BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Is this why we have our academy? To grow, develop and polish up players so they can be cherry picked and lured away by fecking Middlesbrough on free transfers in the prime of their careers?

If so we'd be better ditching the academy altogether.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Rothwell (£0), Lenihan (£0), Nyambe (£0), Van Hecke (£0), Khadra (£0).

So we're now needing to replace FIVE starters from last season with a grand total of... fuck all money incoming.

We don't have a starting quality RB, CB2 or CM to go with Travis, Brereton is nailed on to leave, pre season starts in days, oh, and we have no manager.

Anybody got a quid?

Screenshot_20220608-103640_Samsung Internet.jpg

It won't free up a lot in wages either. Here is some pure guesswork of course...

Rothwell - 7k

Nyambe - 7k

Lenihan - 12k

Van Hecke - 10k wage contribution

Khadra - 10k wage contribution

I think a couple of those are high estimates tbh. But that comes to 46k p/w, or just over 2.25 million in savings. Probably enough to buy one starter for about 1.5 mill and pay their wages. Or maybe squeeze two cheaper gambles in instead.

9 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Rothwell (£0), Lenihan (£0), Nyambe (£0), Van Hecke (£0), Khadra (£0).

So we're now needing to replace FIVE starters from last season with a grand total of... fuck all money incoming.

We don't have a starting quality RB, CB2 or CM to go with Travis, Brereton is nailed on to leave, pre season starts in days, oh, and we have no manager.

Anybody got a quid?

Screenshot_20220608-103640_Samsung Internet.jpg

where can i find this on there?

4 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Yeh, especially with how many players we need and how little money we are likely to have to play with. But we really can't just keep loaning Prem players, they're not even cheap usually and we need to build our own assets. We really should have relied on this less in previous years of the FFP cycle.

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Is this why we have our academy? To grow, develop and polish up players so they can be cherry picked and lured away by fecking Middlesbrough on free transfers in the prime of their careers?

If so we'd be better ditching the academy altogether.

Let's be fair, we got over 200 games out of Lenihan. And what was it, about 40 percent of our minutes last season came from academy graduates? We are very reliant on the academy even if we never sell players from it for money (we do though, Raya for example).

Given it is exempt from FFP calculations, the owners are happy to fund it and we don't pay graduates much thanks to our ill-considered structure, it's an absolute no brainer to continue with the academy. As far as FFP goes, it's a conveyor belt of free players on low wages.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Feck me sideways, I think a lot of people are having a hang over from lapping up all of yesterdays positivity. 

He's just another average player thats left for more money(a higher salary) than he's worth, he's replaceable. Rovers move on.... 

He’s 28 and never played outside the lower leagues, he can’t even get on the 10 man bench of the worst Ireland side of the past 40 years. He’s the quintessential second division steady Eddie centre half.

All that being said… we still won’t ‘replace’ him with a player as good, which speaks volumes of modern BRFC. So we ‘move on’ ever downwards.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

The crackpots on the Lancashire Telegraph comments are excelling themselves with this one! A few gems…

- Its good that he’s going because no player should stay at a club too long

- Not to worry, we have Annesley

- Lenihan is greedy

- He’s not a big loss

- Not to worry, Gregg B and the as yet unappointed manager will sort it out

- It allows Carter to develop

- Travis will get less yellow cards

- It’s not all doom and gloom, it’s money off the wage bill

- The prospect of new signings is interesting

- If you are unhappy about this you are negative and need to back the club

• Like 4

Big blow to lose Lenihan but can't blame him for moving on. He's been a top pro for us and has moved on to earn more and have a better chance of getting promoted. Nothing wrong with that. Tough summer ahead for us. A complete re-build but perhaps things needed freshening up. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Feck me sideways, I think a lot of people are having a hang over from lapping up all of yesterdays positivity. 

He's just another average player thats left for more money(a higher salary) than he's worth, he's replaceable. Rovers move on.... 

He's a good all-round defender. It will be hard to find as good a replacement with the budget we have.

I guess we will be finding out if Carter can step up, and trying to get a loan in of similar quality to Van Hecke or Harwood-Bellis.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Christ almighty. Some serious denial here, or at least inability to judge a CB. Talking about relying on Ayala is sheer delusion though, guy can barely stay fit. We have signed him after he left Boro, they've signed Lenihan after he left us. I know who is getting the better deal there.

What's particularly galling about it (and probably a big factor why Lenihan is moving on) is despite Lenihan being critical to Rovers, captain and playing most games Ayala is probably being paid double to miss 80% of our games.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, blue_n_white99 said:

The departure of Lenihan and Van Hecke leaves us with a big hole in the centre of defence again, add to that a new RB and the new DoF is going to have to earn his corn from day 1. I guess he also needs a Diaz replacement, a decent left back and some midfielders. Strap in Mr DoF you are going to be busy, busy, busy.

