BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Of the 12 won, how many went to one of our players?

and how many of the 12 were defensive

Credit though for a decent performance on the night and a well taken goal.

He has a decent shot in him and should take that option more often.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s significant that a club playing at Burton’s level don’t appear to want him back.

Agreed, a new deal made no sense in the summer and this 2 team limbo that he is in could have been avoided. 

I suppose that teams in League 1 have limited resources, maybe he will go back last minute at a much lower wage contribution, but he didn't seem to have a particularly successful time at Burton especially compared to Shrewsbury last year.

I would consider both to be well off it but I would put Chapman above Butterworth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So 5 goals and 3 assists in 10 starts isn't good going?

Everyone recognizes he isn't the most technically gifted but he is playing his part .

No he isn't, that was the only decent game he's had in months.

He's massive physically and generally won't even put himself about a bit to trouble the opposition.

Stealing a living like Evans, Bennett and multiple others earlier in Venky's tenure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19874362.blackburn-rovers-shelve-transfer-plan-dilan-markanday-injury/

I don't agree with the idea of keeping Butterworth, he isn't very good, I would probably look to sell if possible.

I am guessing that if we need Butterworth, then it doesn't instil confidence over likely recruits, maybe it will be 1 at most to replace Markanday.

Even at the weekend, I would have Chapman on the bench over him, a player with similar work rate questions but one who has proven that he can score and create at senior level. And I would happily see him go too, although the 2 club rule makes that impossible unless Burton want him back.

He needed a loan move, probably for the season really.

Sounds like he has workrate issues (off the ball) and it was picked up by a few on here during his sub appearance on Monday.

He won't make it under Mowbray unless he changes that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No he isn't, that was the only decent game he's had in months.

He's massive physically and generally won't even put himself about a bit to trouble the opposition.

Stealing a living like Evans, Bennett and multiple others earlier in Venky's tenure.

6 goals and 3 assists suggest he is contributing more this season than just the good game against Hull.

The numbers don't lie.5 goals and 3 assists in 10 starts is good going.

• Like 3

Gallagher's goals this season albeit with some poor performances have decided a total of 8 points. He also got the opener in the 2-0 home win against Reading so that's 3 more you can add if you like. He's part of the reason why we are 2nd in the league. There have been times where he has contributed well defensively too. Without him and his poor first touch we'd be 8th or 9th right now, sorry if that upsets some people.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Gallagher's goals this season albeit with some poor performances have decided a total of 8 points. He also got the opener in the 2-0 home win against Reading so that's 3 more you can add if you like. He's part of the reason why we are 2nd in the league. There have been times where he has contributed well defensively too. Without him and his poor first touch we'd be 8th or 9th right now, sorry if that upsets some people.

But how many have been dropped as a result of effectively playing with 10 men? For me it cancels itself out. If he could apply himself as well as he did against Boro then I can forgive the lack of goals, it's the lack of effort that frustrates. Just basic things like not jumping for the ball and being outmuscled by players half his size. Mowbray has to shoulder some of the blame as he doesn't seem to know what to do with him after parting with so much money to get him.

Edited by booth
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Huh? People who are saying Gallagher isn't up to it aren't suggesting we play with 10 men on the field. We should replace him with a better forward 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

As much as I think we could do better than Gallagher, I’d never go down the route of not giving someone plaudits for scoring the winning goal.

It’s not just incredibly unfair, it’s just wrong.

It seems incredibly negative to bring him down after a good game, or to point out why people were wrong about him.

I hope he's turned a corner and he can continue to be a blue and white hero.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

This argument crops up from time to time on various players and it doesn't really work because if Gally wasn't playing someone else would be, and may contribute less / the same / more. (as @CambridgeRover has said above)

For example, if Gallagher was on the bench for the Reading game then Khedra may have started. Who is to say we wouldn't have won 3 or 4 nil if Khedra had played.

Silly extreme, but had Gallagher been playing and keeping a prime Alan Shearer on the bench, you wouldn't say without Gally we'd be 8th or 9th. It would be a case of had he not been playing we'd have been top.

Having said that he did well on Monday, worked his arse off and took the winning goal well.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19874362.blackburn-rovers-shelve-transfer-plan-dilan-markanday-injury/

I don't agree with the idea of keeping Butterworth, he isn't very good, I would probably look to sell if possible.

I am guessing that if we need Butterworth, then it doesn't instil confidence over likely recruits, maybe it will be 1 at most to replace Markanday.

Even at the weekend, I would have Chapman on the bench over him, a player with similar work rate questions but one who has proven that he can score and create at senior level. And I would happily see him go too, although the 2 club rule makes that impossible unless Burton want him back.

