot.

Yup, we’re second and therefore we cannot possibly find a better option than what we have….right?

Nah, not for me. JRC and Dack are long term injuries that would have been playing the whole way through had they been available.

Weve got people slaughtering a striker who’s scored half a dozen goals in a dozen games and then others lauding a wing back who hasn’t created a single goal as “integral” 🙈

Lets get it right, Nyambe’s a good championship defender. But a wing back, NEVER! He’ll be out of the team once Zeefuik and JRC get upto speed.

Let’s see 👍🏼

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1