Hopefully he will have a big list of cheap talented players to use.

I reckon it could be an interesting season with a lot of experimental signings.

Still can't really wrap my head around how a decent manager will sign on for our gig - needs to be okay with 1- Crazy distant owners, 2-Brand new DoF, 3-Small budget

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

What's particularly galling about it (and probably a big factor why Lenihan is moving on) is despite Lenihan being critical to Rovers, captain and playing most games Ayala is probably being paid double to miss 80% of our games.

I'd go as far as to suggest he is very likely on more than we were willing to pay Lenihan, at least in our initial offer last summer (which you'd think to be the point where we could have got it over the line if we'd just stumped up a bit more) and probably even on the one that was rumoured to be eventually agreed pending a new manager.

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hopefully he will have a big list of cheap talented players to use.

I reckon it could be an interesting season with a lot of experimental signings.

Still can't really wrap my head around how a decent manager will sign on for our gig - needs to be okay with 1- Crazy distant owners, 2-Brand new DoF, 3-Small budget

After having been in Norway for a while now, he probably doesn't have a big list of cheap talented players, other than ones which won't meet the work permit requirements.

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Mind-blowing anyone calling Lenihan poor. Championship centre halves are exactly that.

They lose concentration and make mistakes, that's why they're not in the Prem.

We'll do extremely well to find a better Championship level centre half than a guy we've just let leave for free to the team who finished one place above us last year. And if we do, we'll have to pay at least 2mil for the privilege. 

Give over.

A manager worth his salt will be able to find an upgrade on a free transfer. 

Lenihan was ok, but he was incredibly clumsy and got caught out often. Coupled with the fact he thought he was Beckenbauer and he's not great loss.

If he's not replaced them we're in trouble, but Van Hecke and Wharton were leagues above him last year. We're not losing a star.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

The crackpots on the Lancashire Telegraph comments are excelling themselves with this one! A few gems…

- Its good that he’s going because no player should stay at a club too long Just had his best ever season with us.

- Not to worry, we have Annesley  Jesus fucking Christ on a rocket-fuel powered jet ski, is this one real?! And not sarcastic? Will never play for us.

- Lenihan is greedy As much as all footballers, but probably not earning that much more at Boro than we offered, and was apparently ready to sign if we got a decent manager in.

- He’s not a big loss Captain, best defender we had on the books, we have a terrible points record when he doesn't play.

- Not to worry, Gregg B and the as yet unappointed manager will sort it out With a budget of 5 snickers bars, and a need to bring in about 7 players on that.

- It allows Carter to develop JPVH going back allowed Carter to develop. Now we have lost two reliable CBs, I would argue we now need to sign two really. We can't rely on one signing to replace two key players now, we have to spread that risk. Probably not the types that would sit on the bench. Whereas I think we could possibly have risked Carter and A. N. Other young CB filling in for just one spot, with Ayala sometimes fit if that didn't work. Some won't agree with my logic here, and that's fair enough, but I think this might result in a scenario where it's harder for Carter to break in.

- Travis will get less yellow cards Just doesn't track, how could one be related to the other?

- It’s not all doom and gloom, it’s money off the wage bill Probably about 10k off the wage bill, 500k per year. And about 2-3 million off the asset sheet. Will cost at least as much in wages to replace.

- The prospect of new signings is interesting  Uh, well I guess that's true. It's also slightly frightening given our current predicament, and we're more likely to land a downgrade than an upgrade, since he was one of the better CBs in the league and we've nary a pot to piss in.

- If you are unhappy about this you are negative and need to back the club Guess I'm negative then. But at least I'm not blind.

I know they're not your comments, Miller, but I felt the need to respond.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Give over.

Lenihan was ok, but he was incredibly clumsy and got caught out often. Coupled with the fact he thought he was Beckenbauer and he's not great loss.

If he's not replaced them we're in trouble, but Van Hecke and Wharton were leagues above him last year. We're not losing a star.

Absolute rubbish he was excellent last season and one of the best defenders in the Championship; making it into the Team of the Season. 

He’s replaceable but we will miss his leadership and Championship experience. One of the reasons Van Hecke & Wharton were so good last season is due to the influence of Lenihan alongside them, often doing the dirty work of winning headers and ugly defending, as well as being good on the ball in more advanced positions. 

Edited by DuffsLeftPeg
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Give over.

I'd love to hear some examples of experienced Championship centre halves available on a free that are an upgrade of Lenihan? Seen as they're readily available 😉