I agree with you, just never seen anything to suggest he’s ready at this level 

Also “electrically fast” - no chance, lad looks like he’s running through treacle 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep. Ted McDougal, Phil Boyer.

Ironically when I first started supporting us in the early 70's the game against Bournemouth in the old 3rd division was one of the biggest of the season.

Wasn't John Bond subsequently of City and Dingles fame their manager?

I remember seing Ted MacDougall playing for Bournemouth, before his move to manure.

• Like 1

Butterworth will be a very good player for us, he's very talented. He probably could have done with a loan but he's a very useful player to have around the squad. 

You only have to look how Buckley and Diaz have blossomed despite looking well off it at first (in Diaz's case well off it for several years!). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Bournemouth, Exeter City, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil & Plymouth Argyle.......a massive south west catchment area and between them all they have achieved what?.......didly squat and it will be forever thus!

Aren't Southampton the nearest team to Bournemouth ?

2 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Butterworth will be a very good player for us, he's very talented. He probably could have done with a loan but he's a very useful player to have around the squad. 

You only have to look how Buckley and Diaz have blossomed despite looking well off it at first (in Diaz's case well off it for several years!). 

The bottom sentence isn't a good general rule, you could literally say that about anyone, no matter how poor they look, conversely more players will fizzle out.

Butterworth always seems shattered almost instantly in his cameos, he was totally ineffective when he started and he is quite greedy, and doesn't work anywhere near hard enough.

I am not sure that he is that useful either. He should be either loaned or even let go full time in this window.

41 minutes ago, Hasta said:

This argument crops up from time to time on various players and it doesn't really work because if Gally wasn't playing someone else would be, and may contribute less / the same / more. (as @CambridgeRover has said above)

For example, if Gallagher was on the bench for the Reading game then Khedra may have started. Who is to say we wouldn't have won 3 or 4 nil if Khedra had played.

I'll give you an example of the reverse. At Bournemouth Khadra had played for an hour and been completely ineffectual, with little ball and running down blind alleys when he did. Gallagher came on for him on about 60 minutes, just before our second goal (I don't think he played any part in that). But for the rest of the game he was a constant outlet down the right, picking up the ball and holding and taking pressure off our defence frequently. It was one of the reasons why Bournemouth never got any significant pressure on us.

No goals and no assists but a bloody good shift for 30 minutes and one reason why we won that game comfortably in the end.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The bottom sentence isn't a good general rule, you could literally say that about anyone, no matter how poor they look, conversely more players will fizzle out.

Butterworth always seems shattered almost instantly in his cameos, he was totally ineffective when he started and he is quite greedy, and doesn't work anywhere near hard enough.

I am not sure that he is that useful either. He should be either loaned or even let go full time in this window.

Still writing off young players I see.If you were in charge Buckley would have been given up.

Young players need runs of games, not ten minutes here and there before you can judge.Not sure how you can say "I'm not sure he is that useful" when he has hardly played.

Clearly rated by the club his injury issues stunted his development.He should be sent on loan I agree with that but certainly not judging him now as he does have the talent but 2 years out of the game has affected him and his fitness needs to be worked on.

24 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

After Monday's "cameo", I wouldn't have Butterworth on the bench again. The lad just didn't look interested.

Ship him out on loan

23 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I'll give you an example of the reverse. At Bournemouth Khadra had played for an hour and been completely ineffectual, with little ball and running down blind alleys when he did. Gallagher came on for him on about 60 minutes, just before our second goal (I don't think he played any part in that). But for the rest of the game he was a constant outlet down the right, picking up the ball and holding and taking pressure off our defence frequently. It was one of the reasons why Bournemouth never got any significant pressure on us.

No goals and no assists but a bloody good shift for 30 minutes and one reason why we won that game comfortably in the end.

Your actually kind of backing up my point. What you are saying is the player who could have played instead of the one that did could have done a better job for the team.

My point is you can't say without Gally playing we wouldn't have beaten Reading just because he scored the first goal. Somebody else takes his place.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Still writing off young players I see.If you were in charge Buckley would have been given up.

Young players need runs of games, not ten minutes here and there before you can judge.Not sure how you can say "I'm not sure he is that useful" when he has hardly played.

Clearly rated by the club his injury issues stunted his development.He should be sent on loan I agree with that but certainly not judging him now as he does have the talent but 2 years out of the game has affected him and his fitness needs to be worked on.

I really hate this continuous trend whereby if a player is criticised or not rated by someone, that rather than constructive responses, the first lines that people resort to is that they are negative or writing players off. I am just giving my opinion on what I have seen, some fair points made in paragraphs 2 and 3 but the first paragraph is not constructive and it is bordering on being purposely provocative IMO.

