BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 5/2/22

8 hours ago, rigger said:

Our excellent season has been mainly down to the way we have defended, but the Swansea goal yesterday was criminal. With 3 centerhalves playing, how is the only attacker in the box allowed a free header. Anyway, we are still second, so bring on Forest.

It's because two of our centre halves went AWOL. Zeefuik hardly covered himself in glory, but you can see that his man to cover was on the right, yet there was only one centre half back to cover two Swansea players in the middle. The goal was down to the lack of our back three defending together. 

While the central defenders have been doing well, it's still the case that none of them are as good as Ayala, plus isn't his strength in organising those around him? A bit of rotation might be called for on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Feel like there's been some harsh criticism of Hedges after that game. Obviously early days, but in a game where we didn't get the ball down and play much, I thought his pressing out of possession was good and he made plenty of positive runs.

I would agree that he seemed to grow into the game.

It was a game where we missed Gallagher (not often I would say that). His height to get on Giles crosses may have made all the differences.

But for all the criticism of TM - Buckley and Lenihan missed some relatively easy chances - either one had gone in and I feel we would have won the game.

It was an opportunity lost - however it was only one game - considering we had so many players having to play after only recently joining the club - it isn't surprising that we have lost a little momentum. Also Rothwell isn't anywhere near as effective when playing against a packed defence - as Swansea were after going down to 10. Having said that, I felt he didn't have a good game at all, possibly a hang over of recent events.

The positive - Giles - with him providing the ammunition I could see a forward line of Gallagher and Diaz being very effective. Hopefully his crosses will have more success as his team mates get used to his style of play. 

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Swansea City (a) - 5/2/22
  • J*B unpinned this topic
On 06/02/2022 at 21:25, RoverKyle said:

Feel like there's been some harsh criticism of Hedges after that game. Obviously early days, but in a game where we didn't get the ball down and play much, I thought his pressing out of possession was good and he made plenty of positive runs.

I said jury was out and I just don't get the signing. Is that harsh criticism?

Not to mention it was in a post where I played down any expectation from the game???

3 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

I said jury was out and I just don't get the signing. Is that harsh criticism?

Not to mention it was in a post where I played down any expectation from the game???

It wasn't aimed directly at you, otherwise I'd have quoted your post. But after one game, yeah probably.

Edited by RoverKyle

On 06/02/2022 at 21:25, RoverKyle said:

Blimey, no offence but I have to say you're easily pleased. I watched the game at a slight distance from my screen in a hotel bar and had to check at half time with my mate's son that he was actually in the starting line up.

Just watched a rerun of the game ro see if I was being harsh in my initial assessment and I wasn't. Never noticed him on the rerun either. Ran about a bit whilst play went on around him pointing occasionally  in best Keith Andrews fashion.

Will have to do much MUCH better if he's going to hack it at this level. 

Looked completely out of his depth.

On 06/02/2022 at 07:52, darrenrover said:

You missed M50, joining M4 at Newport, apart from that you're spot on!.....J*B buy a bloody map book!

Footnote, me missed the first 20 minutes. When we arrived at the ground, 2 well known Rovers away followers were walking in the opposite direction. We asked where they were going?........."The bastards won't let us in because we've no Covid jab records with us"! Thankfully we all had.

Oh for a 'fox in the box' yesterday.......he'd have had a bagful!

Hi, I didn’t miss the M50, there are two alternative routes M6, M5, M4 (via the Prince of Wales bridge), or M6, M5, M50, A449/A49, M4. This second route on the A449/A49 goes through Monmouth and I’ve been held up countless time, plus the mobile speed cameras are frequently parked up in the numerous lay-bys. To avoid the M4 from Newport you can swing off on the A40 TO Raglan and go on the “heads of the valleys’ road and drop back down into Neath and then Swansea. 15 years of making this journey every week! For me personally COVID has saved a lot of stress, and now I’ve 8 months to retirement I’m going to do it WFH👍🤣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

It wasn't aimed directly at you, otherwise I'd have quoted your post. But after one game, yeah probably.

You did quote my post though???

My opinion of the signing isn't based on one game, it's based on the type of player and what I've seen prior to him signing. He's been linked for over 6 months so like most, I've paid some attention to Aberdeen over that period and I'm not saying he's not a good player with capability but he certainly isn't Premier League, only likely to start losing his pace in the near future and doesn't have a great record for goals and assists. I just don't see what he adds other than another number. I would have like to have seen us bring in another option to affect the game personally.

Whilst Saturday night did nothing to change my mind, I wouldn't make a comment on one cameo in a patched together squad.

19 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

You did quote my post though???

My opinion of the signing isn't based on one game, it's based on the type of player and what I've seen prior to him signing. He's been linked for over 6 months so like most, I've paid some attention to Aberdeen over that period and I'm not saying he's not a good player with capability but he certainly isn't Premier League, only likely to start losing his pace in the near future and doesn't have a great record for goals and assists. I just don't see what he adds other than another number. I would have like to have seen us bring in another option to affect the game personally.

Whilst Saturday night did nothing to change my mind, I wouldn't make a comment on one cameo in a patched together squad.

My bad. Long day. I'd have quoted your post as the latest one in the line of comments about Hedges. Wasn't picking yours out as being especially harsh. 

We need to get to the Premier League before we start using that benchmark to be fair.

5 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

My bad. Long day. I'd have quoted your post as the latest one in the line of comments about Hedges. Wasn't picking yours out as being especially harsh. 

We need to get to the Premier League before we start using that benchmark to be fair.

Absolutely but 2nd in the league at the end of Jan should prompt some forward planning and initially this was a pre contract agreement for the summer.

The stage is now set for a heros substitute appearance to turn tonight on its head....