BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

You could smell the bull from a thousand Pace's when he first turned up on a tv screen.

They thought it was a handy little investment to play around with and stroke a few egos and i wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't heavy agent/fixer involvement.

Low cost club in the Prem with a solid manager and habit of surviving never spending much, brilliant. We'll buy it by borrowing against itself then cream off the profits. Set it up so the first sign of trouble and we can escape relatively unscathed, if it works for years great, if it doesn't no big deal.

Like a lot of 'fit and proper' takeovers they've been screwed over so it suits others not the football club or town. Somebody will probably jump in and buy it and solve a few problems but there is a heavy whiff of the next Bolton about it.  All it needs is a while in limbo with no money and things will go backwards rapid like it did to them.

Fixed assets sales coming soon ?

• Like 1

The only real assets I can see them raising any money is Cornet and a bit for Pope who is in his last year now. McNeil is overrated and likely overpriced. Tarkowski arguably their best outfield player walks away on a free The average squad age is 30 highest of all 92 clubs

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You could smell the bull from a thousand Pace's when he first turned up on a tv screen.

They thought it was a handy little investment to play around with and stroke a few egos and i wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't heavy agent/fixer involvement.

Low cost club in the Prem with a solid manager and habit of surviving never spending much, brilliant. We'll buy it by borrowing against itself then cream off the profits. Set it up so the first sign of trouble and we can escape relatively unscathed, if it works for years great, if it doesn't no big deal.

Like a lot of 'fit and proper' takeovers they've been screwed over so it suits others not the football club or town. Somebody will probably jump in and buy it and solve a few problems but there is a heavy whiff of the next Bolton about it.  All it needs is a while in limbo with no money and things will go backwards rapid like it did to them.

Fixed assets sales coming soon ?

I don't think there is any agent or fixer involved from what I read about the Burnley takeover and ownership. 

I have read a couple of articles about Burnley and the problems on the athletic sports website and its says the players felt a change of manager was needed as it stale under Dyche. Also mention that last summer the contract extension Dyche got its was like a marriage of convenience than a show of backing by them. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure how catastrophic their financial problems are going to be in terms of their recruitment, but on the face of it they'll still have a strong defence if they can avoid a fire sale. A back five of Hennessey, Roberts, Collins, Mee and Taylor (assuming Pope & Tarkowski go, but they keep the rest) is probably better than anyone else in the Championship. Certainly a step above most.

Elsewhere though, they've got a lot of work to do. Their midfield looks dire, Brownhill aside. McNeil looks the part but he went all of last season with a grand total of 0 goals and 1 assist, despite having played every game. Perhaps he'll kick on if he plays at a lower level, but that's an appalling record. Elsewhere you've got Cornet who obviously good but struggles to stay fit even when he only plays one game a week - and is probably off anyway - and a small group of sicknotes in their 30s. Definitely not enough. Age and fitness would be big worries for their strikers too, although Weghorst could potentially score a bagful if he stays. 

A lot of understandable talk on here about the size of our rebuild this summer, but it looks as though Burnley's looks equally challenging in its own way, potentially even more so if the finances are as bad as some are making out. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

@longsiders1882 what the plan now? Does the club have a plan? And if it was your choice who would you appoint now? 

No idea if they have a plan to be honest - they say they do but I’m dubious. 

As for who should be the new manager, lord knows. All sorts of names thrown around recently but the relegation will a little reality to the mix. Maybe Carvalhal? Don’t have many names beyond that, not sure who’s available. Wouldn’t object to Rooney but he seems committed to Derby. Inevitably Barton will get linked but his hothead and history will rule him out for our owners.

Had we stayed up and Forest stayed down  I’d have liked to try to get Cooper but another one out of reach now after relegation. Mike Duff will no doubt get mentioned. We will probably make the fatal mistake of sticking with Jackson.

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm not sure how catastrophic their financial problems are going to be in terms of their recruitment, but on the face of it they'll still have a strong defence if they can avoid a fire sale. A back five of Hennessey, Roberts, Collins, Mee and Taylor (assuming Pope & Tarkowski go, but they keep the rest) is probably better than anyone else in the Championship. Certainly a step above most.

Elsewhere though, they've got a lot of work to do. Their midfield looks dire, Brownhill aside. McNeil looks the part but he went all of last season with a grand total of 0 goals and 1 assist, despite having played every game. Perhaps he'll kick on if he plays at a lower level, but that's an appalling record. Elsewhere you've got Cornet who obviously good but struggles to stay fit even when he only plays one game a week - and is probably off anyway - and a small group of sicknotes in their 30s. Definitely not enough. Age and fitness would be big worries for their strikers too, although Weghorst could potentially score a bagful if he stays. 