I have never claimed to have perfect judgement on players, or indeed young players as you focus on. There are also young players that I do rate and have said as such that doesn't really fit the agenda that you are portraying, and indeed those that I have questioned, you seemingly are altering what I have said. Did I ever suggest to "give up" on Buckley, no I suggested that we should have loaned him out. I have also always maintained that with Buckley, a lot of it was more about what he was doing with the ball and not having the levels of impact that obviously he has this season (although that can and does need to still improve, he has a big weakness in terms of scoring/shooting but he now regularly plays dangerous passes/through balls more consistently and his ability to pinch the ball is key) rather than the obvious lack of physicality which is easier to work on and indeed many good attacking players are slight.

I don't doubt that 2 years of injury problems have massively affected a key part of Butterworth's development, and that partially sculpts my opinion that perhaps a clean break is best for him as much as anything. It is difficult to rely on cameos and I totally get that, albeit I don't see much from those cameos or that one start that suggests he warrants further game time, and there is no excuse for a lack of application and effort as I perceived the other day, Why is his fitness so far away too?

I don't feel that as an impact sub, that he can even maintain his energy for short cameos, and I think that aside from the odd bright spark, he seldom has much of an impact. Assuming we have no new attackers for the weekend, I would not be keen on bringing him on for either forward in an attempt to go for the game and I would suggest that Chapman is a better impact sub having at least shown (with more opportunity elsewhere) that he can score a goal or create a goal and change a game if we need another attacker. Beyond that, Brereton will be back for the game after, I would like to think that we get one or two more attackers in, then Dack is back soon after, Dolan too in a month, he gets absolutely nowhere near the squad. Best bet for me is line up a deal, permanent or loan, but only press the button when an attacker signs. If that does happen.

Should I simply never judge or indeed comment on a player until he reaches x amount of game time/starts, and not have an opinion? And if I just constantly write players off, why bother even listening and debating with my opinions?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I really hate this continuous trend whereby if a player is criticised or not rated by someone, that rather than constructive responses, the first lines that people resort to is that they are negative or writing players off. I am just giving my opinion on what I have seen, some fair points made in paragraphs 2 and 3 but the first paragraph is not constructive and it is bordering on being purposely provocative IMO.

I have never claimed to have perfect judgement on players, or indeed young players as you focus on. There are also young players that I do rate and have said as such that doesn't really fit the agenda that you are portraying, and indeed those that I have questioned, you seemingly are altering what I have said. Did I ever suggest to "give up" on Buckley, no I suggested that we should have loaned him out. I have also always maintained that with Buckley, a lot of it was more about what he was doing with the ball and not having the levels of impact that obviously he has this season (although that can and does need to still improve, he has a big weakness in terms of scoring/shooting but he now regularly plays dangerous passes/through balls more consistently and his ability to pinch the ball is key) rather than the obvious lack of physicality which is easier to work on and indeed many good attacking players are slight.

I don't doubt that 2 years of injury problems have massively affected a key part of Butterworth's development, and that partially sculpts my opinion that perhaps a clean break is best for him as much as anything. It is difficult to rely on cameos and I totally get that, albeit I don't see much from those cameos or that one start that suggests he warrants further game time, and there is no excuse for a lack of application and effort as I perceived the other day, Why is his fitness so far away too?

I don't feel that as an impact sub, that he can even maintain his energy for short cameos, and I think that aside from the odd bright spark, he seldom has much of an impact. Assuming we have no new attackers for the weekend, I would not be keen on bringing him on for either forward in an attempt to go for the game and I would suggest that Chapman is a better impact sub having at least shown (with more opportunity elsewhere) that he can score a goal or create a goal and change a game if we need another attacker. Beyond that, Brereton will be back for the game after, I would like to think that we get one or two more attackers in, then Dack is back soon after, Dolan too in a month, he gets absolutely nowhere near the squad. Best bet for me is line up a deal, permanent or loan, but only press the button when an attacker signs. If that does happen.

Should I simply never judge or indeed comment on a player until he reaches x amount of game time/starts, and not have an opinion? And if I just constantly write players off, why bother even listening and debating with my opinions?

It's your attitude towards younger players that is nonsensical.Earlier in the season Butterworth was bright when he came on and is clearly rated higher than Chapman at the club.

It's the same thing with Buckley every single week you were dropping him. 

Butterworth may turn out to not be up to it at this level but I'm certain me , you and anyone else on here haven't seen enough of him at senior level to know if  he isn't very useful 

I do respect your views and there is a lot of stuff I agree with what you say.

But when it comes to this I just don't think you have an eye for a younger player like Buckley, Brererton useless, Armstrong wont be good up front for us etc.

I criticise players myself but I don't make statements like ",I don't think Butterworth is useful" after a few sub appearances and a couple of those he was decent

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1