BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 5/2/22

28 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Your mention of sticking Ayala up front was the same thought I had. In lieu of other options, we could have stuck him up front for 20 minutes to try and get on the end of one of Giles' crosses - it couldn't have made things any worse and was worth a shot to nick a goal.

On Buckley, he's such a good player to watch at times. The lad can't shoot with any conviction though, what my Dad used to call 'powder puff'. If we ended up in a penalty shoot out and he was up for taking one, I'd have no confidence in him. Someone playing in that 'false 9' role needs to be able to score a few & he just doesn't have that ability.

There's still all to play for though.

Yes he went up front and caused a few problems before but there wasn't much supply,  yesterday many a good cross and no one got anywhere near them. 

Bucko is a really good player on the ball but he tries to overdo too much too often imo. Either look to get a shot off or lay it off but he seems to want to hang onto the ball too much for me. 

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It started a few games ago. Just my opinion.

I just think our experience is leading us to over anticipate the oncoming death spiral.( eek)

So far, at least, we can say we have lost to teams that are not our immediate rivals. We did beat Boro, although it wasn't a great performance.

We need to beat Forest. Hopefully, BB will have recovered and others will be available again. Maybe, Forest will get to extra time this afternoon and our freshened up team will capitalise on tired legs.....

I reality, I think an automatic spot will be difficult, given Bournemouth's January recruitment. Surely, we won't throw away 6th spot!

Engrenages is a good serial, by the way...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

Looking at the table now isn’t as nice as it was - QPR and Bournemouth two games in hand, us out of form.

Mowbray needs to stop overthinking it and go back to what got us into the position before January. Top 2 is a bit of a pipe dream now but from here it would be shocking if we don’t make the playoffs as a minimum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In the cold light of day it’s becoming obvious that our only way of playing, counter attacking, doesn’t work if your opponents don’t give you the space to counter attack into. We have no plan “ B “. We were sloppy from the off last night in spite of having  an early chance. Our intensity was low and we were back to being second best to nearly every 50/50 ball again. I’m also not impressed with our discipline, or lack of it. Rothwell and Buckley’s bookings were poor as was JRC pushing the goalkeeper at a corner. Just plain stupid. Was I the only one embarrassed by Lenihan going down holding his face when he’d obviously got a boot in the chest ? I know other teams do these things but I don’t like to see Rovers players play acting.

On the subject of the referee, I thought he was overly fussy. Most of the yellow cards were for trivial incidents and first offences at that. Apart from Giles, who looked a good acquisition, the only plus point to emerge from last nights game was that we already have enough points to avoid relegation. I think any thoughts of promotion have taken a hammering over the last month. I’ve seen us play the last four games and I’ve seen us score one goal. That’s relegation form not promotion form.

I agree with this. Mowbray has expressly referenced Liverpool when talking about tactics. They are capable of both counter-attack and possession. Keys to this, I believe, (aside from world class players) is an intense press from the the front and a three man midfield. If the front three don't close down intensely, they risk becoming passengers in the team.

I think a plan B of 3-5-2, with Khadra and Brereton forward or, even, return to the apparently failed 4-3-3 may be in order. Now we have stronger left backs, compared to Bell and Douglas, it could be a way to accommodate an extra man in the middle, to help with retaining possession in the moments that require it.

I'm sure Buckley as No.10 will continue given that overall it's been effective. The question is how we tweak our play when the other side nullify counters.

Edited by riverholmes

52 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Your mention of sticking Ayala up front was the same thought I had. In lieu of other options, we could have stuck him up front for 20 minutes to try and get on the end of one of Giles' crosses - it couldn't have made things any worse and was worth a shot to nick a goal.

On Buckley, he's such a good player to watch at times. The lad can't shoot with any conviction though, what my Dad used to call 'powder puff'. If we ended up in a penalty shoot out and he was up for taking one, I'd have no confidence in him. Someone playing in that 'false 9' role needs to be able to score a few & he just doesn't have that ability.

There's still all to play for though.

Buckley has been at Rovers since he was just 6 years old ... for 16 years, and in that time, despite a huge investment in him, no one has taught him how to take a shot at goal correctly, how to just do what should be a very basic thing to any professional footballer.

Buckley is not alone. Travis is next to useless at taking a shot as is Rothwell, apart from the rare cracker that proves the law of averages.

There are others ....

It beggars belief.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It started a few games ago. Just my opinion.

I agree. It started on 2nd January when Khadra missed an easy 1 on 1 chance against Huddersfield that would have won us the game . We’ve struggled for goals since but luckily the defence held strong against Cardiff and Boro.

