BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 5/2/22

21 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

I don't know anyone on the pitch tonight who would have scored the chances presented to our defenders, so that is not a reason for our defeat. That includes BBD on current form. 

Seriously? BBD scored against Argentina the other night, pretty sure he'd had buried both sitters present to Buckley and Lenihan.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, booth said:

As we had no proper forwards it also allowed Swansea to get forward more. We had wing back, a winger and a midfielder as our attack.

agreed,mowbray a very silly man for not bringing a centre forward in,we should have scoured the continent for someone who can head a football and put the ball in the net,imagine someone like gestede on the end of giles crosses😛

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

agreed,mowbray a very silly man for not bringing a centre forward in,we should have scoured the continent for someone who can head a football and put the ball in the net,imagine someone like gestede on the end of giles crosses😛

We probably could have got Maja on loan. It's mystifying why you wouldn't sign someone up like that as an option.

And if you want to play a midfielder as a false 9, buy one that can score goals!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I dont see the logic from the club,We're going to bring in one of the best crossers of the ball in the league but not bother signing a forward that we can bring on for the last half hour to get on the end of those crosses when we need a goal in a game because the ones offered don't fit 'our style of play'...crazy thinking

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

I don't know why some people are having a go at Hedges. He was one of our better players and should have stayed on the pitch. Buckley was on a yellow and having a terrible game, he should have been hooked. 

Dare I say "Manager's decision"? What do you say, Gav? 😉

7 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Seriously? BBD scored against Argentina the other night, pretty sure he'd had buried both sitters present to Buckley and Lenihan.

Fair comment, but the ball didn't fall to him once tonight, that's not just coincidence. 

I still would have given him the 1st 45, rather than the last 25. 

Frustrating as hell.

Real lack of quality. Lack of any kind of idea as to how to break a defence down. Lack of a true striker who would surely have got the run on the defence to Giles’ near post early crosses. To be honest, not too many positives today. Our Achilles heel is what it’s been for a while now, - once we go behind we struggle and our deficiencies come to the forefront.

At the top of the league, defeats kill you.

Watched cricket, rugby and rovers today. They all lost.

Sport sucks.

Edited by den
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I dont see the logic from the club,We're going to bring in one of the best crossers of the ball in the league but not bother signing a forward that we can bring on for the last half hour to get on the end of those crosses when we need a goal in a game because the ones offered don't fit 'our style of play'...crazy thinking

it`s very annoying,everyone at ewood can see where we need strengthening  but our manager is oblivious

My final word tonight is that our generally more ineffective form since 29 December, continues, and for me, we are in decline.

I fully accept that this may change starting on Wednesday, but any betting person won't bet on it, and my optimism is waning. 

I'll be there though, and I'll back them to the hilt, in every remaining game. 

My thoughts and comments on our form since Xmas, however, are fact, and as Mowbray's decision to play Zeefiuk in Giles's position tonight shows, we can't rely on Tony to get it right more than 50% of the time. 

I don't believe we were unlucky tonight. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Again, we literally missed 4 sitters. 

Giles makes a massive difference - teams can't just sit back against us now because he'll ping in incredibly dangerous crosses.

At the end of the day you can't expect Brereton to score every week. Buckley, Wharton and Lenihan all missed very simple chances - it's a team sport, they HAVE to start contributing to the goals column. 

Agreed but we can rely on our center half’s to be producing from the run of play. 

• Backroom

The JRC sub was a stinker; really a waste of a sub.

According to Tony after the game we should have got it to Giles more, lack of crosses were certainly an issue today 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bazza said:

What if we had taken on Andy Carroll when he was free instead of WBA taking him?

Great shout bazza, I thought the same, just what we needed, but I bet wouldn't get anywhere near his wage demands. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

My final word tonight is that our generally more ineffective form since 29 December, continues, and for me, we are in decline.

I fully accept that this may change starting on Wednesday, but any betting person won't bet on it, and my optimism is waning. 

