BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

7 minutes ago, alcd said:

I don't believe there is any leeway whatsoever in the FFP calculations. The trainIng ground "profit" only keeps the loss to about the £13m level of the previous season. This seasons loss can be expected to be around £13m even after the c£10m profit om Armstrong. There is no scope for a sizeable transfer fee if the 3 season aggregate loss is to kept below the £39m limit. 

Could do loan with obligation/option  to buy in the summer if that's the case?

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure how this season's loss would be at previous levels having lost eleven players from the squad in the summer and even if that were correct there is still the safety net of a Brereton sale in summer should we fail to go up.

Would get £15m for him even on a bad day surely.

As with Armstrong any Brereton sale is likely to be after the accounting date for FFP so won't be included in this season's accounting period. Also the net reduction in squad size and reduced wages for the incomers is unlikely to shave more than a couple of million off the loss. 

30 minutes ago, booth said:

People talking about the play offs have forgotten how utterly anxiety inducing the play offs are, it's torture.

having endured 3 losses in the late 80`s and a nerve wracking win over leicester,i confirm i hate the ****** play offs,if we do end up in them,i`ll take in the semi finals and if we get to wembley,watch the match from under a pillow i think🙄

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, booth said:

People talking about the play offs have forgotten how utterly anxiety inducing the play offs are, it's torture.

So is going nowhere in midtable every season with a manager and squad without a care in the world. I'd rather have a stab at the play offs and whatever heart ache it might produce than what we'd been accustomed to.

People will just have to man up and take it on the chin.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

You would have thought Mowbray would have already done that. But no he bought Pears. I agree entirely that we need a better second keeper, but in our present financial situation, I would say if we do spend money it could be used better than getting a player that is unlikely to play for the first team.

Yes, he tried and failed once. Same as he did with the main keeper situation. Walton, then Kaminski. Pears, then hopefully someone better.

The goalkeeper is the cheapest position on the pitch, as it's the most underrated. And it's the only position in which we are utterly fucked if we get one serious injury in it. I can't see a clearer priority for our budget than this, personally.

Pears and the others can also potentially be loaned out to help offset the cost a bit. Pears might surprise us once he has been an established number one again somewhere for a bit. Looks nervous as hell right now though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alcd said:

As with Armstrong any Brereton sale is likely to be after the accounting date for FFP so won't be included in this season's accounting period. Also the net reduction in squad size and reduced wages for the incomers is unlikely to shave more than a couple of million off the loss. 

Then wouldn’t the Armstrong sale be in this years accounts?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, he tried and failed once. Same as he did with the main keeper situation. Walton, then Kaminski. Pears, then hopefully someone better.

The goalkeeper is the cheapest position on the pitch, as it's the most underrated. And it's the only position in which we are utterly fucked if we get one serious injury in it. I can't see a clearer priority for our budget than this, personally.

Pears and the others can also potentially be loaned out to help offset the cost a bit. Pears might surprise us once he has been an established number one again somewhere for a bit. Looks nervous as hell right now though.

Do you honestly think anyone will take any of our stand-bye keepers ? Anyway back to my original statement. As it stands I am happy enough with our business this window

Edited by rigger

36 minutes ago, rigger said:

Do you honestly think anyone will take any of our stand-bye keepers ? Anyway back to my original statement. As it stands I am happy enough with our business this window

We definitely still need as a minimum decent back up for Brereton, Travis and Kaminsky imo.

Arguably also a loan to cover the Poveda/Markanday injuries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'd snap your hands off now  for 6th place and a shot at the playoffs after the last 11 years.

:-0

WE have scored second most goals, and have the current best defence. We are clearly the second best team, and have been for a while..

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Current would make us the no 1 team based on the past dozen games.

Current now counts for nothing at the end of the season. If we are currently the best team then - we'll be going straight up.  However...

This is Rovers mate. Without a shadow of a doubt there will be some major hiccups before the end of the season.  So if you offered me 6th now - which is as good as 3rd -  I'd take it!  

Way above season expectations.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

:-0

WE have scored second most goals, and have the current best defence. We are clearly the second best team, and have been for a while..

The key for me is defence - somehow Mowbray has stumbled on a team formation that defensively works (though I have to give him some credit as he has been pushing 3 at the back for some time).

If you don't concede the least you will get is a point. It worked for Howard Kendall all those years ago - let's hope TM can go one better and get us promoted to the top division.

• Like 1

Stoke City at home MIGHT just be a defining game in this fabulous season. That's my prediction based on the next 14/15 games.

For simply selfish reasons alone, I am hoping the nobbers game will be moved to the Monday night - as we are on a do in Poland and dont get back until late Sunday evening the night before - because that might just be the scene for another promotion party🤑

29 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

The key for me is defence - somehow Mowbray has stumbled on a team formation that defensively works (though I have to give him some credit as he has been pushing 3 at the back for some time).

Well you're right but the problem was that TM pushed for it when we hardly had 2 centre-backs to choose from, never mind 3!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damo100 said:

Current would make us the no 1 team based on the past dozen games.

If you look at the last 5 games, Fulham and QPR have done better than we have. Expecting Fulham to finish first but  getting really edgy about QPR!

• Like 1

Yeah at the beginning of the season, I think most of us would've been more than happy with the play offs. But given our current situation and the way we are playing at the minute, second place is definitely achievable. Even the results of other games seem to be going our way at the minute. I think the team that finishes third, having challenged for second never goes up. It's always the team that go on a run and sneak into sixth that wins the play offs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Current now counts for nothing at the end of the season. If we are currently the best team then - we'll be going straight up.  However...

This is Rovers mate. Without a shadow of a doubt there will be some major hiccups before the end of the season.  So if you offered me 6th now - which is as good as 3rd -  I'd take it!  

Way above season expectations.

I do agree with you on all of this. But I wouldn't take a play-off spot offered now because, right now, we have worked ourselves into a position where we should be aiming even higher and there is little reason why we shouldn't. Top 2 is possible and achievable - although I think we need 3 signings to provide more depth. If we end up just missing out, and finish in the play-offs, I agree that would still be a very good season, above all expectations pre-season. But it is the hope (rather than total belief) of something even greater that I'm clinging onto, for now... Exciting/terrifying!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, 47er said:

If you look at the last 5 games, Fulham and QPR have done better than we have. Expecting Fulham to finish first but  getting really edgy about QPR!

Not sure about QPR, you can't keep relying on late goals and not sure what strength in depth they have. Main threats in my mind are Bournemouth, WBA if they get their act together possibly under a new manager, Forest and Boro.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yeah at the beginning of the season, I think most of us would've been more than happy with the play offs. But given our current situation and the way we are playing at the minute, second place is definitely achievable. Even the results of other games seem to be going our way at the minute. I think the team that finishes third, having challenged for second never goes up. It's always the team that go on a run and sneak into sixth that wins the play offs.

6th place haven’t won the playoffs since Blackpool in 2009/10.

In the 11 seasons since, 5 times 3rd has gone up and 9 times out of 11 it’s been 3rd or 4th. 

The team challenging for 2nd went up the last two years in Brentford and Fulham

• Like 5