Fingers crossed the new signings, Rothwell stability, Diaz back from Chile and games coming thick and fast can help us get over a rough patch quickly. We were bound to have one at some point!

39 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I just think our experience is leading us to over anticipate the oncoming death spiral.( eek)

So far, at least, we can say we have lost to teams that are not our immediate rivals. We did beat Boro, although it wasn't a great performance.

We need to beat Forest. Hopefully, BB will have recovered and others will be available again. Maybe, Forest will get to extra time this afternoon and our freshened up team will capitalise on tired legs.....

I reality, I think an automatic spot will be difficult, given Bournemouth's January recruitment. Surely, we won't throw away 6th spot!

Engrenages is a good serial, by the way...

I know, I watched it.

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Even though he often  gets pelters on here I'm certain we'd have had much more threat with Gallagher on the pitch today. Giles was delivering exactly what Gallagher has always needed. Quality delivery. Not always whipping it in but gently floating it into areas that can be attacked. 

I'm still pissed off about Lockyer from Luton. We were always going to be light with Diaz on international duty. And he took out our only other option.

But we all know Gally will be out wide so likely not in position to get on the end of those.  Perhaps Giles can learn to tweak a few of those crosses, they don't always have to be to heads. How about some low crosses too 

28 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I agree with this. Mowbray has expressly referenced Liverpool when talking about tactics. They are capable of both counter-attack and possession. Keys to this, I believe, (aside from world class players) is an intense press from the the front and a three man midfield. If the front three don't close down intensely, they risk becoming passengers in the team.

I think a plan B of 3-5-2, with Khadra and Brereton forward or, even, return to the apparently failed 4-3-3 may be in order. Now we have stronger left backs, compared to Bell and Douglas, it could be a way to accommodate an extra man in the middle, to help with retaining possession in the moments that require it.

I'm sure Buckley as No.10 will continue given that overall it's been effective. The question is how we tweak our play when the other side nullify counters.

That’s what happened last night whilst it was 11 v 11. Our front three were by passed much too easily. One it went to 10 v 11 the whole game changed but we were stuck with the same way of playing as before.

• Backroom

Our defeat to Wigan in the cup was the first game that worried me. We had a pretty strong team out that day and didn't look up for it against a League 1 side. Since then performances have continued on a slow decline. Obviously injuries don't help but this is where the tactical and recruitment nous of the manager and club (or lack thereof) come to the fore.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 4

A difficult journey - left at 9am and arrived at the ground at 5.15pm - to witness a pretty dire performance.  Still, when compared to the experiences of those involved in the horrific motorway crash, football really doesn't stand much comparison.

I think our lack of cash for spending in January will come back to bite us before the end of the season.  I thought Mowbray did the best he could in January with the cash available but the need for two or three experienced old pros was plain to see yesterday.  We didn't seem to have a clue how to break Swansea down and teams seemed to have cottoned on to the fact that if you deny us space behind the defence to exploit, we struggle to create goalscoring opportunities.   As a result we return to the backwards and sideways passing that gets us nowhere.

When we did manage to create something we looked inept in front of goal.

Whilst Giles was great from dead ball situations, I worry who we have up front to exploit his crosses from open play.

I hope we can hang onto a top six place but I suspect it's going to be a near run thing.  This was the sort of game that you need to win if you are serious about promotion.

Watched Dack on Friday and I thought that he looked still some way off peak fitness but in a week or two they have to have him on the bench if he only plays 15 or 20 minutes.  Jack Vale will hopefully get a chance on the bench in the near future as we need some attacking options in this team.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Buckley has been at Rovers since he was just 6 years old ... for 16 years, and in that time, despite a huge investment in him, no one has taught him how to take a shot at goal correctly, how to just do what should be a very basic thing to any professional footballer.

Buckley is not alone. Travis is next to useless at taking a shot as is Rothwell, apart from the rare cracker that proves the law of averages.

There are others ....

It beggars belief.

Gallagher is the only player in the entire squad who has a proper shot in his boots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Just got to hope this is not the start of the infamous 'death spiral™'...not wanted in our position.

Sigh

Started with the Hull postponement.  Tony meddling again, which will only become all too familiar with us not getting results.

If Bucko or Lenihan could finish we win easily, but they can't and we lost.

I would NOT have started Rothwell yesterday, perhaps that opinion is formed with hindsight but I was on the fence whether I would start him or not.  Who was that out there yesterday?  Did'nt look like our Joe.