My thoughts and comments on our form since Xmas, however, are fact, and as Mowbray's decision to play Zeefiuk in Giles's position tonight shows, we can't rely on Tony to get it right more than 50% of the time. 

I can understand the thought behind saying we were unlucky, when it comes to missing a couple of very clear sitters which on another day would have been dispatched comfortably.

However, it also has to be acknowledged that the reason one of those fell to Buckley - a notoriously poor finisher - is because he was being played as a false 9 and therefore more likely to be in a position to take that chance then another, more capable player. One also has to question why our other major sitter fell to Lenihan. What was he even doing storming into the box from wide attacking position, and where were our other attackers?

That stuff isn't luck, it's just poor game management.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

Just now, garnersfags said:

We've missed Pickering, taking him out of the team greatly diminished our attack and took pressure from the defence, getting forward and being a handful - and Chile robbing us of Brereton didn't help. But then we got Giles, by all accounts a fantastic attack minded fullback.

Then TM puts him upfront...

And puts Zeefuick at left back instead - a right back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Great shout bazza, I thought the same, just what we needed, but I bet wouldn't get anywhere near his wage demands. 

I'm hoping Mowbray is looking for a free agent for the bench but he doesn't seem too worried about the situation.

1 hour ago, yankfan said:

Remember when the window closed and TM said something like, “The phone was ringing with clubs offering big number 9s, but we did listen because we don’t play that style…so why bring one in?”  With 61 F’n crosses sure would have been nice for our promotion chances to have an ugly monster like that to put up top. 

not to have the foresight that in the last 17 games that sort of tactic might have been needed is mental 

That’s exactly why Bournemouth bought Moore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Reading 20pages of comments here makes up for me not being able to watch the games here in the USA.  

I live 7 miles from Ewood Park and had to listen to the radio commentary.

You can watch the full game on Rovers TV tomorrow.

Edited by bazza

Kaminski - Fine

Nyambe - Very good. People complaining that he doesn’t cross enough, see Giles

Lenihan - Defensively fine, busy performance, lacked composure but as a centre back hardly surprising. Should’ve done better with the chances he had.

Van Hecke - Decent without being troubled.

Wharton - Decent. Though our left side was where we were vulnerable.

Zeefuik - poor. Seems to have better attacking instincts than defensive ones. Rubbish for the goal. Not a left back, should be cover for Nyambe or to come on late in games

Travis - Very good. Held the midfield together, covered a lot of ground, did the simple things well.

Rothwell - few flashes. Not the statement of intent I was hoping for. Couple of trademark runs that didn’t come off. Get him off set pieces.

Buckley - very poor game. Nullified himself with a daft booking for a dive. Should’ve scored.

Hedges - couple of moments but largely anonymous. Shouldn’t have started.

Giles - looked superb at wing back and possesses bags of quality. Must have been really frustrating for him putting in quality crosses, unfortunately the only time anyone thought about getting on the end of them was when we hit desperation stakes with big defenders up top.

Brereton - needed to start. Bringing him on when they were down to 10 meant he saw basically nothing of the ball. Frustrating when our only instinctive goalscorer is deeper and wider than 6 or 7 other outfield players instead of being in a position to score

Khadra - we know what his strengths are, but it doesn’t always come off for him. Difficult again for him coming on when they had shut up shop.

JRC - coming to crunch time with him. Needs to kick on. Was mostly anonymous apart from a stupid shove on his former teammate. A bit of a nothing sub in the circumstances, and we’d be better off with Vale in the bench instead of Davenport. He’d have been a much better option today.

Moving away from our tried and tested eleven will be our downfall. Hopefully there is a lesson learned today by Tony and this isn’t the return of the tombola.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Reading 20pages of comments here makes up for me not being able to watch the games here in the USA.  

Didn't I already show you how to watch the games on Rovers TV? Dunno if this one would have been available without a VPN as I think ESPN were showing it, but generally speaking you can watch our games on that.