A lot of understandable talk on here about the size of our rebuild this summer, but it looks as though Burnley's looks equally challenging in its own way, potentially even more so if the finances are as bad as some are making out. 

If we can keep hold of the back four (minus Tarkowski obv) then that is very solid and better than most in the Championship. Despite being old Cork is still playing well alongside Brownhill so again, if he signed an extension that gives us a good engine plus Westwood is better than you are giving him credit there IMO.

Cornet will go, McNeill, not sure but if we can keep him that is one side sorted. We’d still need another winger plus a back up. Up front if Weghorst stays then we’d need another striker. Rodriguez is staying and we’ve apparently made contact with Vydra about staying after his injury. Think Vydra and Weghorst could cause problems in the Championship but I think they will both go so we’d need 2 strikers. It’s definitely a challenge - and always was regardless of which league we were in. Money will be tight but with luck and following wind we might be able to get a competitive side out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

If we can keep hold of the back four (minus Tarkowski obv) then that is very solid and better than most in the Championship. Despite being old Cork is still playing well alongside Brownhill so again, if he signed an extension that gives us a good engine plus Westwood is better than you are giving him credit there IMO.

Cornet will go, McNeill, not sure but if we can keep him that is one side sorted. We’d still need another winger plus a back up. Up front if Weghorst stays then we’d need another striker. Rodriguez is staying and we’ve apparently made contact with Vydra about staying after his injury. Think Vydra and Weghorst could cause problems in the Championship but I think they will both go so we’d need 2 strikers. It’s definitely a challenge - and always was regardless of which league we were in. Money will be tight but with luck and following wind we might be able to get a competitive side out.

On the midfield, I accept that if they can stay fit and are still hungry then Cork/Westwood still have the talent to be good players at this level. I shouldn't have said dire, because I was more doubting their ability to stay fit and compete for 46 games. It might've been an unlucky season on the injury front, and next might be a lucky one, but as an outsider I'm looking at a decent number of players who are looking less and less able to cope with the physical demands of the game, which isn't a good omen at all going into such a tough league.

I had assumed Vydra would've been on his way given his injury, but he'll cause problems if you can get him up to speed (although another gamble given the age/injury worries you have elsewhere). I think you definitely have some decent assets to work with, especially at the back, but I think the squad is crying out for freshening up in my opinion so some very shrewd recruitment will be needed to bounce straight back, I suspect.

Out of curiosity, what do you make of McNeil? I know it can be hard to shine when the team is struggling, but I was really shocked by his poor numbers. Always struck me as a talented player. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

No idea if they have a plan to be honest - they say they do but I’m dubious. 

As for who should be the new manager, lord knows. All sorts of names thrown around recently but the relegation will a little reality to the mix. Maybe Carvalhal? Don’t have many names beyond that, not sure who’s available. Wouldn’t object to Rooney but he seems committed to Derby. Inevitably Barton will get linked but his hothead and history will rule him out for our owners.

Had we stayed up and Forest stayed down  I’d have liked to try to get Cooper but another one out of reach now after relegation. Mike Duff will no doubt get mentioned. We will probably make the fatal mistake of sticking with Jackson.

I don't think Jackson permanent appointment would be the worst thing tbh. 

It's a huge rebuilding job and I feel you will need a younger squad. 

Do you have any good young players?

• Like 1

Burnley would be wise to avoid the lazy appointment of Jackson, how many times have we seen a novice take temporary charge, see a slight initial bounce followed by a struggle once permanently appointed. 

They would also be wise to avoid the sentimental appointment of a Barton or Duff, fans often have an obsession with former players but you don't pick managers based on what they do as a player.

The likes of Farke and Carvalhal are sadly going to be attracted much more to a side recently relegated but they would be the sensible type of appointments. They should have kept Dyche.

Hopefully they act irrationally of course because that first season down is crucial and if they mess it up they could become stuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

On the midfield, I accept that if they can stay fit and are still hungry then Cork/Westwood still have the talent to be good players at this level. I shouldn't have said dire, because I was more doubting their ability to stay fit and compete for 46 games. It might've been an unlucky season on the injury front, and next might be a lucky one, but as an outsider I'm looking at a decent number of players who are looking less and less able to cope with the physical demands of the game, which isn't a good omen at all going into such a tough league.

I had assumed Vydra would've been on his way given his injury, but he'll cause problems if you can get him up to speed (although another gamble given the age/injury worries you have elsewhere). I think you definitely have some decent assets to work with, especially at the back, but I think the squad is crying out for freshening up in my opinion so some very shrewd recruitment will be needed to bounce straight back, I suspect.