Just sooooo disappointed, we had a great chance to heap pressure on this right below.  As usual, odd ball game time and Sky usually = a loss.  Damn damn damn.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

After the sending off the were echoes of last season and our time in League One when we simply couldn't penetrate a packed defence. Yesterday it was almost like Martin had thrown Mowbray a curveball by changing the way he normally plays. We did have a few chances to win but generally we showed very little invention or idea to break them down. And that's a thing with Mowbray. He has played several different ways whilst he has been here but rarely (if ever) has changed mid game to get us a result. 

• Like 5

You have to give it to Mowbray, he’s a first class wind up merchant.

Signs a few players, plays them out of position - all of them.

Doesn’t sign a goalscorer despite only scoring 2 goals in a month, then says he could have, clubs were lining up offering number 9’s. Next game, we need a number 9.

Someone said he’s better without choice, they were right. I think we are in the bullshit end of the season for Tony now.

Another observation is that every team is raising their game now, it’s a cup match every game. And we don’t do cup games.

TM’s biggest problem is we don’t have a chairman on his back asking questions when we falter and drive him in the right direction. Someone said he starts thinking he’s Pep. He does seem to get giddy after Christmas.

Can TM reign himself in long enough to get us over the line and avoid a death spiral?  After the last 6 weeks it’s clear it’s going to be a stressful second half of the season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I still cannot believe that we started with a front 3 of Giles-Buckley-Hedges.

Damning indictment of our recruitment, and for a team going for promotion it simply isn’t good enough. We have huge issues putting the ball in the back of the net.

It looked undoubtedly toothless but it was very much borne out of severe unavailability issues that seem to be about to ease.

Brereton was deemed not fit enough after his travels and Khadra the same after a hamstring twinge. Gallagher has an injury he has now been given the all clear for, Dolan is almost back and Dack is hopefully a couple of weeks away from inclusion in the squad. We likely very soon will have a situation whereby one or two of the above names may even fall out of the squad.

• Like 1

tony is an extremely nice fellow but a poor manager and tactician,what makes it worse is he actually does`nt recognise the fact he`s limited coach wise,hence the tinkering around continually,the fact he`s not brought in a centre forward is frankly not acceptable either,god willing we`ll not fall away so badly as to miss out on the play offs,that really would be depressing

• Like 1

I notice in his post match interview Mowbray is blaming the players for not changing their method of play when faced with a packed defence. I thought that getting instructions out-to the pitch, about changing play to individual players, would be part of the managers job. I also could not understand why Diaz was on the bench. Surely if there is a doubt about his ability to last a full game, you start off with Diaz playing, then replace him if/when it is required.

• Like 4

Our excellent season has been mainly down to the way we have defended, but the Swansea goal yesterday was criminal. With 3 centerhalves playing, how is the only attacker in the box allowed a free header. Anyway, we are still second, so bring on Forest.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, booth said:

You have to give it to Mowbray, he’s a first class wind up merchant.

Signs a few players, plays them out of position - all of them.

Doesn’t sign a goalscorer despite only scoring 2 goals in a month, then says he could have, clubs were lining up offering number 9’s. Next game, we need a number 9.

Someone said he’s better without choice, they were right. I think we are in the bullshit end of the season for Tony now.

Another observation is that every team is raising their game now, it’s a cup match every game. And we don’t do cup games.

TM’s biggest problem is we don’t have a chairman on his back asking questions when we falter and drive him in the right direction. Someone said he starts thinking he’s Pep. He does seem to get giddy after Christmas.

Can TM reign himself in long enough to get us over the line and avoid a death spiral?  After the last 6 weeks it’s clear it’s going to be a stressful second half of the season.

He didn't have choice yesterday, the team with square pegs in round holes was due to Brereton and Khadra being unfit to start and Gallagher and Dolan not quite making it after injury themselves, we only had Hedges out of our 5 options there. That had the knock on effect of having to push Giles forward where he is less effective, which then left Zeefuik on the wrong side with Pickering and Edun also out. So you have 2 players in less than ideal positions because of 6 fitness concerns, at least 5 of which should clear in the next week or 2. It wasn't down to the manager having loads of options and tinkering, it was the complete opposite.

He is right in that the way that we play using a false 9 and 2 wide forwards has brought us the success to get us into 2nd. I do think that we could have done with another forward who has the mobility to play in those 2 wide forward positions, similar to Brereton and Gallagher who give us a bit more physicality to the other options. Saying that, it cant be easy to get similar to the options we have when he seemingly was in the loan market only based on his quotes last week.

This talk of having someone pressuring him "when we falter" seems counter-productive, we are still 2nd, our form has stuttered lately coinciding with some fitness issues, but why would someone being on his back after a run of 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses help, surely it would cause further panic.

• Like 1