Out of curiosity, what do you make of McNeil? I know it can be hard to shine when the team is struggling, but I was really shocked by his poor numbers. Always struck me as a talented player. 

I’m sort of thinking if we get Westwood and Cork with Brownhill they can rotate, play 60 mins etc but take your point - and I wouldn’t object to a younger recruit if we could find one.

On McNeill, mmm good question. One thing for sure, he hasn’t loved life under Dyche this season. He’s looked better after Dyche left - but faded a touch last few games. He’s still young but needs to find some consistent performances. That might work for us as it could dampen interest. The talent is there, maybe not always the confidence. Sometimes I have wondered about his appetite for it as well.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think Jackson permanent appointment would be the worst thing tbh. 

It's a huge rebuilding job and I feel you will need a younger squad. 

Do you have any good young players?

I honestly don’t follow the youth side of it closely at all but I’ve not heard much so I’m doubtful anyone is pushing to start.

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Burnley would be wise to avoid the lazy appointment of Jackson, how many times have we seen a novice take temporary charge, see a slight initial bounce followed by a struggle once permanently appointed. 

They would also be wise to avoid the sentimental appointment of a Barton or Duff, fans often have an obsession with former players but you don't pick managers based on what they do as a player.

The likes of Farke and Carvalhal are sadly going to be attracted much more to a side recently relegated but they would be the sensible type of appointments. They should have kept Dyche.

Hopefully they act irrationally of course because that first season down is crucial and if they mess it up they could become stuck.

They have a big job ahead. We all know aiming for an immediate return is the best shout we will have. They are Americans so not averse to a gamble - but will it be the club they bet because get it wrong and there is no billionaire in the background to bail us out. As poor as Venkys have been on many fronts they continue to put up the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

they should go for Dyche

This is the bit I can’t get my head around - before sacking him they where in a situation where best case Dyche kept them up, worst case they went down but had the perfect manager to bring them back. They’re now in a situation where they’re competing with us to find a new manager. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I’m sort of thinking if we get Westwood and Cork with Brownhill they can rotate, play 60 mins etc but take your point - and I wouldn’t object to a younger recruit if we could find one.

On McNeill, mmm good question. One thing for sure, he hasn’t loved life under Dyche this season. He’s looked better after Dyche left - but faded a touch last few games. He’s still young but needs to find some consistent performances. That might work for us as it could dampen interest. The talent is there, maybe not always the confidence. Sometimes I have wondered about his appetite for it as well.

I honestly don’t follow the youth side of it closely at all but I’ve not heard much so I’m doubtful anyone is pushing to start.

They have a big job ahead. We all know aiming for an immediate return is the best shout we will have. They are Americans so not averse to a gamble - but will it be the club they bet because get it wrong and there is no billionaire in the background to bail us out. As poor as Venkys have been on many fronts they continue to put up the money. 

Venkys dont put the money up in terms of out of ambition to further the club, they merely offset the losses that most Championship clubs incur hence why we havent gone out of business.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

This is the bit I can’t get my head around - before sacking him they where in a situation where best case Dyche kept them up, worst case they went down but had the perfect manager to bring them back. They’re now in a situation where they’re competing with us to find a new manager. 

I’m not sure we see you as the competition 😉

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Venkys dont put the money up in terms of out of ambition to further the club, they merely offset the losses that most Championship clubs incur hence why we havent gone out of business.

Ah right, I thought they did fund transfers etc quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I’m not sure we see you as the competition 😉

It’s tough down here Longers! As you’ve seen, you need a very fine balance of quality, work effort and mentality or it goes south - quick!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J*B said:

It’s tough down here Longers! As you’ve seen, you need a very fine balance of quality, work effort and mentality or it goes south - quick!!

For the record, my tongue was firmly in my cheek. I know how tough the Championship can be but I’m still looking forward to a few local games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The Teddy Boys,the Mods and Rockers who latched onto football.

The 70's/ 80's  Skin Heads then Casuals.

Not condoning the violence but a very British Youth cultural thing.

The youth of the early 1960s were the first generation for a long time not to fight a war or complete National Service. The testosterone had to be channelled another way.

47 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

For the record, my tongue was firmly in my cheek. I know how tough the Championship can be but I’m still looking forward to a few local games.

Now now Chris, don't get cheeky, and there was me feeling sorry for you (for all of about 2 seconds) last night!

Hopefully from our point of view over the next two or three seasons we'll see the difference between our owners who despite their many and well documented faults appear able to absorb a £200m loss without batting an eyelid and yours who seem intent on fleecing the Club at a fairly exorbitant rate of interest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I doubt they'll be competing with us unless HSH are getting a foot in their door.

Skint or not it's odds on their next appointment will be more ambitious than ours.